Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Junior G-man posted:

Made the Binging With Babish lasagna this weekend - never tried adding ground veal and milk to my bolognese before but it's good, even if very heavy on the stomach.

Also left out the ricotta because that has no place in lasagna and replaced it with bechamel.

Now that's a loving lasagna, aka a lasagna I'd like to gently caress (with my mouth).

But seriously there's a lot to be said for chicken stock / white wine / pork&veal spaghetti sauce. Too many people think it has to be beef and red wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

large hands posted:

When we make cha gio we wrap them in a lettuce leaf with mint/thai basil/cilantro etc. before dipping in the nuoc Cham. It was a game changer for me, adds a great fresh flavor and keeps the oil off your fingers.

Pro tip: try it like this but with rau ram aka vietnamese coriander.

I don't see it as much in the bay area vietnamese places but I do see it in the asian markets and places that let you make your own spring rolls.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
loving hell mate.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
would challah go well with chili, like tear and dip it in instead of a tortilla or something? I've never eaten it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Casu Marzu posted:

I think you forgot the sear part

iajanus posted:

got drunk af

Plausible.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
sunday roast

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cheers. I used a slightly different method for this 'half picnic roast' cut. Tented it in foil and cooked it for 2 hours @ 325 then removed the foil for the rest of the cook, before cranking it up to 550 to crisp the crackling. I think the tenting/steaming helped break down the skin and fat for better crackling.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I made this soup thing.

It's my "lazy laab" (ground pork, lemongrass, onion, garlic, thai chili, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, Taro the dog supervision), thai pickled chilies (fish sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar), home made chicken broth, wide rice noodles, cilantro and napa to make it "healthy".

Note: not my george foreman. Housemate uses it for dino nuggets...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So much good food on this page

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sterster posted:

Homemade miso with 16hr SV pork belly. Bean sprouts, green onion, nori, soft egg, red pepper.

whats in your marinade for the belly, is it like chashu or cha siu or whatever?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Human Tornada posted:

Pork stew with cider, carrots, and parsnips, and a simple white boule.

May I have the pork cider stew recipe please? I am a sucker for stew and bread.

silvergoose posted:

Snow day, holiday weekend, bolognese.

That sauce really stuck to the pasta god drat

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
TIL about Raclette, the white man's dairy version of Korean BBQ. How have I never heard of this before?!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So it's swiss fondue on a grill? This is to korean bbq what fondue is to hotpot?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There's a lot of variations on 'lion's head' soup too (Chinese meatballs). I make big pork meatballs with scallion, white pepper, ginger, tiny bit of sesame oil then pan fry them hard on one side, flip, add broth and other soup ingredients, cover and bring to a simmer. Couple I've made in the past:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jose posted:

I was trying to hide the clutter behind my chopping board but this is 140f pork loin that was in for about 2 and a half hours before a sear

so juicy

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

silvergoose posted:

Fresh rolls are *so fuckin good*.

These look great! We do a housemate dinner with these, people bring different ingredients and make stuff, then we all make the rolls at the table together as we eat. It's a nice change up from hotpot.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Raikiri posted:

Honey & Cumin roast pork belly, sugar snap peas, leek and mushroom croquettes with a pork/onion gravy.

im defrosting a pork belly slab right now do you have a recipe please?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Thank you I actually have all this except whole cumin but I'll sub! Leeks looked good today.

iajanus posted:

Made dough today and we made pizzas

You must be chuffed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4fHlldbRHo&t=125s

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My Oma's gurkensalat is killer and so is her kartoffelsalat, but that looks like the best of both worlds so gonna hafta "GIMME DAT RECIPE" please.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
instagram or if you must, via the websites/restaurant. He won't refuse to donate if you contact him directly with it, that would mean he's only doing it for the press.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ogarza posted:

tortillas

now that's good posting

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Liquid Communism posted:

Burgers need eggs. :colbert:

Add a grilled pineapple ring, some sliced pickled beetroot, canadian bacon and baby, you got an aussie burger with the lot :australia:

pim01 posted:

We red braised some pork

I'm gonna do the same in my new IP this weekend! Did you use the SA Chinese food thread recipe?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

iajanus posted:

Resident burger eating :australia: checking in to say no, we don't put baby on our burgers

touche

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stringent posted:

Need it to cover the flavor of the marsupial meat they cut the beef with.

my local permanent fast food caravan (the kind open til 5am used by taxi drivers and drunks after the pub) back in the day mixed coles snag meat into their beef patties. Was actually pretty good. Their chips gravy was as black as my step-grandmother's heart and you could get vegemite on your all pork-rear end in a top hat hotdogs. poo poo was legit.

Also its not a burger with the lot unless its got the pineapple and beetroot, fight me iajanus.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 10, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I bought some char siu from my local hong kong bbq guy, made it into char siu "bao" mix inside phyllo and voila, easy sweet pork snack. I used the char siu bao recipe from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5GJP_i55o

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Straight, shoestring, crinkle, doesn't matter because they're not "fries" if they're baked in an oven.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, they're par-fried, I just oven finished them because I've been out of town for a week and didn't want to gently caress with getting out the deep fryer.

If it will make you happier, we can call them baked potato sticks? Either way, they hit the spot.

I apologize I did not mean this like a call out or attack. I was literally eating some oven fries and a microwaved hamburger from white castle at the time, ruminating about what my live had become.

We could just call them chips ;)

edit: or authentic potato straws

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 3, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sauerbraten, spaetzle, rotkohl und gurkensalat

Marinade (ended up marinating the beef for 8 days. It was actually amazing)

spaetzle maker!

always butter your spaetzle between batches

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Onion, carrot, celery, garlic, red wine vinegar, red wine, water, juniper berries, cloves, bay leaves.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
first time making wontons

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
ya based on these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SJUkEfGQtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thLTObHwCfI

I didn't use oyster sauce or chicken powder, and for the oil/vinegar it's good old lao gan ma and shanxi

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's so cheap, 1lb of pork and a packet of wonton wrappers is like $6, might as well go all in

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

iajanus posted:

It burnt around the edges, but my first attempt at cauliflower pizza

google fathead pizza. It's way better than cauliflower shite if you're trying to low carb.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean, feel free, but if you're not trying to be keto then real dough is better. Fathead is still inferior to real dough, but better than cauliflower.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That certainly is a thing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JawKnee posted:

tonight I decided to try making scotch eggs for the first time

turned out pretty good but I'm going to boil them for less time next time

gently caress me that looks so loving good. Probably the best scotch eggs I've ever seen.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
that sounds like boar/male pork meat that got a little too old before slaughter. You may also have the gene that makes pork smell pissy, though I would have thought you'd have developed that taste a lot earlier in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Hi everyone its chef john from FOOD wishes dot com wiiiiIIIIIth