Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Galette Complète made for brunch yesterday, which was absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious and also such an enormous pain in in the rear end to make that I'll never do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

I never knew that name for it before! I'd only heard it called a crêpe miroir -- I wonder if that's a Québécois vs. Parisian thing or what. There do seem like a lot more results for galette complète. What about it was a pain in the rear end?

Just making the crepes, really. I didn't have much experience with them before and there's definitely a learning curve, so it took 6-8 before they started coming out well. The crepes even by themselves were delicious, but the entire process really tried my patience.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheCog posted:

For me the problem is always spreading the batter into a nice circle before it begins to solidify, I wind up with weird edges, which is fine, but slightly annoying

Bingo. It took 6-8 attempts before I got the hang of spreading the batter around the pan after pouring it in so they didn't look like dogshit. They still tasted fine from Crepe Prime.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Homemade crunchwrap. Used ground turkey instead of beef with a homebrew taco seasoning, cheddar, shredded iceberg, tomatoes, onion, sour cream, tostada in the center of course, and added some quick pickled jalapenos. Topped with guacamole and cilantro when I ate it (not pictured).

It was unbelievable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheAardvark posted:

I think that's a California only thing still :(. My complex is like 2 years old and it's all ventless.

Yeah, my house is just over a year old and our "hood" vents directly onto the cabinets above the range.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kumba posted:

Been getting a lot of basil and eggplant from the CSA recently

Fried eggplant, ricotta, pesto, mozzarella, repeat, parmesan on top

Served with spaghetti and more pesto

Yes!! This is what I've been looking for my whole life.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

Had some of my bacon tomato jam on a chive omelette.

:eyepop:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Sometimes Food posted:

I made scones.

I put jam and cream on the still whole one after the shot, I just wanted a picture of how tall I got them. They were so soft and buttery.

Is that whipped cream or clotted cream? The latter being one of the few things I've made and after eating it was like "This is far too delicious and unhealthy for me to ever consider making again" and thus have not.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

Baked tofu last night for dinner. It's got sesame oil, fresh garlic, soy sauce, and pepper, and cornstarch. Super good!

Looks great and one of my absolutely favorite ways to prepare tofu.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Skillet pot pie with cream biscuits. Only had dried thyme, but it came out really well and was super easy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stuffed shells, hot Italian sausage, and garlic bread. Came together reasonably quickly (we cheated and used Rao's sauce), and was unbelievably satisfying.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkey chili mac made with most of the enormous amount of leftover turkey I had. Thanks Chef John! It is super delicious, filling, and was extremely easy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ogarza posted:

I made the typical Mexican tres leches cake... but added a pinch of salt, cut back a bit on the condensed milk, added espresso to the milks, spread some chantilly on top and shaved dark Mexican chocolate w/cinnamon on top
https://i.imgur.com/WnjCNjR.mp4
ASMR action

god drat is this good.... it was dinner along with a cup of coffee

WOW. That looks unbelievable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chicken parm with side salad and homemade garlic-herb dinner rolls. I need to make more of all of this.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

atothesquiz posted:

Gimme dat roll recipe!

Here's the recipe. I added a couple tablespoons of a garlic and herb mix I got from Costco a while back, which really helped as it has some salt in it and the recipe definitely needs more salt than the 1 tsp it calls for. I also did an egg wash prior to baking for that glorious shine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Had a major hankerin for a club sandwich for ages now

10 HELL
20 YES
30 GOTO 10

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Madzoon ov kofte - Armenian yogurt soup, with Aleppo pepper-spiced butter dotting the top.

Never made a yogurt-based soup before; it was excellent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Olpainless posted:

I'm intrigued - what's the flavour profile like?

It's mild, rich, slightly sweet from the mint in the broth, a little earthy, a tiny bit spicy, and just very satisfying. I'd definitely make it again.

mystes posted:

Can you post a recipe for the Madzoon ov kofte?

Here is a similar recipe to the one I used, which isn't in an easy-to-share format.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cheesy herbed breadcrumb-crusted and herb-stuffed boneless leg of lamb, which I had with some roasted new potatoes. A little more done than I was shooting for, but it was very good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mordja posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for a boneless leg o' lamb?

Made this about two weeks ago and it was awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rice bowl with kimchi, thinly sliced pork, cucumber, egg, green onion, homemade pickled ginger, and furikake. So good I had it for dinner two nights in a row.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Make a dill pesto.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Comfort/low effort dinner for one tonight.

Would crush that comfort food dinner. Looks great, especially the green beans. Are they from a can? Canned green beans hold a special place in my heart.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

...Double down on more veggies?

Eggplant Rollatini!

Oh, YEAH!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The best part about a banh mi is when the mayo and the pate melt together from the heat of the meat and drip all over into a glorious mess while you're eating it. I don't like messy food but for some reason banh mi gets a pass on that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cold wintry weather calls for beef stew.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kabob'd it up this weekend myself, with a soy/worcestershire/brown sugar/lemon/garlic/oil marinade on the meat and some Italian dressing (olive garden, lol) on the veggies.

Served over rice cooked with Sazon Goya, which wasn't nearly as flavorful as I expected but did lend a beautiful red-orange color.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ogarza posted:

Tiraditos... salmon, branzino, and sea bass.

Holy cow, I've never had anything like that and it looks incredible.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So comforting, this pic reached through my screen and gave me a hug. Nice work.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stuffed peppers, though I took this before cooking and forgot to take one after they were done.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

There's absolutely nothing wrong with canned cranberry sauce. It's sweet, it's tart, it's gelatinous. I think there's a place for both it and the homemade stuff, to which you can add things like orange and cardamom (like we did this year) or rosemary or pomegranate or whatever your heart desires. All cranberry sauce is good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grandma pies this weekend, one with pepperoni and habanero cheddar and the other with mozzarella and basil. Diced tomato/olive oil/garlic topping.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sterster posted:

Looks good.
Is this with ground beef? Were you happy with it and would you mind sharing the recipe? Do you think it'd work with Soy Boy Meatless Crumble Substitute? Wife and I have been forcing our selves to do meatless meals at least once a week. We are struggling with ideas as most of what we cook was centered around a protein and we just haven't flexed that muscle. Doesn't help we have 2 slightly picky kids who struggle with 'different' veggies.

We frequently do grain bowls, usually with farro, sometimes quinoa, occasionally rice. We like tomatoes, cucumber, feta, avocado, olives, sometimes a random protein but not always (you could do eggs, or tofu), blanches broccoli, green onion, nuts, seeds etc. Really any combination of veggies, cheese if you'd like, some sort of dressing (tahini drizzle, Japanese bbq sauce, garlic yogurt sauce). They're great because you can customize them to each person's palate and not add stuff your kids won't eat, or add things they like that you don't necessarily want (uh, chicken nuggets...guilty as charged).

Because they're typically dressed, it's also a way to get your kids to eat some veggies they wouldn't otherwise eat in a naked form.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nhilist posted:

Tomahawk, got to use my handy dandy new wifi/bluetooth themometer...it took all the fun out of the guesswork. Not only did it let me know when the steak was done, but it also let me know I was due for an oil change, the dry cycle was over and what my horoscope was for tomorow.

That looks great! Details on the BT/wifi thermometer? I love the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I should call her

edit - bad snipe, gently caress me