Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

BrianBoitano posted:

Nice! Recipe?

Really nothing special.

Got the sausage from the store. Par cooked it in a little olive oil. Removed and sliced. Added some sundried tomatoes to the pan. Returned sliced sausage and any juice to the pan to finish cooking. Turned off burner and added some spinach to wilt. Little salt and pepper. Toss it over a bowl of pasta. Drizzle with a little more olive oil if needed. Add some shaved parm.

Sausage had plenty of garlic in it, so I didn’t add any more. Been trying to use restraint with garlic lately.

Was originally going to use mushrooms, but then I remembered the jar of sundried tomatoes I had. Ultimately this was just a heat-up-whatever meal. I was just totaled after spending all day making the macaroni. Managed to come out pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Sorry, I meant for the noodles! I have a coworker with an allergy.

https://youtu.be/Cwl8rnGsiU0

Been following this recipe using Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour. It’s a lot of trial and error but eventually it ends up working for me.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Been on a bit of a ramen kick the last few days.

Just been taking whatever I had in the fridge and throwing it over some noodles. Good weeknight meals.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Stop & Shop is on strike, so all other groceries stores sold out of decent hams a week ago.

I’m going to make four stuffed pork loin instead.

Grandma is making the antipasto.
Mom is making the macaroni and gravy.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Got eggs and leftover veggies?

Why not egg foo young?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Just came back from a week in Prague, and the pizza I had there is better than most of the pizza I’ve had at home in the US.

I’ve been getting pretty lazy the last couple of weeks between traveling and buying a house, but today I decided cook something nice. Have an excess of mushrooms in the kitchen so I decided to stuff some for lunch.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That looks great. What’s the stuffing?

Re: fries—I’m trying to think of bad fried potatoes but nothing happens

Minced onion, celery, and red bell pepper. Crushed Ritz crackers, water, salt, pepper, paprika, chopped parsley.

I think provolone works best as a stuffed mushroom topping, but all I had in the fridge was parmigiano reggiano and mozzarella. Also tasted great.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Was going to make Pad Thai tonight but I forgot to grab bean sprouts on the ride home from work.

Had some butternut squash ravioli in the freezer so I just whipped together a little sage and fig sauce to throw on top of it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Didn't know there's other people who discovered eggs as pizza topping. Goes very well with spicy things.

Will have to try this on the next pizza I make.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Tonight I made a really tasty sauce. Super easy too.

Olive oil, can on anchovy fillets (and oil), sliced garlic, capers, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and some chopped parsley. Sauce took as long to make as the pasta. Just toss in the spaghetti and serve.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Made pisto con huevos tonight. Came out very, very good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Some people aren’t into the big steamed quahogs. Generally the bigger a clam is, the tougher it is. Most people around here will chop up the big ones and use them for clam cakes or chowder. I personally love the big chewy ones just as much as the smaller tender ones.

Typically smaller clams like littlenecks or cherry stones you’d throw over some linguine or just eat them raw like an oyster. The big ones are a meal all their own and you just need some bread to dip in the broth.

A neighbor hauled three huge buckets of these guys out of the beach himself. Asked me if I wanted some because he couldn’t possible eat them all. I ate half raw and steamed the other half.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Food photography is something that lags way behind with me. Also I tend to cook small portions for regular weeknight meals, so sometimes it’s hard to make my plates look “bountiful”.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Wrapping up the weekend with a nice little surf and turf.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

kumba posted:

Thanks for this!

Chicken Tikka over Jasmine rice and that aloo gobi

Will definitely be making that again, so good

Nice :)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

overdesigned posted:

The existence of Chicken Scarpariello was brought to my attention over the weekend, so yesterday I made some up. It's mostly Bon Appetit's recipe but I deboned the thighs because I'm going to be bringing it as work lunches and it's easier to eat that way.

Anyway it's great.

Oh my goodness that looks yummy!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Got a special request from my brother-in-law for a spinach, bacon, mushroom pizza for his birthday.

First pizza in my new kitchen. Came out great!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Woooooo!!! Honey chili kabobs dammit!!!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. Krieger posted:

It was a great day for kebobs

I need to get some flat skewers like those. Hate those wooden ones. Food just spins on them whenever you flip it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

I got these guys, and they're freakin' great. No food spinning, and if you're going an open flame instead of on grill grates, the base is set up so that you can do quarter turns. Even if you're just putting them straight on the grill, they're pretty much as good as a skewer can be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZAVU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These look like they’d work well for me. I’ve tried using two wooden skewers in the past and each time they end up spreading out too far at one end somehow and then my food is spring loaded.

For some reason I just have trouble with the highly advanced technique of cooking food on a stick.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

The clam fairy gave me a special delivery today.

Let’s get something going!!!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Too drat good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

If you eat the shells you'll get to live up to to your name.

Will try this and report back tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Keret posted:

Hey, y'all. I cooked some summery stuff.

Arepas with Tofu-Lemon Cream/Avocado/Sautéed Zuccs/Pepitas; Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs

I’m going to give this one a try.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Definitely my best looking frittata.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Another great night for a quick Pad Thai!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

This looks too good to have been quick. Make it look worse.

To be fair, I make Pad Thai probably once or twice a month so the whole thing is pretty much muscle memory at this point.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

vuk83 posted:

Dinner was Jacques pepin potato lee soup, added some carrot. Side of bread with parmesan. Also there is some in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

That’s a killer potato leek soup recipe he does.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Do you have a go-to recipe for this? I would really like to be able to make good Pad Thai. The Thai place down the road from me just closed, and I need my fix.

“Sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

Pre warm rice noodles in warm/hot water for a few minutes until they’re mostly cooked. Strain.

In wok sauté shrimp (or tofu, or chicken) with a little oil until par cooked. Add pre-warmed rice noodles and mix together. Push to side and drop in two eggs to briefly scramble and then stir up and mix into noodles and shrimp. Pour in the sauce. Add shaved carrot, mung bean sprouts, chopped scallions. Stir all together.

Serve and garnish with crushed peanuts (preferably toasted), chopped cilantro and lime wedges “

This is my standard recipe. It’s a good jumping off point. After making it over and over I’ve kind of switched around the order that I add things to the wok. But that really depends on the way you like to stir fry things... the kind of wok you have, how much oil you like to use, temp, etc.

Like now I usually cook the eggs first and take them out and add them back towards the end. They were getting too mashed up with all the stirring and tossing.

Sauce recipe is still the same because I think it’s pretty excellent.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 26, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

My friend gave me a big pile of hot peppers. Figured I’d roast them and see how they turned out.

I’ve been putting them on EVERYTHING. Was wondering how long they’d stay preserved with just a little olive oil and salt. But at the rate I’m eating them they won’t last a week.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 6, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I always underestimate the time it’s going to take me to make ramen. Still it was worth it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

Sticky tamarind chicken from Dinner: Changing the Game over rice with raita, bitter melon pickles and matar paneer that was totally not made with jar sauce. I did make the paneer myself though!

The chicken recipe itself is 5/5 and probably would be even better if I had actually remembered to turn the chicken to get the sauce to stick to it. The recipe doesn't call for you to finish it off under the broiler but that would probably be a further improvement.

I need to get some nice metal serving platters and ramekins to up my Indian plating.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Pasta and Peas tonight! This is one of those dishes I never appreciated growing up. Whenever my mom would cook it, I couldn’t haves cared less. Now it’s one of my staple weeknight dishes all over again.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

nwin posted:

Help me make this-I tried it tonight but it didn’t taste like much and I couldn’t get the noodles to mix well with the chicken, egg, or sprouts.

I used half a pack of rice noodles-is that what you usually use?

I also don’t have a wok so I did it in a nonstick pan.

I cooked the eggs first, set them aside, then I cooked the chicken, added in the drained noodles, added sauce, green onions and sprouts (I didn’t have carrots), then I tried to mix it all together but the chicken and egg just would not incorporate into the noodles, so I basically plated the noodles first and then topped it with the chicken and the egg.

For the flavor, it just didn’t taste much like anything. It smelled fishy because the fish sauce bit that was it. I added sriracha, more cilantro, more peanuts, more like juice, and some extra soy and that helped a little bit. I think I should maybe add some more honey next time?

Definitely try more honey. Or sugar if that’s more your thing.

Half pack of noodles sounds right, and a decent nonstick pan should work fine as long as it’s big enough. You can also try fully cooking and removing both the eggs and chicken, and adding them back after the sauce has had a couple of minutes to set into the noodles and veggies. Usually there’s still plenty of sauce to soak into the chicken and eggs afterwards.

For me this recipe has been a lot of trial and error. I forget where I found the original recipe. Over time it’s changed so much. I think Pad Thai is a perfect platform to really make a recipe your own. After you make it a few times the tweaks you make will really tailor it to your own tastes. You make it two or three more times you’ll probably have something totally different than the way I do it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Going to a late Friendsgiving tonight and had a request to try and recreate my grandma’s beloved Antipasto. We’ll see how it goes down.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Look like anchovies for sure.

Anchovies!

Some people love them on there. Others don’t, so I just put them on like half.

Rest of the ingredients are romaine lettuce, prosciutto, cubed hard provolone, tomatoes, sliced pickled peppers, sliced sweet gherkins, black and green olives.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 8, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Chicken Breast Tapenade with Mushroom Sauce. Classic Jacques Pepin recipe.

Side of spinach and crushed roasted almonds.

The Tapenade:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Been a while since I made an eggplant parm. I think it’s my wife’s favorite thing I make.

Nice corner piece for me.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

That reminds me. I love eggplant parm and have never made it. I'll have to rectify that.

Takes a while, but it’s very rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

I got filmed for a cooking segment about hunting, wild game and cooking so I made a venison recipe with a blueberry sauce, then ate it for dinner. I hate being on the wrong side of a camera lens but I still managed to grab some of my own photos of the prep and final product.

Venison w/ Blueberry Sauce by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Oh yeah nice! Need to wait for my barber to kill a deer this year.