Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah those strip steaks I posted back there were about 1.5” thick. I didn’t time them or anything, just went by look, flipping every so often until I had a perfect, brown surface and they were firm as I would like. Then I put them on their ends to sear the fat. The time ended up about 15 minutes total which is pretty standard with a single flip.

I was always a single-flipper but I am now converted. My steaks are consistently better and more evenly cooked. I also find that you never have to worry about charring—many times on a single flip cook, I would end up flipping earlier than I wanted because the fire was simply too hot for the meat, then the whole thing is off anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

emotive posted:

Tonight: Tacos with roasted cauliflower, salsa macha, pickled onion, feta, cilantro & yogurt

gently caress. I thought my tacos looked good.

Maghrebacos. Chicken, onion, goat cheese, harissa, saffron.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

On the subject of steak, here is another strip grilled and flipped repeatedly. Total cooking time 20 minutes. It was goddamn delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

If I'm fukkin flipping a steak repeatedly for 20 minutes, I'd expect the sear to be a lot more even than that.

The flipping was only about 10-12 minutes of it but ok

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

If I'm flipping a loving steak constantly for 10-12 minutes, I'd expect a more even sear.

You’re right, it’s a fair criticism. I would expect a more even sear no matter how much flipping was happening. Still tasted great and was cooked perfectly throughout, but other steaks done the same way have indeed had a more even sear. I think it was a question of too little charcoal and/or delaying getting the meat on until it had gotten too low.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks pretty amazing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tindahbawx posted:

All this steak talk, what do you guys do if you have to do about 6 at once for your family?

I have one large cast iron griddle pan, and one slightly smaller cast iron griddle pan,l as well as various other pans and the over... how can I go about this so that I have all six steaks ready and done at the same time without making a balls up or over cooking a couple?

Hire someone to flip them constantly

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Made some pasta from scratch and rolled up some meatballs, kept it simple and delicious.

Great shot and food looks amazing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Reztes posted:

E: Welp, top of page, here's a mushroom ragu and pappardelle I made recently, from which I learned that a thick ragu is not the best companion for pappardelle!

I bet this tasted pretty goddamn good though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pork crown roast with pecan apple stuffing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Christmas Dinner 2017

Picked up a few recipes on a trip to Greece, a few more from the amazing French Laundry cookbook by Thomas Keller, some from Gordon Ramsay, Michel Troisgros and others and a few of my own devising. Lots of fun to make everything, and I really like pulling out all the stops at least once a year.

Took about 11 hours of prep and 4 hours to eat everything and drink four bottles of good paired wines.

Inspired by the trip to Greece; first amuse of hazelnut with shrimp and rosemary

Second amuse of pickled oyster, cucumber cappellini and *fake caviar. (Thomas Keller recipe)

First course; carrot puree with citrus confit, pan-fried spinach with sesame oil and lemon confit (recipe by Michel Troisgros)

Second course: Salmon parfait, cucumber 'soup' and tomato jelly with cream, chervil and *fake caviar (Alain Passard recipe)

Third course: Black and white sesame seed coated tuna with beetroot puree, spiced orange jellies and salad leaves. Inspired by a wonderful trip to Greece.

Fourth course: Pan fried foie gras with armagnac-flambéed granny smith apple and chocolate brioche, covered with fresh-shaved black truffle. (own recipe)

Fifth Course: Pan-roasted duck breast with cauliflower and thyme puree, sage sauce and chantarelle mushrooms. Shaved some more black truffle on after but forgot to take a pic. (own recipe)

Sixth course: Roe deer fillet with red wine sauce and braised shallots and squash. Only recipe that didn't quite work as the sauce split quite badly. (Thomas Keller recipe)

Seventh Course: Cheese plate. Clockwise; camembert soaked in calvados, young goats' cheese with truffle, Saint Augur blue cheese and Brie de Meaux

Eighth and Final Course: Granny Smith apple and vanilla butterscotch, prunes soaked in armagnac and Greek yoghurt. (Gordon Ramsay)

Also an hour to do the washing up because no dishwasher.

wow

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone have a killer frittata recipe? Looking to add it to the NYD party menu. Thanks in advance and god bless

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Made a proper lasagne - cooked the sauce for five hours on very low with pancetta, de-skinned Italian sausage and ground beef, made the bechamel and layered it with parmesan and mozzarella.

No pictures of the layers??

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Those lasagne both look delicious but next time please take a picture of the sauce and filling oozing between sheets of pasta so I can finish. TIA

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Exchanged loaves with a local baker today and had to make up some pasta to go along with his bread for dinner.

Gat drat

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Was it really chicken soup though? Am I missing something?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I didn’t see where any chicken was added, sorry. It sounded like turkey soup with the meat stewed off the bones in a pressure cooker. But it makes sense reading it again and looks good either way.

I presume it was a roast turkey carcass? I usually fry turkeys, or smoke them. The resulting stock is very strong, and would overwhelm any chicken and noodles I put in it. I use it for turkey gumbo usually, which is pretty robust.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 5, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Gotta have the pork. That’s the flavor.

I felt you used too many onions, but it was still a very good sauce.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Midniter posted:

does not compute

https://youtu.be/rQV6CijIzrc

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Gotcha. Goddamn that scene always makes me hungry.

I had the same reaction to Lladre’s post

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Meatball and sausage lasagne with smoked mozzarella

Looks amazing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That does looks great. Make some coq au vin next!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

kumba posted:

the juxtaposition of last night's dinner with tonight's - i went as far from vegetarian as possible: hot dogs

boar's head, all beef, natural casing. delicious. buns from publix bakery, because gently caress yeah fresh buns

chop up some leftover veg from last night. more shallot, green onion, and garlic

pan. butter.

add said veg, add salt and pepper, cook

throw them dogs in there. want to get the skin a lil brown without popping them. now, for the ultimate in hot dog toppings

accept no substitute. dump that bad boy in there

have a beer! while that poo poo is simmering, slice and toast your buns. now, it's assembly time

a line of yellow mustard on each toasted bun. then fish out your dogs and get them into the action

next, get all that delicious chili out of that pan, and top with more shallot and green onion

revel in your creation. you're the god drat king of the household, eat like it

Mm...the Kumbiest Maximas

Needs fries

PILED HIGH

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

West coast oysters for life. All the east coast and gulf ones taste like a cross between taint and the smell at low tide when all the rotting seaweed is exposed to the sun.

Surprised we got into this derail and not a chili one

BTW you are wrong as hell and probably eating three day old gulf oysters in June or something

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks more like a sandwich to me

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

iajanus posted:

Made a lasagne from scratch for the first time

unghhh

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Holy poo poo the thread has been a conflagration lately...well done everyone and pretend I quoted you all

e. a few glasses in

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 28, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Corn is indeed on sale, so in advance of Memorial Day here is the simplest of grill meals...

Strip steak topped with sautéed mushrooms, grilled cob of corn, all on a bed of spinach and topped with mushroom beurre noisette

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 28, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I was lucky enough to go to a dinner cooked by Michael Solomonov. It was truly mind blowing. That all looks great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

give me advice for jambalaya. I bought too much hot sausage and now it's jambalaya time

Cook it in a big rear end cast iron pot. Don’t skimp on the stock or the seasoning. Try not to overcook it or it will turn to mush.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

That white sauce (I'm assuming it's just mayo and sour cream?) is what really makes it sing for me. Same with shrimp tacos.

Ah, poo poo. Now I'm hungry.

I like mayo, yogurt, and a little salt and lime juice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

“Coarsely chopped” to me means bunch it up on the cutting board and give it 5-7 cris-crossing chops of the knife.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

:discourse:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jesus 17 hours, how big was that thing? Did you stall out for 8 hours or something?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

overdesigned posted:

Like thirteen pounds. 225F doesn't cook stuff fast.

That's a big rear end shoulder. Whole shoulder I guess. Looks good though, and as they say---it's done when its done.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Spring rolls tonight

With my favorite dipping sauce (vietnamese nuoc cham, I can't spell or pronounce it correctly though :v:)

And some noodles to go with.

God I love this stuff

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah but what is that drink

Looks like a mojito to me, maybe with dark rum or brown sugar.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made some beef pho yesterday. It turned out okay...just missing something. The flavor profile was there, just missing depth. Has anyone made it before? Tips? I used 3 lbs of marrow bones, 1 lb of shank/shin bones and meat, and 1.5 lbs of oxtail for the broth (5 quarts water), 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon, which was close to but not exactly in line with the recipe I was following (Charles Phan, from the Slanted Door). Kenji’s recipe is similar, but a bit heavier on the spices and aromatics. Broth looked good though, nice and clear with a good fattiness.

I took some pictures but it wasn’t much to look at (bowls were too small and crowded).

Pho seems like something not worth the time and effort when you can just order it from an viet restaurant and it’s amazing. Took about 5 hours and I think it probably should have taken longer.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Beef broth by itself has to simmer for at least 5 hours so it should take you longer. That may be why it was lacking.

Yeah, it was poorly planned on my part. I think more time, and more spice/different bones. I will also try roasting the ginger and onions on the grill instead of in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

MSG and fish sauce would be my additions

Did add some fish sauce to taste but could’ve maybe used more. I’ll also try msg.

Grand Fromage posted:

Lime juice when served too. Acid + salt are your first two things to check when something is off and you aren't sure what.

Served with lime, Thai basil, hoisin, sriracha, and mung beans. I think it needed more time and seasoning, and maybe less narrow bones, more leg bones.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!