Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-idUSKBN1AI2V6

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's doubts about the war in Afghanistan has led to a delay in completing a new U.S. strategy in South Asia, skepticism that included a suggestion that the U.S. military commander in the region be fired, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

During a July 19 meeting in the White House Situation Room, Trump demanded that his top national security aides provide more information on what one official called "the end-state" in a country where the United States has spent 16 years fighting against the Taliban with no end in sight.

The meeting grew stormy when Trump said Defense Secretary James Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph Dunford, a Marine general, should consider firing Army General John Nicholson, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, for not winning the war.

"We aren't winning," he told them, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In addition, once the meeting concluded, Trump's chief strategist, Steve Bannon, got into what one official called "a shouting match" with White House national security adviser H.R. McMaster over the direction of U.S. policy.

Some officials left the meeting “stunned” by the president’s vehement complaints that the military was allowing the United States to lose the war

Mattis, McMaster and other top aides are putting together answers to Trump's questions in a way to try to get him to approve the strategy, the officials said.

The White House had no comment on the accounts of the meeting.

Another meeting of top aides is scheduled on Thursday.

Although Trump earlier this year gave Mattis the authority to deploy U.S. military forces as he sees fit, in fact the defense secretary's plans to add around 4,000 more U.S. troops to the 8,400 currently deployed in Afghanistan are being caught up in the delay surrounding the strategy, the officials said.

"It's been contingent all along informally on the strategy being approved," a senior administration official said of the troop deployment.

Trump has long been a skeptic of lingering U.S. involvement in foreign wars and has expressed little interest in deploying military forces without a specific plan on what they will do and for how long.

Officials said Trump argued that the United States should demand a share of Afghanistan’s estimated $1 trillion in mineral wealth in exchange for its assistance to the Afghan government.

But other officials noted that without securing the entire country, which could take many years, there is no way to get the country’s mineral riches to market, except to Iran. Trump complained that the Chinese are profiting from their mining operations, the officials said.

Grab that oil mineral wealth!

Honestly though the deep skepticism over the military's ability to achieve a victory in Afghanistan and weariness to continue the war is the only positive thing Trump has going for him in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The eternal cycle of firing a guy for not winning a war, even if they were confident, yet only ever hiring someone who is confident that they can win the war, the war that is nearly older than the troops being deployed to said war.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OhFunny posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-idUSKBN1AI2V6

Grab that oil mineral wealth!

Honestly though the deep skepticism over the military's ability to achieve a victory in Afghanistan and weariness to continue the war is the only positive thing Trump has going for him in my eyes.

lool, I'm a fan of these endless and deliciously detailed leaks myself :allears:

Let's see what else is new in Afghanistan?

Ambush Hits NATO Convoy In Afghanistan, Killing 2 US Service Members

Islamic State bombs Shiite mosque in eastern Afghanistan

This attack reportedly killed 29 people. IS pushing the sectarian angle as hard as ever I see.

The Taliban have also released footage taken immediately after seizing the district of Jani Khel

They also had images of half a dozen government trucks and piles and piles of ammo boxes. Looks like the Afghan army left in a real hurry, if they escaped at all.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Squalid posted:

lool, I'm a fan of these endless and deliciously detailed leaks myself :allears:

Let's see what else is new in Afghanistan?

Ambush Hits NATO Convoy In Afghanistan, Killing 2 US Service Members

Islamic State bombs Shiite mosque in eastern Afghanistan

This attack reportedly killed 29 people. IS pushing the sectarian angle as hard as ever I see.

The Taliban have also released footage taken immediately after seizing the district of Jani Khel

They also had images of half a dozen government trucks and piles and piles of ammo boxes. Looks like the Afghan army left in a real hurry, if they escaped at all.

WTF is the thing on the bottom right, a 16th century hand cannon?

Maluco Marinero posted:

The eternal cycle of firing a guy for not winning a war, even if they were confident, yet only ever hiring someone who is confident that they can win the war, the war that is nearly older than the troops being deployed to said war.

War Machine may be an unimpressive movie, but it is a good documentary.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

IS and/or the Taliban are now slaughtering Shia civilians :(

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/dozens-afghans-killed-remote-sar-pul-province-170806180610109.html

quote:

Mohammed Zaher Wahdat, the governor of Sar-e Pul, said that "as many as 30 to 40 innocent people... were brutally shot and killed" in the province's predominately Shia village of Mirzawalang after Taliban fighters captured it on Saturday.

The governor told AFP news agency that several mosques were set ablaze and an unknown number of villagers were taken hostage following a 48-hour battle between the fighters and Afghan security forces.

At least 12 fighters and seven Afghan troops were killed in the fighting, he said.

Many details of the attack, including the identity of the fighters, were not immediately clear.

READ MORE: Father of robotics team member killed in Herat attack

The Taliban said it had captured Mirzawalang, but rejected reports of civilian casualties as "hollow propaganda by the enemy".

The fighting is still ongoing.

Earlier in the day, a spokesman for Wahdat told Reuters that the attackers included foreigners.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

blowfish posted:

WTF is the thing on the bottom right, a 16th century hand cannon?

Not that I would know, but it well could be considering some of the other stuff that's turned up in Afghanistan.

E:
:(

twitter and bisted fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 8, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/watch-mattis-says-u-s-close-new-approach-afghanistan/

quote:

WASHINGTON — After months of sometimes heated internal debate, the Trump administration has almost reached a decision on a new approach for fighting the 16-year-old war in Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Thursday. He gave no hint of what the strategy would look like.

In remarks at the State Department, Mattis told reporters President Donald Trump will confer with his national security team Friday at the Camp David presidential retreat in Maryland, and said the talks “will move this toward a decision.”

“We are coming very close to a decision, and I anticipate it in the very near future,” he added.

I hope the decision is not the cyber-punk privatized mercenary occupation option :ohdear:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Squalid posted:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/watch-mattis-says-u-s-close-new-approach-afghanistan/

I hope the decision is not the cyber-punk privatized mercenary occupation option :ohdear:

Oh hell yeah. The US is championing something amazing. Before we could sell bullets and guns, but gently caress thst. Lets sell trigger pullers
remember from the militsty Kids, No gun bomb or otherwise can fire without a grunt to pull the trigger.

I swear to god, the Uber of PMCS is coming.

Afghsniatan will be the testing ground for exporting lease equipmebt. Eric Prince has a fleet of attack helic90tersband trabzport craft. Just wait till Private corps start owning Naval vessels larget than frigatws.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/899355247101046786

We'll know tomorrow. Although I expect Trump to go off topic.

edit: CBS is reporting 4,000 additional troops to Afghanistan.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 20, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/899355247101046786

We'll know tomorrow. Although I expect Trump to go off topic.

edit: CBS is reporting 4,000 additional troops to Afghanistan.

didn't they already agree to 4,000 additional troops? Honestly I doubt we're going to get anything of consequence tomorrow.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/902976745263030272

Well well well. I wonder what the real number of contractors is?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That's weird. I wonder where the extra troops were hiding

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Squalid posted:

Based on what I've learned from GIP, probably in the portajohns, jacking off.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

Previously if a troop was over there for under 120 days (IIRC) they didn't have to be counted in the total number.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/905445576799608835

https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/905446820276568065

https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/905447713189322752

U.S. general in Afghanistan apologizes for highly offensive leaflets: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.6c28518cba79

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Does the US military not have a PR guy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Or a design guy?

That flyer looks like a grade schooler made it with MSPaint.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

blowfish posted:

Does the US military not have a PR guy.

Donald J Trump

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

VitalSigns posted:

Or a design guy?

It probably was, this meme is popular among servicemen and I'm guessing for a reason

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Does anyone remember there's a war going on in Somalia?

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2017/09/africom-hits-shabaab-with-3-precision-airstrikes.php

AFRICOM hits Shabaab with three Precision Strikes posted:

Since the beginning of June, the US military has announced 13 strikes against Shabaab. The targets have varied. A June 11 operation hit a Shabaab command center and logistics node. A July 4 attack targeted Shabaab fighters as they massed for an attack in the south. A July 29 airstrike killed Ali Muhammad Hussein, a senior Shabaab leader, in a strike on the Mogadishu Attack Network.

AFRICOM has loosely described raids against targets such as IED facilities and training camps as “counterterrorism operations,” when in reality these are military operations, since they are often launched against well-defended and well-defined targets in areas under direct Shabaab control. Like other al Qaeda branches, Shabaab controls a significant amount of territory and operates a military, intelligence and services, and governs areas it controls.

The US State Department, in its Country Reports on Terrorism 2016, said that Shabaab has prospered over the past year “due largely to lapses in offensive counterterrorism operations during 2016.” Additionally, State noted that Somali security forces “remained incapable of securing and retaking towns from al-Shabaab independently,” and while not explicitly stated, hinted that the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) is failing.

Al Shabaab has responded with at least 32 car bombings that have killed at least 242 people.

There's a useful map explorer behind this link That lets you check out US strikes in Somalia by year and review their targets. Does anybody think the US has an exit strategy for Somalia or do the strategic visionaries in DoD plan on bombing it for another decade? Lucky for them I don't think anybody ever bothers to ask.

Afghanistan hasn't had much news lately, or at least nothing remarkable. The government and Taliban continue trading districts. The Taliban have grown remarkably bold in their movements in the past several years, showing little fear of airstrikes during and after operations. This is illustrated in this video of one unit ambushing a government convoy.

https://www.facebook.com/longwarjournal/videos/1697215420288611/

I assume this just means NATO is no longer committing the kind of air assets necessary to respond everywhere they are needed. I wonder if this will change as the Syrian conflict winds down?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

It probably was, this meme is popular among servicemen and I'm guessing for a reason

I refuse to believe that the boobies satellite in Under Siege 2 isn't real.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VitalSigns posted:

Or a design guy?

Get the CIA dorks that design poo poo like an octopus snatching the globe, at least they know how to make something look cool instead of completely rear end backwards dumb if you're even trying to intimidate someone.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/909902367235215361

Seems there's been a cut in the number of additional troops to Afghanistan.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/PaulGottinger/status/909475099786534912

Double posting, but some good news!

Don't need to ride in a helicopter​ to cross the street anymore!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That must be really annoying for the locals. I assume they don't need the copters anymore to to the billion dollar security upgrades they're installing?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

VitalSigns posted:

Or a design guy?

Or anybody who speaks Arabic or knows any loving thing at all about Islam?

Squalid posted:

That must be really annoying for the locals.

When have they ever mattered in any of this?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Present best estimate at extent of Taliban insurgency. While Taliban operate over roughly 45% of the country, they control a significantly smaller proportion of the population, their power being concentrated in very rural districts. On this map "Contested" districts range from nearly complete Taliban control with government and occupation forces confined to a single heavily besieged base as in Sagin district, to relatively quiet regions where their activity is confined to occasional attacks and low level organizing activity.

I'm always struck by just how little information there is on much of Afghanistan. It's not like Syria where protests and battles are uploaded to facebook or youtube within hours. The "unconfirmed Taliban claim" areas of the map often have not have had reliable reports released on their status from either the government or the Taliban in years. I'm pretty sure both the Taliban and Afghan government are unsure who'se really in charge in some of the most remote regions, where locals pay little head to any outsiders presuming authority.

• Locked thread