Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
There are too many fantastic things in this thread so it is my duty to lower the tone.

:siren: trigger warnings ahead :siren:

I had some venison salami that was rapidly approaching end of life and thought a pizza may be a good idea rather than having a sandwich. I confess that I have only ever made a pizza base once before and it was from a pre-mixed box. Shameful.

Also had an overload of tinned plum tomatoes for reasons that are unimportant. What could go wrong? Well, with all stores closed, I realised that my remaining dried yeast was a year and a half old. gently caress it - I'm commited now! Also I had no 00 flour so went with strong bread instead (the internet can't seem to agree if that's a better sub than pasta flour, which I also had). Oh, also no pizza stone, or, apparently, the ability to make dough into anything resembling a circle. But the tomato sauce I made (with lots of chili since we're going spicy) was good so I wasn't going to be stopped.

Black olives, I know :dealwithit:

Where's the cheese? Ah, I didn't have any mozzarella either. Sharp cheddar do? Internet says "hell no!" with one caveat that you can add it halfway through cooking. So that's what I did.

And...it was actually rather good! Probably didn't rise as much as it should but the crust was a good combo of crunchy/chewy. Triumph over adversity!

To atone for my pizza sins (no pizza rules!), I also made some tasty (but messy) gooseberry fools from some homegrown dessert ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Friend posted:

Thanks to y'all for posting about the Budget Bytes Dragon Noodles a few pages ago, I had never heard of it or the website before. Made that and it was great, made their cajun chicken pasta tonight. Forgot to take a picture so here's one of the leftovers before they went in the fridge, but drat it was good

Cheers for the inspiration - looked it up and it sounded right up my street. So...

Why are my herbs/spices wearing a bra?:

A good start:

Let's get this show on the road:

Creamy but needs something:

There we go, some badly chopped green onions!:

The end result:

A lot of pics of something that's not much to look at but you're drat right that it's drat good. Am amazed you even had leftovers as I couldn't stop picking at what wasn't eaten right there and then.

This fella, for reference...

All y'alls are making some beautiful stuff (those macarons!) so apologies for my humble poo poo.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Olpainless posted:

Never apologise for a delicious and wonderful looking plate of food.

Fair point. And thanks!

franco
Jan 3, 2003
This would have been some serious thread necromancy but I found the related ones are archived.

NICSA: Quadruple Ginger Pie

franco posted:

Going to make that for my dad sometime as he is a total pear and ginger fiend.

Well it only took me four bloody years!

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED!

* I am still poo poo at pastry (not helped by folding it over the sides of the dish rather than in on itself - read the loving recipe!).
* Crystallised ginger is stupidly expensive.

Cheers, EVG, for the inspiration - made it at home then carefully transported it to my parents' for the festive season and my dad absolutely loved it :)

franco
Jan 3, 2003

EVG posted:

Amazing!! It looks great too.

Thanks! :)

This pastry lark won't defeat me - had a load of apples gifted to me from a friend of my parents with a small orchard so...

I'm getting there (slowly)!

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Also made a saag paneer/kedgeree thing (without fish) that was stupid simple but absolutely delicious:

And used the last of my chives that were starting to look a bit sad for a creamed herb butter that whenever I poke around in the freezer I'll wonder "who left a couple of turds in here?!".

A little late on this, but Happy New Year all y'all. You all make such great stuff and this thread is inspiring :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

fart store posted:

If you wrap the butter like a hard candy and twist the ends tight, it'll form into a sausage-like cylinder instead of this turd thing you got goin' here.

It all goes down (and comes out) the same way, man :colbert: