Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I made some Bao

Coincidentally I failed to make some bao last night (I think there was a mistake in the amount of flour in the recipe I was using and they were a bit too doughy after steaming).

I made homemade hoisin sauce and sous vide chicken thighs which turned out fine, so it was okay without the bao although I was disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I seasoned the chicken with salt pepper and nacho chili powder.
Should this be "ancho chili powder"? Or is "nacho chili powder" a thing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raikiri posted:

Made pork and spring onion potstickers from scratch. Folding dough/crimping is a skill I've yet to learn.

They're gorgeous.

mystes
May 31, 2006

large hands posted:

copied the guy upthread and made the delicious mess that is halal cart chicken.

I made this recently, too, and can confirm it was delicious, although I don't think the sauce in the Serious Eats recipe is quite the same as what Halal Guys uses which is what I was envisioning.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 24, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Use the thrillist recipe for the white sauce.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

The red sauce is usually hot sauce/harissa.
Thanks. I'll have to try this next time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Use the thrillist recipe for the white sauce.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

The red sauce is usually hot sauce/harissa.
So I actually made this today, and it sort of seems like the recipe forgot to say to add sugar, but once I added some it did taste very close to the Halal Guys sauce.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

This is nacho dinner.

I wish it was, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Because of all this black bean burger talk, I'm going to try making them later this week. I've had good luck with Kenji recipes so far and I like black bean burgers in general.

mystes
May 31, 2006

No picture, but I made Kenji's black bean burgers and they were really good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

Spam musubi. Not the first time making it, but the first time I've documented the process. Pardon the amateur pics, this is my first time posting here:

Spam slices marinating

Everything cooked and ready to start putting them together

Almost done...

The finished product!

If you're making them big and square like that and using that much nori anyway, you might want to try making them into little sandwiches onigirazu style with the ends covered by nori as well. They're really easy to make and they're probably easier to eat than giant sushi rolls.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-make-onigirazu-rice-ball-sandwich-step-by-step-2030923

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made the bon appetit black sesame mochi cake that someone recently linked to:

I really like the consistency of the cake, but I'm not sure I completely like the sesame/caramel icing. I feel like I might like it more with some other flavor or something, but I also made a really intensely flavored cake with marzipan and fondant that I flavored with freeze dried strawberry and stuff a few days ago and that might have broken my taste buds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wasn't there was someone like 7 years ago in one of the photography threads who would post plates of food on the floor or something?

Bird guy sort of reminds me of that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

*looks at box of golden curry*
Mmm, katsu girlfriend meme.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

I promised katsu curry and I'm a man of my word.

Carrot, onion, sweet potato, acorn squash.
A knob of dark chocolate with the curry mix.
Nice!

I made lasagna and pumpkin frozen yogurt but no pictures because I'm lazy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just finished making parsnip soup for tomorrow but that looks interesting enough that I would go back to the kitchen and make that soup too if I had more than one sweet potato on hand.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In addition to the parsnip soup I made yesterday, I had pasta genovese (food wishes recipe but sped up by starting with a pressure cooker) and chocolate bread pudding (king arthur flour recipe) for dinner, but I'm sure it was almost as healthy as a salmon bowl.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I finally got around to making this yesterday and it was really good. I'm definitely going to do it again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

large hands posted:

leftover mashed potato waffles w/ buttermilk, blue cheese, kale, spinach and spring onions mixed in. didn't have stuff for hollandaise but that would've been even better

Wow that looks good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have some leftover cooked potatoes in the refrigerator so I might mash them and try this tomorrow.

mystes
May 31, 2006

large hands posted:

I used this serious eats recipe for ratios of flour/egg/buttermilk
Thanks. It turned out a bit weird since the potatoes I used were left over from kenji's numbing potato recipe, but still pretty decent and I would do it again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

prayer group posted:

what the gently caress
What else do you think he would serve it in? A hotdog purse? A hamburger casette?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Speaking of mussels I've made this recipe for steak and mussels with cream from Six Seasons a bunch of times recently (although I didn't actually make it tonight) and it's really easy and good:

quote:

Sautéed Mushrooms and Mussels in Cream on Sliced Steak
Servings: » Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 pound rib-eye or New York strip steak, preferably grass-fed but as nicely marbled as you can get
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, roughly sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 small handful mixed hearty herb sprigs, such as sage, thyme, rosemary, and savory
1 pound wild mushrooms, such as maitake, chanterelle, black trumpet (or a mix of creminis and wild), wiped clean and dry, cut into chunks if large
½ teaspoon dried chile flakes
1 pound mussels, rinsed well and debearded
¾ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

DESCRIPTION
My version of surf and turf. The mushrooms and mussels alone are delicious—double the recipe and skip the steak to make this pescatarian.

DIRECTIONS
Generously season all sides of your steak with salt and black pepper. Do this as far ahead as you can, up to a day in advance, keeping the steak in the fridge.

Take the steak out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking. When you’re ready to cook, blot the steak dry with paper towels.

Heat a heavy skillet over high heat until it’s very hot. Add the steak—don’t use any oil. Turn the heat down to medium-high or medium, so that the steak is browning nicely but not getting too crusty or dark. Cook until it’s about half done, 3 to 4 minutes depending on the thickness and temperature of your steak.

Add the butter, garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Cook, basting the steak by spooning the hot butter and juices over the top. After another minute or so, flip the steak, add the herbs, and keep basting away, letting the herbs and butter get all flavorful together.

When the steak is medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes total for a 1-inch-thick steak, transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest while you cook the mushrooms.

Take the herbs out of the pan (but keep the fat)and discard or compost them. Bring the heat back up to medium-high. Add the mushrooms and chile flakes and sauté until the mushrooms are slightly wilted and crispy, about 8 minutes, shaking the pan a bit.

Add the mussels (yes, in their shells). Cook, shaking and tossing the pan so the mushrooms don’t burn and the mussels get even heat, until the mussels open, about 10 minutes, then pour in the cream. Fold the mussels and mushrooms together until they are nicely cloaked in cream. If there are mussels that just won’t open, toss them out.

Add the lemon juice. Taste a mushroom and adjust the seasoning with more salt, black pepper, or chile flakes as needed.

Slice the steak, arrange it on a platter, and pour the mushrooms and mussels over the top. Serve right away, with a bowl for discarded mussel shells.

NOTES
In the kitchen Mussels are easy to cook with because they don’t need much prep. Just give them a rinse and then scrape or cut away the small tangle of fibers, called the beard, that attaches them to their home.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Got a Ebelskiver pan for Christmas, so made some ebelskiver for breakfast. They’re basically pancake balls with jelly inside (blueberry here). Surprisingly easy to make, and very good.
I bet you can make takoyaki with that too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Happy New Year y’all. Assembled myself a charcuterie board with what I could get via Instacart.

What's all the stuff in it specifically, for my vicarious enjoyment?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Momofuku-ish bossam and some random stuff out of the fridge.
Are the front leaves in the top picture perilla and if so do you grow it yourself?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

brother are you a cow

are cows allowed to post?
I'm guessing a horse, but I could be wrong.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would like to hear everyone's go chu recipe as well.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

my gripe is less from a cooking perspective and more from the perspective of i always find it weird to enjoy a plate of food where i have leftover, inedible stuff to bother with.

see also: chicken wings, oranges, shrimp, and... god forbid... lobster/crab legs
So use a bowl for the empty shells to get them off your plate?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like mussels because they're tasty and easy to cook and also they're suprisingly cheap compared to other things like oysters.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Made some [gluten free] pasta today! GF dough is tough to work with compared with regular wheat flour dough, but drat this pasta was worth the effort.

I assume it has eggs in it? It seems like that would be pretty hard to get to work without gluten.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arepas with pulled pork:

I had never made my own arepas from scratch before but they were pretty easy and tasty.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 24, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Can you post a recipe for the Madzoon ov kofte?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’ve done the baking powder wings thing too and I was real happy with how they came out.
I just did this for the first time tonight and it was great. I'm definitely going to do it again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I really really like J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's black bean burger recipe. It comes together really quick, you can customize it in a lot of ways super easily, and it freezes great.
I've made it enough that I got sick of it so I would be interested in any variations you suggest.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Segue posted:

Bon appetit has a really simple lentil burger that's super customizable. I use chickpea flour, throw in some msg and additional spices and it's a really solid lazy day cook.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/healthyish-lentil-burgers
Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Segue posted:

Bon appetit has a really simple lentil burger that's super customizable. I use chickpea flour, throw in some msg and additional spices and it's a really solid lazy day cook.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/healthyish-lentil-burgers
Thanks again for suggesting this. I did it tonight and it was exactly what I wanted (good in all the way the black bean burgers are good but with different flavors).

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart store posted:

You got recipes or recipe links for these? That asparagus salad looks good. I'm not finding any certain matches when googling.
It looks like it could just be something like this (with added dill or something?):https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/shaved-asparagus-salad-3416221

Although the one breaks made is much prettier.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm picturing it right now and I want it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like bechamel-based mac and cheese personally but I was never a fan of boxed mac and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

also served with some of this, the cheese isn't mozzarella, it was something softer that I can't remember the name.

Burrata?