Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Wikipedia posted:

The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra is a computer game in The Learning Company's ClueFinders series where the ClueFinders save the Numerian rainforest and Dr. Horace Pythagoras from a mysterious monster called Mathra.

After the eternity that was our X series Let's Play, we decided to take a break and do something short and casual before tackling Pikmin, so we had Brady take us through another one of his childhood games. This is in many ways a follow up to the last game he LP'd with us, Scooby Doo, our commentary for this one is fairly relaxed and casual, not focused and information driven. If anyone is really interested in the story of this game I'll be posting uploads without commentary soonish, we try to shut up during cutscenes but there is a bit that we do talk over.

With that out of the way, strap in and prepare your brainmeats for learning, kids!

--EPISODES--
01 - The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull of Edutainment | No Commentary Version
02 - The Tablets of Ruin | No Commentary Version
03 - Gooing down to Liverpuddle | No Commentary Version
04 - Adorable Birds | No Commentary Version
05 - Second Verse, Same as the First | No Commentary Version
06 - One Month Later... | No Commentary Version

Brundizzle posted:

You can't catch me that easily children!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Here's a full walkthrough so you can hear the american voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7T500fcOB8

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Still not as diverse as Extreme Ghostbusters.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I swear to God, I remember these kids had American accents.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cluefinders or Jumpstart

Which do you feel had more replayability? Not that edutainment games of this kind have that. Also how did you wind up with what appears to be the UK version of this game?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

They did. It probably depends on whether you have the UK or American version. Kinda surprised that there is a UK version of Clue Finders.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

They did. It probably depends on whether you have the UK or American version. Kinda surprised that there is a UK version of Clue Finders.

We just assumed it was developed by a UK company and published by TLC, had no idea there was a PAL version until just now. Brady claims this is the version he played as a kid so who knows. I'll have the no commentary version up tomorrow for more rare British goodness

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I took one look at the game cover and I immediately started remembering a game I played years ago that had those characters; not this game though, I remember having to deal with plant people.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

bman in 2288 posted:

Yeah holy poo poo one and a half minutes into this video and that's not the claptrap I remember

Edit: yeah, preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety sure Owen had a surfer dude voice

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 16, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Judging by the graphics, this was clearly a port of a CDi game.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
The no commentary version of Episode 1 is up Future updates will have both at the same time.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm already feeling smarter from this Let's Play. You've done us quite a service.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I took one look at the game cover and I immediately started remembering a game I played years ago that had those characters; not this game, though, I remember having to deal with plant people.

I believe that's the 6th-grade adventure you're talking about. That game's art was a lot better than what we're watching now, and it's one of the few times where Owen and Leslie take center stage in one of these games.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I loved this series when I was a kid. I do remember everyone having American accents, but I'm pretty sure the publishers spent way too much money on localization.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
:siren:Update Time:siren:

Suddenly the pacing hits a brick wall, these capstone puzzles are too intense.

No commentary version will be up as soon as Youtube stops canceling the upload after three seconds.

--EPISODES--
02 - The Tablets of Ruin | No Commentary Version

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 18, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Seriously these british voices are loving with me. When you guys finish, I'll find a video of the cutscenes with the original american voices and post it here to restore balance to the universe

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I believe that's the 6th-grade adventure you're talking about. That game's art was a lot better than what we're watching now, and it's one of the few times where Owen and Leslie take center stage in one of these games.

Was that the one where aliens were like abducting people by these weird holes? Cause that one got weird.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

Was that the one where aliens were like abducting people by these weird holes? Cause that one got weird.

no that was 5th grade

IIRC 3rd grade had Joni and Santiago as the main ones, 4th had all four together, 5th also had Joni and Santiago until the games final act where it switches to the other two and I never played Math nor Reading (I didn't even know until just looking it up that math was released before 5th and 6th grades)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I've actually played the Math and Reading adventures. Joni and Santiago are our protagonists in Math, while Owen joins Santiago in the Reading game.

Truth be told I preferred the Reading game over the Math game; compared to most of the games, Math got very repetitive and made winning the game like a chore. Funny thing about the Math game, there's two different versions of it that were released. The two key differences between them were the touching up of sprites in the game and omitting a plot element involving Laptrap being imbued with ancient wisdom on accident.

There were two other games, released later, but I had stopped caring about the Cluefinders at that point.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I like how, in this educational game, Ape-ril has more days than April.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Unreal_One posted:

I like how, in this educational game, Ape-ril has more days than April.

That's because they use the Gregorillian calendar

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Stop monkeying around, you guys are driving me bananas!

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
These puns are driving me ape the wall

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Emissary666 posted:

I loved this series when I was a kid. I do remember everyone having American accents, but I'm pretty sure the publishers spent way too much money on localization.

I think the british version's a localization, not the other way around (the american voices are more cheesy and less bored sounding)

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think the british version's a localization, not the other way around (the american voices are more cheesy and less bored sounding)

In my defense, I never said which side of the ocean they were localizing to. Also, while the American voices were more cheesy, I would hesitate to say less bored.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well one thing to take into account is the fact that The Learning Company is an American company, sort of like MECC and Jumpstart (or Knowledge Adventure?)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Oh man, I remember playing the gently caress out of the one of the math ones when I was younger. I wanna say each puzzle area was where you played as a different kid, but it's been at least 15 years so my memory is a bit fuzzy. It was set in Tibet or something like that, and one of the puzzles was building pens for the yaks.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Miz Kriss posted:

Oh man, I remember playing the gently caress out of the one of the math ones when I was younger. I wanna say each puzzle area was where you played as a different kid, but it's been at least 15 years so my memory is a bit fuzzy. It was set in Tibet or something like that, and one of the puzzles was building pens for the yaks.

Oh, geez, that was so long ago. I almost feel nostalgic about it.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

I hate Brady for this episode title

--EPISODES--
03 - Gooing down to Liverpuddle | No Commentary Version

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 22, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I remember when I first heard Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite, I was wondering why it sounded familiar and then I remembered this game

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm going to try to put dickular in my everyday vocabulary now.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Zain posted:

I'm going to try to put dickular in my everyday vocabulary now.

I'm glad we could help enrich your vocabulary, and by extension, the quality of life of those around you

Man was not meant to behold such raw beauty

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I'm kinda curious to know how these Beatle flowers sound in the US version now.

And yeah, they definitely match up with the real life Beatles in the latter half of their career; the blue haired one is John Lennon, the little long-nosed one is Ringo Starr, the purple is Paul McCartney, and the bulbous orange one is George Harrison.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Dresh posted:

And yeah, they definitely match up with the real life Beatles in the latter half of their career; the blue haired one is John Lennon, the little long-nosed one is Ringo Starr, the purple is Paul McCartney, and the bulbous orange one is George Harrison.

The Beatle flowers are one of the few things that sound how I remember.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Hearing the Beatle Flowers reminded me so much of the Yellow Submarine cartoon I used to watch all the time when I was young.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Miz Kriss posted:

Hearing the Beatle Flowers reminded me so much of the Yellow Submarine cartoon I used to watch all the time when I was young.

Dresh posted:

I also watched Yellow Submarine all the time as a kid, and I played all of these dumb games, but don't remember music videos in my :911: version. But then again, I don't remember many of the horrors in this thing.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I remember the music videos (after seeing them again after nearly 2 decades). They were in the American version as well. And just to clarify, the monkey song was in American English, while the flowers retained the British accents.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I played the Jumpstart games when I was a kid, so this stuff is all new to me.

It took me a while to figure out what the animation reminded me of, but then I finally realized it was just like "The Best Hercules Movie Ever" as it's known on youtube. It has really similar weird as heck faces, especially when zoomed in on them.

Edit: Also, "Liverpuddle" might be a double pun, because people from Liverpool are called "Liverpudlians"

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 23, 2017

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

With the horrors of the dickular region behind us, it's time we make our way to the sacred lost city of Atvatabar

--EPISODES--
04 - Adorable Birds | No Commentary Version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Love how everyone seemed to lost their mind with the smol birbs.

• Locked thread