Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

theres a will theres moe posted:

Here's a super-lovely pic of some 'west African sweet potato and peanut soup' from some cooks illustrated book. The soup is good.

I made some of this a couple of weeks ago myself and it was awesome. That's cornbread you've got with it? Now that's what I was missing, I went with sourdough and goat cheese grilled cheese sandwiches instead though so not a terrible trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

kumba posted:

A few highlights from the past week:

Made coconut curry soup again, this time with shrimp. Bonus movie theatre candy and dog toy in the background

This is some real good stuff by the way, made it a few times now for me and the wife. Definitely a good call to pour the soup over the noodles, for us the recipe makes about 4 servings so we get 2+ meals out of it.

I tried a couple of other adjustments for my own taste as well:
- Whatever brand of Vermicelli noodles it was I managed to find here was awful, tasted like chalk, so I ended up trying it with Yakisoba noodles instead. Worked perfectly fine, with I could find some fresh Ramen noodles to try though.

- After bringing the soup to a boil, I like to poach a few eggs in there along with it. Much less work than trying to peel hard/soft boiled eggs :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

paraquat posted:

^^nice, would definitely eat!

I made spicy Korean chicken (and left the sesame seeds out) pretty much per this recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-korean-chicken-wings/
and had some stir fried vegetables with that.

I ended up giving this a try, and while it was fairly good, the sauce came out really thick on the wings. I don't think I did anything wrong based on the recipe, but it definitely looked a hell of a lot darker in color, and thicker, than any of the pictures suggested.

Any idea what I might have done? Or if I need to adjust the ingredients or something? It doesn't really specify how long to heat the sauce other than 'until it becomes saucy' but I'm not clear on how long that is (first time making anything like this).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

paraquat posted:

I think Thoht is right.

Just to give you an idea Gwyrgyn Blood, I think my pan was on low heat and I hardly stirred any longer than to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar, bout 2 to 3 minutes or something, as the consistency of the mixed ingredients is saucy to begin with.

Yeah I think this was the main problem, I left it sitting on low for a while, while the wings cooked. So I tried again and just gave it a tiny bit of heat and it came out a lot better. Also tweaked it a tiny bit based on another suggestion (little bit more chili powder and vinegar, little bit less Soy Sauce) so that got it about perfect. Still a bit on the thick side for me though so I'll just be a little more dainty when applying it next time.

Then my 12 month old started stealing my wings, so confirmed good for toddlers as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I also make the pizza

Parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta, prosciutto. It turned out really good and I ate it way too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ideally you want a nice pile of Thai Basil to go in that too, I use about a cup when I do it. Bamboo shoots are my favorite in it, but bell peppers are nice too.