Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Coastal dry rubbed salmon cooked on cedar planks. Roasted parm asparagus & baked potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

kittenmittons posted:

Pork chop rubbed with herbs and lavender, glazed carrots with ginger, pea and mint puree.

Is this a kids plate? Seems like there isn't enough food for that plate. Or I'm a big fat heathen. Probably the latter :/

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

emotive posted:

Spicy vegetarian miso ramen with 6 minute egg and crispy roasted shiitakes

I even busted out the real camera for this one.

That looks amazing, I'm jelly.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Made some pork ribs and forgot to take before picture so here is a during with lovely lighting and a cellphone quality.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide wagyu petite filet with pasta aglio e olio:

First time making the pasta and it won't be my last. So good and so easy.

Why didn't this make it into the sous vide thread. Looks amazing.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

AA is for Quitters posted:

Talking about artistic shots of food, here's another try for me:

This is just want food used to look like before we invented color. I'm sure our grandparents would find this nostalgic.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

Made my first brisket

This should be xpost to smoking thread. Looks great from what I can see on mobile.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
xpost from SV thread. I had steak

sterster posted:

Guys, I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. Took my cast iron out to the gas grill and got her ripping hot. One of the best sears I've done. Anywho, these were some massive 2" thick Ribeye that I picked up for 5.70/lb and the picture is half of 1 Ribeye. I didn't even finish my portion.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just looking at the amount of bonito on that makes me gag. That stuff just makes me want to vomit. Sorry not making GBS threads on your food just expressing my opinion. You do you boo boo

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

camoseven posted:

Did you know that you don't have to share every opinion that pops into your head? Weird but true!

Yes I do know that but we are on the internet. It's like rule #1 that when you have an opposing view from someone else you have to tell them.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Why would you refrigerate bacon grease? :psyduck: Do you refrigerate your vegetable oil? Butter is a little more delicate, since it hasn't been rendered but separated, and even so you can usually keep it on the counter for weeks.

While I agree with most of this. Butter is really dependent on you location and ambient temps. Living in Az has change my butter habits of leaving it on the counter :( I love soft butter but got to be careful with it in the summer months.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
White wine sauce, crispy chicken thighs with vegetable medley. Garlic, mushrooms, carrots, red potatoes, spinach.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
12hr sous vide ribs dry rubbed & finished in the oven

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Homemade miso with 16hr SV pork belly. Bean sprouts, green onion, nori, soft egg, red pepper.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Framboise posted:

That looks incredible, but newbie question: does the amount of time you SV something matter? I got one for Christmas this year and it made even a cheap steak taste like heaven, but that was only for 2 hours. I have some strip steaks ready to cook that way, but I need some more plastic bags before I can do so.

Yes time matters especially when cooking at lower temps as it provides more time for collagen to break down. It does vary for different meats. Like I don't think cooking a ribeye or beef tenderloin is going to get you anything after a couple of hours. Things like brisket, pork belly, flank/hanger steaks, ribs do benefit from longer cooks but there is a cut off. Take a look at this chart for brisket. where they keep temps same but show over time the changes. Also read some of the description of the recipe and how it changes the meats.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

Ranter posted:

whats in your marinade for the belly, is it like chashu or cha siu or whatever?
Dude I'm not well versed. It's mirin 1/4c, soy 1/4c, like 1/4c ginger thin sliced, white parts of 3 green onion fine chop, 2 cloves garlic
Edit: quick google makes me lean towards chashu

sterster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 18, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Alright, did the welly today. I'm not sure what I expected. It was good but not sure it was worth the effort. Also I'm not a huge mushroom fan so maybe that has something to do with it. I'd be interested to have it out at a restaurant to see how it compares.

With wine sauce & garlic mashed red potatoes

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I was kicking my own rear end last night about the doneness of the venison burgers I made. They were slightly over cooked but everyone seemed to enjoy them.

But they were over cooked :hai:

I'm making white castle sliders tonight pics to come.
EDIT: I forgot to take pictures. We ate them all :(

I find that cooks are generally their own worst critics.
Brisket: Me "Man this is too dry and the bark isn't they way I wanted etc.."
Everyone else *nom nom nom nom* "Holy poo poo this is so good. Like best Brisket I've" nom nom "eaten."

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 29, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Casu Marzu posted:

That grilled cheese life

OH mama, that looks great. I want grilled cheese and tomato soup now.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Spinach artichoke melt

There is a local joint that does this melt but also has a fried green tomato with bacon. It's pretty loving good.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Raikiri posted:

Hoi sin glazed cured pork belly strips with bao buns, pickled daikon/carrot/cucumber and rice flavoured with cardamom, lemon grass and pandan leaves.

:drat: That looks loving amazing. How was the pork belly done, just in the oven?

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 5, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Most of us in the western world, with white parents, experienced vegetables as children as "here's some Boiled Plants" and so we mostly have hangups where we expect you have to do a Lot to make them taste great. I'm not making assumptions on your background, it's just a very common thing to not really have this general childhood-level knowledge that vegetables are easy to make delicious.

The question was always , "Canned Green beans or Canned Carrots or Canned Corn?"

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Flank steak fajita night.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I made some traditional Al Pastor taco meat. It was 100% spot on. Soo good. We ate more than what we needed for our meal prep.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Right!? Speaking of brining I fell like I should be doing it more instead of just on Turkey Day. I honestly don't know the 1st thing about wet vs dry for which meats and how long. I should do some reading.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Omg that looks amazing. How do I make this thing?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Fish and chips with relish aioli and tomato puree.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Seriously though the fish sticks is what I made for the kids. This is what me and the wife had.
Pork chashu ramen.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

GenericGirlName posted:

Why can’t the kids have ramen?! I’ll take the fish sticks though as a pre-ramen snack...

It's not a can't issue. It's a want issue. They are still trying to figure out what they like. At the very least I got them to try the broth and I got some interesting face. Yet they will gladly eat pre packaged nissin ramen. As an example the youngest doesn't like jelly on his peanut butter sandwiches. The oldest eats baby carrots with ketchup. Anything I make is too spicy while they are knuckle deep in a bag of spicy Cheetos or takis. They both love broccoli though. Kids are weird.

sterster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 24, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Chunderstorm posted:

Hi goons, I'm new to the thread. Please be gentle.

I picked up a simple charcoal grill last weekend. Made kabobs on it first, and today did tacos. Grilled some chicken breasts and pineapples (was a friend's birthday and he likes pineapple so we figured why not), shredded the chicken, seasoned half with taco seasoning and the other half got teriyaki sauce. Had a side of fajita vegetables, cheese, the aforementioned grilled pineapple, lime wedges, pico, and guac (the latter were store-bought because it's a weeknight and we were lazy).

Nice, Looks delicious. Keep it up and post more pictures!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Buddy of mine made some black garlic. Not sure what to put it in I made some bread. Black galic & rosemary loaf.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

horchata posted:

need to do it longer for next time.
I think that I do mine for like 12-16 hours SV that will provide a better texture.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

Pizzadilla

I'm...I'm not the only one? Do you butter it to crisp up the bottom?
Did you discover this when you were drunk like I did? We even call it the same thing. My mind is seriously blown.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Spinach artichoke & havarti stuffed pork chops.

Have tons of extra time to cook so figured I'd make this for a monday night dinner. Asparagus is a bit overcooked but meh.

Meat Pocket. To only be used for cooking!

Wilt spinach, squeez out excess moisture.
Dice artichoke harts
Grate your Havarti

Garlic salt, pepper, Parm & olive oil.

Same dish from ages ago before I knew how to cook, take better photos, plate etc. It's cool to see the changes. I question how it was even edible, I was proud of it back then too.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BBQ Dave posted:

:holy: truly inspirational. I'm gonna try your recipe and not change a drat thing! Did you pipe the filling in? Do you sear the bacon edges on screaming hot or just high heat?

Make sure you have some pretty meaty 1.5-2in porkchops.

When making your meat pocket try to keep the entry hole small. I don't know how to explain how to cut the pocket but here it goes. You want to face the blade left. Push the tip all the way to the right wall of the pork chop. Wait till you feel the poke of the tip of knife though the wall. You're probably going to poke your fingers Then you move the pork chop back and forth on the blade all the while moving the point up the right hand side, to the back and down the left side of the pork chop. This should make the inside pocket as big as possible. I do pipe the filling it. It takes some technique. Here are some suggestions on the filling.

for 2 pork chops I use
10-12oz if spinach
Wilt that down. let cool a bit. Then squeeze out the excess moisture, there is more than you think.
Grate 4oz of Havarti
Dice on the small side your artichoke hearts
Chop the spinach then combine all 3 add to piping bag

Try not to over fill the pork chops as they will turn rounded and not get a good crust/sit flat in the pan. As for heat it's med high/high. Just something that's going to get me a good sear. I intentionally don't sear the bottom as they are going to sit in the pan while it finishes in the oven.

Cook time for ~150f @ 400 is about 15-ish min

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like all of my family heirloom recipes came out of a magazine in the 50s :shrug:

A lot of secret family recipes are like this. I remember reading that someone collected like 200+ 'secret' recipes and of those something like 90% were exactly or almost exactly the same as a recipe found on a can of evaporated milk printed in the 40's or something.

Edit: I can't find it. I found the reddit thread where I think someone was talking about it but can't seem to find the comment where they linked the article.

sterster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 6, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

slothrop posted:

OK then chief, lets see how I go!
voila!

I'm sure it's useful for something
Chicarrones for the skin maybe? the bones into a stew maybe? I'm happy to hear your ideas.

NICE! That's cool to see someone else take a stab at something that I've worked on over the years. The peppers are a nice touch too. Yeah there is so much liquid that comes out of the spinach. I've never blended my stuffing just because :effort: dicing has always worked.

How'd you like them? Hope it was a nice change from standard porkchop. As for the leftovers Chicaroones is always delicious and like you said make pork stock for uh...chashu ramen, idk.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Looks good. Is that a cedar plank? Is there *any* nuance of the cedar in the fish after cooking (scent wise)?

I've done this with planks and the fish can pick it up pretty easily and can almost be overpowering at times. Costco was selling the planks and it had a recipe for one of my favorite salmon seasonings.

Coastal Cuisine Dry Rub
2 Tbls kosher salt
2 Tbls brown suger
1 Tbls black pepper
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls dried basil
1 Tbls dried tarragon ( optional )

Edit:
This was one of the other seasonings they listed. Never tried it.

Rockin’ Dry Rub
Ribs, chicken, steak

⅓ cup paprika
2 Tbls chili powder
1 Tbls dried oregano
1 Tbls garlic poweder
2 Tbls celery salt
2 Tbls black pepper
2 teaspoons mustard seeds

This was the recipe
Rockn’ dry rub ribs
Presoak planks for 2 hours. May need 2.
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 rack baby back pork ribs
6 tablespoons of rockn’ dry rub

Mix vinigar, water and two tablespoons dry rub in glass bowl.
Baste the ribs with vinegar micture and place on plank, bone side down. Set on preheated gril and close lid.
Baste and flip ribs every 20 min. Grill for 1 ½ hours or until ribs are brown and meat pulls off.
Remove plank from grill. Baste ribs with remaining sauce & sprinkle Rockin’ dry rub. Cut racks and server.

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 29, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I'm jelly of some of your guys' photography skills. Everything looks so nice and professional. The lighting in this house sucks.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Did some Al pastor tacos, cojita, red onion, salsa verde, cilantro with some Mexican rice.

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I made chili lime cilantro butter because corn is about to be everywhere in the grocery. Also because my wife buys cilantro every drat time she goes shopping and I don't know what to do with the surplus.

sterster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 14, 2020