Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:siren: FREE EPISODE :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-8280857

The Rania Khalek episode was reposted free to the public. It's a great interview about the current state of the war in Syria, and how it's affected the Druze community in particular. They also talked about how Michael Weiss tried to get her and all the other journalists going to Aleppo killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I had actually watched that Yugoslavia documentary years ago but didn't really get it because I was completely ignorant about that area of the world. The latest episode helped put a lot of that conflict into perspective and I'm actually gonna rewatch that doc soon

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

ive been working my way through that yugoslavia documentary and its really good, i have no idea if anything better has come a long since it was first shown but it seems like a pretty good introduction to the topic

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I listen to Radio War Nerd to hear Will Menaker's foreign policy takes two weeks before he says them on Chapo.

But for real I've been reading Dolan's stuff since high school and enjoy it. I have a mixed view on Ames as a person and a writer, but as a host he does a pretty good job.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Will's given credit to John Dolan before.

Scent of Worf posted:

I had actually watched that Yugoslavia documentary years ago but didn't really get it because I was completely ignorant about that area of the world. The latest episode helped put a lot of that conflict into perspective and I'm actually gonna rewatch that doc soon

I knew the Croats were dickheads before, but I didn't know that they briefly betrayed Bosnian Muslims and were putting them in concentration camps.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah he follows Dolan's Brecher account on facebook.

I spent a few days in Sarajevo this past summer, but without a lot of knowledge of the conflict besides the broad strokes. As a tourist you're inundated with stuff about the siege. They're still living the consequences of the war and the memories are still fresh. There's not a lot of hope for the future amongst the youth - I heard 65% unemployment while I was there, the internet says 57% as of a couple years ago - and pretty much every building is still pocked with shrapnel. It's such a stark contrast with Croatia-the-EU-member and its polished coastal party-tourist economy. Sausalito may not have been great digs for a farmer 200 years ago, but the Bosnians I spoke to certainly seemed a bit envious of the current situation. There also seemed to be quite a fair amount of nostalgia for communism amongst the older crowd, while a lot of younger people felt that tourism is likely the most realistic chance for economic development. They're right, too. It's a great place to visit.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Rania Khalek episode was reposted free to the public. It's a great interview about the current state of the war in Syria, and how it's affected the Druze community in particular. They also talked about how Michael Weiss tried to get her and all the other journalists going to Aleppo killed.

She tweeted this out a few days back and has been getting a surprising amount of flak:

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/835591377459236865

Somehow I spent 4 years on Twitter without encountering the unironic pro-Wahhabi/Salafist "left," I really wish I could have kept that streak going.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Mar 1, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Somehow I spent 4 years on Twitter without encountering the unironic pro-Wahhabist/Salafist "left," I really wish I could have kept that streak going.

They're all terminally stupid.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wonder how many writers there are out there like Dolan who struggle (until recently) to get by because what they say pisses off people with the power to hurt them. I recall he wrote part one of a two part piece about genocide in East Timor but never managed to write part two because someone (an Aussie diplomat I think?) sent people to gently caress with him and he had to leave the country.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ames was a genuinely poo poo person. Brave (thanks to massive doses of drugs and not giving a gently caress) A good writer and a decent collector of the types you need for a ragtag band of talented alt-paper guys, but not someone you'd want around in polite company. He's had sex with underage hookers, thrown horse sperm pies in the face of apparatchiks and spent some 5-6 years in a crazy daze trying to one-up Hunter Thompson in a disintegrating former superpower.

He's gotten a lot better after Putin closed his paper and kicked him out. Calmed down, gotten married, had a kid, lost the Edgelord-bro vibe. If that is enough for you to heed his opinions, that's up to you. I can understand writing him off as a creep. He is very committed to afflicting the comfortable, picks his targets very well in the current context, and clearly cares a lot for Dr. Dolan. His book 'Going Postal' is a harrowing good read.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/vinterflamma/status/835829121259286528

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"I'm not here to educate you" is the most obvious tell on the internet.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Can someone repost his newsletter rebutting Gutman's article? I wish he would just publish that somewhere but then I'd probably have to shell out for it too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The War Nerd elite get a first taste. :smug:

They're promising to get it published in public, or else it doesn't really count.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The one thing I came away with from this ep is that everyone is lying about Syria lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"I'm not here to educate you" is the most obvious tell on the internet.

it's understandable if brusque if some rando is talking at you but coming at someone with a critique then refusing to answer an elementary question about it is some heroic sloganmongering

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have managed to get over my initial disappointment that John Dolan did not sound like I imagined Gary Brecher to sound, and I'm liking this podcast a whole hell of a lot. Only on my sixth episode, but I foresee myself working my way back through these things. :thumbsup:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I have to set aside some time so I can pay full attention to the Robert Parry episode, because I'm not retaining everything but what I do makes me insanely mad.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Seriously nuts. I'm glad ames and dolan covered a lot of the broad strokes before because it's making the whole picture much clearer when Parry lays it out. Nixon makes so much more sense now.

Mega lol that Trump's "but they wiretapped me!" strategy has precedent.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spime Wrangler posted:

Seriously nuts. I'm glad ames and dolan covered a lot of the broad strokes before because it's making the whole picture much clearer when Parry lays it out. Nixon makes so much more sense now.

Mega lol that Trump's "but they wiretapped me!" strategy has precedent.

I appreciate them confirming what I thought, that LBJ kept Nixon's ratfucking of the peace negotiations under wraps because he thought America couldn't handle it.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/preview-radio-ep-8532778

They just posted up a 24-minute preview, which is the first part of the Parry interview. They talk about how he investigated & broke the Iran-Contra story, and go a bit into how journalism began compromising itself in the 80s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
*puts on tinfoil hat*

A lot of the stuff in the episode about why Nixon acted in the brazen way that he did he did and why Johnson protected him 1968 becomes less inexplicable if you entertain the notion that Nixon and Johnson shared a mutual secret, perhaps related to "that bay of pigs thing".

:tinfoil:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I already hated Nixon and Reagan. That interview made me hate them more.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Radio War Nerd EP #77—Britain's Collusion With Reactionary Islamism "

I can't get enough perfidiouis Albion bashing

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i cant seem to find this podcast on the apple podcast search

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i cant seem to find this podcast on the apple podcast search

It's subscriber-only. You get an RSS URL in the newsletter.

It's worth it, though. And it might be the only thing keeping the guy alive. :)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Saying it's subscriber only isn't entirely accurate. It's all on Patreon, but they do repost some episodes for free to non-patrons.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I found the subscriber feed in a podcast app without having to pay anything for it (this also works for the Chapo premium episodes, there's nothing secured about the actual URL) but I like both the shows enough to pay for them anyway

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Maybe I'm just brainwashed by the mainstream media, but Mark Ames seems super-negative towards anyone who says bad things about Russia, including the Bellingcat people.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
mark ames raped a drunk, pregnant 15 year old, and bragged about it

in fact when he found out she was 15 he decided he had to have her

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well yeah, no one's going to argue with that, Mark Ames has a disgusting past, much like you do

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

mark ames raped a drunk, pregnant 15 year old, and bragged about it

in fact when he found out she was 15 he decided he had to have her

According to him this was all fiction.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

prefect posted:

Maybe I'm just brainwashed by the mainstream media, but Mark Ames seems super-negative towards anyone who says bad things about Russia, including the Bellingcat people.

Ames had his business literally shut down by Putin, so it's hard to imagine he's a Kremlin shill.

He -does- take issue with neocon war boosters and think-tank kreminologists hyping the latest Russia scandal to get a new Cold War going now that the GWOT is losing steam. Michael Weiss, in particular, but also a few others. Both he and Taibbi have horror stories about the russian government for days, but tend to draw the line at the "We should DO something about these evil soviets" talk, and that's enough to get them both ostracized.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sephyr posted:

Ames had his business literally shut down by Putin, so it's hard to imagine he's a Kremlin shill.

He -does- take issue with neocon war boosters and think-tank kreminologists hyping the latest Russia scandal to get a new Cold War going now that the GWOT is losing steam. Michael Weiss, in particular, but also a few others. Both he and Taibbi have horror stories about the russian government for days, but tend to draw the line at the "We should DO something about these evil soviets" talk, and that's enough to get them both ostracized.

In either the latest RWN episode or the one about the Crimean War (those were the ones I listened to today), he said it was actually Medvedev that shut him down. (He pronounces it "Medvyedev".)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

prefect posted:

In either the latest RWN episode or the one about the Crimean War (those were the ones I listened to today), he said it was actually Medvedev that shut him down. (He pronounces it "Medvyedev".)

Regardless of how you spell it the guy was an obvious Putin puppet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thug Lessons posted:

Regardless of how you spell it the guy was an obvious Putin puppet.

Oh, no argument on that point.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

According to him this was all fiction.

im sure the years he spent writing about loving russian prostitutes was all fiction too

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
oh hey what do we have here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ames treated prostitutes with more humanity than you treat your tenants.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

oh hey what do we have here

That doesn't say she was pregnant when he had sex with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
That same page you quote also contains this passage:

quote:

Children are my worst nightmare-worse than worst. I'd rather wind up in a Hutu death camp than father a child. My aversion to children is religious: I hate the way they look, the gurgling sounds they make, and the time and money that they require, time and money that I don't have.

Which is strange coming from a guy who is happily married with a family now. Ames says the book was an exaggeration and and written to be a gonzo HST-style ripoff. You can either take him at his word, or not. In either case, I don't see how it affects his subsequent reporting and analysis.

One thing I've always wondered about is the nature of his falling-out with Taibbi. For years, he wouldn't mention him when he was talking about his Exile days in Moscow which was a little weird. Only in the last few months has Taibbi's name come up in his stories.

Nothus has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Apr 2, 2017