Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
When you're craving Frito pie, but your girlfriend wants a fancy dinner.

Made another batch of venison chili, and still had Fritos lying around, so deconstructed Frito pie it is! I had a normal bowl after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

snyprmag posted:

Easy weeknight Valentine's with sous vide t-bone and chimichurri (shouts out Random Hero's from last page) with Kenji's 3-ingredient mac and cheese and some steamed broccolini.

Looks awesome! How's the mac and cheese? I watched the video, but haven't tried it yet.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Those are not hotdogs.

But are they sandwiches?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
6 is my base time for small eggs straight out of the fridge. Add 20 seconds for medium eggs, another 20 for really big ones, and then subtract 30 seconds if eggs are room temp. Immediately run cold water into the pan after timer goes off. This formula has worked perfectly for me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I had the day off so, spent the whole day cooking and made whatever you want to call this. Pizzaan? Nazza?

Made a batch of Madhur Jaffrey's naan, then a big batch of palak paneer and chicken tikka masala with thighs. The chicken thighs were grilled about 1 inch over the top of oak wood coals in the oven, which gave the tikka a really intense smokiness that was awesome.

They thickened up enough in the oven that there was no dripping/sliding. It was pretty stable, and I could see this being awesome street food.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 15, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's a "Pizzone", the biggest in the line of Pizza Party brand ovens from Italy. It's freakin' great. It was about 1/3rd the price of installing a traditional outdoor brick/clay wood oven, it's very portable, and it heats up in like 30 minutes instead of 2-4 hours like a normal big oven. It can get every bit as hot though, and I have topped out my IR thermometer more than once (1050f). Come on over to the pizza thread. Another goon has a smaller model and kicks out awesome pies.

The only downsides are that it's small and doesn't have enough thermal mass to easily bake bread, only pizzas, and it just doesn't look nearly as cool as a big installed oven does. Even in the biggest one, it's a squeeze to fit two pizzas in at once, but if you are even capable of opening/topping two pizzas before the first two are done, you are a master/professional, and have a $10K+ oven already.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mikey Purp posted:

That sounds awesome, thanks for the info! I just bought a house and adding a brick oven to the backyard is on my wish list. I bake a lot of bread, though...so I guess for now I'll stick with the DIY build route.

A full build will be great. I'm jealous. I wanted to build one myself, but am actively planning on buying a new house in the next two years, so I really didn't want to go to all that effort, and then move away.

If you haven't seen it, there was a goon thread about his build that was pretty informative. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553893

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the meat smoking thread.

Made a big loaf of rye bread, and a full packer brisket of Ruhlman pastrami. Man knows his stuff, it was loving heaven. I smoked it all the way up to 203 though, didn't steam it. Based on advice I may have gotten here, I broke the packer down into the point, then cut the flat in half to end up with 3 4-5lb chunks that were much more easily manageable.

The point was too tender to slice at all while still hot, so had some big chunks of one of the pieces of flat. Super good, if almost too tender actually.

Side shot of the point the next day.

Sliced cold on the slicer. A sandwich's worth. I then vac bagged it and put it in the sous vide at 150 to warm back up.

Toasted rye, mustard on both sides. So good. Juuusssst fatty enough, super tender. Heavy pepper and coriander, with just enough pickling spice.

Will be making some pastrami hash with edge pieces and trimmings.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Hmm, I think lasagna bolognese sounds good tonight.

7 hours later....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

wine french, so what

Unf, that was exactly me about 6 weeks ago, including a bordeaux... Your lasagna looks loving perfect.

I will not make lasagna tomorrow... I will not make lasagna tomorrow... I will not make lasagna tomorrow...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the Pizza making thread.

Incoming photo dump!

Butterflied a leg of lamb, filled with finely chopped lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper. Trussed it back up and popped it into the sous vide at 130 for a few hours.

Took it out, skewered it and seared it over the fire to get it browned.

Ended up with a super smokey hit, which was awesome. By itself one of the best things that I have ever made.

Chilled and then sliced thin.

Ended up on a pizza with : Havarti, green olives, frisee dressed with a lemon and cured egg yolk vinaigrette, and sliced parm. Was loving awesome. Smokey, herbacious, rich, bright from the lemon, salty from the olives, nutty from the parm. Highly recommend.

Just a standard but delicious pizza with Calabrese, tomato, dry mozz and fermented chili oil.

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Lots of pics incoming!

Did a bunch of cooking over the holidays.

Redneck Ranch Oyster Crackers
Fudge (the tiny container has 20 drops of pure capsaicin added, which was fun)
Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread
Browned Butter Sugar Cookie Dough with Star Wars Cutters
Salted Browned Butter and Tahitian Vanilla Bean Rice Crispy Treats (Smitten Kitchen's recipe + a scraped vanilla bean. These were loving incredible.)

Star Wars cookies of varying success. C-3P0 was unrecognizable, and the trooper looks very :smith: These seriously took more than twice as long as everything else combined. Really loving good though, and they were a huge hit.

Came back from visiting family for the holidays and decided to break out the first of this year's venison backstrap. Salted, peppered, wrapped in smoked hot copa, cooked sous vide at 130, cooled a bit then fried to crisp the copa. Served with a red wine demi glace.

Served with broiled asparagus and garlic fingerling potatoes. We were in the middle of a cutthroat game of Adventure Time Monopoly. Definitely in the top 5 things I have ever made.

For the final weekend of the long holiday, my fiance suggested doing Beef Wellington again. Sounded great, but I decided to finally make puff pastry from scratch for the first time. After about 5 hours (intermittent work) I was REALLY hoping it wouldn't be much better than store-bought raw puff, so that I would never justify the pain in the rear end ever again. Alas, that was not to be...

Test strip

It was so loving good... It wasn't just the dried out feeling, almost dusty(?) texture of purchased puff sheets. It was crisp, crumbly, MOIST and so buttery. I actually probably will make it again, and curse a lot while doing so.

Used it to make a standard Wellington

The layers didn't puff up very well on the Wellington, and I think it's because I didn't cook it hot enough. It was a big filet, that was still super cold, so I dropped oven temp down so the pastry wouldn't burn by the time the beef was done. I am assuming that the pastry dried/set before the moisture in the butter actually got hot enough to turn into steam. Any puff veterans have any advice?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jinh posted:

Sorry I didn't wanna post too many pics like last time

For future reference, this is the most important pic of the bunch. :fap:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Which episode is this from? Did he finally go to one of his own restaurants?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SteelReserve posted:

I had scrambled eggs for dinner last night.

I used a huge scoop of butter flavored Crisco to lubricate things, then after adding the eggs, I added a packet of Splenda and a dash of monosodium glutamate (Accent), and when the eggs were nice and firm, I added a thin layer of Tabasco sauce.

I know it sounds weird, but I got a strange sort of high after eating it. And I think I want more.

I'm probably the worst kind of goon. I love unnecessarily decadent foods.

TastyVideo.txt

Really though, the Splenda is the only objectively bad choice in this.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kumba posted:

Angel hair w/ scallops, fried basil, and butter topped with parsley and capers

Ugh. I had scallops with lemon and capers last night too. The wife and I are on a diet though, so roasted broccoli instead of pasta. It was delicious, but there is something about pasta and scallops together... I was already missing the pasta, then you had to go and post this...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

Seared venison loin, charred cabbage, gochujang-sauerkraut puree. A Wisconsin riff on KBBQ I suppose.

Hot drat that looks good! Also reminds me that we're headed out hunting next weekend, and I still have a backstrap from last year to eat first...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the general questions thread.

I made Ruhlman's red wine garlic sausages, a runny French-style raw milk cheese, nutmeg sweet potato puree and red cabbage braised in apple cider vinegar and brown sugar with toasted caraway seeds.

It's as ridiculously decadent as it looks. sausage is tart, garlicky, porky, with the velvety, funky, salty cheese. God drat was that good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks folks. Yup, made the cheese, and yep, unpasteurized. There's a great regional dairy here in Texas called Mill King. If you go to their retail location on the farm, they'll sell you raw milk. It's about 90 minutes from me. I actually don't love drinking it, but damned if it doesn't make better cheese so I make the trip with a bigass cooler whenever I am making a batch.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

Felt like being a trash human and did chili dogs

To be clear, chili dogs are one of God's own foods and do not make you a trash human. It's the pre-shredded cheese and what looks like Hormel brand chili that make them trash. :colbert:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Good. :colbert:

For content, I made some merguez with Israeli-style hummus and harissa collard greens

Dessert was cream puffs with a sweet potato pastry cream filling.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Posting my hand-pulled noods. Homemade chili oil and noodle recipe was ATK's. I wanted some more umami and meatiness so I made some smoked garlic shitakes for the top. They were freaking great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Edit: ^^^ That is some drool-worthy crunchy skin there. Would demolish.

I got a new grill and put it together yesterday, so time to break it in/celebrate!

2.5" prime cowboy steak/ribeye

Wagyu Tri Tip.

Smoked the ribeye to 125, let cool for 10 minutes then blasted on the super hot grill. Trip tip was cooked low on the grill the whole time, basted with garlic and rosemary butter. Grilled some asparagus and tossed it with lemon juice, and grilled some mushrooms, basting with the same garlic rosemary butter as the tri tip.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 25, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ketchup belongs on fried potato products, that's totally fine. Also as a base ingredient for a quick BBQ sauce.

Literally anything else though, no. Does not belong.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I also had a celebration feast for the return of Game of Thrones.

Made some steak and Guinness sausages.

A full loin of venison, post-trimming. This thing was actually that dark. Looked like it had been soaked in red wine. I ended up salt/peppering it and smoking it at 180f with heavy oak smoke for about 2 hours until it hit 120 internal, then blasted it on a hotass grill for about 45 seconds per side. Served with a merlot, garlic and rosemary redyction./

All together! Sides were smashed fingerling potatoes with garlic and thyme butter, red cabbage braised with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and caraway seeds.

Annnnd lemon cakes! The top is lemon curd infused with lavender from our garden.

GoT tie-ins.. Vaguely...

Venison = House Baratheon
Wine = Dorne/House Martell
Lemon cakes = Stark
Sausages = House Greyjoy
Cabbage/potatoes = Like, The North, I guess...?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Made a loaf of rye and whole packer brisket worth of pastrami. Brisket came from a friend's family who raise charolais cattle. A little too lean, but still tasty.

Jerk chicken tacos with lime crema on homemade tortillas.

Ginger chicken meatballs in a Thai coconut broth with brown and wild rice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Fancy dinner for Game of Thrones, which was probably better than the episode itself.

Smoked standing rib roast with horseradish cream, homemade tasso ham and parmesan escalopped potatoes, grilled lemon asparagus.

Served with a nice beaujolais. The beef was as good as you would expect. The potatoes were surprisingly the star. Absolutely loving killer. Gonna make those again. Glad I smoked some tasso last week.

Dragon egg cakes! Coconut cake with kiwi lime mousse, peanut butter cake with peanut butter mousse and a strawberry jam layer, dark chocolate espresso cake with dark chocolate mousse and 90% dark chocolate ganache glaze.

First time trying to make a cake that looks like something else, and took me a whole drat day, but super happy with how they turned out.

For reference:

Mine

Kiwi mousse was a liiiitttlllleeee soft and the top layer of cake slid ad it got too round. Should have trimmed the top layer of PB cake down a bit.

Coconut kiwi lime cake was great. PBJ cake was good, but seriously you only need like 3 bites. It is overwhelming. Chocolate cake was KILLER. So dark, barely sweet, for serious chocolate addicts.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 22, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been doing a lot of cooking, not a lot of posting, so here's some highlights. Sorry for the image dump!

Had an absurd surplus of peaches, so my wife suggested I make some peach chutney.

Needed something to go with peach chutney, so.. Parathas! Mint chutney also made with mint from our garden.They were great. Peach chutney, even better than mango IMO.

Smoked some rainbow trout we caught on a family trip to Colorado. Hot smoked over maple served with a lemon, dill and caper creme fraiche. So, like... It was really good, but not sure it's the best showcase for really fresh, great trout. The smoke takes over. Will probably go back to simple fry next year.

Peposo with polenta (braised red wine and short ribs with an ABSURD amount of black pepper.). Wife's new favorite.

Finally opened up a 14 month old clothbound raw milk Cheschire that I made last year. Awesome. Tastes like a combination between a super sharp cheddar and parmigiano reggiano. Have something like 5lbs of it and will be giving away to friends.

By request of the wife to celebrate her finally getting her architect's license from the state. Dark chocolate tart(85%), dark chocolate crust with a salted bourbon pecan caramel sauce. Incredibly intense. I added zero sugar to the tart, so it was almost completely devoid of sweetness, just intense chocolate. The caramel was like 2 degrees shy of burning, so lost most of its sweetness, and what little it had was cancelled out by the salt. I sweetened the whipped cream more than I usually would to help compensate. Serious loving business. Heavenly, but really only need a few bites.

The curveball! Work approached me to do some kind of food presentation for this year's "Creatives showcase". It's the first time a food entry has been included instead of just artwork, short stories, etc... I wanted to do something more creative than just "I made a good pasta!" or something. So I present to you...

Tacos al Pastor sausage!

It's 70/30 lean/fat pork, with everything you would expect from an al pastor taco and then some. Achiote, guajillos, an ancho, a chipotle, piloncillo, garlic, onion, pureed fresh pineapple, grilled pineapple chunks, cilantro, cumin, Mexican oregano all turned into a sausage, served on a bun with more grilled pineapple, cilantro and a roasted poblano tomatillo salsa. A little sweet for me, but I am not the biggest al pastor fan in the world to begin with. Could definitely have left out the piloncillo and left the sweetening to the pineapple alone. People I trust raved about it though, and it's cool as hell.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

angerbeet posted:

That cheese looks amazing, as does the rest of your food.

If you hear loud rustling noises in your kitchen later, think nothing of it, for it is only the wind.

Thanks! I have two nocturnal cats, so rustling sounds downstairs at night don't even get noticed anymore.

Grand Fromage posted:

hello am i your friend

If you're in central Texas, sure!

Torquemada posted:

Even frying can be too much for trout, en papillote is my preference.

I meant more simple pan fry in butter with lemon and parsley, but drat, en papillote is an amazing idea. Gonna have to remember that. Thank you!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Awesome thanks. I have a few roast green bean variations I have tried but not one with miso yet. We are about to start getting a lot of long pole beans from the garden which will work great for this as well.

Just made these and can confirm, delicious and crazy easy. Thanks for the recipe!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Sex Hobbit posted:

Baby’s first thali! Palak paneer, masoor dal, mango and blackberries, raita, mint chutney, cumin rice and some somewhat underdone naan.

Hell yes. This looks fantastic. Presentation is perfection.

overdesigned posted:

We did chicken tagine last night. Good way to use some of the massive quantity of preserved lemon that's been hanging out in our fridge.

Also fried up the chicken skin and sprinkled it on top for crunch, I strongly recommend this.

Unf.... This is my jam. Looks fantastic. The crisped crumbled skin is a pro touch.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'd have gone for a nice overlapping houndstooth pattern, but still... Would...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just got back from a long work trip, so time to make some stuff.

Weird thing.... Pan-fried dumplings, folded like agnolotti, stuffed with thai pork filling (garlic, oyster sauce, dark soy, palm sugar). Served with crispy garlic spinach in what is basically a really strong Tom Kha broth with extra hot fermented chili oil. It's a total bastardization, but goddamn was it good.

Caprese with a tomato from the garden.

S'mores pie for the first time, but every recipe was lacking a key ingredient to s'mores. Campfire smoke! So, gave the graham crackers 5 minutes of heavy oak smoke. drat good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

novamute posted:

Hot drat what a great idea. Going to have to steal that one.

sterster posted:

Omg that looks amazing. How do I make this thing?

Thanks!

Pretty easy.

Crust:
1 stick melted unsalted butter
14ish whole graham crackers

Smoke the graham crackers with oak for like 5 minutes, food processor/crush them into crumbs. Stir together with the melted butter then press into a pie plate, compressing it with the bottom of a heavy glass. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set the butter, or it will crumb out when you poor the filling in.

12oz good milk chocolate
1.5cups heavy cream
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4tsp salt

Bring the cream up to just boiling, turn off heat and add chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute then whisk until smooth, add in eggs and salt, whisk smooth. pour through a sieve into the prepped pie crust and bake at 350 for about 30minutes. The center should still be wobbly, but not liquid.

Cool COMPLETELY before topping with a thick layer of marshmallow cream, gently torch to desired marshmallow doneness, including the side of the marshmallow layer after serving if the toasty marshmallow is your favorite part.. For a clean cut, run a knife under hot water and wipe dry before each slice. Keep in the fridge, but it's actually best served at room temp.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I got these guys, and they're freakin' great. No food spinning, and if you're going an open flame instead of on grill grates, the base is set up so that you can do quarter turns. Even if you're just putting them straight on the grill, they're pretty much as good as a skewer can be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZAVU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Rosemary dijon pork tenderloin with pesto cauliflower.

Feels like it needs a sauce on the bottom, but with the marinade being so flavorful, and the pork being so juicy, it certainly didn't taste like it needed a sauce.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Oh man... I can't decide to whether to recreate the fancy truffle/duxelle chickencheese, or chickenmug...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Lemongrass chicken!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Blackened Cod with Mustard Cider Slaw.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Please tell us more.

Recipe HERE. Full disclosure, it is my blog. I finally broke down and made one.

Edit: In my defense, there is literally ZERO fluffy personal backstory/anecdotes in a recipe. Just info needed to make a food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I made a chickencheese. Go to the chickencheese thread. Make a chickencheese. You've still got like 5 days!