Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SpaceGoku posted:

they have made themselves into a luxury brand entirely held aloft by conspicuous consumption and their product quality has been dropping over the past few years

p much this. the progressive iterations of the iPhone haven't been as hugely successful as shareholders wanted to see and IIRC tim cook had to give back a chunk of his 2016 incentive bonus at the end of Q4 because Apple failed to meet whatever arbitrary goals they promised shareholders they would meet. I think they've really tied an anchor around their waists by setting the expectation with consumers that there's going to be some new revolutionary product coming out every year.

I don't know if Wal-Mart will take a hit when rural areas collapse, unless the collapse is so thorough that towns are literally abandoned in mass exodus waves. Wal-Mart has done an exceptional job at shutting out any competition; in many of those same rural areas, there isn't anywhere to buy clothing or groceries or etc except for Wal-Mart.

personally I'm much more excited about Wal-Mart bringing back indentured servitude. when the primary source of income for a community is welfare and/or SSI it'd be easy for Wal-Mart to offer a new payment plan where your welfare/SSI checks are deposited directly into a Wal-Mart bank account, and then they pay you out 5x in Wal-Bucks, which you can then use to shop at Wal-Mart and pay for your rent in your Wal-Mart apartment building. IIRC they already started doing something similar in their South America plants a few years back (offering to pay people 5x their regular pay check if they agreed to take payment in the form of company scrip).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread