Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Ranter posted:

I moved into a new house with new people.

A Chinese guy, Taiwanese girl and a Canadian Korean dude. And then me the fat Aussie white dude. I am now a minority and loving it.

My contribution is the broth on the left; made a chicken and pork broth from scratch (chicken wings, pork neck bones, onion, celery, carrot, peppercorns).

Sounds like a great situation you've found yourself in. I can get down with any table setting that includes shot glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Please lay on me your mapo tofu recipes. I make pretty much exclusively American/French food at home and would love to start incorporating Chinese and Indian stuff. Similarly if anyone could recommend me an Indian recipe that is delicious and doesn't require a pressure cooker I would be very grateful.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I would kick a man's rear end in the street right now for the opportunity to eat that. Good lord.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

SigmusAmadeus posted:

Started off 4/20 the only way i know how. with Culinary Fuckery.
Corn, mayo, spicy shin ramyun powder, cool ranch doritos, furikake on a chopstick with a honey sriacha buffalo drenched chicken cutlet

History will absolve me.

I feel like if you introduced a South Korean to elotes they would freak the gently caress out. Kind of a weird accidental confluence of Mexican and Korean tastes (corn+mayo, namely).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Lamb loin, beans, potato dauphinois

So are you cooking for your ailing grandparents or are you allergic to sauces and seasonings?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So the only reason people are trying to make salmon meuniere is Breath of the Wild, right? Salmon seems like a really bad choice of fish to pan-fry. Sole and skate are the classic fish to use for a reason -- uniform thickness and texture, less-dense meat. Hell, use tilapia or catfish.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Next time you make tacos, try toasting your tortillas. Heat up a dry nonstick pan to medium heat and toast them one or two at a time til black spots just start to form. Much better texture and flavor.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Loco posted:

Now You're Cooking With Gas Eating Teflon!

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting my pan hot enough for this to be a danger. Do you know at what point it becomes hazardous? I'll admit I don't know the facts myself.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

TOAST YOUR TORTILLAS

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

BrianBoitano posted:

Somebody teach me to garnish with cilantro. It looked so much better before adding it :saddowns:

Chop it more finely.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I have definitely shattered a mason jar full of hot bacon fat by putting it straight back into the fridge though, so leave it sitting out so the hot fat cools down a bit before you put it back.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Butternut squash risotto, chicken thigh, pomegranate, feta, fried sage. Not photographed super well but I just spent all day making the chicken stock that went into this and it’s probably one of the most delicious things I’ve ever made.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Followed Brian Boitano’s lead and made meatball subs with arugula pesto. No joke, this was top 5 best sandwiches I’ve ever had, and easily the best sandwich I’ve ever made.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 21, 2018

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Roasted chicken, honey balsamic glazed carrots, saffron risotto, roasted garlic. Pretty good!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I’ve been really influenced lately by the way they cook at the restaurant I work at. Lots of local, seasonal vegetables, and an ethos of using every part of the buffalo, so to speak. So I made spaghetti with rainbow carrots and easter egg radishes, crispy king trumpet mushrooms, and a pesto of carrot tops, radish greens and walnuts.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 26, 2019

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I didn't think I liked them for most of my life either! Turns out the small, sweet ones that are in season right now (if you're in the northern hemisphere) are a whole other thing. Saute with garlic and lots of butter, deglaze with white wine.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

DiomedesGodshill posted:

My take on a summer salad. Compressed watermelon, raw golden beats, strawberries, figs, toasted hazel nuts, feta cheese, and baby greens with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Where do you live that you're getting figs this time of year?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Whalley posted:

They're so loving easy.

3 tablespoons white miso paste
3 cloves garlic, either minced or grated if you can find your microplane which I couldn't
2.5 tablespoons lime juice (which was what I got outta 1.5 limes, but next time I'm gunna drop down to 2 tablespoons)
A bit over 1 tablespoon honey

Whisk that together in a bowl, leave sit.

Blister a pound of green beans in a bit of neutral oil for 10 minutes, then once done, turn off the heat and pour the miso sauce straight into the pan, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then cut up about a third of a cup of cilantro or however much you wind up grabbing when you go to tear "some" cilantro out of the bunch, and toss that through.

They're far too delicious for the amount of effort it takes.

I made a double batch of this for a dinner party tonight and I cannot thank you enough. I used Thai basil instead of cilantro since I had that on hand. So delicious.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Mexican chorizo, white rice, red beans, salsa verde.

First time cooking dry beans! Simmered them with the white parts of the scallions, half an onion, a quartered carrot, and a bunch of thyme and oregano. Came out hella flavorful.

For the salsa I charred six tomatillos, half an onion, a serrano pepper and six cloves of garlic, then threw it all in the blender with salt, a little oil and the juice of half a lime. Perfect the first time, which honestly shocked me. Didn’t even need a pinch of salt. I feel like I’m getting better at this.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Wow, no one's said it yet?

Toast your tortillas, dude.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
What's that on top of... roughly half of those eggs there?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Escargot is not seafood.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Great work on that strawberry rose.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The breakfast burrito is one of my favorite foods and never in my life have I considered smothering one in sausage gravy. You're a brilliant man. What's inside the 'rito?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yesterday I walked to the little farm by my house for their first weekly farmstand of the season and got a big bag of swiss chard, garlic scapes, radishes, carrots and arugula. Last night I made pan-roasted chicken breasts over polenta with creamed swiss chard and garlic scape and carrot top pesto, which I do not have photos of. But tonight I made a stir-fry with some chashu-style pork loin I had sitting around, plus the carrots, radishes and arugula, along with some of an old red onion, ginger, and some garlic that was honestly sprouting pretty aggressively. Wouldn’t have thought to include arugula in a stir-fry, it was my fiance’s idea and it came out pretty excellent.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Hey, if you're interested in improving your food photography, try plating in something other than a dog food bowl.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Huh, didn't know those were an Indian thing! Good on you for still cooking, and feeling proud enough of what you make to share it. Sorry I was a butthole.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Any particular recipe/method for your "burnt ends"? I buy pork chuck roast often enough as it is, its cost-to-deliciousness is just the best.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You mean like, setting up a charcoal grill in your kitchen? Don't do that.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Ooh, ribeye cap. I know it as spinalis. It is one of the greatest beefmeats.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yesterday I decided to make chickencheese for dinner tonight in remembrance of the forums. After tonight’s news it is now a chickencheese of celebration.

I made two of these and my wife and I split one. Pickle-brined chicken tenders, peps, onions, mozzarella, and my homemade Chick-Fil-A sauce.

Rock over Something Awful, rock on chickencheese.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds like you need to get rid of that crockpot.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah no poo poo it made you nauseous, there's like a cup of grease in that pan!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

excellent bird guy posted:

I read somewhere ITT, boiling chicken thighs in Cream of Mushroom soup. Good god if coconut oil is grease then that dish there would be 'the ultimate grease experience.'

My point is that you seem to be putting too much cooking fat in your pan and it's making you nauseous. Fat is fat no matter whether it comes from coconuts or bacon. There shouldn't be an oily translucent slick on top of your food.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

My teeth are so good because the fat is protective.

lmao

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

I don't have interest in recipes generally. I want to be creative and unique. There are I think general concepts to follow. I heard from a Sikh cook to never use dry spices. So, thus all my spices go in a little oil to release the flavor. I heard of the holy trinity, which is Onions, Carrots, Celery, thus I used the holy trinity for about a year and is my major fallback. So I pick 3 spices, and 3 vegetables with an oil. This is I think a foundation to master before moving on. But, tonight I will try to instead of a stove top to use an oven. I may have been getting sick a few times by over doing the oil and using more than 3 spices.
Also the grocery stores don't stay open 24hours here so they are always closed by the time I'm awake. Unless I go at 6am I just don't get around to it.

So you want to know how to cook but you don't want to learn. Incredible.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Waterbed Wendy posted:

burrito shell

what the gently caress

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Olpainless posted:

chorizo and pork sausage

sir do you know what chorizo is

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

toplitzin posted:

Jerk fried rice

You're telling me a jerk fried this rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Halloween Liker posted:

The online charade that no one eats like a normal person is so tiring to read.

It is bizarre to me to see people talking about making sodium citrate mac and cheese, an easy and uncomplicated thing to do, and go "no! you're lying on the internet for attention!".