Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and radioshack will prolly beat them to the grave

In Canada I thought they were rebranded "the Source"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

kill facebook please
I want it to die but we seem to be in the worst possible timeline, so it might live

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

adding twitter to this list

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I think Uber is going to fall apart as soon as they IPO and regular investors realize that they cannot make money. I could also see Tesla falling apart a good bit.

Business Gorillas posted:

A health insurance company or two if the following happens (ranked by both sequence and least to most absurd):

A) they actually replace Obamacare
B) they actually get rid of the individual mandate
C) said plan actually meets trumps scatterbrained response of every citizen in the country getting insurance without a noticeable decreahahahahaha I'm sorry I cant but seriously the healthcare industry is going to explode or buckle under its own weight

I already said this before in the Trump thread but I think Walmart for sure and maybe Amazon start their own health insurance divisions within four years

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

triple sulk posted:

I think Uber is going to fall apart as soon as they IPO and regular investors realize that they cannot make money. I could also see Tesla falling apart a good bit.

I already said this before in the Trump thread but I think Walmart for sure and maybe Amazon start their own health insurance divisions within four years

walmart will go the way of kmart in trumps america because all the rural comms/small towns that are dominated by walmarts will be barren and abandoned within four years

idk if I wanna predict walmart dying before 2020 because kmart technically lingered on like a hideous boils attached to smaller towns for a long time after it became obvious they were going to shutter

but if rural america collapses walmart will be severely hurt, maybe reduced to a regional market again (that region being china ofc lmao haha)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SpaceGoku posted:

walmart will go the way of kmart in trumps america because all the rural comms/small towns that are dominated by walmarts will be barren and abandoned within four years

idk if I wanna predict walmart dying before 2020 because kmart technically lingered on like a hideous boils attached to smaller towns for a long time after it became obvious they were going to shutter

but if rural america collapses walmart will be severely hurt, maybe reduced to a regional market again (that region being china ofc lmao haha)

yeah walmart is going to evaporate if they slash welfare/food stamps

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Perverse incentives will continue to gently caress poo poo up in the US finance sector. Trump will let a bank fail.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

with the rising costs of consumer electronics in a post-tariff economy one of the major carrier networks will collapse because of a lack of customer base, no one will be able to afford phones even on a lengthy contract deal, and huge numbers of people will simply stop paying for service when they have to budget themselves extremely tightly

it will then get bought out by facebook

facebook will sell extremely discounted smartphones to everyone who wants one inside the coverage network they buy, but the only apps the phones will be able to access will be those owned by facebook, the phones will not be equipped with a web browser and none will be offered on the facebook app store

SpaceGoku has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
nintendo gettin outta the hardware game after the switch does badly. going the way of sega.

twitter bailout going to be real controversial and funny as hell but also expected.

bet a buncha mall brands will die at least as brick and mortar places.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

:commissar: Deutschebank

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Twitter will fail, de-list, then be bought out by Microsoft or Facebook.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SpaceGoku posted:

they have made themselves into a luxury brand entirely held aloft by conspicuous consumption and their product quality has been dropping over the past few years

p much this. the progressive iterations of the iPhone haven't been as hugely successful as shareholders wanted to see and IIRC tim cook had to give back a chunk of his 2016 incentive bonus at the end of Q4 because Apple failed to meet whatever arbitrary goals they promised shareholders they would meet. I think they've really tied an anchor around their waists by setting the expectation with consumers that there's going to be some new revolutionary product coming out every year.

I don't know if Wal-Mart will take a hit when rural areas collapse, unless the collapse is so thorough that towns are literally abandoned in mass exodus waves. Wal-Mart has done an exceptional job at shutting out any competition; in many of those same rural areas, there isn't anywhere to buy clothing or groceries or etc except for Wal-Mart.

personally I'm much more excited about Wal-Mart bringing back indentured servitude. when the primary source of income for a community is welfare and/or SSI it'd be easy for Wal-Mart to offer a new payment plan where your welfare/SSI checks are deposited directly into a Wal-Mart bank account, and then they pay you out 5x in Wal-Bucks, which you can then use to shop at Wal-Mart and pay for your rent in your Wal-Mart apartment building. IIRC they already started doing something similar in their South America plants a few years back (offering to pay people 5x their regular pay check if they agreed to take payment in the form of company scrip).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

logikv9 posted:

kill facebook please

it will never die

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Business Gorillas posted:

yeah walmart is going to evaporate if they slash welfare/food stamps

you are aware that walmart is all over the planet right and not completely dependent on the US?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jiggerypokery posted:

:commissar: Deutschebank

I thought Deutsche Bank would die in 2016 but I've come around on it and decided Germany would smash the skulls of every baby in southern Europe before they let it fail

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

nintendo gettin outta the hardware game after the switch does badly. going the way of sega.

twitter bailout going to be real controversial and funny as hell but also expected.

bet a buncha mall brands will die at least as brick and mortar places.

Trump will nationalize twitter so he can continue to roast failed lightweights and very dishonest media

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can't believe people think the biggest company in the world is going to fail lol

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

breaklaw posted:

Twitter will fail, de-list, then be bought out by Microsoft or Facebook.

they already shopped around for buyers and everybody said no

disney was closest to agreeing until they remembered that their family-friendly branding is at odds with a radioactive waste dump of the first world's worst people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If Wal-mart was 1) not making money or 2) not employing something like 0.5% of the US population, it would die

C'mon guys you are not going to be buying motor oil, toys and paper through Amazon

• Locked thread