Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Was the reason we didnt want Zahir Shah literally 'we cant install a monarchy' or were we afraid if he was installed the people would overthrow Karzai later? Because looking him up the dude seemed fine being a purely ceremonial figure head with no power, or was atleast willing to accept it, while Karzai could still be president with all the actual power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think Zahir Shah would have made much of a difference.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Taliban kill dozens at army HQ in northern Afghanistan

quote:

Dozens of Afghan soldiers were killed or wounded on Friday when Taliban gunmen disguised in Afghan army uniform talked their way past checkpoints and attacked a military base, officials said.

A U.S. official in Washington put the toll at more than 50 killed and wounded. Afghan officials offered conflicting numbers of casualties in the incident, at a major headquarters in northern Afghanistan often used by foreign military advisers.

That ain't good. This was in Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of Balkh province.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Taliban kill dozens at army HQ in northern Afghanistan

That ain't good. This was in Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of Balkh province.

Balkh is normally outside the area in which the Taliban operate, so I doubt this really represents a serious threat to the ability of the Afghan government control territory there. However it's part of the same unified military command that's in charge of security in neighboring Kunduz, which The Taliban heavily contest it last year and I'd like for you to try and occupy permanently this summer.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
The death toll is climbing to 140+ now though, that's a huge blow to the afghan forces there.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Miruvor posted:

The death toll is climbing to 140+ now though, that's a huge blow to the afghan forces there.

Yeah no doubt. The Taliban made it their explicit objective this year to finally nab a provincial capital. Last year they waited until late summer before hitting everyone at once, assaulting Kunduz while putting Lashkar Gah under siege while routing many Afghan army formations in the hinterlands. The US military calls the present circumstance a "stalemate", but its a stalemate in which every summer the Taliban waxes ever stronger and the government has less and less with which to respond.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Squalid posted:

Yeah no doubt. The Taliban made it their explicit objective this year to finally nab a provincial capital. Last year they waited until late summer before hitting everyone at once, assaulting Kunduz while putting Lashkar Gah under siege while routing many Afghan army formations in the hinterlands. The US military calls the present circumstance a "stalemate", but its a stalemate in which every summer the Taliban waxes ever stronger and the government has less and less with which to respond.

Well I'm sure Trump will prop up the plucky little Afghan government as freedom fighters against the major enemy of our times :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I don't think Zahir Shah would have made much of a difference.

Not when the US government was hung up on catching and prosecuting/killing/torturing "terrorists". Not sure if it's been linked in this thread but No Good Men Among the Living is a really great read on this subject. US was not in Afghanistan to rebuild a nation but to exact blind vengeance with predictable results.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/thomasjoscelyn/status/855794173382971393

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.7317706e3e7a

2 Americans killed and 1 wounded in fighting Afghan ISIS.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Double posting

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/857646459973509120

This brings US troops to over 10,000 I believe.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
wow, 100+ with just automatic rifle fire. that's pretty crazy

10,000 troops in afghanistan in year 15 of our forever war

its staggering to me how many people just don't think about it anymore/assume its virtually over/winding down to nothing

a forgotten decades old war in our time. its fascinating in an academic sense, but terrible and tragic and horrifying in reality

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RaySmuckles posted:

wow, 100+ with just automatic rifle fire. that's pretty crazy

10,000 troops in afghanistan in year 15 of our forever war

its staggering to me how many people just don't think about it anymore/assume its virtually over/winding down to nothing

a forgotten decades old war in our time. its fascinating in an academic sense, but terrible and tragic and horrifying in reality

i honestly dont think we will ever leave. I mean why did Afghanistan become such a sad place. like it was pretty westernized under the king and kinda went back to roots when the soviets when the soviets invaded and the afganis went full nationalistic plus the CIA importing wahabis to help the pashtune nationalists in country. after the invasion it fell to the wahabis.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly dont think we will ever leave. I mean why did Afghanistan become such a sad place. like it was pretty westernized under the king and kinda went back to roots when the soviets when the soviets invaded and the afganis went full nationalistic plus the CIA importing wahabis to help the pashtune nationalists in country. after the invasion it fell to the wahabis.

The conservative Islamic fundamentalists have always been a very strong force in Afghanistan and they've revolted every single time there's been a modernizing government. Go have a quick perusal through Afghan history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforms_of_Am%C4%81null%C4%81h_Kh%C4%81n_and_civil_war

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The problem with Afghanistan is that what the USA wants is a right-wing, NATO-friendly government, and that's what the Taliban was, so after Bush decided to go aggro on them we can't actually get what we want without losing massive face

I think the only realistic outcome here is that we simply walk away, the Taliban wins (again), and 20 years later we make up and formally ally with them, just like with Vietnam

It's pretty amazing how dumb the invasion of Afghanistan was in pure sociopathic geopolitcal terms (IE the terms that everyone involved in foreign policy is operating on). Afghanistan is crucial geopolitical real estate, probably as important as Turkey and the Bosporus, and the US successfully got a friendly government in there after the war with the USSR, then flushed it right down the toilet. If Russia manages to befriend the Taliban and turn them into a client state that will be an unprecedented rollback of of the NATO-Atlanticist-liberal reach, to a point that has actually never been seen before. Has there ever been a Russia-friendly government in Afghanistan? That's on top of China having nabbed Pakistan as a client out from under the nose of the US too. Having a Russia-friendly government in Afghanistan is what haunts the nightmares of Anglo-American foreign policy people and has been since the the days of the British Empire. Thanks Obama

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 28, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Afghanistan was already within the Soviet sphere of influence prior to their invasion. The USSR intervened because their preferred client had been killed in an internal struggle but the party in power was explicitly communist and pro-Soviet.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Yeah the USSR had a friendly series of clients basically until the end of their invasion, one of whom, Amin, the Soviets even killed on their own after KGB disinfo suggesting he was getting turned by the CIA managed to get back to them. Why is Afghanistan so strategically significant other than that it borders Iran? Because it borders the Central Asian republics?

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 28, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

cargo cult posted:

Yeah the USSR had a friendly series of clients basically until the end of their invasion, one of whom, Amin, the Soviets even killed on their own after KGB disinfo suggesting he was getting turned by the CIA managed to get back to them. Why is Afghanistan so strategically significant other than that it borders Iran? Because it borders the Central Asian republics?

that's a good question, and i'm not sure what the answer is

i'd say its because its sort of right in the middle of all those power players in the region- china, india and pakistan, and iran, plus you can pipe out some of that natural gas being drilled in the central asian states to try and cut into russia's economic dominance

but yeah, its still a barely habitable, landlocked state with virtually nothing of value within it. so its got to be its ability to meddle in the affairs of its neighbors/cut into russia's economic client states

edit: though its proximity to regional powers is rather limited in the fact that its not exactly near anything of value in those major states. south korea, japan and the other pacific nations are much closer to anything of value in china by far. and the russia is way far away and once again near nothing particularly important. india is already an ally and i thought pakistan war relatively pliable as well (though i'm aware they do poo poo to gently caress with the US all the time). so maybe its just surrounding iran (since we're in iraq too)?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 28, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It wasn't more pro-Russian than any other third world/nonaligned country. The explicit Marxists didn't come to power until 79. A government as friendly to Russia as Pakistan is with China would be unprecedented IMO

cargo cult posted:

Why is Afghanistan so strategically significant other than that it borders Iran? Because it borders the Central Asian republics?

Pretty much. It borders Russia's sphere of influence, China's, Iran, and Pakistan

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sergg posted:

The conservative Islamic fundamentalists have always been a very strong force in Afghanistan and they've revolted every single time there's been a modernizing government. Go have a quick perusal through Afghan history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforms_of_Am%C4%81null%C4%81h_Kh%C4%81n_and_civil_war

Yeah, you have to take 'modernizing' with a grain of salt- there was modernization in the cities, but most of the country is highly rural and opposed to central authority beyond what's immediately on offer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

It wasn't more pro-Russian than any other third world/nonaligned country. The explicit Marxists didn't come to power until 79. A government as friendly to Russia as Pakistan is with China would be unprecedented IMO

Pretty much. It borders Russia's sphere of influence, China's, Iran, and Pakistan

well in that case just turn it into a radioactive crater field, the reds can't geopolitics if there's nothing left to geopolitics on :lemaysay:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sergg posted:

thats depressing, Wahhabism is loving cancer. :(

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/858001944916480004

Oh ffs

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/858653443396972545

300 more Marines into the grinder.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

The problem with Afghanistan is that what the USA wants is a right-wing, NATO-friendly government, and that's what the Taliban was, so after Bush decided to go aggro on them we can't actually get what we want without losing massive face

I think the only realistic outcome here is that we simply walk away, the Taliban wins (again), and 20 years later we make up and formally ally with them, just like with Vietnam

It's pretty amazing how dumb the invasion of Afghanistan was in pure sociopathic geopolitcal terms (IE the terms that everyone involved in foreign policy is operating on). Afghanistan is crucial geopolitical real estate, probably as important as Turkey and the Bosporus, and the US successfully got a friendly government in there after the war with the USSR, then flushed it right down the toilet. If Russia manages to befriend the Taliban and turn them into a client state that will be an unprecedented rollback of of the NATO-Atlanticist-liberal reach, to a point that has actually never been seen before. Has there ever been a Russia-friendly government in Afghanistan? That's on top of China having nabbed Pakistan as a client out from under the nose of the US too. Having a Russia-friendly government in Afghanistan is what haunts the nightmares of Anglo-American foreign policy people and has been since the the days of the British Empire. Thanks Obama

There's an important difference between the Taliban and the Viet Cong, the Taliban have their support pretty much limited to ethnic Pashtuns, who only make about about 40% of the population. It's kind of like if the Hmong were 30% of the population of Indochina instead <10%, and genociding them was an official party line of the Vietnamese communist party. The Hazara will never join the Taliban, and therefore it is much more difficult for the Taliban to win outright as their base of support is necessarily a much smaller percent of the population.

Also this speculative hand-wringing about the Taliban becoming a Russian client is so absurd I've never seen it expressed in even the most histrionic of right-wing opinion on Afghanistan. Not that there hasn't been a good deal of anti-Russian sentiment expressed on the subject, but it tends to frame it much more realistically. Rumors of Russian support for the Taliban first started last summer around the same time they started taking a more active role in the Libyan political crisis, and I'm pretty sure their goals in Afghanistan are limited to the more realistic objective of tying up American resources and political will.

For what its worth, political science hasn't found much evidence foreign funding really gives much political leverage over insurgent groups and even a lot of money isn't likely to make up the ideological differences between Russia and the Taliban.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Wahabism has had some degree of influence on Taliban theological thought, but it is easy to overstate. the Taliban draw more strongly from a South Asian Sunni tradition called Deobandism and traditional Pashtun tribal law.

OhFunny posted:

300 more Marines into the grinder.

Some military sources are now suggesting America is considering putting as many three-five thousand additional troops into Afghanistan, while NATO is considering an increase as well :getin:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Whats this guy holding? Is it a sheathed lance of longinus or a 40k style banner?

Also why is this thread even here, we won afghanistan, mission accomplished.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
While we're still a few years from the point when American soldiers fighting in Afghanistan will have been born after the invasion, you can bet there are already Afghan people fighting in the war who were born after 2001.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

traditional Pashtun tribal law.

It's called pashtunwali and it sucks rear end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

is it? i mean that wouldnt surprise after hearing some of the horror stories over there dealing with Bacha bazi and honor killings(though i think that mostly Pakistan). the general outline of the beliefs seem nice.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nopantsjack posted:

Whats this guy holding? Is it a sheathed lance of longinus or a 40k style banner?

Also why is this thread even here, we won afghanistan, mission accomplished.

Flag of some sort. Would be touching the ground if it wasn't furled up in the cover.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Helsing posted:

While we're still a few years from the point when American soldiers fighting in Afghanistan will have been born after the invasion, you can bet there are already Afghan people fighting in the war who were born after 2001.

FFS average life expectancy in Afghanistan is about ~60 years old and the country has been in a de-facto state of war since 1978 so everyone under the age of 39 has been born in a country at war... so pretty much only the oldest Afghani's will have any memory of ~peace~.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Anime Lance Division

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, I think connecting all conservative traditions in islamic society with wahabbiism is extremely a-historical and dumb.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guidon_(United_States)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol

https://twitter.com/USAIDAfghan/status/858901355645292545

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cute pic :kiddo:

Incidentally Afghanistan set a new record in 2016 for poppy production, up a whopping 42% wow! At least that's one bright spot for the Afghan economy

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

NPR had on a guest today named Ali Soufan to talk about his new book, Anatomy of Terror: From the Death of Bin Laden to the Rise of the Islamic State.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/02/526607468/in-anatomy-of-terror-former-fbi-agent-outlines-how-terror-groups-stay-resilient

quote:

SOUFAN: We've been successful against tactically weakening that organization. However, strategically, they have been able to mutate because we focus on attacking structures. They are focused on ideology and message. And that ideology is actually the neck of this hydra.

Only when we cut off the neck, when we cut the ideology and we cut the narrative off, then we can be weakening the organization that has basically expanded enormously, you know, after bin Laden's death. Today is the sixth anniversary of his death, and the organization today is way more powerful than it used to be six years ago when the Navy SEALs took down Osama bin Laden.

SIEGEL: At the end of your book, you cite Northern Ireland as an example of a conflict that was marked by terror and suppression that was brought to a resolution. That entailed men whom the British regarded as complicit in assassination and murder and bombings into politics, even into Parliament, as it turned out. Is that sort of result conceivable with al-Qaida considering that even the election of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt resulted in their ouster and prosecution?

SOUFAN: I think it's too far away to think that al-Qaida can be part of any kind of a political solution in the Middle East. Al-Qaida's still in nature a terrorist organization. They don't believe in including others in their ruling schemes, whatever they are. They don't believe in democracy. They don't believe in elections. And I think the example that I put at the end of the book and the comparison with Northern Ireland is mostly about individuals.
. . .
SIEGEL: Well, that observation which you made reminded me of an argument I've read that what we've witnessed is not simply the radicalization of political Islam but the Islamization of radicalism. That is, that there are people who have complaints, who have grievances, and it turns out that Islam provides a vocabulary for them to abuse and use and rationalize their actions.

SOUFAN: Absolutely, and I totally agree with this. You know, and I think what I try to do in this book is to focus on the story through the eyes of several leaders of al-Qaida - you know, bin Laden, for example, Abu Musab Zarqawi, Saif al-Adel, Zawahiri, al-Baghdadi - and to see the world through their eyes, to see what are their grievances. Why do people actually get so upset that they are willing to go and blow themselves up? How did they view the Iraq war, and how did the Iraq war played into their narrative because I think what we need and, in 15 years or 16 years after 9/11, we still unfortunately don't have - deeper understanding of the enemy.

And I think I tried in this book to create a sense of empathy. And I don't mean empathy in the colloquial sense. I actually mean more empathy in the clinical sense. Only then we can start to develop model in order to predict their actions. And I hope that the reader when they read this some kind of a fun novel - because it wasn't written as a terrorism book. It was written more about the stories of these individuals to the regular reader who basically don't know much.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
The al-Qaeda-IRA comparison if far more common in high level policy planning than I think most people realize. Ali Soufan is one, but the idea is floating in more circles than the Soufan Group's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Svartvit posted:

The al-Qaeda-IRA comparison if far more common in high level policy planning than I think most people realize. Ali Soufan is one, but the idea is floating in more circles than the Soufan Group's.

I'm curious now what kind of comparisons are made, because I'm not sure I quite understood where he was going with it.

I think I've shared with you before some of the ways I think the US counter-terrorism strategy is self defeating, and this interview was one of the first times I've heard government officials echoing the way I feel. Policy makers have long recognized that truly defeating Al Qaeda outright via force of arms alone is a pipe dream. Instead they've pivoted towards more modest objectives like preventing AQAP from launching foreign attacks. One way they have accomplished this is by targeting mid-level Al Qaeda leaders with drone strikes, reducing organizational effectiveness and keeping operations disrupted.

I think this strategy was effective in Iraq in 2007, but has been a disaster in places like Yemen and Somalia. Without any real capacity to capitalize on organizational weakness these targeted strikes have had the same effect on Al Qaeda as a weak dose of anti-biotics on a bacterial population. By repeatedly killing their leaders but allowing the organizations to survive, we've simply put an immense amount of selective pressure on Al Qaeda affiliates, forcing them to "mutate" into something altogether leaner, more resilient and efficient, immune to the kind of self-destructive cults of personality that have weakened insurgent groups like the Shining Path.

Al Qaeda in Somalia was maybe a dozen or so guys and hardly any more sympathizers before America's "Shadow War" of the mid aughts catalyzed their evolution into Al Shabaab, and their ascendancy with the Islamic Courts Union likely never wouldn't have happened if the flood of anti-terror money into the pockets of local warlords hadn't reignited civil conflict in Mogadishu. Similarly the Houthi used Saleh's receipt of US anti-terror funding as justification of their resistance against his government.

edit: new report from SIGAR counted 6,785 Afghan soldiers killed in the first 10 months of last year, and more than 800 killed in January-February this year. They found more civilians died last year than any year since they started keeping records in 2009

• Locked thread