Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well, it's been over a year, and after many broken promises and missed deadlines, IT'S FINALLY HERE, my long awaited second build-race-revise challenge for Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game:

Unlike the previous challenges, SA-GTE and SA-GT 1975, this challenge will feature:

• A totally revised racing simulation, complete with weather effects,
  • A much more challenging reliability simulation, which will push entries to their absolute limits,
  • A revision system that should help even out the field, and
  • A ruleset that is, apart from a few categories, is largely wide open!

So, What is Automation?

Click to go to the Games thread!

Well, it's best summed up as such:

The Automation Website posted:

Automation is a car company tycoon game in which you design and build cars from scratch. It is you who designs everything from the very core that is the engine, over the chassis, to the suspension and the car's looks. Several games have tried this before... but were able to merely scratch the surface. Go ahead, build your dream-car company, or simply aim to dominate the world markets with your superior design skills!

Automation has made a ton of progress in the last year! More content added, along with the first vestiges of the tycoon game. But, what we're here for is the cars, and our ability to design, build and then race them in a grueling racing series. If you're curious what one of these challenges will look like, I've run two of them in the past here on the Forums:

So, How do I enter?

Well, first, download the SASC-89 Challenge Pack, which contains the rule booklet and an Excel copy of the official fuel burn calculator (a Google Sheets version can be found here if you prefer), a guide to building a fast car written by yours truly, as well as the files for the CRT-89 Prototype, if you're so inclined to enter the Prototype class in this challenge. Then, design your car to your heart's content and send it into me at aisheepgame@gmail.com no later than February 9th at 2359 GMT (6:59 PM Eastern Time)!

The sooner you enter, the better, as you will be able to get far more testing under your belt, which you can use to revise your entries - move quickly, because the first test runs a week today!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Challenge Specifications

Prototype Challenge Specifications

SASC-89 Challenge Calendar

Challenge Resources

SASC-89 Challenge Pack

SASC-89 Fuel Burn Calculator

SASC-89 Pit Stop Strategy Form

Car Number Selection Sheet

Pyrlix's High Quality Essentials Pack

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 30, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Road Atlanta Results:

Constructor Standings (click for big):

Revision Points:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 18, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FISH will probably enter a Group A

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I'm having a play with this, struggling to keep my Chassis Production Units under 98, thus eliminating me from group A. I'm not using anything really fancy and don't have any sliders stacked up - any basic things I might be doing wrong here? I also don't seem to be able to get my car's top speed over 200 no matter how much I play with the gearing.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Appears to be worth the wait. Hopefully I can construct a car worthy of the time put into this!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Just a reminder to everyone that you can enter as many as three classes in this challenge!

slothrop posted:

I'm having a play with this, struggling to keep my Chassis Production Units under 98, thus eliminating me from group A. I'm not using anything really fancy and don't have any sliders stacked up - any basic things I might be doing wrong here? I also don't seem to be able to get my car's top speed over 200 no matter how much I play with the gearing.

Group A requires some pretty spartan designs. You will need to make compromises like not using anything but steel in the body/chassis, cheap suspension components, steel or maybe alloy wheels, sizing your brakes and calipers tightly to your needs and so on. Beyond that, certain bodies will just struggle to meet the production unit cap no matter what you do.

The dirty little secret of Group A is that it's probably going to be the hardest class of all to be competitive! :ssh:

As for your speed problem, make sure you aren't overcooling, and also make sure you're getting the most out of your limited fuel allotment as well...This is a class where ten horsepower could make the difference between winning and losing.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 17, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BOSTON, MA - In a move that surprised no one in the Dorchester factory that hand-builds the competetion engines for New England Motorworks's race entries, CEO Sean O'Connor announced today that the company would tackle the upcoming prototype season, in addition to both Group B and Group C entries based on the Merrimack and Assabet platforms respectively. O'Connor said the Prototype will be named Neponset, after the river next to the Dorchester Motor Factory. Merrimack chassis used for the upcoming race season will be hand selected from the main production line in the Lowell Car Mill, and Assabet units will be purpose built in the Maynard Performance Center next to street-going models.

[non-RP post below]

I can't seem to find the allowed mod pack, any chance you can link it?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Well I'm in. I have no idea what to expect, other than many fires and crashing backwards into a tree. I think I managed to hit all the rules but you know, probably not :rolleyes:

Kilonum, here's the link you were after: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=469666352

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Just to check: you have written minimum QPs per section as 0, which seems rather superfluous especially when you have the asterisk too.

Are we to basically go nuts on QPs because it'll all come out in the wash with Production Units?

Edit2 : Haven't played since the last challenge, forgot QPs could be negative - please disregard the above!

e: also assuming that Pyrlix's High Quality Essentials from the Steam Workshop page is what you mean by Pyrlix's High Quality Add-ons

-----------------

So as not to double post:

My Group A is *anaemic*
At this point I'd be better entering my car from the '70s challenge, but it probably wouldn't fit in the rules

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 18, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, my Prototype engine is sitting right where I wanted it, a good balance of fuel economy and raw power.

thinking V8 or V12 for my Group C and I6, V6 or Turbo 4 for my Group B

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Time to see how crap my cars are going to be this time around.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So I also made a Group A car (in addition to the other 3 classes)

Now I need to decide which program to cut :goleft:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yup, totally forgot to put that link into the OP... :v:

Fixed now.

Kilonum posted:

So I also made a Group A car (in addition to the other 3 classes)

Now I need to decide which program to cut :goleft:

Well I'll tell you what; you (and everyone else) can run all four classes in pre-season testing, but you'll have to make a decision which to cut by the submission deadline on the 9th.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
So I'll definitely be joining this. But man, first car I tried making for group A was 300 kg underweight. I tried to make a small car with a small turbocharged engine and I made it too small it seems. Onto the next try, then. Maybe I'll make it a V12, that's a fitting engine for a lower-end group, right? :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Boksi posted:

So I'll definitely be joining this. But man, first car I tried making for group A was 300 kg underweight. I tried to make a small car with a small turbocharged engine and I made it too small it seems. Onto the next try, then. Maybe I'll make it a V12, that's a fitting engine for a lower-end group, right? :v:

If it'll fit the rules, you can do whatever you like!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Boksi posted:

How'd you manage that? Lowest I could get was 200kg-300kg over the mininum

Obviously you don't have to say but I'm wondering if you went for a fibreglass body by mistake

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

my group A is 6kg over the minimum

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Better step my game up then!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

simplefish posted:

How'd you manage that? Lowest I could get was 200kg-300kg over the mininum

Obviously you don't have to say but I'm wondering if you went for a fibreglass body by mistake

I think it mostly had to do with the body I chose. Even all-steel construction can be pretty light if it's small enough.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So I've had a look at all the entries I've received so far, and apart from a couple little issues here and there, I've found nothing really seriously wrong with any of them. Just make sure you have accounted for all the rules, particularly the tire rules, fuel burn and driver aids.

I do have to say, I'm loving the variation in engines I've received so far!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
So somehow my first runs of Group A is faster than my Group B. Apparently I was not a car designer in a previous life.

My Group A is 900.5 kg :smug:

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 21, 2017

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Here's the inspiration to my Group B effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

I do wonder when we are going to get superchargers into the game.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm the bit of wood holding the bonnet open

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

slothrop posted:

I'm the bit of wood holding the bonnet open

"Only the finest Ostrobothnian birch will do the job."

- anonymous mechanic of LAT OY, at the Alastaro circuit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, ATT Test Round 1 had been completed:

In other news:

I totally spaced out about car numbers - you guys get to choose them, so go to this sheet here and make your choices!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Hrm, do i trash my group C or rebuild it from scratch?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kilonum posted:

Hrm, do i trash my group C or rebuild it from scratch?

Well, you have a **TON** of production units left to use in both your engine and your chassis, so...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Well, you have a **TON** of production units left to use in both your engine and your chassis, so...

yeah but isn't the maximum QPs per section on both 0?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kilonum posted:

yeah but isn't the maximum QPs per section on both 0?

Nope, the minimum (apart from the excepted sections) is zero! The reason for this is that certain sections can get a little fucky with negative QPs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Exquise Me? A Baking Powder?

I believe I have a couple of fouls according to scrutineering but why is my car so fast?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

MrChips posted:

Nope, the minimum (apart from the excepted sections) is zero! The reason for this is that certain sections can get a little fucky with negative QPs.

Holy crap, I read that wrong, I thought we were supposed to juggle points so that the QPs for a particular section, ie chassis, engine and trim, came out to zero or less total. This changes things a lot.

Good thing I forgot to send in my car anyway, now I can rebuild parts of it I wasn't happy about.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

well, um

Expect three revisions before 4am EST.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

I totally spaced out about car numbers - you guys get to choose them, so go to this sheet here and make your choices!

aw, wanted to make mine be the area codes in MA that have overlays (617/857, 781/339, 508/774, 978/351)

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'm honestly surprised that one of my Group A cars had a faster lap than every Group B car in the field so far, in spite of being 100 KG above the weight limit.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Got bored and made street versions of my Group A, B and C cars

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Triple A posted:

I'm honestly surprised that one of my Group A cars had a faster lap than every Group B car in the field so far, in spite of being 100 KG above the weight limit.

Oh, that was a typo. I had to make this results sheet manually because I sort of forgot about it until now. The next ones will generate automatically. Sorry to get your hopes up... :v:

Now having said that...

2:10-2:11 is entirely within reach for a well-designed Group A car. How? Well, check out the build guide I wrote that's part of the Challenge Pack. It should give you some pointers to make your car go faster. The single biggest thing I can say for this challenge is to try and do the most for the least - specific fuel consumption is absolutely critical here, as a low SFC will allow more horsepower under the fuel burn rules.

Now I will concede this - even though I built the simulation, I have literally no idea who things will work when the weather kicks in. Fast cars might all of a sudden become absolute dogs in the wet or in extreme heat, and slower cars might all of a sudden be the fastest cars on track.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Apologies for the delay, but Test 2 is now in the books:

The revised entries have made some pretty good gains; well done!

As I am still kind of on the fence about entering my own challenge still, I am more than willing to offer advice to anyone who wants it with regard to how to best improve their entries. Just let me know and I will give you a quick writeup.

On another topic, the next test, coming this Friday, will be our first chance to try out the weather simulation. For this test, all the cars will run the same pit strategy; in other words, the soft tire to hard tire changeover will be at 30 degrees C, the slick to intermediate changeover will be at 30% moisture, and the intermediate to wet changeover will be at 75% moisture, which are the default values for the simulation. Going forward, I will unlock the pit strategy tool so that you can make adjustments based on the forecasts I will publish a week beforehand.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Is there still room to enter? I would love to dust off TMR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Chiwie posted:

Is there still room to enter? I would love to dust off TMR.

There's plenty of room for more. More the merrier.

• Locked thread