Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chopped steak with caramelized shallots, mushrooms and bacon bits, on top of hash browns, dressed au jus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
things i have done recently in the past week.

Katsudon. didn't get the egg/glaze out of the pan fast enough, therefore less-runny than I would have liked. Still good.

Chicken parm. Was experimenting with breading and frying things. See also previous. Forgot to check if I had long pasta, turned it into a sandwich.

Vietnamese "Cơm tấm" rearranged into a bento, using leftover kebab meat, spiced up in a pan with Lao Gan Ma.

Dairy-free chocolate pudding. I am very angry at how well these turned out. Repacked into individual servings in recycled jars. Please excuse the jar of schmaltz in the background.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 17, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mapo tofu

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mapo tofu x2.

While I prefer the use of silken tofu over firm, I think this was a little too delicate. By the time I got the leftovers into tupperware, the tofu had shredded to the point of becoming streaky like egg drop soup. Still good when I had it for dinner last night, just lacking in texture. I have now dialled in the correct firmness I will use from here on out.

edit: I am disappointed nobody asked about the chocolate pudding.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 22, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What do you want us to ask about the chocolate pudding?

Serendipitaet posted:

Also please tell me about that chocolate pudding

I'm glad you asked! See, there's a bit of a throughline when I cook, usually, there are overlapping ingredients. In my head, here is where I figured I'd act coy and make people guess what the shared ingredient for the pudding was.

Also, in my head, I figured I'd let trickle out the story how, after I got my boosters and had my first Jamba Juice since COVID began, I then proceeded to hug my guts after returning home and wonder if I had rolled a 1 on my vaccine effectiveness and begged for the sweet release of death. Gonna skip to the end and say that no, COVID didn't have anything to do with it, it just turns out I've become lactose intolerant, just like genetics predicted. (I have a separate rant on genetics related to keto, which I no longer do) So the past few months have been an adventure in figuring out what was wrong with me, and now, more recently, finding alternatives. And ordering a ton of Lactaid from Costco.

To make a long story short: That pudding is only three ingredients, dark chocolate, honey, and TOFU, and it has turned out so much better, faster, and easier than anything I've ever made with dairy, I was positively steamed at how well they came out. My regional supermarket chain sells cartons of Mori-Nu tofu in varying firmnesses, and I had bought several cartons to try and figure out which one I wanted to use for the pudding, and which I wanted to use for the mapo. (Purple box for the pudding, blue box for the mapo) All I need to do is chop a 3.5oz - 4.0oz dark chocolate bar into my stick blender's cup, microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted, turn in one carton of that lite firm silken tofu, and two tablespoons of honey, and blitz until uniform.

No double boiling, no sweating over a stove, no trickling in heavy cream a little bit at a time, no having to clean poo poo up in scalding hot water to make sure I get chocolate out of every last crook and cranny, just bingo, bango, eyeball measure the honey, one mixing cup and the tip of my stick blender, scrape into a ziplock bag and snip the tip for piping into individual serving jars.

I am still mad at how lazy it lets me be while simultaneously being better than my average scratch-made dairy-based chocolate pudding. And while that might come across as "Well, S-A-D clearly makes some shite chocolate pudding then, don't they?" the thing that got me down this road was seeing the same thing on Sorted. (though their recipe goes for a splash of Kahlua for their liquid sweetener.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkC1seXEGSM&t=170s

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 23, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I assumed it was tofu when you said it was dairy free. You should join us in the the vegan thread where using tofu for pudding is a trick that's at least 25-30 years old! You can make all sorts of great desserts with tofu, like chocolate cream pie.

I mean, it could have been the coconut milk thing whose jars I re-used! But baking?

I can cook, I can make my own noodles from scratch, I can bake stuff out of a box, but baking from scratch is black magic to me. And I tried, several times during COVID lockdown, never could get an edible product.

But drat, do I miss getting chocolate cream pie from Nation's. <.<;

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 23, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Framboise posted:

I forgot to take a picture but like...

So I've never been a huge fan of tomatoes on their own. Cooked, cool; in salads, fine, in sauces, awesome.

However this is because I've never had a homegrown tomato. Me and my girlfriend picked up a bunch from my grandma's garden a few days ago and my girlfriend suggested trying a tomato sandwich with her, and like... this is the best thing ever? I've eaten four of them over the past 2 days and it's all I want now.

It's seriously nothing special, and makes the "low effort" meal a couple posts above look painstakingly gourmet, but hot drat, my life revolves around these things and I will be sad when the tomatoes are gone.

Yet another goon has discovered the joy, the agony, the ecstasy, the passion of the humble tomato sandwich.

One of the greatest pleasures in life is the tomato sandwich. Cheapest loving white bread you can find, a wad of mayonnaise, and none of that fancy poo poo, we're talking Hellemans/Best Food, thick slices of tomato, salt, and black pepper.

It's all in the tomato. There is nowhere for a crap tomato to hide. It's not like caprese, where you've got mozzerella butting in, it's not like coban salatasi where you've got lemon and parseley and olives, nope, just tomato. It's not like tomates provencal, where you get meat involved. Just tomato, front and center, with a small supporting cast.

I sometimes think we could end wars with them.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 2, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Random Hero posted:

I agree with everything you said about a tomato sandwich, but I have to at least upgrade to something like Duke's. I'm not sure if that falls into "fancy poo poo", but it's a huge upgrade on Hellemans without spending too much more.

Missed this. I actually think the cheaper a mayonnaise is, the better for the purposes of tomato sandwiches. If I'm going maximum effort, I'm using the good eggs, good mustard, and good oil that flavorwise, sort of horns in and goes, "hey, don't you recognize that I'm better than usual?" I think half the beauty of a tomato sandwich is how lazily it can be slapped together.

Duke's is not a brand we commonly on the west coast, so I will allow for "store bought".

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Testing out my german-made spaetzel maker making spaghettieis, with a little bit of lingonberry jam (I was out of strawberry) as the "bolognese". I think I may have mortally offended the german people by implying that somehow, there was a chance that it wouldn't hold up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ogarza posted:

Keeping it real tonight... hotdogs and black garlic fríes

man, I been loading up on carbs all week, and had a fancy hotdog for lunch earlier, but would still demolish all of that in a heartbeat.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

my gf is in vegas for a conference. this was her meal at the end of the conference "pool side gala"

edit: this was at the mirage

...man, poo poo's really dire when you look at a plate and wonder if you can borrow a stove in a kitchen real quick.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Made oyakodon again. No photos, phone ded.

Starting to see the option sliders for this dish. The bigger your cooking vessel, the more dashi you need, the more dash you need means you either need to reserve some of the liquid back, or add an extra egg, otherwise you get a lot of soup and not a lot of brothy egg.

Or just reduce the dashi more, but that makes the scallions disintegrate, so I need to change that out to onions or leeks, but since I'm using Hondashi powder, I may as well use a smaller cooking vessel and start with half the water with the same amount of powder.

Like I said, sliders.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mongolian beef. Without bell peppers, the way I like it. Flank steak was $7.99 a pound, it was a foregone conclusion.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 20, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bell peppers are fine, I just don't like them in Mongolian Beef. Indeed, it would be blasphemy if I made gumbo without bell peppers! The best Mongolian Beef I ever had was just straight white and spring onions, and now that's how I like it.

DC Murderverse posted:

That looks really good, what’s your recipe? I love bell peppers but I need recipes that still work without them because I cook for people who don’t

Made With Lau recipe, and then I just subbed out the bell peppers for more onions, used Lao Gan Ma (the crispy kind) instead of chili sauce.

edit: Also some leftover half-shallots remaining from other cooking earlier in the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9E6HPZurmE
https://www.madewithlau.com/recipes/mongolian-beef

edit: Cheesesteak sandwiches with the other half of the flank steak:

I uh. Demolished the first one before I remembered to take the photo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 23, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Chili! With a dollop of sour cream and some queso fresco.

Changed a few things from the usual recipe. Chili powder was a bit muted, and I used black beans instead of the usual kidney, so it looks quite dark. No masa this time around, just to see if I like it better this way, but I think I'm going to go back and throw some in as soon as I'm done with this bowl.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dinner last night: Stroganoff.

Dinner tonight: Chicken Tikka, in honor of the late Ali Ahmed Aslam.

Note to self: More, bigger pieces of chicken. Chop onions smaller. Stick blender the onion-tomato-curry paste mix before reintroducing the chicken.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 27, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Butter chicken. No coriander. =(

notes:

* surprisingly delicious for my first time. Used Joshua Weissman's "faster than takeout" recipe.
* may or may not be faster than takeout. My usual indian place is two municipalities over, which means I never order there unless I'm detouring home from work.
* need to reel in the garlic. I got lazy and grated it on the microplane instead of mincing, that probably didn't help. It will probably mellow a bit when reheated tomorrow, we'll see.
* Need to amp up the chili. I like my butter chicken to have a *little* bit of a kick.
* actually use ghee next time around. Did a ghetto clarified butter by throwing into a bowl in the microwave for a minute or two and scooping off some of the more visible milk solids.
* stick blender just splattered everything everywhere because the fluid level after adding tomatoes wasn't high enough, had to tilt my dutch oven to get enough depth for blending.
* maybe chuck in another tablespoon or two of butter in the morning
* experiments with sour cream subsitutions for heavy cream because of lactose intolerance continue to be a success. If you too, are lactose intolerant, cultured sour cream has less, not zero, lactose than heavy cream. Just make sure that you're getting sour cream and not "milk with thickeners". Daisy (not an endorsement) is an example of the former, and not the latter.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 3, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

midweek stroganoff.
And this is why sour cream last time with the butter chicken, so I could use the remainder here.
Cousin has this thing that bills itself as "granulated mushroom bouillon" that really kicked this thing into high gear, made it taste like I'd been simmering it and slaving over the mushrooms/onions for hours.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

claypot rice with chicken, lap cheong, and shitake.

notes:
Crisping technique could use work.
Was more concerned with not burning it. Will push it a little harder next time.
Oven cooked, stovetop finished. Will try stovetop only next time.
Well-seasoned, though, which was another concern.
Kam Yen Jan lap cheong turned out better than expected, I find it to be bland, and usually use a locally-made brand.
Kam Yen Jan is my "well, it's shelf-stable, so it will go in the pantry and be our backup for when I don't have the better stuff". I was just cleaning out the freezer and found a pair of links that I decided to finish off, hence making this dish.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 21, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Katsu curry. God, I missed being able to cook in my own kitchen whenever I want.

I rarely, if ever, consider anything I make in the kitchen to be absolutely unsalvagable or a failure, but this might be one. Not enough thickening power in the roux (yes I used blocks because I was lazy, NOT making that mistake again) and the drat thing is so bland in terms of spices while also being overly sweet and salty despite heavily curtailing the sugar and not adding in any salt that it really can't be reduced any further despite it still being watery AF.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anne Whateley posted:

For some things it doesn’t matter, like if you’re pouring a cup into a tater tot casserole or meatballs, or using it for a salty note in breading, by all means use the green can.

gently caress the green can. It doesn't even act like cheese. And if they could give you less "parmesan-like cheese product" and more cellulose, they would.

My local discount grocery got a truckload of parm shavings packaged in delitainers that were absurdly cheap, I bought one, was enlightened, and went back and bought a bunch more.

Circumstances willing, once this green can I do have is gone, I am never buying another green can again.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I am a goddamn fool that has overpaid for chicken wings my entire life.

Not quite 15 minute wings. That's a bit ambitious. Maybe closer to 21 or 24 minute wings.

Original recipe: wings go into a bowl. Cover with water. Microwave for five minutes. Broil skin-side down for five, flip, broil other side for five. I wound up broiling for closer to 7-9 minutes a side. I also decided that discarding the water was dumb and stupid so I strained it through a fine mesh sieve and threw it into a mason jar to deglaze a pan with in the near future.

Sauce was chinese fermented bean curd, soy sauce, black vinegar, chili crisp, sesame oil, and juuuuuuust a tiny bit of sugar to take the edge off the salt.

Either way, faster than getting cold and soggy wings from the corner pizzaria, and the pack of 16 flats from my chinese market was just $7.88

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 29, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

JoshGuitar posted:

I usually do 1 hour-ish wings. Oven at 450, wings on rack on tray, flip about every 15-20 minutes. After about an hour they're nice and crispy and the meat falls off the bone. I actually prefer that texture to the fried ones, and they're super low effort without much mess either.

If you plan ahead, they're even better if you do the Serious Eats thing, and toss them in a mixture of salt and baking powder (1 tsp each per pound of wings), arrange them on the rack/tray, and let them air dry in the fridge for 8 hours or more before cooking. You get a super crispy skin this way.

Well, the goal was to get me to cut down on spontaneous being too lazy to do involved dinners and stopping by Wingstop for takeout on the way home. In that regard, this is a smashing success, though I will need to futz with tray placement/rotation for better crisping.

Diet Crack posted:

$7.88 for wings? Jesus

It's like £2 here and we're in the midst of inflationpalooza -even with conversion that's like $4.50

Well, it beats $50 for 20 from Wingstop, so I'll take my win(g)s how I can get them.

edit: and that's before the $15 tray from the discount chain supermarket!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 29, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Raikiri posted:

Aren't they about $15 for 20?

Super basic ones here go for $1.15/lb (£1.99/kilo).

Also just frying off chicken skin at a low temp then salting, chuck into an oven for 10 mins and you have chickarrones. So bad for you but very tasty.

god forbid you order sides or drinks, or get flats only. I used to order the 15 piece combo for 2, change fries to veg, and add an extra 5 wings to give me 10 of each flavor. Plus tax, yeah, I'm looking at close to $50. You can see why I might consider $8 plus less than half an hour in the ktichen to be a steal, comparatively.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 30, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Human Tornada posted:

"Truck stop" chili-cheese enchiladas for lunch my brothers

Could have been sloppier but I have to drive to the airport in a couple hours and didn't want to overdo it

"didn't want to overdo it", Goon's about to gas an entire airplane with their lunch, and they "didn't want to overdo it". =P

Looks delicious, would annihilate.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

just got done baking my contribution to thanksgiving dinner. Cranberry curd tarts, I will need to brave the store one last time for some whipping cream to top, after they are set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I saw a picture of something like this shared by New York Times and very badly wanted to try one. It looks loving delicious. Let us know how they turned out, flavor-wise!

Deliciously. I think it needed the little extra bit of sweetness provided by whipped cream afterwards, but at its base, it was good to go for CROTCHETY OLDER ASIAN RELATIVES who bitch about anything being too sweet, too rich, too caramelized, etc, etc.

Here is the recipe I used, it makes one, but I doubled the recipe to make two. https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/13333-cranberry-curd-tart-with-almond-crust

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 27, 2023