Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here in the Photoshop Sweatshop we'll be doing photoshop requests and posting other projects we worked on.

Keep it worksafe.

Don't make Avs here. Go here for that.
Tutorial thread

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Yobgoblin posted:

Here in the Photoshop Sweatshop we'll be doing photoshop requests and posting other projects we worked on.

Keep it worksafe.

Don't make Avs here. Go here for that.

h*ck i'm down

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

death sext

I'm always looking for reasons to practice my burgeoning attempts

They Might Be

I'll fill some requests!

Here's a "lovely car photoshop" I did on request for a co-worker.

And here's my recent BYOB work

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Happy and alive baby elephant having adventures in space please!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

HaveARottenDay

Is that car passing on into the afterlife?

They Might Be

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Happy and alive baby elephant having adventures in space please!

edit: breaking tables!!

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Manifisto

at one point people were discussing photoshop/gimp techniques, and someone said they didn't get layer masks, and I started putting together a description and a little animation illustrating the concept

the thread sort of died so I never posted it, here's a chance to show some layer mask goodness:

They Might Be

Manifisto posted:

at one point people were discussing photoshop/gimp techniques, and someone said they didn't get layer masks, and I started putting together a description and a little animation illustrating the concept

the thread sort of died so I never posted it, here's a chance to show some layer mask goodness:

100% this. At all times possible you should be only editing pointers to images (smart objects, layer masks) to make non destructive edits and to save yourself work when re-using project files.

They Might Be

HaveARottenDay posted:

Is that car passing on into the afterlife?

either that or its passing the blood-brain barrier.

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

I'd be willing to do a little how-to on stuff in GIMP

Layer masks are good but I rarely use them!

They Might Be

vanisher posted:

I'd be willing to do a little how-to on stuff in GIMP

Layer masks are good but I rarely use them!

Vanisher / anyone: Do you know a way to merge two animated gifs without doing it on a frame by frame basis?

for example: I wanted to use his animated avatar on the vanisher viking funeral gif but I couldn't figure out a way without moving over 30 frames of the donor animation into 30 different layers in the receiving animation. Any shortcuts?

alnilam

They Might Be posted:

Vanisher / anyone: Do you know a way to merge two animated gifs without doing it on a frame by frame basis?

for example: I wanted to use his animated avatar on the vanisher viking funeral gif but I couldn't figure out a way without moving over 30 frames of the donor animation into 30 different layers in the receiving animation. Any shortcuts?

I'd like to know this too! Heck i can't even figure out how to put a transparent gif on top of a new background, without making a copy of the bg for each frame
(e: in gimp)

Manifisto

yes, there are two ways I know of, both requiring extensions

one is called "multi layer merger," I use it a lot for animations.

the other involves the "move path" command in GAP (the gimp animation package), it is more flexible and powerful but the interface is confusing, you need to use multiple files, and you've gotta wrap your head around GAP's way of doing things

happy to give a little explanation of multi-layer merger if people are interested

death sext

yes please!

They Might Be

alnilam posted:

I'd like to know this too! Heck i can't even figure out how to put a transparent gif on top of a new background, without making a copy of the bg for each frame
(e: in gimp)

To do this in photoshop you select all the frames of your animation (click on frame 1, shift click on the final frame) and then click the eyeball next to your background layer. This will edit the visibility of the layer for all selected frames.

edit: Just had a flash of inspiration and sorta figured it out.

1) Load donor gif in photoshop. File>export as a .mp4
2) Load receiving gif in photoshop. File>export as a .mp4
3) Both video layers can be moved around / edited in the animation timeline
4) Save for web (ctrl+alt+shift+s)

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 16, 2017

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

Manifisto posted:

please post it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792302

e: op, would you mind adding the link to the op too

----------------

vanisher

For my animations I will typically have a couple base images I will manipulate in frames, then i'll "make new layer from visible" after moving things around to create the animated GIF with stationary images.

To combine GIFs is something I rarely do, but when I do it's frame by frame merging the layers together.

Manifisto

death sext posted:

yes please!

okay I'll write up a lil thing on mlm, and sure hogge wilde I'll put this stuff in the official thread too

They Might Be

vanisher posted:

For my animations I will typically have a couple base images I will manipulate in frames, then i'll "make new layer from visible" after moving things around to create the animated GIF with stationary images.

To combine GIFs is something I rarely do, but when I do it's frame by frame merging the layers together.

Holy cow, that's so much work! Does GIMP not have a tween button for animation frames?

vanisher

They Might Be posted:

Holy cow, that's so much work! Does GIMP not have a tween button for animation frames?

Once you do it a couple times it goes pretty quick

It's also why a lot of my things are short. H*ck I should look into ways to do it easier. Really I have very little skill, but I just spend a lot of time on each image.

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

They Might Be posted:

edit: breaking tables!!

:neckbeard:

----------------

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

not as such, you can do that sort of thing using extensions but it's kludgy

They Might Be

Thank you byob for being such a fun place to practice new skills!

Manifisto

so you want to put an animated gif on top of/below/beside another thing, like a still image or another animation

this is a technique for GIMP

there are two extensions I've used that have this functionality. one uses GAP (the Gimp Animation Package) and involves the "Move Path" command. this is a pretty powerful technique because it lets you do things like move animations (sprites) around as they're animating, scale and rotate, really a whole host of capabilities. but it involves an initially confusing interface and may be too complicated for simple tasks. so I won't cover this here but if there's demand maybe some other time.

the second way is simpler but still very useful: the "Multi Layers Merger" (MLM) extension. available here:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/26135

this can do stuff like the following:

* put an animation on top of a still background
* put a still image on top of an animated background
* combine two different animations so they're animating at the same time

to use this you'll need to be familiar with GIMP's default way of animating, which is to have each "frame" of the animation on a separate layer of a single .XCF file. it's effective but not flexible; you can't, for example, designate a single background layer and have all the other layers animate over that background. you generally have to add the background to each frame separately.

the easiest way to work with MLM, conceptually, is to have two separate files (both open in GIMP), one containing the stuff you want in the foregraound, one containing the stuff you want in the background. MLM will create a new file that merges the images according to your specifications.

SMALL BUT IMPORTANT DETAIL: save yourself some of the frustration I've experienced and make sure both of your files are using the "RGB" mode (Image-->Mode-->RGB). GIFs always use indexed color palettes, so if you're working with a GIF it will have to be converted to RGB mode, then once you've finished your animation it will have to be converted back into indexed color mode. if you don't do this, the colors in one of your images will be mapped to the color palette of the other image, and that usually looks bad.

let's start with putting an animated sprite over a still background. let's say I want to combine the animated cockatoo below (a gif) with the jungle background underneath it (a jpg):

so I've opened my cockatoo in gimp, unoptimized it if necessary, converted it to RGB mode, and saved it as a new gimp file, let's call it cockie.xcf. note: important I've also made sure all the layers of cockie.xcf are visible, MLM only works on visible layers.

I've also opened my jungle file in GIMP and made sure it's in RGB mode.

now I can proceed starting with either the jungle or the cockie image. I'm going to start with the jungle because I want the finished version to be the size of the jungle image, not cropped to the size of the cockie image.

with the jungle image active, I choose Layer-->Multi Layers Merger. (in windows you may have to hunt around on your task bar for the dialog that opens up, a minor bug I guess)

what options you choose depends on what you're doing. here, I want the active element (the jungle) to be the background, so I will uncheck "Active element marks the foreground of the result". I want to use all the frames of my cockie gif, so I will uncheck "Use only active Layer." I verify that the "Second image to merge with" is my cockie.xcf. I uncheck "Merge layers on the same levels only" because I am not combining two animations. and I uncheck "Append unmerged layers" because I don't expect to have any unmerged layers.

hit "OK" and voila, a new image is created that has the two images merged! hey whoah, cockie is flying in the jungle!

to make this new image a GIF, by the way, I:

* choose Image-->Mode-->Indexed . . . , select "Generate Optimum Palette" with maximum number of colors set to 255, and (important!) under "Dithering" select "Floyd-Steinberg (normal)" as the dithering method.
*save the file as, say, "cockie-merged.xcf"
* choose "File-->Export," name the file to be saves as "cockie-merged.gif", click "Export"
* in the resulting dialog, make sure "As animation" is selected. The other stuff is animated gif-related and you'll probably want to understand it but it's a little off topic here.

you've now got a gif, but holy filesize batman! you'll want to optimize it before uploading to imgur, advice about that here.

now you'll notice that cockie is just sort of flapping in place, not going anywhere. and that he's relegated to the upper left quadrant of the graphic. these things are all fixable. if you want to do it with MLM, you need to expand the canvas size of the cockie animation to equal the canvas size of the jungle image and position cockie where you want him. if you want cockie to move while flapping, you could edit the cockie.xcf file to incorporate that motion, but honestly that's a trick better suited to GAP.

this is long, so I'll try to cover combining two animated gifs in another post.

ty nesamdoom!

social vegan

vanisher posted:

h*ck i'm down

Manifisto

Hogge Wild posted:

please post it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792302

e: op, would you mind adding the link to the op too

dangit hw, the thread is archived and uneditable, at least by me

I suppose we could create a new one? part 2: the gimpening?

social vegan

also can someone photoshop dave coulier dancing

alnilam

Thank you manifisto! You are an true friend

vanisher

Great post Manifisto I'm going to try that out.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great work, Manifisto. What have some of you been working on? I'll post kine when I can.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

Manifisto posted:

dangit hw, the thread is archived and uneditable, at least by me

I suppose we could create a new one? part 2: the gimpening?

ah, didn't see that

well now it's linked in op, so all's good

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alright, i'll admit it. im out of idea and have nothing to contribute to this thread. let us also use this thread to make ideas.

----------------

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let's make some post cards

----------------

Robot Made of Meat

They should have hired you to to the special effects in Birdemic!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat posted:

They should have hired you to to the special effects in Birdemic!

:ninja:

They Might Be

Picked up a cheap tablet to help out with graphic design stuff for the store/website, and I wanted to test it out on masking / compositing something furry and I figured I'd also doodle some awesome stuff on it while I was at it.

I was about to spend about $70 on a decent Chinese tablet, but was able to score a basically deadstock 6x8 intous 2 that was $400+ 10 years ago for $90 in the amazon used section.

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 11, 2017

deep dish peat moss

John pressed Content-Aware Fill one more time, sipping from his Starbucks latte. It still didn't come out right, you could see little clippings of a person's hand in the sky where he deleted the trees. With a sigh, he pressed Undo, signaling switchboards around the world to package and route data, sent into the web and landing precisely in this pinpoint of China's massive Factory City. Boss Zhang rubbed his eyes with his thumb and forefinger before fishing an ornate golden key from his suit pocket. The key unlocked a solemn drawer hidden beneath the keyboard tray, procuring from within a rope, and some duct tape. It seems young Lin struggled to understand the meaning of "Content Aware". He wasn't cut out for this line of work.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They Might Be posted:

Picked up a cheap tablet to help out with graphic design stuff for the store/website, and I wanted to test it out on masking / compositing something furry and I figured I'd also doodle some awesome stuff on it while I was at it.

I was about to spend about $70 on a decent Chinese tablet, but was able to score a basically deadstock 6x8 intous 2 that was $400+ 10 years ago for $90 in the amazon used section.

Good find and album cover.

Been slacking in Photoshop for a while after a hard drive of mine started failing. Everything's fine now.

Gotta keep this thread goin...

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Photoshop Sweatshop project #1:
Make this gif a meme.

Concept: Steve Austin comes out of nowhere drinking milk and gesturing :cheers:.

• Locked thread