Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

basically what the thread title says

by "major" I mean like, not some lovely bespoke dog treat startup company, I mean bigger poo poo like uber

speaking of: uber is the company I pick to die but not for the reason you think: they'll actually get a major windfall when the economy collapses and people need to find new work and sign up in droves, which causes cab companies in smaller cities (ie: NOT nyc or whatever) to go out of business, uber briefly holds a near-monopoly on the transportation market in some cities but as so many people turn to companies like uber to try to make the ends meet none of those people will be able to make enough money to even pay for gas as the sheer volume of labor competition causes uber's pricing algorithms to push fare prices lower and lower, their market share will bloat as prices drop so much that it briefly becomes cheaper to hire an uber than to drive your own car, and then the drivers will all quickly abandon their short-lived careers as uber drivers and the company's valuation bottoms out over night

like the time the dutch went bonkers for tulips, except with cars that drive you home from the weed store so your idiot baby rear end doesn't even have to wait thirty minutes to get high

this isn't limited to start ups I just picked uper because they will probably have a funny death and will probably be the first "major startup" to die at the start of the new tech collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

in before someone says "america lol"

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Uber has never turned a profit. Like it lost a couple BILLION last year and has no actual path to making money.

Anyway my vote is Apple Computers Inc. or whatever their official name is. You can only rip people off so many times before they quit buying cell phones and nothing else that company makes is worth a goddamn.

edit: also Chrysler (again)

that's why I picked them, they're gonna look like they will finally start making money and everything will be okay adn then lmao nope welcome to trumps america sucker

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

poo poo ahahaha posted b4 reading the replies gg wp

lmao gotcha

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Regular Nintendo posted:

You are stupid

Apple probably won't fail but he's right to call them out as a company that's gonna eat poo poo because they have made themselves into a luxury brand entirely held aloft by conspicuous consumption and their product quality has been dropping over the past few years

combine that with the dramatic increase in prices after trump decides "Yeah, 35% tarrifs for everything" and china tells him "lmao eat poo poo you piss moron" and suddenly the next iphone is $5000 with a 4 year contract

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

triple sulk posted:

I think Uber is going to fall apart as soon as they IPO and regular investors realize that they cannot make money. I could also see Tesla falling apart a good bit.

I already said this before in the Trump thread but I think Walmart for sure and maybe Amazon start their own health insurance divisions within four years

walmart will go the way of kmart in trumps america because all the rural comms/small towns that are dominated by walmarts will be barren and abandoned within four years

idk if I wanna predict walmart dying before 2020 because kmart technically lingered on like a hideous boils attached to smaller towns for a long time after it became obvious they were going to shutter

but if rural america collapses walmart will be severely hurt, maybe reduced to a regional market again (that region being china ofc lmao haha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

with the rising costs of consumer electronics in a post-tariff economy one of the major carrier networks will collapse because of a lack of customer base, no one will be able to afford phones even on a lengthy contract deal, and huge numbers of people will simply stop paying for service when they have to budget themselves extremely tightly

it will then get bought out by facebook

facebook will sell extremely discounted smartphones to everyone who wants one inside the coverage network they buy, but the only apps the phones will be able to access will be those owned by facebook, the phones will not be equipped with a web browser and none will be offered on the facebook app store

SpaceGoku has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread