Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
MIso glazed salmon. Served with stir fried broccoli and rice noodles. My two year old demolished an adult sized portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

MiddleOne posted:

Is there any secret to a shiny salmon glaze? I know that it's not exactly the most complicated thing in the world but it's just something that I've never done before.

Really couldn't say. The glaze was miso, mirrin, soy and ginger. Fish was cooked skin side down and finished under the grill / broiler. The finishing probably helped with the shine but I wouldn't say for sure.

There's some good looking food getting posted.

Red Snapper, Sweet Potato Mash, Creole Sauce

Handmade Tagliatelle, Kabocha Squash & Roast Garlic Cream, Poblano Jalapeno Pesto Splatter, Toasted Pepitas and Bacon

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Valentine's Dinner:

Scallop Fra Diavolo with Black Tagliatelle and Peas.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Pork Shoulder Braised in Cider.

Pan Fried Skate Wing with Thai Green Curry.

Huge Strawberry Shortcake for Cousin-in-Law's birthday. With bonus layer of Cap'n Crunch mixed with White Chocolate.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
It's been a while since I was masturbated at.

Skate does taste similar to scallop, but it has a very distinct flesh, kind of noodle like, utterly different to a scallop. Monk fish was used in the UK as fake Scampi as it had a similar flavour so I'd not be surprised if it was used to fake scallops.

Never had to soak it, just remove membrane and trim it up. Never found it to have a urea taste.

Ranter posted:

Tell me more about this, please.

I use a skin on pork shoulder, makes the sauce nice and gelatinous. Sear it off, use the resulting fat to colour up carrots, shallots, fennel, leek and celery. I also added some trotter bits because I had them. De-glaze with dry cider (alcoholic, of course). Add fennel fronds, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and a generous amount of pepper. Use enough cider to cover the pork to begin with and gently simmer for about three hours until it temps at about 140f/60c. Pull out the meat and let it rest. Remove the herbs. Slice and serve with mashed potato, champ, rutabega, something to soak up juices and the braising liquid along with the braising veg. Green cabbage goes well too.

Tiggum posted:

How do you go about eating that?

There's a fork in the picture. Could be a clue.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've chucked a spoonful or so of flour in when the veg is browned before. Hey presto, pork roux.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
A deep pan pizza.

A chilli of Beef Heart and Chuck.

A Cod in curry spices with Saag Aloo and a Tomato Onion Cucumber Cachumber.

Sticky Vietnamese style Chicken with Noodle salad.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Two way with a duck. Slow roast leg, pan roast breast, garden rhubarb sauce, black rice, beetroot and cress.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Some decent recents:

Honey Pork with Charred Leek and Corn Salad, Citrus Soy Dressing.

Leg Of Lamb with Roast Squash Puree, Sprouts and Pepitas.

Memorial Day Ribs.

Skirt Steak.

Salmon, Potatoes, Peas and Sorrel Sauce.

Sesame Crusted Tuna, Noodle Salad, Ginger Lime Dressing.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Shrapnig posted:

Tell me more.

The Sorrel sauce? Sweat off shallots, reduce a bit of pernod or vermouth, stir in a lot of shredded sorrel. Add cream and let it gently cook until the cream tastes sorrelly. Season. Sorrel has a strident citrus taste, like a tangerine spinning with a lemon, that doesn't linger too long on the tongue. There's a slight anise note too, feathery but it's there. The cream mellows that out. Unfortunately sorrel does have a tendency to turn brown when cooked. Blanching hasn't helped me yet.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Went to the Chicago In White pop up picnic a couple of weeks back.

Made Salmon Rillettes and Cucumber Gazpacho.

A large Pork Pie with some Piccalilli (The yellow stuff) to perk it up some.

It attracted passing Brits, Australians and a gaggle of Southern ladies who thought it was a head cheese pie.

Not pictured is a Cardamom Parfait (Frozen cream custard) served with spheres of pears poached in mulled wine, mulled wine syrup, almond and oat crumble and fresh garden raspberries.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Reztes posted:

Shakshouka! I've never even had shakshouka before, but I think I'm going to be making this all the time now. Tasted pretty delicious just using store brand crushed tomatoes, though I saw San Marzanos recommended in a couple of recipes. Really this is just further convincing me to grow my own tomatoes.

If you're planning on growing San Marzano tomatoes, having grown them I'd say, waste of time.

First off, they're prone to blossom rot. Chalk in the soil can help there but...
Second, they're not that special.

San Marzano are superb canned tomatoes. Heston Blumenthal reckons it's because they're grown on the slopes of Vesuvius. The volcanic ash in the soil means they have a low acid and a low pectin content. This produces a soft moist canned tomato that breaks down easily in a sauce and has a great (almost roast tomato) flavour. As a tomato on the vine, they're kind of flaccid.

So unless you live on the slopes of a volcano where the soil is full of desiccated Romans, pick a good heirloom.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Had a good month of cooking.

Elderflower and Poppy Seed Cake with Candied Rose Petals. Turned out it was my sisters wedding cake, something that no-one bothered to tell me. Else it'd be bigger.

Duck Breast with Mushrooms and Venison Sausage, Plum Sauce. Plating's a mess and the broccoli's present because my toddler insisted on it, but it was tasty and created in a Cornish holiday cottage where the only sharp knife was my pocket knife and the plates were plastic. Plus I was overly filled with Scrumpy.

Venison Meatballs, Handmade Tagliatelle, Tomato Chilli Sauce.

Potato Ricotta Pizza

Swordfish with Udon and a Ginger Broth.

Braised Lamb Shank, Butternut Anise Puree, Roast Carrot, Minted Peas and Parsnip Chips.

Cod with Toasted Corn Broth. Bloody lovely.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

emotive posted:

I used this recipe:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-harissa-2

Not sure you can really even call it harissa, but it was delicious either way.

Yeah, I'd hesitate to call it a Harissa as there's no mint which for me is what makes Harrissa distinct from other chilli pastes. But tasting good is always more important than what a thing is called.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Corn Chowder with Shrimp and Pepper.

Cavatappi & Cheese with Pickled Chillies.

Deep pan Pizza with Egg as insisted upon by toddler.

Cob loaf.

Cod And N Triple Cooked Chops, Tartar Sauce, Peas, X Wing.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Black Bean & Pepper Stew with Pickled Onions

Reworking the Sausage Roll: Homemade Sausage Meat with Dried Cranberries, wrapped in Brik Pastry, Shoestrings of Potato and Deep Fried.

Blobby Race Car Cake for Toddler.

Chicken Thighs, Honey Roast Roots, Wild Rice, Blackberries

Sesame Tuna, Udon, Ginger Broth. Tuna was hacked in half with spatula by impatient toddler who really understands 'sharing' when it comes to other peoples fish.

Said toddlers portion.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Always prefer a slow and low roast over a simmering for Corned Beef . Mash was greener in reality, thanks to a Parsley and Roast Garlic puree.

And there might have been snow on the ground yesterday morning, but it went and left us with a nice Spring day. And Spring means Grilling.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Made homemade chicken noodle soup for the first time! Simple, I know, but I'm proud.

(There's not that much of an overload on noodles overall, that was just a noodle-heavy bowl)

Simple is good. Love the shimmering chicken fat. Means there's gonna be some flavour there.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Cheap corn season so Corn Chowder with Charred Poblano and Corn & Cod Pakora type things.

Duck Egg Linguini, Clams, Mussels, Asparagus, Stupid Big Clam.

The Meatloaf

Roast Monkfish, Leeks, Confit Potato, Beetroot

Roast Cod, Beet and Arugula Salad

Pre-Memorial Day Donarish Kebabs, Homemade Pita, Garlic Mayo, Pickled Chillies, Cucumber/Tomato/Onion/Lime/Mint Salad. Potato Fennel Salad. Obvious Corn. Little question. Of the 14 American adults in attendance not one knew that Pita has a pocket in which stuff is stuffed. Is this normal?

Dessert for above: Vanilla Ice Cream, Roast Strawberry Sauce, Golden Syrup Honeycomb, Bee Pollen (only the latter was not home made)

Big Beef City posted:

Grilled trout stuffed with a mixture of crab meat, lemon, ricotta, and parsley.

drat.

Grand Fromage posted:

Had a tuna steak and wanted to do something different than sashimi or seared, so I thought about frying. Marinated it in soy, mirin, and yuzukosho for a bit, panko coated and deep fried. Also fried a lump of green beans and made a little donburi.

Turned out fantastic, definitely will do this again. Need to do something more with the green beans though, could use more flavor in there.
Goddamn

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Camera decided to die with dignity, so stuck with terrible phone pictures from my terrible phone.

A Strawberry Frangipane Tart

Potato Salad (roast garlic mayon, borage, chives)

Cider Braised Pork Belly, Maple / Anise / Corriander Seed Glazed Cracklings, Apple Sauce with Fennel Seed, Cider Braised Fennel, Pea Puree (was much much greener), Beetroots, a Charred Shallot and Braising Liquor.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The eyes are the sweetest part of the strawberry.

Being made of sugar and all.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Butternut Squash Ravioli, Mushroom Parm Crema.

Pork Tenderloin slow roasted with Grapes and Fennel, Goat Cheese Polenta, Stewed Mushrooms.

Beef Short Rib Ragu, Gnocchi, Green Beans

And for our 2.5 person Thanksgiving, we got some good food in before the family one this weekend.

Turkey Ballotine, Dirty Black and Wild Rice, Tarragon Gravy, Balsamic Beetroot.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
This time of year is the kids birthday so that means cakes and mostly pork based party food.

BatCake.

Inside the BatCake. Lemon Sponge, Blackcurrant Buttercream.

Hummus with Pepitas, Zatar and Paprika.

Scotch Quail Eggs (Homemade Sausage Meat with Mace, Nutmeg, Bacon, Apple)

Sausage Rolls (Same Sausage Meat as above in Phyllo)

And then comes Christmas.......

Yule Log (Chocolate Sponges, Chestnut Vanilla Cream, Pistachio Moss, Meringue Snow, Fondant Fox, Frog, Rabbit and Stingray)

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Tomato Soup, Griddled Cheese Sandwich, Bubbles.

Hopping John and Corn Bread Muffins.

Ginger Cake, Cream Cheese Pecan Buttercream, Salted Caramel Goo, Bee Pollen, Poached Pears.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
It's been a while.

Beetroot and Labneh and Hazelnut dip thing (Ottolenghi) with Parsnip Crisps.

Orange Honey Chicken (from Charlie Trotter at Home), Sweet Potato, Snowpeas and Rocket and Mulberries.

Croque Mesdames.

A Good Ducking Threesome: Pan roasted Breast, Confit Leg, BonBon Thighs. Wild Rice.

Fish and n Chips with better than pictured Chips.

Crispy Pork Belly with Cherries and Beetroot

Pomegranate Molasses Glazed Roast Salmon (from NerdswithKnives), Cauliflower.

Pork Chop, Warm Salad of White Beans, Grilled Leeks and puddles of Mustard Dressing

Fried Squid and Pigs Ear, Fennel Grapefruit Salad.

Tuna Nicoise.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

That Works posted:

holy poo poo

Thanks. Also, for reminding me what I meant to do yesterday.

That Works posted:

Steak tips marinated in soy, honey and sesame+chili oil over jasmine rice. Cucumber and pickled onion and some fresh purple sugarsnap peas from the garden tossed in sesame+chili oil and furikake.

Garden season is the best season.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Something I cook in various configurations. Yet to get a decent photo. For some reason it's elusive.

Cod, pan fried in Chorizo fats, Spanish Chorizo garnish, bed of Herbed Potatoes, Slow Olive Oil Poached Garden Tomatoes, Fennel and Shallots.

Grand Fromage posted:

Finally got an eggplant in the garden so decided to make tendon. Also other garden vegetables: green beans, snow peas, mini Japanese turnips, assorted green leaves, and a couple pieces of flounder (not from the garden).

Can you clarify what Tendon is? It's obviously not connecting tissue, but a quick google doesn't teach me anything of any use. Good looking thing though.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Goat Brie, Puff Pastry, Homemade Mango Chutney, Pistachios that got all charred from being baked.

Sweet Potato Gnocchi, Tomatoes Confit with Scotch Bonnet, Garden Herb Pesto (Sorrel, Basil, Thyme, Mint, Cilantro), Fresh Cheese. I took the liquor remaining from the cheese making, reduced it which also caramalised it and made a Mornay from it.

Pork An' Beans. Pork Cheeks braised in Cider and Mustard, finished with mustard. White Beans with Leeks and Tomato Concasse. Sauted Kale. Braising Liquor.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Drink and Fight posted:

I made another pizza. Pork chile verde.

Pickled onions on Pizza should be mandatory.

I been doing a couple of things.

First, I foraged some Oyster mushrooms.

I made a little tart with goat cheese, watercress cream and tumbled the 'shrooms on top. Added some garden Beetroot (pickled, raw and leaves as a salad) and a little carrot. And took a shite photo of it.

The tart was way too delicate and crumbled. So I did it again.

This time it was a Pecorino Romano and Mustard Tart, a Fennel Vermouth Soubise to sauce Chicken Thigh, Leek and Tarragon with a Crispy Chicken Skin, Fennel Frond., Lemon Zest type thing crumbled on top. Sprouts were also involved because it was dinner. Much better tart. Rolled it thicker, cooked it smarter.

Then I decided that since I finally had some hog intestines, I should make some sausages. So I did.

Lots of Mace and Sage and Rusk instead of breadcrumbs. Was pretty happy as for the first time running the sausage stuffing gear, it worked.

Second go on stuffing had a couple of air pockets but again, feeling good about sausage futures.

Also made a Pineapple Starfruit Cherry Coconut Cardamom Upside Down cake.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Just got back from a trip to the UK where I was able to indulge in cooking stuff I miss.

Barnsley Chop, Apple, Chilli, Broccoli Rabe and Mange Tout

Haddock, Bean Ragout, Pea Pods, Shrimps

Mac & Cheese with Foraged Mushrooms and Chilli Jam.

Partridge with a Rosemary Spike up the Butt, Bacon, Celeriac, Red Currants, Maple Glazed Chantenay Carrots, Broad Beans

Pork Belly, Corriander Seed, Beetroot, Baby Leeks

Sea Bass, Yellow Courgette Ribbons, Tomato, Corriander Leaf Vinaigrette

Bacon Wrapped Haunch of Venison cooked in a pokey room with two induction burners and a little convection oven.

Served with Bubble and Squeak, Mange Toute and a Cider Sauce

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And who says British food is awful? I think I've seen the Two Fat Ladies do something very similar to a bacon wrapped haunch of venison (or maybe it was a bacon wrapped partridge? they do alot of 'bacon wrapped')

What is a barnsley chop? It looks delicious.

It's exactly what Torquemada says it is, a double cut across the saddle of the beast.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

His stuff is just so........ edible. It's like hugs.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I made fancy dinner.

Had leftover Blood Cake. So I braised some Trotters and Pig Tails with masses of vegetables. Picked the meat and added it to the Blood Cake with some Apple and made a Bon Bon. It's resting on Rutabaga Puree which was sweetened with Maple and made great with Butter. I took the Trotter Stock and used it to braise Pork Cheeks and Shallots. The Pork Cheek is sitting on a Bubble and Squeak (Baked Potato and crisped Kale with Roast Celeriac). Between the two are Fava Beans, Pea Shoots and Pork Crackling. All scattered with Chervil and a some of the well reduced Trotter Stock with more waiting to be poured over.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

I love venison, blueberry sauce is a great addition, the cook is spot on. But drat, that rosemary, pretty as it is, aromatic as it would be, is making my inedible garnish eye twitch. I probably should relax.

Winter means Chilli. This one was made with Shin of Beef. Bones, marrow and all.

Made a Shrimp dish I'm quite pleased with Red Shrimp, Crispy Cavolo Nero (Lacinato Kale), Celeriac Mash and a Pernod Sauce.

And December means it's the offsprings 5th Birthday. He wanted a Strawberry Lemon Cake. So I made a cake with Meyer Lemon Cake, Roast Strawberry Jam, Liquid Cheesecake.

Then he wanted it to be a Hulk cake. A Hulk fist cake. That was fine. Then the mind was changed and he wanted me to draw a picture of the Hulk. I can't draw for poo poo. So a compromise was reached.

Hulk Smash!

For the actual day of his birthday he asked for Mac & Cheese & Shrimp & Mashed Potato.

So I made Mac & Cheese with Comte and Gruyere, Red Shrimp, Bacon and Fennel Jam. And Rubuchon Mashed Potato which I made a Chicken Butter sauce for.

And having lots of Chicken Butter left, I made Sweet Potato Gnocchi (Served with unpictured Charred Brussels Sprouts and Crispy Chicken Thighs)

(Chicken Butter is 50 - 50 of Dark Chicken Stock to Brown Butter, blended together)

An' Christmas means Gingerbread

Cavenagh fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 21, 2019

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Yay fer the Christmas. An excuse to cook for more than normal.

Mincepies. Deep ones.

Slow low roasted Prime Rib lump.

And inside........

The essential vegetables. Top right some tiny Pearl Onions roasted in their skins alongside the Beef. Below that are Parsnips & Carrots with Blackberries and Maple. The big pot holds Lacinato Kale braised with Bacon, Hazelnuts, Shallots and Stock. Above that some dry fried Snake Beans to honour Cthulhu. Then Potatoes roasted in Goose Fat.

One of the attendees was an eight year old who happens to be extremely autistic. He's been put on a Gluten-Free Lactose Free diet to try and help him. I have no idea if it works or is scientific, I just know he gets excluded having dessert when he's around us. Last time was at my kids birthday, where he sat with a frosted rice krispie treat, rather than joining in with everyone else eating awesome cake.

So I made a Pavlova.

Topped with Coconut Milk, beaten to be as thick as Whipped Cream. Poached Pears. Starfruit with a little Orange Blossom and Pomegranate seeds. Accompanied with a sauce made from the Poaching Liquor and Dates.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

toplitzin posted:

I also made a cake.

So you did.

But what kind?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Been a while.

I seem to have made a lot of pasta.

Also, cooking from cookbooks.

One of the last things I did before the shelter in place was go to a St John's Restaurant (Fergus Henderson) pop up in Chicago. There was a salad, a simple one of Roast Tomato, Little Gem and Anchovies. I've been replicating it ever since.

Chicken Breast, Chicken Skin, Green Beans, Roast Tomato, Buttermilk Yogurt and Tarragon Splooge. Mostly a Graham Elliot recipe.

Handmade Bao with Pork and Pineapple, Pickled Green Onions and Chilli Bean Paste.

Pasta in a Kale Sauce with Pickled Beetroot. Kale Sauce is from Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Burger with Inserted Diced Mushrooms and Mushroom Puree on Homemade Crusty Rolls with Fennel Coleslaw, Mushroom Bacon and Blueberry Mostarda and a Rarebit inspired Mushroom Mornay.

Pot Roast Cauliflower with Tomato and Anchovies (April Bloomfield) and Chick Peas.

Succotash Stuffed Pasta with Roast Tomato from Cool Beans by Joe Yonan. One day the book will return to the library.

Butternut Squash and Pork Ragu with Handmade Tagliatelle or whatever the gently caress my pasta maker makes that isn't spaghetti. Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden again.

Chanas Sindhi Style, Kerala, Homemade Chapati.

Sourdough Toast of course, Tonnato (Tuna blended with Mayo), Roast Tomato, Soft Boiled Eggs, Capers, Grilled Corn.

Woven Lasagna stuffed with Homemade Fresh Cheese, Prosciutto, Fresh Spinach Sauce with Peas and Snow Peas. Right off the cover of the latest Food & Wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

toplitzin posted:

Dumped tonight

Goondolances.

Looks wonderful.