Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Made this but the lazy way (not that it’s complicated to start). Bagged coleslaw stuff, didn’t feel like chopping parsley, but the dressing was delicious and so was the fish-good blackening mix that isn’t too over the top. A++ and thanks for sharing your blog-looking forward to trying some of your other recipes.

Oh awesome! Super glad you liked it, yours looks great!

Honestly, I use bagged mix at home the majority of the time since it is fast, easy, and doesn't leave me with 4lbs of leftover cabbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Chipotle Chicken with Black Beans and Brown Rice. was freaking awesome. Sauce is basically Chile Colorado, with chipotle. Gonna put that poo poo on everything.

The sauce is actually vegan, so for giggles I went ahead and made a fully vegan version with medium tofu and it was actually also great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the cook or die thread.

Málà Spicy Scotchuan Egg, served with Korean Chili Lime Aioli, Cured Numbing Quail Egg and Roasted Sesame Broccolini with Fried Shallots.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 26, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

Only time I thought I cooked something worthy of this thread.

Mole sauce braised lamb shanks, rice, sous vide glazed carrots.

Lotta great stuff on this page, but this hits me hard. Mole braised lamb... yeah gonna have to do that soon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been making some ridiculous stuff lately as a coping mechanism. There are no diets in a pandemic! I've been pretty good about using stuff we already have though.

Stale bread that was too dense because it was already late and I was exhausted so didn't give it long enough during the second rise because goddammit I just wanted to go to sleep? French toast!

Bananas Foster French Toast:

Busted into your last, emergency gumbo and didn't have enough left over for two full portions the next night, while simultaneously having 3 potatoes that are starting to go a little soft?

Gumbo Poutine (Oaxaca instead of curds):

Have a full quart of smoked beef fat?

Smoked Beef Fat Flour Tortillas, with Hoisin Garlic Sirloin Flap, Black Garlic Napa Slaw, Asian Chimichurri and Ginger-Pickled Fresnos:

The chimichurri was cilantro, green onion, garlic, fresno, Chinese black vinegar, lime juice, canola oil, salt, and a tiny touch of toasted sesame oil.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 20, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

rate my wrap technique vs my wife's

The second one is the wrap of an instagrammer. The first one is the wrap of someone who knows how to eat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Has meat and spices, so should go in the chili thread too.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

We find this dinner to be self evident.

Not all pizzas are created equal. That’s a freaking great one.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Nice looking fried rice.

I feel like mine has been coming out mushy lately. Maybe because I’m cooking the rice too long initially? Before putting in the fridge and using it the next day in the fried rice?

Hi there from your probably not local neighborhood upscale Chinese food restaurant prep chef!

Like you said, you may be cooking it too long, but I would also suggest taking it off the heat and leaving the lid on for about 10 minutes to allow the steam/moisture to even out more.

If you’re purposefully making the rice only for fried rice, drop your water by about 10% from normal. It’s actually totally okay if you have a spot at the top in the center that looks not fully hydrated after cooking.

You’ll also get a much better result if you dump the rice onto a lined tray and spread it out to dry. About an hour at room temp, then into the fridge lightly covered in plastic wrap. Once it is completely cold, it should break up really nicely and you can put it into a smaller container.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

McCracAttack posted:

It ain't much, but here's a Christmas dinner for one. The King's Hawaiian Roll is the only thing not from scratch. That's a stuffed portobello mushroom on the right.

Also, holy poo poo. I've only gotten serious about cooking the last year or so an it's a fair bit of work. I can totally see how "homemaker" would be a full time job. That one little plate took all afternoon.

Seriously, great work.

Properly overstuffed deviled eggs, asparagus has has some good color on it but doesn’t look overcooked and shriveled, mushroom gravy looks like spot on texture, and those potatoes look like my absolute favorite, super creamy but still lumpy.

I would absolutely clean that plate.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ShoogaSlim posted:

that burg and those fries look delicious, but can we talk about where lettuce and tomato "belong" in the burger totem pole?

They belong in a salad, on the side, of a different meal.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

2. Make sure the stock is at a fast rolling boil before adding the roux (so start heating it while you make the roux—don’t wait)
3. Don’t try to get too dark with the roux. Milk chocolate is plenty dark. Remember you can always turn the heat down to make the roux more manageable—the darker it gets, the quicker it darkens (and eventually burns)
5. Add the roux to the stock, not the other way around. You can do either way but this way is better.

Strong disagree on all of these points.

1 and 5. I much prefer adding a few additions of not hot stock to the veg/roux mixture and stirring at each interval before cranking the heat to bring it up.

3. Take it super slow the first few times, but milk chocolate roux makes for a super disappointing gumbo, for me.

Luckily it’s gumbo. We’re both right/wrong. Except the roux. If it doesn’t look like 80% dark chocolate, keep going. :colbert:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

I thought gumbo was like chilli, a stew with a vague idea of what it should be but no hard and direct rule.

Chili is a very specific idea of what it should be, and has numerous hard and direct rules.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mystes posted:

Have you tried boiling firm tofu in salted water for a minute before adding it? Maybe it's just the placebo effect but I think it improves the texture for stuff like mapo tofu while not becoming immediately shredded like silken tofu

There's also apparently firm silken tofu but it's hard to get in the US.

I use soft, not silken tofu, that I “blanch” in salted water first. Cut tofu into cubes, gently place into cold salted water, put on heat. As soon as the water comes to a bare simmer, you’re done. Turn off the heat, strain gently and then dump into the wok with sauce.

This is how we did it at the Chinese place I worked at and it gives the best texture IMO. I can only generally find soft tofu at Asian markets though. All the normal grocery stores just carry firm and silken.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The food was so good at my thanksgiving that every single person who attended ate so much they puked, 8 hours later.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Much like I have never had a homemade* bbq sauce better than Stubb’s original, I have never had a homemade cranberry sauce better than Ocean Spray Jellied.

* Any bbq sauce honestly. I spent years at home trying recipes, and then 18 months at a restaurant trying, and never succeeded. Stubb’s is the platonic ideal of BBQ sauce**

** Texas style. Obviously not taking into consideration completely different styles of sauce.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 30, 2022

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That look freaking great!

We do vegan mapo tofu at least once a month, and it’s pretty much the perfect use case for Impossible or Beyond.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The hip, modern Chinese place I worked at in Austin ran an absolutely killer mapo tofu, but ended up taking it off the menu because nobody ever ordered it.

It wasn’t vegetarian (obviously) and Texas meat eaters couldn’t wrap their heads around why THEY should order a tofu dish, since tofu is supposed to be just a lovely meat replacement for vegetarians.

I still make at home with the recipe I got there and it’s so, so good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Good to know! Thanks!

Pretty sure ihop meant frozen, not dried. They absolutely sell frozen that are great, and all dried herbs would massively change the dish.

Definitely give them a try. The good ones won’t have any spinach, which amps up the brightness and herbiness a ton. I love it with spinach in there too, and it is what I would do when I wanted gormeh sabzi but didn’t want to spend 2 hours prepping herbs, but the all herb version hits different. This will definitely increase cost though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ihop posted:

Nope, dried. I usually use this particular one. You rehydrate the herbs, then squeeze as much water out as you can, then fry them like the fresh ones. It doesn't make sense to me but it works. My Iranian inlaws always did it this way and I always swore fresh herbs would taste better until I proved myself wrong.

Edit: oh yeah I always throw in fresh spinach if I have it. I don't think it does much particularly for the flavor but adds SUPER FOOD.

Crazy! I’m going to have to try that. Thanks!