Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Right, so I'm in the process of rebuilding the Assabet (my group C)

probably going to end up dropping my group B, can't get the weight down, which seems to be the car's major weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I hope those accidents were just bad luck. Or does the simulation include drivability? Also:

MrChips posted:

And I will reiterate, my offer to help anyone make their car go faster is still open for anyone willing to take me up on it.

And I have to say that so far I am pretty pleased by the diversity of entries so far; one of them in particular has an engine that even makes me go :stare:

Now that we can't send in new entries, I'm curious as to what engine produced that reaction. Can you tell us, please? Also, will I be allowed to make my engine bigger than it currently is, ie increase it's cc, before the real races start? I'm not sure if it'll help, and I'm not sure if my biggest problem is needing MORE POWER or not(well, I still haven't tuned the group B car that much so I know I can make some gains there), but I want to know.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Updated all four of my cars, final cut decision will be made after the Daytona test. Safe to say the Prototype is the only one immune to the axe.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Boksi posted:

I hope those accidents were just bad luck. Or does the simulation include drivability? Also:

Now that we can't send in new entries, I'm curious as to what engine produced that reaction. Can you tell us, please? Also, will I be allowed to make my engine bigger than it currently is, ie increase it's cc, before the real races start? I'm not sure if it'll help, and I'm not sure if my biggest problem is needing MORE POWER or not(well, I still haven't tuned the group B car that much so I know I can make some gains there), but I want to know.

Accidents are mostly bad luck, but it is influenced also the weather (a wet track will produce more accidents, and the wrong tire for the conditions will as well), but also a "difficulty" calculation, which is a ratio between sportiness and driveability (specifically, the TrackSportiness and TrackTameness values in the LUA files). Most of the cars are currently running in the 1.2-1.4 range (lower is better), with a few outliers in either direction.

It was your engine that made me go :stare: - when I first opened up your car in Automation, my reaction to your engine was to let out an incredulous "WHAAAT!", then go about my business making sure it was all above board.

As for engines and bodies, well, you are free to make as many changes before the Week 1 Revision deadline this coming Saturday; after that, the revision system kicks in and revisions will be allowed in accordance with the Challenge Handbook.

So for those of you interested in some guidance in terms of "how much is enough power?", have some stats from the entries as they stand today:

Group A
Average Horsepower: 305.5
Minimum Horsepower: 257
Maximum Horsepower: 382

Group B
Average Horsepower: 434
Minimum Horsepower: 371
Maximum Horsepower: 464

Group C
Average Horsepower: 636.7
Minimum Horsepower: 598
Maximum Horsepower: 677

Prototype
Average Horsepower: 760
Minimum Horsepower: 695
Maximum Horsepower: 825

Here is another interesting stat - there are no V8s in the field whatsoever.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 14, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I've been away from the PC for a few days due to real life (ugh) but I've had a little play and revised my entries to hopefully be more competitive. I just uploaded them to the dropbox, is that the correct method?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MrChips posted:

Yes, my apologies - the real world required my attention for a couple of days.

There are no reports from this mock race (or the next one either) - these are more to give everyone a chance to check how their pit strategies are working (and also give me a chance to do a final shakedown on the model before things get going).

No problem - I know running this is a lot of work and I'm grateful you are

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Accidents are mostly bad luck, but it is influenced also the weather (a wet track will produce more accidents, and the wrong tire for the conditions will as well), but also a "difficulty" calculation, which is a ratio between sportiness and driveability (specifically, the TrackSportiness and TrackDriveability values in the LUA files). Most of the cars are currently running in the 1.2-1.4 range (lower is better), with a few outliers in either direction.

It was your engine that made me go :stare: - when I first opened up your car in Automation, my reaction to your engine was to let out an incredulous "WHAAAT!", then go about my business making sure it was all above board.

As for engines and bodies, well, you are free to make as many changes before the Week 1 Revision deadline this coming Saturday; after that, the revision system kicks in and revisions will be allowed in accordance with the Challenge Handbook.

So for those of you interested in some guidance in terms of "how much is enough power?", have some stats from the entries as they stand today:

Group A
Average Horsepower: 305.5
Minimum Horsepower: 257
Maximum Horsepower: 382

Group B
Average Horsepower: 434
Minimum Horsepower: 371
Maximum Horsepower: 464

Group C
Average Horsepower: 636.7
Minimum Horsepower: 598
Maximum Horsepower: 677

Prototype
Average Horsepower: 760
Minimum Horsepower: 695
Maximum Horsepower: 825

Well I can tell from one of these numbers you haven't loaded in my revisions yet (in the dropbox, can email you as well)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, Mock Race 2 is in the books, and oh boy was it messy:

It was cloudy and cool, with the threat of rain looming large at the start of the event. Everyone was watching and waiting for the skies to open up, and that they did in the fourth hour, the deluge coming and causing chaos on track and in the pits, as teams scrambled to keep up with the wild swings in weather. Many cars fell victim to the changing conditions, while others persevered and placed respectably.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Chipsy being very much the boy to beat there

I think I've pretty much optimised out my current design philosophy, and while I'm close, I'm still no closer.

I'm going to forgo some of the things I optimised away in the hope of bringing back a bit more speed

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to improve my cars by turning out more efficient engines. My latest attempt drops fuel burn by ~ 20g/kWh and increases power by ~ 20hp. Yet when I load the "mod" motor into my car, it's slower. There is around a 6kg difference between the two motors but I would have thought the extra power would have made up for that. Any ideas what's going on here? Every time I aim for higher power and lower fuel burn I end up with a slower car, this is in both Group A and Group B.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Right, I'm doing two more rebuilds tonight after work. My group C is safe from getting cut (with the limited competition in that class, it will pick up an occasional class podium when the others have issues), however it is going to get some work to try to improve lap times

Similarly, Group B is all but safe, And other than aero/suspension changes I don't see much else to tweak (maybe a new engine)

Group A is a dumpster fire, right at the minimum weight but obviously underpowered, even with the new engine it got on my last rebuild. Gonna try another new engine, but if it doesn't pass muster on the company test track it's not going anywhere near competition.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slothrop posted:

I'm trying to improve my cars by turning out more efficient engines. My latest attempt drops fuel burn by ~ 20g/kWh and increases power by ~ 20hp. Yet when I load the "mod" motor into my car, it's slower. There is around a 6kg difference between the two motors but I would have thought the extra power would have made up for that. Any ideas what's going on here? Every time I aim for higher power and lower fuel burn I end up with a slower car, this is in both Group A and Group B.

Torque curves are important, as well as gearing and a number of other factors. An engine that makes all of its power up high, and has has a narrow band between the torque peak and power peak might actually be slower than a car with a wider spread. Also, gearing is important; any time you change the engine you really do need to adjust your gear ratio spacing and top speed.

Also, the shape of your engine power curve is very important too; ideally, you want the engine to rev a ways past peak power, ideally to the highest possible performance index (the number at the top of the stats block in the upper left of the engine design tabs). This way, when the car upshifts it starts much higher in the power curve in the higher gear than if the engine revved to peak power and that's it.

Specifically for your entries slothrop, there are a couple of really simple tweaks that could make your cars quite a bit faster; if you want me to send them along, let me know - I've already had a couple entants ask for some advice, which I am more than happy to provide.

Kilonum posted:

Right, I'm doing two more rebuilds tonight after work. My group C is safe from getting cut (with the limited competition in that class, it will pick up an occasional class podium when the others have issues), however it is going to get some work to try to improve lap times

What do you mean, "when they have issues"?!

*looks at the pools of melted turbocharger under my entries*

Oh, yeah...

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

MrChips posted:

Specifically for your entries slothrop, there are a couple of really simple tweaks that could make your cars quite a bit faster; if you want me to send them along, let me know - I've already had a couple entants ask for some advice, which I am more than happy to provide.

Oh, yeah...

Any advice you have to give would be very gratefully received!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

Torque curves are important, as well as gearing and a number of other factors. An engine that makes all of its power up high, and has has a narrow band between the torque peak and power peak might actually be slower than a car with a wider spread. Also, gearing is important; any time you change the engine you really do need to adjust your gear ratio spacing and top speed.

Also, the shape of your engine power curve is very important too; ideally, you want the engine to rev a ways past peak power, ideally to the highest possible performance index (the number at the top of the stats block in the upper left of the engine design tabs). This way, when the car upshifts it starts much higher in the power curve in the higher gear than if the engine revved to peak power and that's it.

What do you mean, "when they have issues"?!

*looks at the pools of melted turbocharger under my entries*

Oh, yeah...

Part of the reason I don't have turbos in my cars (also I could never get them to have a decent HP/fuel burn ratio)

Also, if you have any advice for my Group C and B that would be great, I've already given up on A (so you can pull it unless you want to waiver it for whatever reason)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

EDIT: Oh wow a rare double post

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Well thanks to the good advice from MrChips, I've revised my cars once again. I'm hoping they make it through scruitineering as Automation crashed halfway through and lost a bunch of what I had done previously. Some of the things I had missed were eye-rollingly simple after they were explained to me!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So, this circus upped stakes and headed to sunny, warm central Florida, for the last-pre-season test before the SASC-89 season begins on Monday:

Things have been shook up already - Victorian Hooray put their tremendous straight-line performance to good use here on the banking, and the Flamarbol team made huge gains in the intervening time between the last mock race and this one; even though the official timing shows the car a lap down, in reality they only *just* missed out on being on the lead lap with FISH and CMW by the narrowest of margins.

Also, the weather forecasts for the first five rounds of the season are as follows:

An interesting mixed bag of weather - sunny and hot in Daytona, cool and cloudy at Sebring, hot, muggy and humid in Rio, likely rainy and cool in Buenos Aires and fair at Elkhart Lake.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Woohoo, Looking forward to the season proper starting! Made a couple more tweaks to the cars to hopefully get that last 1-2% out of them top speed wise. Kinda regretting not having a go at another class as well, to be fair it probably would have steepened the learning curve even more.

Thanks again MrChips for being such a gracious host(?)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just made some changes to my group B. Ran it on Daytona. The standing start time was faster than its fastest lap from the test day :dogbutton:

Meanwhile, I've somehow turned the engine from my Group C entry into a flaming pile of dogshit. Have not yet touched Group A

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kilonum posted:

Just made some changes to my group B. Ran it on Daytona. The standing start time was faster than its fastest lap from the test day :dogbutton:

Meanwhile, I've somehow turned the engine from my Group C entry into a flaming pile of dogshit. Have not yet touched Group A

Is it possible to test on the real world tracks in game?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slothrop posted:

Is it possible to test on the real world tracks in game?

Yes it is!

The Automation forums have you covered here.

http://discourse.automationgame.com/c/sharing/test-track-sharing-forum

There are a bunch of tracks in this challenge and the last one I did that aren't in here...Before you ask, yes I made them too and yes, I will be uploading them to the Automation forums (and here in a track pack) at some point, but :effort:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

And all four entries in. Will do a post with screengrabs and flavor text this weekend

EDIT:

MrChips posted:

well now there is one with the changes I made to my group C

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 18, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Everyone's latest revisions have been entered; all the latest scrutineering reports are in your Dropboxes. I am somewhat pleased and consternated to report that Kilonum has passed a magical milestone with his Prototype entry...I may have to respond, but perhaps not until Week 2.

You have until tomorrow at 2359 GMT (6:59 PM Eastern Time) to get your revisions and pit strategies in for Week 1 of the season. After that, revisions will be restricted on the points system, and they along with any new pit strategies will not appear until Week 2.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I fixed the noncompliance issue with my group A, it also gave a small power boost just by changing the exhaust note

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cross-posting from my Automation thread in Games:

quote:

So with SASC-89 well under way now, I am brainstorming some ideas for my next Automation challenge - and don't worry, the turnaround on this challenge will be much less than the year between this and the previous challenge!

While the GT racing has proven to be quite a fun format so far, I am kind of leaning towards something radically different for the next challenge. At the moment, I am kind of kicking around the idea of a rallycross-type challenge, but that's just one of about half a dozen ideas I have come up with, some of them even incorporating non-racing elements in them. If any of you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

If you guys have any ideas about what you'd like to see in the next Automation challenge(s), head on over to the other thread and post them there!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SASC-89, Week 1 Preview

Competitors in the SASC-89 Championship will need to hit the ground running in this first week of competition, with some of the fastest and most dangerous tracks in the entire circuit making up the first five events.

Daytona 24 Hours

The first round starts under the late January sun in Florida, at the historic Daytona International Speedway. This track is unique in the SASC-89 Championship, being the only so-called "roval" track, sharing part of the banked stock-car circuit, as well as a sweeping infield road course. Speeds are high and brakes are pushed to their very limits here; expect lots of overtaking into the Bus Stop section half way around the banked track.

Sebring 12 Hours

Round two goes just three hours driving to the south, at Sebring International Raceway. This track will challenge cars and drivers alike with the notoriously rough surface pounding the cars to pieces and upsetting the suspension and aero at every corner; fast straights and tight corners will make for lots of overtaking opportunities.

Rio de Janeiro 6 Hours

The SASC heads south to sunny and hot Brazil for the first of two South American stops in the championship. The Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet, newly renamed after the mercurial three-time Formula One world champion, boasts long, flat straights and sweeping, medium and high-speed corners, favouring cars with lots of horsepower and downforce. The race is expected to be well-attended by a boisterous crowd, as it falls on the Carnival long weekend.

Buenos Aires 6 Hours

Round 4 of the SASC marks the return of professional motorsport to Argentina, having been absent for the last eight years on account of low interest, the Falklands War, civil unrest and a rapidly worsening economy. In spite of this, the teams are looking forward to racing on one of the fastest circuits in the championship; the Autodromo Juan y Oscar Galvez boasts long high-speed straights and sweeping corners, where horsepower and momentum are everything.

Road America 6 Hours

The end of this first week of the championship brings us deep into rural Wisconsin for the six-hour race at the challenging Road America circuit. Dubbed by some as "America's Nurburgring", this heavily forested track poses many challenges to cars and drivers alike, with fast straights, sweeping corners, tight chicanes and elevation changes, this track has a little of everything in its layout. Expect an exciting race!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

WAR OF ATTRITION: CMW Scores A Narrow Win Overall, Flamarbol Has A Huge Day At Daytona Opener

DAYTONA - In a thrilling and brutally challenging race under sweltering conditions, CMW drew the first blood of the 1989 SASC season, their #4 prototype winning a narrow victory over the #5 and #6 NEMW entries, both of them less than half a lap behind the #4 CMW after two sweeps of the clock. This feat was all the more incredible considering that lead #3 CMW prototype exited the race very early, having completed just a single lap before the engine failed spectacularly along the back straight.

The CMW prototype was also joined on the podium by the German-Canadian company's Group C entry, the #61 976 3.8 RSR finishing 662 laps in what was otherwise an unremarkable race for that team. Like the prototype, the sister #62 car experienced a race-ending engine failure in the overnight hours, just shy of the halfway mark. Unremarkable, on the other hand, cannot be used to describe Victorian Hooray Racing's first race of the year, with both the #37 and #38 V12 Specials crashing in the first two hours. Ultimately, these accidents cost the team the class victory, as the margin of victory over the second-place #38 was less than the time it spent being repaired in the garage, and the #37 finishing fifth in class. NEMW was able to capitalise on the weaknesses of both CMW and VH Racing, the #51 Assabet GT-R cruising to an easy third place in class; the sister #50 car was plagued with reliability problems all race long and finished fourth in class.

Group B was a battle of attrition, with nearly every car in the class being involved in an accident or having a mechanical failure at some point during the race. Ultimately, the #12 Flamarbol GrB came out on top, in spite of a twenty-minute visit to the garage in the fifth hour after that car found the oil slick left behind by the #17 LATOY RM2000, that car having just experienced a race-ending engine failure a couple laps prior - a fate that also befell the sister #16 RM2000 in the wee hours of the morning. Flamarbol's sister entry struggled with tricky handling all race and crashed on two separate occasions, ultimately finishing fourth in class in spite of this. NEMW was able to overcome lengthy accident repairs to both entries, the #53 and #52 cars finishing second and fifth in class respectively. In third place, the #88 Automurdermotive Fiasco Furiouso was the only car in the class to avoid any sort of incident in their campaign, thus reaping the reward for their careful driving and attentive preparations for the race.

Group A was the direct contract to the other classes, the race among these cars being relatively clean and trouble-free. Ultimately, the #2 FISH Aluvera R0 crossed the line first in class, the Hispano-Italian team's car enjoying a substantial lead over second and third place Flamarbol as the flag dropped. The sister #1 car was not so lucky, its engine letting go in spectacular fashion in the second hour of the race, necessitating a lengthy caution to clean up the mess left behind by the stricken car. CMW finished fourth and fifth in class, the 976 3.5 RS struggling to match the straight-line speed of both the FISH and the Flamarbol cars ahead of them. Automurdermotive's V12 Fiascos came sixth and eighth in class, their tiny, high-revving V12 engines delighting the crowds with a soundtrack reminiscent of a Formula One car of a decade past. NEMW had a challenging race, their Hoosic SE-Rs struggling with overheating issues under the hot Florida sun, which ultimately led to the demise of the #55 car just as the light started to break on the horizon overnight. LATOY finished ninth and tenth in class, running a clean, if uneventful race, avoiding the issues that plagued their rivals NEMW, earning them a healthy lead over the New England-based team in the Constructor Championship standings.

Prototype Winner: #4 CRT-CMW Turbo (Overall Winner)

Second Place: #6 CRT-NEMW Neponset
Third Place: #5 CRT-NEMW Neponset

Group C Winner: #61 CMW 976 3.8 RSR

Second Place: #38 VH Racing V12 Special
Third Place: #51 NEMW Assabet GT-R

Group B Winner: #12 Flamarbol GrB

Second Place: #53 NEMW Merrimack GT-R
Third Place: #88 Automurdermotive Fiasco Furiouso

Group A Winner: #2 FISH Aluvera R0

Second Place: #21 Flamarbol GrA
Third Place: #20 Flamarbol GrB

Race Results

Constructor Championship (Click for big)

Revision Point Status

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

DELUGED - NEMW, VH Racing Win Big In Waterlogged Sebring Race

SEBRING - After a chaotic opening round in Daytona, the teams all looked forward to a quieter, less challenging second round just down the road at Sebring. Mother Nature, on the other hand, had other plans; the weather was dark, cool and overcast at the start of the race. By one in the afternoon, the skies opened up and indundated the track, the heavy rain only lightening up briefly in the ninth hour. The race continued nonetheless, with the cars fighting the rough, slippery concrete surface, standing water and cool temperatures as much as each other. When the chequered flag dropped at 9PM, both CRT-NEMW Neponset prototypes were there to take the class and overall victory, the winning #6 car covering 325 laps at an average speed of 178.727 kilometres per hour. Two laps back from the winners, the #3 CRT-CMW Turbo rounded out the Prototype-class podium.

In Group C, VH Racing was finally able to show their fine form, sweeping the top two spots in class and shutting the door on the two CMW 976s, both of them finishing two laps back of the V12 Specials. Bother NEMW Assabet GT-Rs struggled considerably in the challenging conditions, that car's huge power proving to be as much a liability as a benefit on the wet concrete.

The same cannot be said about NEMW's Group B entries, with the #53 Merrimack GT-R notching the team's first win of the season in dramatic fashion, finishing barely a minute up on the two Flamarbol GrBs. Had the #52 not crashed heavily in the fifth hour, NEMW would have cut Flamarbol's lead in half in the Constructor Championship. Automurdermotive showed fine form one again, the #89 finishing fourth in class. The lead #88 car was at one point running as high as third in class, but an untimely spin at Sunset Corner sent that car into the barrier and to the garage for repairs. LATOY ran a competent race, experiencing none of the difficulties that hampered their Daytona race and notching their first Constructor points of the season.

True to their name, FISH took to the wet conditions with aplomb, absolutely dominating their rivals in Group A for their second win of the season, the #1 Aluvera finishing five laps ahead of the #21 Flamarbol GrA. Along with their sister #20 car, the team battled tooth and nail with NEMW for third through sixth place; only in the last half hour, when the #55 Hoosic SE-R ground to a halt with engine failure, did the #54 slow down to preserve the position. CMW finished a lap back of the Flamarbols and the remaining NEMW, a noticeable tension filling the garage with yet another disappointing finish. Automurdermotive finished eighth and ninth in class, running a quiet, uneventful race, finishing nine laps off the pace as their car struggled with its speed and acceleration. LATOY brought up the rear, but with both TM2000s finishing again, they opened up their lead over NEMW in the Constructor Championship, proving once again that it is just as important to finish as it is to place well.

Prototype Winner: #6 CRT-NEMW Neponset (Overall Winner)

Second Place: #5 CRT-NEMW Neponset
Third Place: #3 CRT-CMW Turbo

Group C Winner: #38 VH Racing V12 Special

Second Place: #37 VH Racing V12 Special
Third Place: #62 CMW 976 3.8 REAR

Group B Winner: #53 NEMW Merrimack GT-R

Second Place: #12 Flamarbol GrB
Third Place: #11 Flamarbol GrB

Group A Winner: #1 FISH Aluvera R0

Second Place: #2 FISH Aluvera R0
Third Place: #21 Flamarbol GrA

Race Results:

Constructor Standings (Click for bigger):

Current Revision Points:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
wooooooo Racecars! I've never been so exciting about something imaginary before. GO Team

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Wow. I had hoped to do far better at Daytona than I did. Pleasantly surprised by the Sebring results.
Looking forward to the next 3 tracks. Home turf is Road America.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Woops, forgot to compensate for the higher engine temps that came with more power on my group A entry.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SAMBA SCHOOL - CMW, VH And Flamarbol Dance To Victory In Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO - CMW put on a show of force this evening at the Autodromo Nacional Nelson Piquet, with the #4 CRT-CMW Turbo taking the overall and Prototype win, and the #83 and 84 976 3.5Rs sweeping the top two spots in Group A, the team regaining some of the form seemingly lost in the first two rounds of the SASC-89 Championship. Not that the #4 was able to cruise to victory easily here this deliriously wild Brazilian night, with both NEMW prototypes finishing within sight of the Silver Dart. CMW's second prototype finished a lap back in fourth place, having been involved in a messy accident on the first lap of the race, involving both the #61 CMW 976 Group C car and the #21 Flamarbol Group A. In spite of this incident, likely caused by the #3 upsetting over the tall curbs going into Girao corner, all three cars got away with only minor damage and were able to continue on in the race.

Group C had VH Racing making their second 1-2 finish in a row, sweeping the top two podium spots in a decisive victory over CMW and NEMW, finishing a lap ahead of the third-place #62 976 and three laps ahead of the fifth-place #50 Assabet GT-R; the #51was nowhere to be seen, having had an accident shortly after the caution cleared on the fourteenth lap, then expiring in a cloud of smoke just coming up on the fifth hour of the race.

Flamarbol once again dominated Group B, finishing 1-2 for their second victory of the season, two laps up on rivals NEMW. Group B proved themselves to be the gentlemanly racers of the lot this evening, with all eight cars in in the class finishing the race without so much as a hint of trouble. Automurdermotive cruised to an easy fifth and sixth place in class, six laps back of their rivals LATOY, who were sporting a new look this race, who carried the logos of SASC's new European broadcast partner, Eurosport.

Group A was once again the hardest-fought class of all, even with the top four cars in the Constructor Championship stricken by accident or failure. CMW finished on top, sweeping the top two spots in class, followed closely by NEMW, who notched their first double finish and their first podium of the season, with the #55 Hoosic SE-R on the bottom step. FISH, leading the Constructor Championship in Group A, was shark-bit this weekend, with the #2 car going out with engine failure at the midpoint of the race, and the #1 car involved with a sloppy accident as the last hour dawned. Likewise, both Flamarbols were involved in racing incidents; the aforementioned #21 getting caught up in the first-lap incident, and the #20 car crashing heavily with less than an hour to go. In spite of the valiant efforts of the Flamarbol mechanics, racing against the clock to get the #20 car back on track, they had simply lost too much time and finished well back in ninth place. LATOY too struggled with speed and engine problems on this fast, winding circuit, the #18 TM2000 grinding to a halt halfway home, and the #19 struggling to keep their speed up around this challenging circuit.

Prototype Winner: #4 CRT-CMW Turbo (Overall Winner)

Third Place: #6 CRT-NEMW Neponset

Second Place: #37 VH Racing V12 Special
Third Place: #62 CMW 976 3.8 RSR

Second Place: #11 Flamarbol GrB
Third Place: #53 NEMW Merrimack GT-R

Group A Winner: #84 CMW 976 3.5 R

Second Place: #83 CMW 976 3.5 R
Third Place: #55 NEMW Hoosic SE-R

Race Results:

Constuctor Standings (click for big):

Revision Points Status:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 23, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Oh, and neglectful that I was, here are next week's weather forecasts:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm gonna have to fix that engine reliability...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

simplefish posted:

I'm gonna have to fix that engine reliability...

Yup; then again, so does everyone else it seems.

I am pleased with the fact that everyone in this challenge, no matter how fast or slow your entries are, seems to have their work cut out for them one way or another going forward.

I mean, imagine my surprise when I come out of testing on top of the leaderboard, only to find my entries are midpack at best when the action begins...

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Oh man I missed by a week, too bad the rules looked fun.

KRG will one day rule the podiums again, in the trademark eye searing matte orange.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PALPABLE TENSION - NEMW Cruises To Dominant Victory In Argentina As Tempers Flare On And Off The Track

BUENOS AIRES - NEMW absolutely dominated the field at the Autodromo Juan y Oscar Galvez this afternoon, the #6 CRT-NEMW Neponset securing an easy victory over both Prototype CMWs on this cool, rainy afternoon, marred by poor attendance and clashes with the police outside the confines of the racetrack. Largely seen as a pet project of Argentine President Raul Alfonsin, the race had been derided in the weeks and months leading up to it as an expensive and needless extravagance in the face of crushing economic troubles in the country. Security was high around the track, and the threat of unrest kept fans away as much as the poor weather.

In spite of the issues off-track, the race proceeded regardless, with no shortage of drama on-track either. On the first lap, both VH Racing cars got into one another through Tobogan, causing a massive pileup involving no fewer than five cars, with the #11 Flamarbol GrB getting the worst of it by far. In spite of the first-lap crash, the #38 V12 Special went on to win Group C, finishing a lap ahead of the #62 CMW 976, the #61 retiring on the hundredth lap with a spectacular engine failure. NEMW took the last points in the class, finishing fourth and fifth in class.

Flamarbol won again in Group B, the #12 car taking their third win of the season, and the team's third win as well. NEMW swept the final two podium spots, running a clean and uneventful race amongst all the chaos. The #88 Fiasco Furiouso finished fourth in class, a lap ahead of both LATOYs, the #89 struggling all day to stay on track.

FISH made their third 1-2 finish in Group A, winning handily over the third place #20 Flamarbol GrA; their sister car wasn't so lucky, though, crashing hard as the rain started to fall during the second hour. CMW finished well back of the first three, the team expected to deploy a chassis improvement package for both 976 variants when the series returns to Europe for Round 6 at Estoril. Further back in Group A, arguably the battle of the race was for sixth through tenth, with both NEMWs and Automurdermotives trading places and paint all race long. In the end, NEMW was just able to pip the Fiasco V12s, that race essentially being won only when Automurdermotive went for their twelfth and final pit stop, to NEMW's eleven. LATOY rounded out the field again, both cars finishing in the points to help maintain their lead over NEMW in the Constructor Standings.

Second Place: #3 CRT-CMW Turbo
Third Place: #4 CRT-CMW Turbo

Second Place: #62 CMW 976 3.8 RSR
Third Place: #50 NEMW Assabet GT-R

Second Place: #52 NEMW Merrimack GT-R
Third Place: #53 NEMW Merrimack GT-R

Third Place: #20 Flamarbol GrA

Race Results:

Constructor Standings (click for big):

Current Revision Point Status:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

First race where only one of my prototypes was on the podium :(

Group A revision is in the dropbox

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

HOME SWEET HOME - NEMW Win, VH Racing Delights Home Crowd At Road America

ELKHART LAKE - NEMW took their third class and overall win of the season this afternoon at Road America, finishing well ahead of CMW under the unseasonably warm conditions here at this historic circuit deep in rural Wisconsin. The paddock and press boxes alike were abuzz about the news that CMW was testing a "revolutionary and unorthodox new engine" in a CRT-89 chassis earlier in the week at their high-performance powertrain development centre in West Germany. It remains to be seen indeed if or when they are able to deploy this new engine, especially in the face of declining sales of CMW cars worldwide, and the impending launch of the 990 road car.

In Group C, VH Racing put on a stunning display of performance, winning their class handily in front of thousands of VH employees, brought specially by the company to witness the race. This made for a particularly jubilant celebration at the trophy presentation, and in the garages and hospitality tents well into the early hours of the morning. CMW notched their fifth podium of the season, the #62 976 finishing third ahead of their teammates in the #61 car. This allowed CMW to close the gap in the Group C Constructor Championship, with only 31 points separating the team from rival NEMW, who struggled once again to keep pace with the class leaders.

Flamarbol made it three in a row in Group B, running a clean and uneventful race ahead of the NEMW Merrimacks, who finished two and four laps down on the leaders, the #53 car having been involved in yet another first-lap racing incident involving several cars. SASC officials are reported to be "very disappointed" at this development, and over the break before the season resumes in Europe have summoned all the drivers and team principals to a meeting at the series' headquarters in London to discuss the issue.

In Group A, FISH took the top step for the fourth time this season, after a close and hard-fought battle with the two CMWs, the Germans finishing barely a minute behind the Hispano-Italian team. Flamarbol struggled with handing and speed on this challenging circuit, finishing a disappointing fifth and tenth in class, the #21 car having a major failure of its underbody aerodynamics early in the race. NEMW finished sixth and seventh in class, battling high engine temperatures all race long as their cars fought to stay ahead of the sole contending Automurdermotive Fiasco V12, its sister car being involved in the accident on the first lap and finishing well out of contention. NEMW is confident that their cooling problems are a thing of the past, having spent countless hours refining the Hoosic SE-R in the wind tunnel and on their test track in the northeastern United States, and are hopeful that the team will no longer face these issues as the series swings to Europe for the next round. LATOY managed to cling to their lead on NEMW this afternoon as well, with a surprise finish in ninth place in class. Going forward, we see a hard-fought battle brewing for the top three spots in Group A, with only thirteen points between first-place FISH and third-place Flamarbol, and only 135 points between the leader and fourth-place Automurdermotive as well - with the season not even a quarter of the way over, there is a lot of opportunity for both great success and crushing failure alike.

Third Place: #3 CRT-CMW Turbo

Group C Winner: #37 VH Racing V12 Special

Second Place: #38 VH Racing V12 Special
Third Place: #62 CMW 976 3.8 RSR

Second Place: #11 Flamarbol GrB
Third Place: #52 NEMW Merrimack GT-R

Third Place: #83 CMW 976 3.5 R

Race Results:

Constructor Standings (Click for big):

Revision Points Status:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Victorian Hoorays: The party raged well into the early hours of the next morning. When the lads left the track and went down town to Siebkins and The Brown Bear. A few found themselves at a small farmstead outside the town of Chilton where a friendly Scotsman swapped stories about his youth and showed off his small collection of antiques , restorations, and racers will they slowly slipped tumblers of Black Grouse. As the sun broke the mans doting wife came out with cups of coffee and tea and asked how many were ready for breakfast.

When the team, and the employees, sober up they'll realize there is a long road ahead of them and some will wonder and worry about the rivalry between the two teams. There will be whispers that the Scotsman might be asked to turn a wheel in the 37 car in place of one of the other drives who is rumored to be having some marital troubles that may be affecting his temper on track.

Edit:
The boffins in the garage at Victorian Hoorays Racing have produced a 4.7L V6 Twin Turbo motor that is producing 450hp, 462ft/lbs of torque at a fuel sipping 413.8g/kWh. It is pushing a 1330.9 kg test mule around the Automation Test Track at 2:12 with little less than 30 seconds put into fiddling with suspension. (It's only 3 weeks into the season and I managed to make a Group B car... jezuz. We'll be looking at Group B next time.... next time...)

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 26, 2017

• Locked thread