Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made a vegan Mapo Tofu.

Having never had an 'authentic' one before, it's difficult to know how well I did. The flavours were really nice and the Szechuan pepper did its job wonderfully. I suppose the only gripe was that my partner wasn't a fan of the texture of the mushrooms I used in place of the pork mince. I'd definitely make it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

That look freaking great!

We do vegan mapo tofu at least once a month, and it’s pretty much the perfect use case for Impossible or Beyond.

I tried using a meat substitute one time, but found the 'meat' would absorb the juices and begin to swell. It was still nice, but also had an odd texture.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made pizzas last night on the smoker. I tried out a wholemeal dough for the first time.

I was a little worried when the dough was stickier then usual, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I guess I'm making them this way from now on.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

adeadcrab posted:

Did you have to crank the smoker’s heat to the max?

I've found for the size of my smoker, around 470°F is about the sweet spot. I've tried a few times at the max temp (500°F) but was finding that the base of the crust was getting too crispy before the toppings had properly cooked. I've been tempted to get a pizza oven insert that attaches to the fire pot of the smoker based on how often I'm making pizza, but they're not widely available here

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I made vegan Cajun red beans and rice (but added sausages I smoked earlier in the day to my portion).

It was the first time trying it out so I have no idea what the authentic dish tastes like, but my partner and I were very happy with what I produced. I think next time I might try adding a splash of cider vinegar just before serving to try to make up for the lack of pickled meat.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

Sounds great, did you use a recipe?

I followed this recipe for the most part, though substituted the dry beans for three cans of red kidney beans. I also used half the required liquid because I wasn't going to be simmering as long.

I've just seen the Cajun/Creole thread, which has a few versions of this recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

As it happens, I also made a garden pie the other day using green lentils.

I might try using a smaller-sized lentil like brown or black to see how that changes the texture, and maybe incorporate TVP as well.