Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hi. Havent posted here in a long while but last night I was seized by holy fire / Satan herself and committed a crime against God and Italy.

Belacan Puttanesca. Yes, south east asian shrimp paste. Yes, whore style pasta sauce. Replace anchovies 1:1 with this stuff. olives, roast capsicum and mushrooms in the bowl that the bottles were obscuring but throw in your usual puttanesca stuff.

What you end up with is an incredible funky umami dish that will drive you insane if you already loved puttanesca but thought it could be even moreso.

Anyway. Have fun with this knowledge. I'm going to try replacing anchovies in more recipes with fried belacan. We're already forsaken by god!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mmm eggies. Also thanks!

I made this last night

Coconut vegetable laksa curry. Made the paste from scratch because I wanted to test out a recipe without garlic and onions because the gf has a bad allium intolerance. Tasted pretty drat good.

Lotus root, carrot, potato and bamboo shoots, the laksa paste and coconut cream. Next time I want some tofu puffs to throw in this.