Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I didnt have macaroni for mac and cheese so I made a smoked gouda alfredo with fettuccine and brisket.

http://i.imgur.com/EnjOIIo.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I drive a lot for work and agree with everything above.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dieting doesn't work, eat a god drat nut you racist.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 7, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like making cherry(or any fruit for any purpose) sauce in wine. Goes great with gamey meat and only takes about half an hour from start to finish.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You warmed the tortillas, that's the important part.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Crossposting from the smoking thread...

And yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder with oak and pecan. Had a real easy time maintaining temperature but the stall lasted a long, long time.

Edit: I also made beans, of course.

Happy Juneteenth

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It is basically pinto beans, yellow onion, garlic, habaneros and poblanos I grew and smoked, pasilla chilis (that's why it's so dark), paprika, cumin, epazote, lime juice, molasses, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper. I added some of the liquid from the pork dripping pan to give it a nice, meaty undertone.

I love chilis and rarely cook without them. I'll post my sopa Azteca the next time I make it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It was better than every restaurant sauce I've ever had except for a super expensive place around here. It was actually really easy. Maybe 10-15 minutes of active time and then I stirred it every 15 minutes for 2 1/2 hours.

The cobbler was good, but a little burnt. I'll get it right next time. Baking is way scarier than cooking.

I've had this same experience. I made some sauce recently with tomatoes and basil I grew and it was even better. Just amazing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You can tell us you're white in one post, you don't have to make a bunch of bad ones disparaging one of the best food combos ever.

My go-to chicken and waffle topping is honey and a pepper sauce of some kind (cholula, tobasco, etc.)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Berries go great with wild meat. Sweet and savory have gone together since we had tongues. That dude sucks.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Toast the spices and chilis before you put them in the marinade.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Corn bread is yellow. That counts right?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Smoke the lamb ribs you heathens.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Should've scooped the mashed potatoes with the sausage.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ghee has those brown spots removed so it is more pure, doesn't smoke at medium heat like butter. Browned butter is just that-butter that has been cooked until it's brown.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The ice will destroy the texture if the salsa is chunky but the taste will remain. Make tortas next time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You should color your veggies for stock.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Use iron or stone or fire.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Why are you using a pan at all? It's super easy on a gas stove but you can still char on an electric burner directly.

There are stoves where neither of those are options or you don't want to clean tortilla ash from the burners every week.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Brined corn beef with spicy mustard and a bit of mayo (I hate 1k Island dressing) on dark rye. Last of my homemade bread and butter pickles, and the first of the red cabbage and caraway kraut I laid down in January.

I am forever perplexed by brrad and butter pickles but I'm with you on thousand island dressing. Great looking sandwich though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

It's really simple to make too, it's all in the yogurt marinade which I did for 6+ hours. The cook time went a little longer than I thought, 15+ minutes, and I used tenderloins instead of full breast or thighs.

There's a tzatziki sauce from Costco that I'd recommend, I think it's Hannah's and its very good and fresh tasting.

If you're making a yogurt marinade for the chicken why not just make the tzatziki? It's really simple and much better than that poo poo in a tub.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Made everything from scratch, down to the bacon fat tortillas. Took a couple hours Saturday and several hours Sunday but drat worth it.

Can I ask what took so long? None of that seems too time consuming unless the tortillas gave you hell.

I have a bunch of herbs and tomato plants so I compulsively make pesto and sauce out of them. My lighting also sucks as much as my photography but the pizzas are drat good.

https://gfycat.com/AnotherBetterArcticseal

Edit: I'd like to point out the contrast between tortillas of the posts adjacent to this one. Warm your tortillas people.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 7, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I was curious, so I estimated. All the following are active times only:
code:
Tortillas: 
	15 min mix (ish... my wife did it)
	30 min roll & cook
Fruit salad:
	5 min stem & seed peppers, toast in oven
	5 min grind peppers into chile powder
	4 min stem & seed peppers, toast in oven
	3 min blend with vinegar for "Bufalo" salsa
	10 min cut watermelon and pineapple
	2 min juice orange
	10 min queso fresco
Steak:
	3 min toast and grind spices
	3 min juice orange and mix marinade
	10 min remove silver skin (I'm not practiced & fast at this)
	3 min remove excess marinade
	6 min grilling
	2 min carving
Quesadillas:
	2 min rinse beans
	6 min char poblanos, steam, peel and cut into strips
	3 min cook onions and spices
	3 min combine beans & veggies, mash half
	3 min grate 1 lb cheese in food processor
	5 min run outside to pick cilantro
	10 min assembly
	3 min babysitting under broiler (total time 10 min, I watched near the end)
Quesadilla salsa:
	4 min roast veggies
	2 min juice lime and blend with veggies
Guac:
	15 min
Coffee popsicles (not pictured)
	10 min
That's 3 hours I can easily account for, not counting a ton of dishes and the inefficiency of not being active 100% of the time.

e: ew what a bad snipe. Have an easier meal from last week:

green Thai curry

Oh by the way I should say that your food looks really good. I think I've made a similar thing so many times that I take for granted how much work actually goes into it. Also, you should try a Mexican coke, soy sauce, chilis of your choice, annatto, citrus juice and zest of your choice, garlic marinade. You could also just do chili, salt and lime juice. I swear by I this, feel free to add turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, whatever the hell you want and it will be amazing fajitas.

Edit: Do any of y'all have a kolache dough recipe you recommend?

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 12, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Crossposting from the smoking thread:

I have too many tomatoes and chilis to know what to do with so I made bbq tortilla soup. I rubbed the chicken in annatto, lime juice, garlic, salt and peanut oil. Basically conchinita pibil rub. I smoked that stuff, added it to several pasilla chilis and an ancho in the pot then poached it. When the chicken was right I took that out, blended it up and served. It was absurd.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Citrus really helps greens imo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Enjoy your tasty trichinosis.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

iRend posted:

No spice, so normal people can enjoy it

This makes no sense to me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SteelReserve posted:

To make it taste more like junk food instead of a vaguely healthy meal.

Honestly, who doesn't like meaty foods that are soaked in grease, salt, monosodium glutamate, and sugar (or fake sugar)? That's probably four of the eleven herbs and spices in KFC's secret recipe. And all of those ingredients are consistently in most junk foods.

All the other spices are just to add a special, additional flavor to your food. I personally add the Splenda so I can temporarily make myself not think about how I'm eating meat without carbs on the side, as is typical at many restaurants. I mean, do we REALLY need a bun when eating a hamburger, or fries on the side, or a flour coating of some sort on our meat?

I like to create the illusion of decadence without actually giving myself a heart attack. And yes, carbs do generate the bad kinds of fat in your body, but they are great if you are an athlete as they produce quick energy.

This is gross and wrong on a bunch of fronts. Yes, we do need the carbs on the side. That's why we've been eating them for hundreds of thousands of years.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I hit em in a dry pan on high but I have an electric stove so that’s as good as it’s gonna get unless I start running a lighter under them.

You're not letting the pan get hot enough.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

emotive posted:

I've tried letting a cast iron pan get ripping hot on my electric stove and never have much better result than his picture.

There's something going on because I have no trouble getting color on my tortillas on a weak/slow electric stove no matter what pan I'm using though it's usually a cast iron.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

To get back at you all for calling out my undertoasted tortillas enjoy looking at more carnitas

This and the post above are good poo poo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

give me advice for jambalaya. I bought too much hot sausage and now it's jambalaya time

I like it with brown rice and roasted corn and so spicy it gives me hiccups.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

One day I made Jambalaya for a friend's BBQ

Then later I made Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken (found on pintrest), Cilantro Lime Rice, and Cinnamon Sugar Nutella Donuts (also pintrest).

My uncle and mom went nuts the next day for the donuts, they cooked like 10 with the dough I made, morning to night. My aunt thought they went mad. Light and airy and the sugar crunch was great.

https://bakerbynature.com/nutella-cinnamon-sugar-doughnuts/

Looks amazing, I need to get a candy/grease thermometer.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Toasting and grinding is an American thing.

Toasting spices is not an American thing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

context isn't either i guess

My statement was in context with his you're just a dumb-rear end.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

gently caress off dipshit

I see you are too stupid to figure out that there are more than two countries in the world.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mostlygray posted:

I was at my local cafe tonight and I ordered "Danish meatballs" off the specials menu. It looked exactly like that except that it had green beans served with it.

I didn't know what Danish meatballs were but now they're a huge favorite. It was awesome! Family run cafe's always have good "grandma's recipe" food.

I assume they're very similar to Swedish meatballs, which are delicious, but please enlighten me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Corn tortillas, cabbage, crema with whatever chili and herb and blackened shark is the best fish taco.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks. I usually follow recipes verbatim, and that one called for 1/4 cup of "coarsely chopped" cilantro for 4 servings, so I'm pretty sure that's what the doctor ordered.

It looks like you dumped whole leaves on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

Shark (the right species) are loving DELICIOUS. I don't see it for sale in bay area fish mongers though. Is local shark not good eating? It's popular in Australia. Tasmanian Gummy shark beef battered and deep fried mmmmmmm.

It's mostly blacktip and silky in restaurants around here but people catch (poach) all kinds of sharks.