Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I wanted to try anchovies on pizza for the first time so last week I made my own. It was just OK. I ended up removing most of them but the remnants of flavor they left on the pizza were alright. I may have messed up by using fancy refrigerated anchovies, rather than the typical can or jar. They weren't nearly as salty, tasted almost like pickled herring. I've used them in a couple dressings and marinades since then and they were great in those. I'll give the pizza one more go, with more traditional anchovies, but I think I'm probably just not a huge fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I made Ottolenghi's Celebration Rice today, for my sister's birthday even though she's 3000 miles away. Made it as written except was so excited to eat it I that forgot the sprinkling of parsley at the end, which would have made it even prettier. 5/5 for appearance and flavor, for sure will make again. Next time I would try to increase the spices, though I worry it will make the rice a less appealing brown color. Also would half the recipe because oof at this beautiful mountain of food for a not very large family. Dogs are going to eat really well for a little while. I think also next time I would be conservative with the yogurt drizzle. It's delicious, but I'm concerned what it will do when I reheat it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Side note I thought for sure my wife was having some ambien delerium or something about some star trek character until I looked the recipe up.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Professor Wayne posted:

Looks great! Ottolenghi has some good stuff. I make his roasted sweet potatoes several times a year: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roast-sweet-potatoes-with-pickled-onions-coriander-and-goat-s-cheese

I made this tonight and it was delicious! Thanks! No pictures because plating is my least developed skill. Even still, with all the colors this looked pretty good dumped on a plate. I had regular sweet potatoes and some purple ones that were kind of sweetish but looked pretty, and I accidentally bought feta instead of goat cheese but it worked fine. I especially liked the pickled onions with it. It took a couple hours for them to take on any lime flavor but when they got there they were really tasty and I ended the meal just straight up eating them out of the bowl they were in.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Re: garden tomatoes, I have similar feelings about bush-ripened berries. A fat juicy Oregon blackberry, warm from the sun and plucked from the vine, is one of my favorite things in life and I have to restrain myself from eating so many that I poo poo my pants later on. Store-bought black/rasp/blueberries aren't worth any price to me, unless they're local, and even then they're just an acceptable approximation of the real thing.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It was hyperbole, but I will get some stomach upset if I eat too many berries. I don't think this is terribly uncommon.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That's one of my favorite meals. Persian stores will have packets of dried herbs that are much more convenient than processing all the fresh stuff and taste just as good. I always serve it with a simple cucumber/tomato/onion salad and a big dollop of plain yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Nope, dried. I usually use this particular one. You rehydrate the herbs, then squeeze as much water out as you can, then fry them like the fresh ones. It doesn't make sense to me but it works. My Iranian inlaws always did it this way and I always swore fresh herbs would taste better until I proved myself wrong.

Edit: oh yeah I always throw in fresh spinach if I have it. I don't think it does much particularly for the flavor but adds SUPER FOOD.

ihop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2024