Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Lack of effort on the photo front but it came out good. Old fashioned finnish soup with dumplings (unfilled, just flour, salt and milk, love 'em in soup) and some crisp bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Breakfast, rye and ham, I love this ham, locally made, smoked with juniper and it's not like most hams (wet and soppy) but tender and almost falling apart. Definitely my #1 ranked favorite and I don't know any other place that makes it like this.

Then the SO decided we needed more breakfast, so waffles with ice cream and bilberries (picked in the forests around us)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah that one's about dads, I got it for fathers day from my boys, though in reality it was their mom who bought it, they're only 3.

Also MrYenko I am in Finland I know nothing about air travel aside from spending 13 hours with food poisoning in a plane.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wiener Schnitzel and fries with mushroom gravy, I was trying to replicate this dish I got once at a german truck stop / motel in the early 2000s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I used butter and pork, that's the most common meat for schnitzels over here in Finland anyway. The stuff I ate there was pork too I am pretty sure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Double post from the charcuterie thread

And with homemade katz style deli (or so the recipe claims)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Phil Moscowitz posted:

uh you're missing some meat in that sammich I think. Put about twenty more slices in there.

I just don't like that extreme american bread to meat ratio so I don't do that when I make my own, I like to taste the bread and other condiments and as they all meld in my mouth. If I'd eat that much meat in one sitting I might as well just skip the bread.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Butter's still better than the New Trans Fat Shortenings.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's the literal name for them in swedish (jordnötter), same in finnish (maapähkinät).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also made lasagna today

This was more quick and dirty though, with bechamel sauce as it's the only way I know to make it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not really sure what this is, it's one of those meals when you don't really have a lot of ingredients and just cobble something together from what you dfind. I fried rice in oil and spices before adding water. Meanwhile in the pan I sauteed onions, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, then everything got mixed together in the pan and sprinkled with some roasted/fried onions. Kids liked it, turned out pretty good in my own estimate as well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made baked beans according to this recipe. Been binge watching this guys cooking stuff, quite interesting with the old timey cooking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckELeAo-Lzo

Despite doing all the fart-avoidance tips I'm still tooting today.

Also made a blueberry(bilberrry) pie earlier, using berries picked from the forest, super simple traditional recipe:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Today I had last nights dinner again, some quiche with ham and feta cheese:

Then I made some sandwiches because I didn't feel that was enough on it's own. It's a local dark, sweet bread that I fried in some butter and slathered some of this smoked salmon... stuff on. I would have preferred gravlax here since I don't like the taste of smoked salmon that much, but the bell pepper and cucumber did something so the flavours blended wonderfully, I had three of them and picky kid #2 wanted two.

Later we'll have some of these for dessert, this recipe but I halved the sugar because it seemed like a poo poo load. These ones are a bit on the sweet side even as they are. I added the cocoa flakes myself to make it less sticky on your fingers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

-22C outside today so it felt like a good day to make "tomtegröt", or rice pudding I guess is the english word. With sugar, cinnamon and a dab of butter in the middle (we call that the "smöröga", or butter eye). Some people prefer jam instead but I definitely prefer this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks!

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great, what’s the country of origin? Or is it common to all Scandinavian countries with variations?

I don't know really, probably Sweden I bet, but it's common in Finland too, and I guess Norway.

That was lunch, made smash burgers for dinner with some cheese sauce instead of plain cheese, only had toast for bread though,.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And in areas of lappland were meänkieli is spoken they call it kahvijuusto as they traditionally serve it with coffee.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Frying up some pork belly, when the meat's almost done I threw in some onions until they where soft.

Drippings are sauce for the potatoes, and dip for rye bread.
Shoulda had some lingonberry jam but alas it's all in the freezer when I remembered it, then we were already eating.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't quite follow now... We made a bunch last year and froze it. It's just blended with sugar and not cooked so it's gotta be frozen. Still we even freeze cooked jam to be on the safe side.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We just call it cooking jam since that's what we call it (koka sylt på svenska). Can't say I have given much thought to the technical terms in english. Berries are heated up with water and sugar, bbrought to a boil and then keep it going for 10-20 minutes. The jam gets to cool a little while before put in clean jars. Basically how everyone here in the nordic countries make jam AFAIK. It's supposed to be good enough to be kept just in a cool dark room like this until it's opened, but we just toss them in the freezer since we got room and it feels safer.

We use store bought "jam sugar" or "syltsocker" which contains additional stuff like potassium sorbate, pectins and citric acid.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 23, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not sure this counts as dinner but there was only left overs tonight and no actual dinner made. But I did make pancakes, but not as americans might know them. Oven pancakes!

2 eggs
400 ml flour
800ml milk
80ml sugar
100g butter (melted)
1tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients in the usual way. Mix until smooth with a whisk, should have a loose consistency. Pour into a buttered pan, this is a "långpanna" which is 43 x 37.5 cm in size or roughly 17 by 15 inches. I also added in some apples this time because why not.

In sweden they have savoury versions of these too with pork or bacon but here in Finland they're mainly sweet,

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 15, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pasta puttanesca.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Last night meatballs and mashed potatoes and gravy. I don't bother making them round, they fry faster this way.

Today pizza(s)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Decided to make some old school food now that I had baked rye bread a few days ago. Almond potatoes, fried onions and fried pork belly, with a separate saucer for dipping the bread in (drippings is also the sauce for the potatoes). drat it's soo good with the crispy salty bits, beats butter every day of the week. Pretty sure I've posted this food before, I make it so seldom and it feels like such a big event everytime I make it that I photo it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Spring rolls tonight

With my favorite dipping sauce (vietnamese nuoc cham, I can't spell or pronounce it correctly though :v:)

And some noodles to go with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

anakha posted:

If those also have glass noodles as filling, I'm coming over.

They did have that, and those dried mushrooms plus carrots, cabbage and pork. This was our first time making spring rolls, it's a trial run for this weekend when we're hosting a party. What I learned is to keep the moisture down in the filling, mix in some cornstarch with the filling perhaps, and put less in each spring roll. We're frying them in shortening, I like shortening since it seems to keep better than oils.

Had an experiment with beef tallow too but it smelled too bad, lard is a future project, though not this time, some of the inlaws are vegetarians.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just more of the same as last time, wasn't sure it was worth posting but we did come to some conclusions and these spring rolls turned out better, we probably made 60-70 of them. We added corn starch to the filling and also woked the filling before that to drive out excess moisture, this resulted in a much nicer spring roll. But the real kicker came today when after the party we reheated leftovers for dinner. They were so much better now, heating them in the oven on a rack drove a lot of excess fat from the frying out of them and they were much nicer, crisp and less greasy.

And my SO made a whole bucket of some kind of pickled salad with carrots, cabbage and onions, really hits the spot with noodles, spring rolls and some nuoc cham sauce on top.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I tried making something american, a meatball hoagie.

Starting with the meatballs, 50/50 beef pork meatballs, salt, pepper, eggs and loads of pecorino romano.

After browning I start on the sauce:

After cooking and reducing

Loading up the bread with mozzarellla and some other stuff I found in the fridge

Unfortunately they went pretty fast, barely got a photo of one:

I think these were some of the best meatballs I have ever made. I don't think the bread was the best, not soft enough, wanted to split in two. Ideally I should make my own. wish I had gotten more sauce into them, but it was pretty good and drat filling.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fiancé posted this on FB so I guess I'll be eating that, whatever it is (a dumpling I guess), when I get home today.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh I got the name now, Bánh Bao.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pan fried chicken, gravy and rice. Homemade finnish Sima for beverage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grilled a chicken.

Man the kittens are loving the leftovers

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^^^^
Let me lower the standards for you.

Being lazy today so I just grilled some sausages, kids are away at grandparents so no need to cook for a bunch of people.

Goes well with sauerkraut and mustard.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 19, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just your typical cheapo finnish sausages with high flour to meat ratio. I prefer those over the high meat ratio varieties anyway, the classic taste. And hey nowadays I can point out it's more eco-friendly to boot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Shitloads of spring rolls, for our kids birthday party (also cakes and other stuff not pictured). I think next year we will make something else for the guests.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made them all vegetarian this year to make it simpler of rus. So it was a mix of rice noodles, mushrooms (cat's ear), cabbage and carrots that was fried beforehand, spices were soy and fish sauce mainly.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I came on both our kids two days ago eating uncooked ramen noodles. Just crunching down on them. I personally can't stand most ramen noodles but everyone else in the family likes them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Old timey scandinavian food, cabbage casserole.

Most recipes say to blanch the cabbage but I like to fry it instead.

Once it looks done I add some water though and let it go for a while yet. I pour of the liquid for use with the meat mixture. ground beef, bread crumbs, the liquid and two eggs. Spices are just salt, black pepper and white pepper.

Everything is mixed in the oven dish, also molasses are usually added

In the oven for about an hour at 175 C

Served with potatoes and lingon jam (raw).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made a sandwich, I got the recipe from the good eats sandwich episode, I really like this sandwich.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The incredibly annoying food network site redirects me to somewhere else but yeah I am 99.9% sure that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Brawnfire posted:

I usually love pork, but recently I've been getting this inexplicable and unpleasant pissy smell from it and an undeniably similar taste. I don't know if Wegmans changed suppliers to PissPork Incorporated or if I just lost my taste for it somehow, but it's turned me off pork very hard.

Sounds like "ornesmak" to me, no idea of the english term. Can happen to male pigs when they develop to sexual maturity. Which is the reason male piglets are usually neutered.