Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

rudatron posted:

unironically speaking though Khrushchev was the only good premier

Gorbachev at least tried. you can't say that for Brezhnev.

Khrushchev was OK but in retrospect staking his premiership on a massive effort to grow wheat on the steppe was a real fuckin' bado idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeltsin would have been fun to drink with imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

If Gorbachev had shown up at the Moscow Pizza Hut there wouldn't be any debate, they would've just lynched him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

If Gorbachev had shown up at the Moscow Pizza Hut there wouldn't be any debate, they would've just lynched him.

pizza blyat

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Baudolino posted:

Failed to arrange for his son to succeed him as general secretary.

in all srs though his son was somewhere between complete drunken moron who is drunk literally 100% of the time and uday hussein if he becomes leader he either gets couped or the ussr falls in like 1960

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Khruschev set the stage for the USSR to turn into a gerontocracy. :ussr:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Typo posted:

in all srs though his son was somewhere between complete drunken moron who is drunk literally 100% of the time and uday hussein if he becomes leader he either gets couped or the ussr falls in like 1960

Yeltsin is a mess

Gorbachev is a waste

Both are big fat mistakes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yB1L3YUjdaM

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ah yeah here we go

enraged_camel posted:

Between your bizarre belief that a probation is not a punishment, your weird insistence that it is better and more effective to talk to would-be terrorists in private to tell them to post their terrorist stuff elsewhere, and douchey posts like the one I quoted above, it's frankly unbelievable that you are a moderator.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Squizzle did a racism. He did an imperialism. He did a nationalism. He did a xenophobia. He did a white fragility. He did no growth. This makes it abundantly clear Squizzle does not understand the intersectional nature of the multiplicity of his offenses

Sic semper tyrannis

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think you'll find that he created an "ev"ocracy

Seriously I can't be the only one weirded out by Slavic last names

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

get a load of this guy thinking reactionaries are people

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He died. He shouldn't have done that, big mistake low energy

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
stalin had lovely taste in food, and also in music

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

failed to liquidate all of the kulaks

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnwasHk94Os

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dreddout posted:

I think you'll find that he created an "ev"ocracy

Seriously I can't be the only one weirded out by Slavic last names

counterpoint: Andropov

also konstantin chernenko but he was bedridden and more senile then late-presidency Reagan for the 13 months he was premier

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

that was Brezhnev, or more accurately the people who picked Breznhev, him and the subsequent 2 successors were consensus picks chosen by an increasingly conservative bureaucracy whose complacency was enabled by high price of oil in the 1970s. Khruschev was forced out and spent his retirement in his dacha under constant kgb surveillance

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He did a poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hosed up if true

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

wounded in combat: 3,561
killed in combat: 1,258
purges: 452,145
captured/mia: 2,581
someone who is good at marxism-leninism please help me budget this. my revolution is dying

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

someone who is good at marxism-leninism please help me budget this. my revolution is dying

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Trotsky: "Stop funding purges"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dreddout posted:

Trotsky: "Stop funding purges"

no

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

purged. purged. none of you are free from revisionism

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
stalin wasn't "shocked" or "unprepared" for the nazi attack, the soviets were begging england, france, and poland to unite in an anti-nazi two front war for six years and were prepared to dedicate massive resources to do so, but were shot down by the western representatives. the molotov-ribbentrop non-aggression pact was simply a way to buy time and short-term security while they figured out how to deal with the looming threat without the help of the rest of europe. it was definitely a lot more practical and aware than the munich agreement, which the soviets weren't party to and viewed as the western powers selling out a country to the nazis & put into perspective how much they could count on them. soviet actions in finland, the baltic states, and poland make sense as defensive measures against germany.

just another way in which stalin did nothing wrong

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

quote:

Mentally count up all the nazis, sexists, war criminals, think tankers, entrepreneurs, etc. and you'll be astonished at Stalin's restraint.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1mpper posted:

stalin wasn't "shocked" or "unprepared" for the nazi attack, the soviets were begging england, france, and poland to unite in an anti-nazi two front war for six years and were prepared to dedicate massive resources to do so, but were shot down by the western representatives. the molotov-ribbentrop non-aggression pact was simply a way to buy time and short-term security while they figured out how to deal with the looming threat without the help of the rest of europe. it was definitely a lot more practical and aware than the munich agreement, which the soviets weren't party to and viewed as the western powers selling out a country to the nazis & put into perspective how much they could count on them. soviet actions in finland, the baltic states, and poland make sense as defensive measures against germany.

just another way in which stalin did nothing wrong

which is why the Soviet Union took literally a million casualties in the first couple of weeks after Operation Barbarossa started, because they weren't shocked or unprepared

yeah okay :allears:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

which is why the Soviet Union took literally a million casualties in the first couple of weeks after Operation Barbarossa started, because they weren't shocked or unprepared

Stalin didn't think the Red Army would be prepared to fight the Nazis for another couple years in 1940.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Stalin didn't think the Red Army would be prepared to fight the Nazis for another couple years in 1940.

your sayin he wasbt garbage, he just inhwrited a garbage red army and/or nation?? interesting

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Neither Stalin nor anyone else expected France to fall as fast as it did. Considering how ww1 went, the assumption was that Russia would have more time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rudatron posted:

Neither Stalin nor anyone else expected France to fall as fast as it did. Considering how ww1 went, the assumption was that Russia would have more time.

spunds like something he got wrong for sure then

heck of a deadly boner to pull!!!!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Homeless Friend posted:

He never posted in C-SPAM

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
stalin also failed to collect the final chaos emerald which trump succeeded in

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

man, anti-soviets want it both ways: either stalin is bad because he focused on rapid industrialization and militarization to the detriment of other productive/agricultural development; or he's bad because he didn't industrialize or militarize enough to prevent mass causalities in ww2. imo he cut as best of a compromise as he could knowing what he did while making tougher decisions than almost anyone else in history. with four million nazi soldiers bearing down on you, i'm not sure what amount of "preparation" that he wasn't already doing would do to avoid a lot of people dying.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Stalin was s pretty poo poo leader and a big reason for the current fear of left wing politics imo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

1mpper posted:

man, anti-soviets want it both ways: either stalin is bad because he focused on rapid industrialization and militarization to the detriment of other productive/agricultural development; or he's bad because he didn't industrialize or militarize enough to prevent mass causalities in ww2. imo he cut as best of a compromise as he could knowing what he did while making tougher decisions than almost anyone else in history. with four million nazi soldiers bearing down on you, i'm not sure what amount of "preparation" that he wasn't already doing would do to avoid a lot of people dying.

i know this is literally puppetmadfdr defense but idgaf about stalin bwing right or wrong in what is a complex tapestry of hiatory i just think internet tankies are some of the most cinsistently funny people on the cspam

if its any value to you i do enjoy both the laffs generated fromweird emotional investment in stalins reputation on the one hand, and the informarive lil explorations of his era and political/geopolitical context

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i do care about him being a reborn creature of metal and devilforce tho, totally coppin to that

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

1mpper posted:

maybe he should of tried not killing 90% of the officer corps for no reason, but mental illness is tough and i guess you do what u have 2 to cope

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also Stalin can gasp have performed acceptably against the Nazi behemoth and still have been terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

stalin totally saw operation barbarossa coming, which is why he sold millions of barrels of oil to the nazis and waited until literally 2 hours before the germans crossed the border with the largest army ever assembled to let his army know that something might be up

• Locked thread