Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

I do understand the criticism of my post.
I also acknowledge that they are well done photos of good food.
I've expressly said I'm not criticizing that particular post; but rather that it is a good representation of the "I am a good chef because of this crisp photo of mac and cheese" photo style that has become so common.
A good camera and lighting can make up for what poor ingredients and a poor cook cannot, and I'm tired of seeing it and I'm sorry my words did not convey that.

I get what you mean. It makes me think a lot of an article like this http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/food-styling-tips-for-home-cooks.html where its very easy for the picture to start getting really silly with all the add ons to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

What on earth

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Here’s the bitch: it was nice and crispy when I pulled it out of the oven, but when I was carving it the juices and melted fat just got all over everything and by the time it hit the plates the skin was soft again :suicide:

This year I smoked the bird in parts, which allowed me to remove the skin from everything and roast it separately. I just laid it flat on a parchment sheet, put another parchment sheep on top and weighed it down with another pan, and then roasted it at 350 for about half an hour. Got the idea for it from the timestamp in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mr5vEZfEA&t=217s

Doing it this way makes the skin come out like glass, and it stays crisp practically forever as long as there's no moisture.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The turkey is such a stupid thing, its probably one of the most impractical things to roast whole. You have multiple meats that all cook at different rates to different temps, non-uniform mass with a big cavity so that the heat penetrates different parts at different rates, a large mass so it takes more time for the heat to penetrate. Skin is even worse - its next to impossible to get skin to stay crisp even on a small bird like a quail, just because the meat underneath is going to steam. Resting, carving, serving are all going to ruin the crisp texture. Though it'll still taste great and I still like even a chewy skin - (yakitori plays on the concept well), it's ultimately not what a lot of people are shooting for.

Spatchcock gets close and turchetta probably gets the closest, but I've yet to see a method that matches cooking in parts.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

All valid, but in my family as long as the meat is nice and juicy, all other issues don’t matter.

Years and years of my mom not cooking turkey at all, and my mother in law overcooking turkey to hell has made my turkeys the best things ever since I started taking over the bird.

Totally fair, its just one of those things that sticks in my head. Not like cooking a turkey whole to a juicy doneness and a well seasoned flavor is particularly difficult, but it always felt like people are trying to cook with training weights on.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

nesamdoom posted:

How bad of an idea is it to generously pour ghost pepper sauce onto a cheese quesodilla? I plan to sleep and am both worried about being miserable for awhile til bed and possibly having heartburn not letting me sleep?

its definitely an idea

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

nesamdoom posted:

I'm close to bed, tried some the sauce, and decided that i really don't wanna cry myself to sleep. I'm gonna do this thursday and let my brother smoke weed and laugh at me on skype.
I'll get some pix of the food then and let everyone know how much I regret it.

you are sincerely a smarter and more responsible man than i.

i probably would've tried to drink my way through the heartburn. dont do that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Feast of Seven Fishes

Smoked salmon blini with crème fraîche and caviar

this smoked salmon's got some legs!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I think the only Chef John recipe I've tried that I didn't care for was the sausage cheese balls one. Somehow dry and insanely fatty at the same time. I'm sure there's other stuff that I haven't tried that I also wouldn't care for (the meatloaf skull he did for halloween one year comes to mind) but he has an insanely high hit rate.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

of crispy skin, a while back I took some chicken thigh skin, lightly coated it with salt and baking powder, stretched it out like the "bat wing" on "Waiting...", let it dry on a rack on a try for a few hours in the fridge, then baked it until crispy. It was like the chicken version of pork rinds...highly recommended.

yeah it owns. i've done this with turkey skin and salmon skin before as well. i'll usually take two baking sheets, line one with parchment paper, put the skin on there, put more parchment paper on top, and then finish with the second sheet to try and keep the thing flat and uniform. its great

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

me and my buddies out in our dune buggies on that shepherd's pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

made some high hydration foccacia and lobster/crab bisque for new years