Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
This thread has emphasized the important point of not viewing Islam, or Sunni Islam, or any of the subdivisions thereof as a unified front. So I'd like to ask a question: what about Pakistan? The discourse around Saudi Arabia and Najdi Wahhabism is well-trodden, and often the discussion is pulled back there; but talk about Pakistan is not nearly as common, and more often consists of vague insinuations about ISI than the more concrete talking-points about KSA.

I have to admit that I don't know much about Pakistan, despite it being an evidently crucial actor. I get the general dynamics, but there doesn't seem to be much deeper analysis (at least in English media). For example, which groups Pakistan supports and which ones it opposes; strategic and ideological differences with KSA; the fight against terrorism within Pakistan itself; relations in general with the US; how China's own burgeoning Islamic unrest influences that alliance; what Pakistan's desired endgame is (one post in this thread implies that it is waiting for the US to tire of its imperialistic meddling, but what comes after that?), and so on.

It kind of seems like this angle is getting completely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Squalid posted:

So what say you? If the Taliban were willing to agree to a peace deal on relatively lax terms, oh say the government had to give vice presidency to Mawlawi Haibatullah Akhundzada, put Taliban fighters on the army payroll and institute a few mild Islamist reforms of the government, would it be worth it?

How much would you bet against the Taliban just using this to seize control of the government and/or plunging the country back into civil war 5 years down the track?

Of course there is a reasonable chance this would happen if we stay the course or withdraw anyway so I'm not necessarily arguing against a settlement.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

How much would you bet against the Taliban just using this to seize control of the government and/or plunging the country back into civil war 5 years down the track?

Of course there is a reasonable chance this would happen if we stay the course or withdraw anyway so I'm not necessarily arguing against a settlement.

High. It wasn't a real suggestion anyway, right now the Taliban have no interest in a settlement.

A couple articles I've read recently on Afghanistan:

"Scathing Report Details Bleak Outlook on Afghanistan posted:

In a new quarterly report to Congress released Wednesday, the Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction (SIGAR) office, John Sopko, outlined a stark backslide in progress in Afghanistan — a country the United States has sunk over $117 billion in since 2002.
. . .
Among the most damning aspects of the SIGAR report:

The Afghan government had 57.2 percent of the country under its control by the end of 2016 — a 6.3 percent decrease from 2015. That doesn’t bode well, given the number of Afghan security forces is decreasing while its casualties are increasing.

583,000 people fled their homes due to conflict in 2016. SIGAR added that that is “the highest number of displacements since record keeping started in 2008.”

Some 23 percent of the 8,397 conflict-related casualties in Afghanistan were attributed to Afghan security forces and the U.S.-led coalition.

Afghan opium production rose 43 percent from 2015 levels. Afghan opium bankrolls the Taliban and other insurgent groups. And it’s the country’s largest export; 90 percent of the world’s opium came from Afghanistan in 2014 alone.

The following article is written by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a California Republican, chairs the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, and Emerging Threats. It is terrifying that people like her might be setting US policy in Afghanistan now

"How to Win in Afghanistan posted:

Our incompetent efforts at Afghan nation building rest on three shaky pillars that need to be rethought:

• Highly centralized political decisionmaking.

• Pashtun control of the overly powerful central government, the national police and the Afghan National Army.

• Excessive deference to Pakistan’s interests and policies in Afghanistan and the region.
. . .
The political system we instituted is designed to enable Kabul to control the country, but it is hopelessly counterproductive. It makes Afghanistan uncontrollable and undermines our natural allies inside Afghanistan—those who are fighting radical Islam, namely the Tajik, the Uzbek, and the Hazara communities who represent the majority of Afghanistan’s multi-ethnic population. But we persist in weakening them and kowtowing to the Pashtuns—the group from which the overwhelming majority of Islamic radicals emerge.
. . .

Absurdly, the current rules of engagement prevent victory. Lawyers seem to be in charge, not battlefield commanders. This over-legalization of warfare is well-intended, presumably to minimize death and injury to noncombatants. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a “nice” war, especially in that part of the world. We should get over the notion that we can win wars without killing anyone unintentionally. Also, we should constantly remind ourselves of Teddy Roosevelt’s admonition: “Never hit someone softly.”

Afghans like Vice President Dostum[Ed. Note: This guy is currently a fugitive after sexually assaulting a provincial governor], who are willing to risk their lives to defend their communities and families against radical extremists, should not be vilified as part of a narrative that suggests that minority communities in Northern Afghanistan can be deliberately targeted and killed by Islamic extremists. At the same time, Americans cannot target Taliban units in Pashtun areas if a civilian might be unintentionally harmed. This double standard cannot stand.

This person for some insane reason thinks its a good idea to empower warlords and ethnic militias. These are the people who are running America now.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Squalid posted:

The following article is written by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a California Republican, chairs the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, and Emerging Threats. It is terrifying that people like her might be setting US policy in Afghanistan now

This person for some insane reason thinks its a good idea to empower warlords and ethnic militias. These are the people who are running America now.

Well she's right that the overly centralized nature of the government we installed was a part of the ever increasing hostility to it. There's pretty much no real local representation or control, which isn't always a requirement to have a fair and functioning government, but in a heavily fractured ethnic map like Afghanistan it becomes just one more thing to be pissed off about.
But it's not the main issue things are going to poo poo.

Idiot woman posted:

At the same time, Americans cannot target Taliban units in Pashtun areas if a civilian might be unintentionally harmed.
But this is just blatant bullshit. The idea that we're super protective of Pashtun civilians is pretty much the opposite of the truth.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Schizotek posted:

Well she's right that the overly centralized nature of the government we installed was a part of the ever increasing hostility to it. There's pretty much no real local representation or control, which isn't always a requirement to have a fair and functioning government, but in a heavily fractured ethnic map like Afghanistan it becomes just one more thing to be pissed off about.
But it's not the main issue things are going to poo poo.

That makes sense to me, however what frightens me is what she seems to imply is the solution: devolve power to warlords with power derived from their clan and ethnic community, and cut the Pashtuns out of the central government. It's a recipe for disaster and likely to induce the kind of government collapse Iraq saw during the rise of ISIS.

quote:

But this is just blatant bullshit. The idea that we're super protective of Pashtun civilians is pretty much the opposite of the truth.

It's a refrain I've heard from several conservative writers recently: to win in Afghanistan we have to take the gloves off, if that means killing more children and innocents so be it.

"Sangin, Bloody Sangin, and Wretched Afghanistan posted:

I suppose I have as much time on patrols as any American, and I loathed what I saw in Sangin, because what we gained could not be sustained. Our top generals were preaching a counterinsurgency (COIN) strategy based on winning hearts and minds. “The conflict will be won,” General Stanley McChrystal, the top commander, wrote, “by persuading the population, not by destroying the enemy.” Yet by a two-to-one ratio, the Marines in the platoon rated the Taliban better fighters than the Afghan soldiers, and not one Marine believed the villagers supported the government. (See my book One Million Steps, page 244.) Every battalion commander who served there knew that the Afghan soldiers would give up what we paid so dearly to gain. Yet the top Marine general in Helmand wrote me that I did not understand operations or strategy. We had a difference of opinion long before Sangin fell.
. . .
I personally advocate more-rigorous bombing, with rules of engagement left to those in the fight, not thousands of miles away. In sum, Afghanistan can be continued indefinitely as an economy of force operation, as it is today, to prevent terrorist sanctuary. More grandiose political goals will remain elusive. Some problems can only be managed.

Given Trump's statements he probably agrees.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

steinrokkan posted:

Probably, but as far as I know the Taliban of today isn't even close to being the united party that ruled the country, so the question is, would "Taliban" splinter if that happened, and would other claimants to power pop up from its remains? Otherwise a less brutal Islamic government with a better human rights record than the original Taliban is probably the best hope for peace.

I'm rather irritated Gulbuddin Hekmatyar isn't loving out of the game yet, he was a big contributor to the flimsy post-Soviet coalition descending into a total shitshow and is in general an rear end in a top hat.

On the plus side he's not actively at war with the government this month.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm rather irritated Gulbuddin Hekmatyar isn't loving out of the game yet, he was a big contributor to the flimsy post-Soviet coalition descending into a total shitshow and is in general an rear end in a top hat.

On the plus side he's not actively at war with the government this month.

Supposedly he's planning on returning to Kabul in the near future, now the UN sanctions have been lifted?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/lifts-sanctions-gulbuddin-hekmatyar-170204125508334.html

quote:

The United Nations has lifted sanctions against Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the leader of the Hezb-i-Islami group in Afghanistan and one of the most infamous figures in the country's civil war in the 1990s.

The decision by the UN Security Council late on Friday follows a peace deal signed by the Afghan government and Hekmatyar's largely dormant group in September.

The accord gave Hekmatyar amnesty for past offences and granted him full political rights. It also allowed for the release of certain Hezb-i-Islami prisoners.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Its cool that some guy from a House Subcommittee has finally cracked the puzzle of how to win a forever war in the graveyard of empires

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Everything discussed here is meaningless if Flynn and co can get their war with Iran. Even if it's (initially) just limited to surgical bombing of Nuclear and missile facilities, I can't see any way that the whole Middle East is going to avoid exploding. Iranian allied and supported groups are all over Lebanon, Syria and Iraq, and especially in Iraq there is nothing really between them and US forces. And of course, I expect that in the event of a war that the Iranians could quite reasonably expect is aimed at complete regime change and perhaps Nation State dismantlement a-la Iraq or Libya, I can see them quite reasonably making a deal with the Taliban and arming and supporting them against America, Sunni/Shia differences notwithstanding. (Plus, there are plenty of Afghan Shias that Iran is already sending to Syria, quite easy to arm them and send them the other way).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mediadave posted:

I can see them quite reasonably making a deal with the Taliban and arming and supporting them against America

Iran is already arming and training the Taliban, and have been for at least a few years.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-backs-taliban-with-cash-and-arms-1434065528

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

mediadave posted:

Everything discussed here is meaningless if Flynn and co can get their war with Iran. Even if it's (initially) just limited to surgical bombing of Nuclear and missile facilities, I can't see any way that the whole Middle East is going to avoid exploding. Iranian allied and supported groups are all over Lebanon, Syria and Iraq, and especially in Iraq there is nothing really between them and US forces. And of course, I expect that in the event of a war that the Iranians could quite reasonably expect is aimed at complete regime change and perhaps Nation State dismantlement a-la Iraq or Libya, I can see them quite reasonably making a deal with the Taliban and arming and supporting them against America, Sunni/Shia differences notwithstanding. (Plus, there are plenty of Afghan Shias that Iran is already sending to Syria, quite easy to arm them and send them the other way).

Another factor here is that we're seemingly overdue for another conflict between Israel and Hezbollah. Since 2006 Hezbollah has only gotten stronger and the Syrian conflict has given them access to a lot of new weapons system and has has given them a lot of operational experience. I have to imagine that with Trump in office there's going to be immense temptation among some elements of the Israeli government to try and do what they failed to do in 2006 and defeat Hezbollah in a shooting war. That, combined with the possibility of a war between the United States and Iran, means that the Middle East is looking like even more of a powder keg than usual right now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The entire notion of building highly centralized governments in afghanistan, iraq, and syria is flatly ridiculous due to the obsession with building big national armies to do the west's bidding instead of working with the level of institutions that are available.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So is the idea you could construct a government in Afghanistan right now that wouldn't de facto amount to empowering some specific warlords over other warlords.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Helsing posted:

So is the idea you could construct a government in Afghanistan right now that wouldn't de facto amount to empowering some specific warlords over other warlords.

I mean it sort of calls into question what exactly western nations are trying to accomplish in Afghanistan if they are to work with people actively and violently defying the authority of the central government.

Panzeh posted:

The entire notion of building highly centralized governments in afghanistan, iraq, and syria is flatly ridiculous due to the obsession with building big national armies to do the west's bidding instead of working with the level of institutions that are available.

I think this is any interesting point but I'm not sure what the alternatives could have been, any ideas? Do you think there's any reforms that could make the Afghan government more viable?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Squalid posted:

I mean it sort of calls into question what exactly western nations are trying to accomplish in Afghanistan if they are to work with people actively and violently defying the authority of the central government.

Uhh, no poo poo?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Helsing posted:

Uhh, no poo poo?

I have a sinking feeling most leaders of the western world would say the same thing. Today we face the terrible realization that there is no plan for Afghanistan. Our leaders are doing their best to pretend none of it exists and if we just wait long enough all the problems will solve themselves. Or more cynically, 'Afghanistan can be continued indefinitely as an economy of force operation, as it is today, to prevent terrorist sanctuary.' Literally nobody believes the Taliban are going to be defeated, and we are wasting billions of dollars while sleep walking into disaster.

This isn't just America's problem either, The EU just pledged another 1.5 billion a year in aid to the Afghan government through 2020, and NATO nations are paying more on top of that. As Taliban influence expands (SIGAR estimates the Taliban gained influence across an additional 15% of Afghanistan last year) refugee flows are going to increase. And even as the Afghan governments need increases aid is falling, the EU pledge $4 billion a year for four years in 2012.

The same is true in other places as well, the EU is reducing its support for the AMISOM mission in Somali which is likely cause the withdrawal of some portion of its force. When Ethiopia withdrew its some of its forces last year Al Shabaab immediately entered the gap and reoccupied the territory, and any draw down in AMISOM is likely to produce the same result. Hopefully the elections this year go well but the Somali government is still in no position to stand by itself.

If these conflicts are fundamentally unwinnable the nations involved should look to end them. If defeat is intolerable why do we ignore that the status quo is unsustainable?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Because it's preferable to fight a forever war against terrists rather than reach a negotiated settlement with terrists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Squalid posted:

The same is true in other places as well, the EU is reducing its support for the AMISOM mission in Somali which is likely cause the withdrawal of some portion of its force. When Ethiopia withdrew its some of its forces last year Al Shabaab immediately entered the gap and reoccupied the territory, and any draw down in AMISOM is likely to produce the same result. Hopefully the elections this year go well but the Somali government is still in no position to stand by itself.

If these conflicts are fundamentally unwinnable the nations involved should look to end them. If defeat is intolerable why do we ignore that the status quo is unsustainable?

I knew about afganastan being hosed, but i am sad that Somalia is probably hosed too, it seemed like it was finaly stabalizing at least in the urban areas and had growing business, it wasn't Nigeria or kenya but stuff seemed to finally getting better :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Squalid posted:

I think this is any interesting point but I'm not sure what the alternatives could have been, any ideas? Do you think there's any reforms that could make the Afghan government more viable?

To put it simply, the US can't force the people of Afghanistan to recognize the legitimacy and authority of the central government. That's up to the central government itself. It's also a far greater task than most people assume, given that Afghanistan hasn't had a single recognized central government exercising control over the entire country since 1978. It's not like the US came in, overthrew a central government, and installed a new one - the Taliban, rather than being "the central government", was just the dominant faction at the time and controlled only about two-thirds of the country, having seized Kabul just a few years before 9/11. We couldn't just plop in a central government to rule the country, we needed a central government capable of unifying the country - and we couldn't just do that by supplying guns and money to our preferred faction, because Pakistan, Iran, and Saudi Arabia were all doing that too.

It's not just that there was "no plan". It's that in 2001, the country still hadn't even stabilized after the last time a foreign power overthrew the government and installed a new one of their own choosing. It's hardly a surprise that our attempt to overthrow the strongest faction and install a new one of our own choosing failed to put an end to the decades of civil war stemming from the last time someone did that - particularly when every other significant power in the region had spent the previous decade trying to do the same thing and didn't stop when we got involved. Saying that there was "no plan" implies that there could have been a good plan that would have made the situation work, and I'm not sure that's true.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

No-bid contracts for $400/gallon gas etc. is the main thing at this point.

And at every point after bin Laden's totally unforeseeable and unstoppable escape from Tora Bora.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I knew about afganastan being hosed, but i am sad that Somalia is probably hosed too, it seemed like it was finaly stabalizing at least in the urban areas and had growing business, it wasn't Nigeria or kenya but stuff seemed to finally getting better :(

Well it is going to have elections hopefully this month, mind you they aren't like ours, some 300 or so clan leaders are going to select several thousand electors which will then vote for Parliament. State institutions are still virtually nonexistent. Al Shabaab was pushed out of urban areas however they remain powerful in rural areas and continue to bloody the noses of those who fight against them. See this incident from last month:

"Witnesses say dozens killed in al-Shabaab attack on Kenyan troops posted:

Captain Nur Muhidin, a Somali national army officer stationed in Kulbiyow, said the troops spotted the al-Shabaab convoy before the attack and shelled it with mortars.

Muhidin described an intense firefight that continued for close to an hour before the militants secured the complex. He said the base had been manned by at least 120 Kenyan soldiers deployed with the African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom) and dozenshad been killed in the attack. Local forces were also among the casualties.

“We are yet to confirm the number of the Kenya and Somali soldiers lost in this attack. But I can say this was a disaster,” he said.
Xusen Dhere, a witness in Kulbiyow town, estimated the death toll at 40 soldiers. He said militant fighters had loaded ammunition and military equipment into lorries to drive away and had torched several trucks.

I think modern Somalia might be very close to what Panzeh envisions when he describes working with the levels of institutions available to create a Federalized or Confederate state, and it remains somewhat successful. A major pillar of stability for the current government is what amounts to massive bribes to the Warlord-Entrepreneur class to keep them working within the system. They still sometimes fight wars with each other, Puntland and Galmudug in particular have frequent violent clashes which can displace tens of thousands.

Remember the occupation of Somali is over ten years old now, and while Al Shabaab won't challenge AMISOM for urban areas most Somalis remain rural. . It's hard to tell how much of the state is self sustaining vs how much would fall apart instantly if foreign money and troops disappeared. US combat "advisors" authorized to call in "self-defense" strikes during patrols seem to be playing an increasingly important role in Somalia, with American activity in the conflict coming to resemble advise and assist tactics in places like Iraq.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Squalid posted:

I have a sinking feeling most leaders of the western world would say the same thing. Today we face the terrible realization that there is no plan for Afghanistan. Our leaders are doing their best to pretend none of it exists and if we just wait long enough all the problems will solve themselves. Or more cynically, 'Afghanistan can be continued indefinitely as an economy of force operation, as it is today, to prevent terrorist sanctuary.' Literally nobody believes the Taliban are going to be defeated, and we are wasting billions of dollars while sleep walking into disaster.

This isn't just America's problem either, The EU just pledged another 1.5 billion a year in aid to the Afghan government through 2020, and NATO nations are paying more on top of that. As Taliban influence expands (SIGAR estimates the Taliban gained influence across an additional 15% of Afghanistan last year) refugee flows are going to increase. And even as the Afghan governments need increases aid is falling, the EU pledge $4 billion a year for four years in 2012.

These ongoing conflicts are reminiscent of the American war on drugs. Regardless of what motivated them at the beginning they are no longer about achieving "victory" in any concrete sense. Having an open ended international military commitments serves a lot of political and economic interests. War is a racket.

Besides, it's a mistake to think most conflicts have concrete victories or defeats in any final sense. American military experience is so steeped in the experiences of the World Wars and the Civil War, where you have uniformed armies fighting set-piece battles, trading territory and eventually reaching a final settlement after a few years of near total warfare. Most conflicts throughout history sprawl over decades or centuries, vary year to year in intensity, and are largely conducted as massacre and counter massacre of civilian populations with only the occasional outright battle between anything approximating equal forces. It shouldn't be a surprise that when the US or other great powers wade into these conflict zones the result is a muddled and incoherent policy with no clear exit strategy and often no clearly defined goal. Westerners tend to have a very selective and narrow conception of war and this leads to very unrealistic expectations about what can be achieved with military force. Of course our leaders benefit from these unrealistic expectations so they are happy to encourage us to think this way even when they should know better themselves.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So Somali held their election and have a new President :toot:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/08/somali-presidential-election-won-mohamed-abdullahi-mohamed

quote:

The election of Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, a 55-year-old former prime minister and dual US-Somali national with a reputation for independence and competence, has raised the hopes of millions of people in the poor and violent east African state.
. . .
His win capped a controversial, protracted and sometimes chaotic process.

The selection of a new president began months ago, with 14,000 elders and prominent regional figures choosing 275 MPs and 54 senators. These then decided whether to back Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, elected in 2012, for a second term, or pick one of 21 rivals.

Mohamed, the winner on Wednesday, bolstered his credentials as a Somali nationalist during the campaign with criticism of neighbouring countries’ alleged attempts to influence the election and a promise to combat Islamic militants.

His solid record during his brief tenure as prime minister between 2010 and 2011 reinforced an image of a relatively progressive technocrat. After resigning the post, Mohamed moved to Buffalo in upstate New York, where he worked as a state transportation department official and where his family still live.

The election was unfortunately marred by a few. . . irregularities.

"Fueled by Bribes, Somali Election Seen as Milestone of Corruption posted:

Somali investigators estimate that at least $20 million has feverishly changed hands during parliamentary elections that will culminate in the selection of the president on Wednesday.

Outside forces like Turkey, Sudan, The United Arab Emirates and Qatar are widely believed to have been buying off presidential candidates to land juicy business deals, spread a harsh version of Islam or spy on American forces.

The entire process has been so bad, several analysts said, that the Shabab militant group, one of the deadliest Islamist organizations in the world, isn't even trying to derail the vote because the corruption free-for-all almost makes the militants look upstanding by comparison.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Russia has allegedly begun supporting the Taliban.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/13/515020244/why-is-russia-helping-anti-u-s-insurgents-in-afghanistan

N.P.R. posted:

Russia is supporting anti-U.S. insurgents in Afghanistan — and through them, terrorists, top U.S. national security leaders say.

What isn't clear is why.

The top American commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, stopped short of detailing everything the U.S. knows about the Russian return to Afghanistan in an appearance before a Senate panel last week. But he did confirm some lawmakers' accounts of what U.S. intelligence has established about the relationship.

"Your logic is absolutely sound, sir," Nicholson said.

Terrorist groups use the Afghan Taliban insurgency as a "medium" in which to operate, Nicholson said, as al-Qaida did before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S.

The disclosures about Russia's operations in Afghanistan, which Nicholson said are increasing after they resumed last year, could complicate any effort by President Trump to work more closely with Moscow on fighting terrorism.

Trump has said he wants Washington and Moscow to do more against the Islamic State in Syria – a goal that already was problematic because Moscow mostly has not been targeting ISIS there. Still, Trump ordered his national security team to present him with a new plan to defeat ISIS, one that could include options for closer cooperation with Moscow, as soon as next week.

The revelation that Russia is covertly supporting U.S. enemies in Afghanistan makes the political case for increasing a counterterrorism partnership that much trickier. And it further expands the global chessboard on which Moscow is playing against the West.

Russian President Vladimir Putin could be serious about expanding Russian influence in Asia Minor. He could be hedging against the potential wavering of current international support for Afghanistan. Or he could be making mischief simply to win concessions elsewhere by Europe or the United States.

There's some evidence that he may be prepared to turn up the heat: The German newspaper Die Zeit reported that Russia is recruiting mercenaries to fight abroad. Russian memories about sending regular troops to Afghanistan might still be too raw after the Soviet Union's disastrous 1980 invasion, as the German paper wrote. So sending mercenaries could enable Putin to put de facto forces on the ground there with a lower public profile.

Or, it may not come to that. Nicholson told Georgia Sen. David Perdue, a Republican, that he believes Putin only views the insurgent groups as a convenient means to irritate the West.

"I think it's to undermine the United States and NATO," Nicholson said.

Moscow isn't only supplying Taliban fighters covertly. It is also talking openly in the region about how the Kabul government, supported by the U.S., doesn't want to fight the Islamic State – but the Taliban does.

That is not true, Nicholson said – the Afghan army and the U.S. are fighting ISIS in Afghanistan, and have reduced its footprint with raids and airstrikes. Also, the ISIS of Afghanistan has little to do with the core group led from Syria, he said. It's mostly made up of Pakistani and Uzbek extremists who "rebranded" themselves.

The upshot of it all, however, is that Russia and the United States have effectively switched roles in Afghanistan: In the 1980s, American CIA officers supplied weapons to anti-government rebels who were fighting the then-Soviet backed government and the Soviet troops supporting it. Today, 15 years after the American invasion, Russia has begun helping the Taliban against a weak American-backed government still supported by NATO troops and airpower.

The war is in "stalemate," Nicholson told the Senate panel, and he needs thousands more troops to help train the Afghan military to continue to improve as a fighting force. The Afghan air force also needs more aircraft, training and funding, he said, before it can give Kabul a decisive edge over insurgents.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There have been rumblings about this for a little while now, Russia even held a peace summit including the governments of Iran, Pakistan and representatives of the Taliban, but not the United States. I haven't seen any evidence of direct covert financial or material support, but Russia has begun pushing a diplomatic line sure to irritate the US.

Russian state media has started making some interesting arguments. That the real enemy in Afghanistan is ISIS, and that it is the Taliban rather than the Afghan government that is doing the most to fight them. It is all rather nonsensical in my opinion but combined with Russian diplomatic efforts in Libya I think Russia is clearly making a concerted push to gain diplomatic leverage against the US on the cheap.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
This war will never end lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Islamic state blew up dozens of people in a Sufi shrine in Pakistan, and army has claimed to have killed a hundred people in response.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39003673

quote:

Soon after the bombing, army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa vowed that "each drop of [the] nation's blood shall be avenged, and avenged immediately".
There would be "no more restraint for anyone", he said.

The object of his remark was clear an hour later when the military announced that Pakistan had closed its border with Afghanistan to all traffic, including pedestrians.

On Friday morning, Afghan embassy officials were summoned to the army's headquarters in Rawalpindi. They were handed a list of 76 "terrorists" said to be hiding in their country, with the demand that they be arrested and handed over to Pakistan, the military says.

The fiery reaction came after a series of deadly militant attacks in five days from Sunday killed more than 100 people across Pakistan, including civilians, the police and soldiers.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Are there any good articles or books about Yemen over the last 16 years or so since the start of the war on terror?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Are there any good articles or books about Yemen over the last 16 years or so since the start of the war on terror?

This article provides a good basic over view of Yemeni history and the origin of the Houthis. It is from 2010 so obviously it misses a whole lot but the first few sections alone have more info than just about any popular media source.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monographs/2010/RAND_MG962.pdf

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Gregory Johnsen wrote a book called The Last Refuge which focuses on the war on terror. It's also one of the best books on Yemen.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's Spring everybody! :toot: Strap in for the next Taliban offensive!

"Taliban Sets Out Spring Offensive Battle Strategy In Afghanistan posted:

Taliban forces in Afghanistan plan to extend their control of provinces in which they already have a heavy presence in the upcoming spring offensive, a spokesman told the German dpa news agency in an interview.

Zabihullah Mujahid on April 3 said the militants will press their advantage during the campaign in the provinces of Helmand and Oruzgan in the south, Farah and Faryab in the west, and Sar-e Pul and Kunduz in the north.

U.S. military officials say the Western-backed government in Kabul controls less than 60 percent of the country.

Mujahid said the Taliban will form provincial commands instead of having units operating across several provinces as part of a new strategy.

He said the Taliban will focus on capturing provincial capitals.

Last month even before the fighting season really started the Afghan government finally lost the long contested Sangin province. The Coalition released this rather ridiculous statement following their withdrawal.

Trump has still not made any statement about his Afghanistan strategy. I'm guessing he'll wait until some disaster. The Generals keep making noise about needing just a few thousand more troops to hold the stalemate. . .

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Squalid posted:

It's Spring everybody! :toot: Strap in for the next Taliban offensive!

Last month even before the fighting season really started the Afghan government finally lost the long contested Sangin province. The Coalition released this rather ridiculous statement following their withdrawal.

Trump has still not made any statement about his Afghanistan strategy. I'm guessing he'll wait until some disaster. The Generals keep making noise about needing just a few thousand more troops to hold the stalemate. . .

Didn't want that province anyway :nallears:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So anybody catch America's heroes return to Somalia?

"U.S. to Send Troops to Somalia Amid Blowback posted:

The United States will send several dozen troops to help train Somali forces in their fight against the al Qaeda-linked militant group al Shabab, Pentagon officials said Friday, the latest move in the tit-for-tat escalation in the troubled East African nation.

On March 30, President Donald Trump agreed to declare Somalia an “Area of Active Hostility,” which grants the military greater authority to launch strikes. The move suspends 2013 rules that require extensive interagency vetting to prevent air strikes from hitting civilians.

Note that this isn't a radical escalation, US SF have been kicking around Somalia for ages calling in 'self defense' strikes on Al Shabaab, but these are the first regular US troops to come back since 1994. And Trump was going to be the isolationist President lol

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Brother Friendship posted:

We talking Karzai? Yet another great Cheney relic! IIRC he was literally some piece of poo poo in an oil company and Cheney was like 'Oh, you'll be a good president' and we all had to act shocked when he was a corrupt piece of poo poo. I don't think that Cheney guy is on the level!
I thought Karzai is a Pashtun of royal decent?

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
The USA lost a big opportunity to bring stability to Afghanistan when they refused to permit the restoration of Mohammed Zahir Shah as the King of Afghanistan. Zahir Shah had widespread support amongst the country, which only started going to pieces after he had been deposed in the first place, but because The Land Of The Free And Home Of The Brave "don't do kings", in the words of SoS Madeline Albright, they forced him to withdraw. The Americans' designated president Hamid Karzai was clocked as a US stooge from the start and that permanently undermined him and the Kabul government.

It's not too dissimilar to what happened when the USA tied on the strings of another puppet republic, Vietnam - when in 1955 the monarchy was abolished with more votes than there were registered voters in a turnout of 108% (now that's an impressive commitment to democracy). We all know how that ended up.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 16, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

cargo cult posted:

I thought Karzai is a Pashtun of royal decent?

He's the Popal dynast for whatever it's worth (nothing). The large tribal confederations are meaningless and nobody actually gives a poo poo about them.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I'm reading Ghost Wars but I'm just passed half way through. It seems like the Taliban got into power at least partially by feigning to restore Zahir Shah to the throne

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Are there still any successors kicking around somewhere? If so they've probably lived their whole life in London or an equivalent city and you probably couldn't pay them enough to go back

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Zahir Shah was pretty dang old even when he was ousted: His son was actually a member of the Afghan Foreign Ministry before the coup, but even so the old king's son does not give the same legitimacy as The Guy Who Literally Already Was King Before And Is Still Kicking Around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Oh hey I remember this war! :D

• Locked thread