Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What's the diff between purple kraut and red cabbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if its napa cabbage then where did the color come from? Napa aka chinese cabbage isn't red/purple.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm loving all these sushi posts. Do you have to use fish marked as "Sushi Grade" or just any frozen fish?

Don't use fresh water fish, either.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Schnitzel and assorted salads, including German-style potato salad with capers.

YES YES.

Did you squeeze some fresh lemon juice on that bad boy? And what kind of meat was it? Veal, pork, or chicken?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Burged.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

iajanus posted:

Ooh that looks delicious! Got a recipe?

In before "That's not Shepherd's pie!" after recipe posted

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Where do you source your shepherd from and how much does it cost?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I got an upgrade and in turn upped my smashed burger game

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BrianBoitano posted:

How do you keep the burger from sticking to the smash spatula? Oil the spatula first?

Nothing. The meat doesn't stick.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
timg is your friend

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The days it would take a helicopter to find the herd and then the week it would take the grain truck to reach them doesn't make it economical. Australian beef farmers know what they're doing. It's not an exaggeration when Willy says some farms are the size of US states.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lladre posted:

The US has some pretty small states. Even the US has ranches bigger than some states.

Mostly true but for more perspective; Australia's largest cattle ranch (9100 sq mi) is 7x the size of the USA's largest. This makes it bigger than 7 US states. The USA's biggest ranch is 1200 sq mi making it only bigger than 1 state, Rhode Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Creek_Station
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Station_(Northern_Territory)
https://state.1keydata.com/states-by-size.php

Australia is a big little island continent nation!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

large hands posted:

bun bo hue w/ brisket

It's criminal that in this thread and the pressure cooker thread no one commented on this. Your food looks amazing and so does your photography.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Carbs on carbs with a side of carbs and alcohol.

Want.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
No you didn't.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Use a cigarette lighter

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
could be good for burging too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You mean pasteurized(or properly canned), not just cooked right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
In English we call sterilizing the jars 'canning'. For jams my German opa would get a big pot of hot water (not boiling), put the glass jars in, wait a while, fill them with jam, then put the jams back in water to pasteurize them. Then the jams can sit on the shelf for like 12 months, no fridge/freezer needed.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 24, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Dog died :( But she makes more videos in his memory.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Her apron narrates now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bavarian roast pork shoulder with red cabbage, potato dumplings, home made pork stock gravy

Lion's head soup

Smashed burgers

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Stangg posted:

Mince and Herb Ravioli, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Sweet Balsamic Glaze

Mmmm smeared poop!

loving fantastic food, dude/dudette!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fondant potatoes are the bees knees btw. My favorite way to consume potatoes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MrYenko posted:

Your husband is Missing. The. gently caress. Out.

Oysters are disgusting salty slimy gross things that taste very bad. So no he's snot missing out.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Toe Rag posted:

I've only had oysters once but it basically tasted how the ocean smells, which is not good in my book.

And you pay good money for it. No thanks. I had an oyster based dish at Benu and I could barely get it down. Don't think Benu serves bad oysters, it's just not for me.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 22, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
getting the right consistency of yolk in a scotch egg is not easy, and that looks loving brilliant.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I would heartily gobble yer cobble, me hearties

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grain finished USDA Choice Ribeye. Salted and air dried in the fridge, 3 minutes a side. Slightly warm rare.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

blixa posted:

Pizza night. First one was dry salami, basil.

Out of the oven:

That looks so good. Do you like crispy salami? Next time you could leave it on top of the cheese and hope it curls up and browns on the edges... now I'm hungry

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Siu Yuk. Girlfriend and I are eating low carb, so we had it 'wrap' style with various bits and pieces we had laying around. Made some dipping sauces, but sans hoi sin :(

This is the next day after the skin had been left to dry in the fridge overnight. I used skewers to prevent it from curling in the oven.

Pretty crunchy but still a tiny bit of chew. Need to perfect this over many attempts.

The spread

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So much good home made food ITT

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

iajanus posted:

Made a lasagne from scratch for the first time

Looks great. I cook up a double sized quantity of ragu that is initially eaten with pappardelle, then the leftovers can be fridge or frozen and used in lasagna in the near future. This way I give it more time to cook and make it a more elaborate recipe.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hello there

Is that salt and pepper on the avocado or some other dark salt?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I did not make that but raw pork can be great

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sehkmet posted:

I made char siu bao today from this recipe: http://goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

They were delicious. Half of them are already gone.

I want to eat these so bad. What was the texture of that bun bread like vs. bao from a Chinese bakery or dim sum? Same? Different?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've been experimenting with these 'Chinese' pork meatballs that are pan fried then finished in chicken stock with whatever stuff you have around. This time the meatballs contained the whites of green onions, ginger, white pepper, sesame oil and soy sauce. Then I tossed in some mushrooms before finishing with stock, bok choy and cilantro. I think the original recipe I saw called these Lion's head soup.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last night meatballs and mashed potatoes and gravy. I don't bother making them round, they fry faster this way.

Rissoles! Yum.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Balls of meat are awesome. I'm really digging Chinese "Lion's Head" both dry and in soups.

mostlygray posted:

I was at my local cafe tonight and I ordered "Danish meatballs" off the specials menu. It looked exactly like that except that it had green beans served with it.

I didn't know what Danish meatballs were but now they're a huge favorite. It was awesome! Family run cafe's always have good "grandma's recipe" food.

Frikadeller. My partner has Danish grandparents and they make them around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

iajanus posted:

I used to hate rissoles when I was a kid but now they're awesome. And those look great!

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

shark is the best fish

Shark (the right species) are loving DELICIOUS. I don't see it for sale in bay area fish mongers though. Is local shark not good eating? It's popular in Australia. Tasmanian Gummy shark beef battered and deep fried mmmmmmm.