Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
What recipe did you use? I've been making peking duck multiple times a year for 5 years now and I still can't figure out the right technique for perfect skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

I winged it based on what I knew and my past experience working with duck. Came out pretty decently.

The trick for me was to actually do away with the traditional method and just peel off the entire duck skin Ramsay Bolton style. Season it, stretch it out on a wire rack, let it air-dry in the fridge for two days, then render the fat out low and slow in the oven, about 250 degrees F for an hour. The great majority of the fat should drain out. Once that's done brush on the glaze and roast again just to caramelize the sugars.

Cook the breasts and legs separately. I used sous vide.

Oh. :(

I'm trying to find a way to do it on the duck. There's a place local to me that does it that way and it's BEAUTIFUL. You have to do it on the duck to get the proper slices of crispy skin because the carving method is meant to take bits of meat with the skin.

I've done it deconstructed as well and it works alright, albeit a makes me feel like I'm betraying my heritage.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I was joking about the heritage thing. I agree with you in general about traditional techniques. I just know I can do it on the duck and I want the proper slices, and I just really don't want to do it deconstructed. :shrug: It actually drives me nuts whenever people tell me to cut apart a duck. No, gently caress you. :colbert: