Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Bought a heat gun to try and see if it was as good as people say for searing a steak post sous-vide. My first unfortunate victim was a 16oz ribeye:

I'll need a bit more practice with it, and it's certainly trickier to do than the tried-and-true searing hot pan method, but there was no smoke during the entire process searing with it.

Which is fantastic, as most tenants in my apartment complex get real freaked out at the slightest hint of smoke after a neighbor lit the kitchen in their unit on fire a month ago. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Spaghetti-o's Bloody Mary, would not recommend.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Dinner tonight is this loaf of bread.

It has been an incredibly long time since I baked a loaf of bread and I've never been good at it anyway, so I used this week to get try and learn the process again, using what limited resources I can get my hands on (no access to bread flour, or a good dutch oven, or etc). It's my dinner because this is attempt #3 this weekend after two incredibly bad gently caress-ups. But they were gently caress-ups I learned from that eventually got me to this passable loaf, so I can't complain too much.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

New Jersey Rippers is my stripper name.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Sometimes the end of the week calls for some low effort chili.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I fried oyster mushrooms for dinner.

No pictures after that but I used them for little fake poboys, with a side of roasted brussels sprouts. Very tasty, very heavy. Last night we had Kenji's black bean burgers so I feel like I'm catching up on all the classic Autumn fair foods that I missed out on this year.

I wish I could get my hands on enough oyster mushrooms to fry them like that.

Good stuff

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

First time making butter chicken for meal prep tonight.

Tasted pretty good! I followed Joshua Weissman's recent recipe for it, but had some issues with the fond starting to burn before I got a decent sear on the chicken, so it didn't turn out as well as I'd hope. But it was tasty and I don't think I'm going to have an issue gobbling up the rest over the next week.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Breakfast for dinner night with a basic pan sauce.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I've only had A5 wagyu twice in my life: once with very small, thinly sliced portions, and once an entire ribeye.

They were both fantastic experiences but boy howdy did I regret tackling the whole steak later on, the richness definitely messed with my stomach.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

elise the great posted:

Sounds like you’ve never experienced Cougar Gold, the world-class award-winning cheddar in a can

No, seriously

Cougar gold is fantastic and makes a great gift. Just don't ask what kind of milk it's made from.

Especially don't ask what milk their viking cheese is made from.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

A NY strip I got with my local farm share ended up being butchered for two.

So double the steak dinner for me!

Really enjoying chilling the steaks after the puddle and searing in a lower heat in butter. Butter ends up browned by the time the steaks are finished being seared and you can unceremoniously dump it on top because, you know, brown butter.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

On my own for Thanksgiving this year so I roasted some chicken legs I got from my farm share.

Roasted chicken legs, split into drums and thighs, with mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts. I missed my Tia's cooking so I stole her forbidden mashed potato technique and mixed a half tub of chive and onion cream cheese into the pot before serving.

Basic but tasty. I did get to teach my dog the time honored tradition of snacking on crispy, savory chicken skin after the chicken legs came out of the oven though. He seemed to appreciate that, at least. :unsmith:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Gyudon for dinner tonight, topped with a raw egg, sesame seeds and sliced scallion. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Meal prep tonight was an experiment. I recently watched a video from Middle Eats for a Turkish kebab recipe and what shortly followed was another YouTube video about sausage rolls. That combination lived rent free in my head for about a week when my farm share delivered me a pound of ground lamb. So I gave it a shot, mixed it with some ground up onion, garlic, parsley, plenty of paprika, then I wrapped it in puff pastry, slapped on an egg wash and topped with za'atar before throwing it into an oven pre-heated to 400 F for 20-25 minutes.

The end result was surprisingly pretty good.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 13, 2024