Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kittenmittons posted:

My first attempt at bagels. Was pretty happy with how they turned out, would bagel again.

Recipe and complexity? Been thinking about doing this, just not sure it's worth the effort or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kittenmittons posted:

Used this recipe from ChefSteps.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/soft-chewy-bagels-from-scratch

As for complexity, it's not really as bad as it looks. It's a two-day process, but like a lot of bread recipes most of the time is just waiting around for the yeast to do its thing.

Awesome thanks-now to see if diastatic malt power and malt syrup is available at the grocery store.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Goons.txt

Good well job finding another way to gently caress up something else.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

large hands posted:

ginger beer belly, how were the chicken sandwiches? I've been wanting to try that recipe

I made these last week. loving amazing. My wife got small slider style ciabatta rolls so only one piece of chicken on each one, but they were great.

I've made his whole Peruvian chicken before on the grill and love that too. Unlike many of his other recipes, the amount of salt seems to be on point for me. I haven't used that special paste for the sauce he says, so it's normally just cilantro, jalapeño, and everything else-but it's pretty good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not dinner, but who cares.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

pizza!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Stringent posted:

I had a go at Chris Onstad’s fried chicken recipe, it’s good I like it.

That looks good!

So no one else has to google it and read the multi page article :

Pat dry chicken (thighs with skin on preferred)
Season with fresh black pepper and Lawry’s seasoned salt
Preheat oil in large cast iron pot to 390 degrees
Dip chicken in flour on all sides
In pan, skin side down, 5 minutes
Flip chicken, lid on, turn down heat, 15 minutes
lid off, flip chicken, 5 minutes.

Move to wire rack, rest 5 minutes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

“Sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

Pre warm rice noodles in warm/hot water for a few minutes until they’re mostly cooked. Strain.

In wok sauté shrimp (or tofu, or chicken) with a little oil until par cooked. Add pre-warmed rice noodles and mix together. Push to side and drop in two eggs to briefly scramble and then stir up and mix into noodles and shrimp. Pour in the sauce. Add shaved carrot, mung bean sprouts, chopped scallions. Stir all together.

Serve and garnish with crushed peanuts (preferably toasted), chopped cilantro and lime wedges “

This is my standard recipe. It’s a good jumping off point. After making it over and over I’ve kind of switched around the order that I add things to the wok. But that really depends on the way you like to stir fry things... the kind of wok you have, how much oil you like to use, temp, etc.

Like now I usually cook the eggs first and take them out and add them back towards the end. They were getting too mashed up with all the stirring and tossing.

Sauce recipe is still the same because I think it’s pretty excellent.

Help me make this-I tried it tonight but it didn’t taste like much and I couldn’t get the noodles to mix well with the chicken, egg, or sprouts.

I used half a pack of rice noodles-is that what you usually use?

I also don’t have a wok so I did it in a nonstick pan.

I cooked the eggs first, set them aside, then I cooked the chicken, added in the drained noodles, added sauce, green onions and sprouts (I didn’t have carrots), then I tried to mix it all together but the chicken and egg just would not incorporate into the noodles, so I basically plated the noodles first and then topped it with the chicken and the egg.

For the flavor, it just didn’t taste much like anything. It smelled fishy because the fish sauce bit that was it. I added sriracha, more cilantro, more peanuts, more like juice, and some extra soy and that helped a little bit. I think I should maybe add some more honey next time?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pollyanna posted:

I tried making this tonight, and I don't think the recipe is accurate at all. 3 hours at 300, and the chicken is cooked, but not as impressively brown as it looks in the picture, and the potatoes are still hard.

It might be that my oven can't hold the right temperature. I'll have to buy a thermometer to check. In the meantime, back in it goes at 400 for another hour and a half.

E: Yeah, I think it's my oven. 400f and it's a lot closer to how it looks in the picture now. Jesus, what a lovely loving oven.

I made it yesterday and it came out like the pictures. Oven was at 325 to actually hit 300 though.

Chicken breast came out a bit dry but I think I cooked it for maybe 20 minutes too long. I’ll make it again though.

I don’t get why they suggest two limes. The recipe says cut both in half and then one half into quarters and use a half of a lime to squeeze over the potatoes. Unless I read it wrong I used half a lime squeezed and had the other half for wedges to serve.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Torquemada posted:

Duck leg, red cabbage dressed with mustard and sour cream, and sauté potatoes.

Holy gently caress

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

toplitzin posted:

I went to Costco, and in the freezer section I found:

I doctored it up with a bit more lime and a spoon of mexican crema.

How did it taste? I’ve had other stuff from that brand and haven’t been too impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So wait-do you go in blind and just have the server explain things as they bring them, and then at the end they present a bill with a summary of the menu?