Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Central Asian history is really neat and you basically never learn about any of it unless you specifically study it so it's cool to get a deep dive into it with these uighur eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Yeah I'm really glad for these asian history eps. About to listen to the second Uighur one now.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everybody loves Carl Zha.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I know they're a bit rambling, but I'm really liking the interviews with Carl Zha. Can't wait for them to do one about the attempted Tang conquest of Korea.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nothus posted:

I know they're a bit rambling, but I'm really liking the interviews with Carl Zha. Can't wait for them to do one about the attempted Tang conquest of Korea.

I'm looking forward to that, because I enjoy giggling like an idiot. :blush:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Carl Zha owns. I love this podcast.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Not ashamed to admit the only thing Zha spoke of that I've heard of is the Mandate of Heaven because it's the name of the recent Europa Universalis DLC.

He's really great at capturing a scene and Ames and Dolan bounce off him well.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Mark needs to go on Chapo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol I don't know if it was nerves or drugs but this week's episode wasn't very good.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Carl Zha... goddamn.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The last two episodes were really drat good.

Episode 85 is an interview with William Hogeland about his new book on America's first Indian War in 1790, which was a conflict in which the Indian Confederation actually won a few battles and destroyed the first official American Army.

There's even a 23 minute preview up. https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/patreon-posts/14872325247338523836.mp3

Episode 86 has two interviews. Flint Arthur is a member of Friends of Rojava and talks about being there when Erdogan sicced his goons on Kurdish protesters. Then they talk to Max Blumenthal about the Manchester bombing being blowback from Western policy of ME regime change, and how Western intelligence agencies seem to have a duplicitous interest in supporting territorial Islamic States in the ME where they're fighting enemies of the West and Israel, while fighting the "international ISIS" which is actually carrying out attacks in Western nations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm reading Hogeland's The Whiskey Rebellion and find it accessible and enjoyable, though because I'm economically illiterate I can't understand some of the financial stuff I assume is being put very simply.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I finally caught up for the first time ever, and then right as I caught up a new pod came out today. :v:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The new pod is also really good. Richard Kim talks about the little-known-in-the-West wars where the north Korean kingdom of Goguryeo destroyed one of the mightiest Chinese armies ever assembled. Then the rest is the usual depressing rear end Middle East news that will make you want to kill yourself.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I've always wondered why the North Koreans refer to themselves and their language as "Choson" while the South Koreans talk about "Han". It's a nuance totally lost on most Westerners. What a cool episode.

Edit. I'm looking forward to some background on the Qatar shitstorm, because Western news coverage has been poo poo at explaining what the gently caress is going on.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Well they're already blaming the scapegoating of Qatar on a fake news story in QNA planted by Russian hackers, so Mark is definitely going to talk about it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:siren: FREE EPISODE :siren:

Episode 85 with William Hogeland has been reposted free for non-patrons. If you'd like to know more about the litte known Northwest Indian War it's a must-listen.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/rwn-ep-85-repost-11653095

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
The guest on the latest war nerd kinda creeped me out. Elijah Magnier is a hardcore pro-regime guy and I really hope they don't end up going that route.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Thug Lessons posted:

The guest on the latest war nerd kinda creeped me out. Elijah Magnier is a hardcore pro-regime guy and I really hope they don't end up going that route.

Do you have any good examples of why his analysis is untrustworthy or should be viewed with particular suspicion?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Helsing posted:

Do you have any good examples of why his analysis is untrustworthy or should be viewed with particular suspicion?

I don't think he's necessarily untrustworthy. It's just that his opinions consistently come down as pro-regime and anti-everybody else.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think he's necessarily untrustworthy. It's just that his opinions consistently come down as pro-regime and anti-everybody else.

Considering the circumstances beng pro-regime is understandable. He seemed pretty fair to YPG in the interview so :shrug:.

It was a drat good episode.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah he was fairly explicit about mentioning who wants regime change and why. if he is as pro regime change as you say he is, i didn't hear much about that in the episode.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Considering the circumstances beng pro-regime is understandable. He seemed pretty fair to YPG in the interview so :shrug:.

It was a drat good episode.

ehh, i can understand his reasoning(most of the rebel groups now are just AQ/ISIS/turkesh puppets for various sects of wahabism and any other better groups are fighting isis or making new kurdistan) but i hate Assad with a loving passion and darkly hope him and his relatives get captured by ISIS somehow and i got tired of them talking about the lion of syria and how magical he is.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We're well aware of your weird lust for child murder.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but i hate Assad with a loving passion and darkly hope him and his relatives get captured by ISIS

perhaps it is you with the bias good sir

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NewForumSoftware posted:

perhaps it is you with the bias good sir

he has murdered thousands of his own people and has loving mass graves and camps right next to his palace. gently caress him

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We're well aware of your weird lust for child murder.

they will grow up to be as bad as he is, if not worse.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he has murdered thousands of his own people

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/09/new-study-finds-45000-deaths-annually-linked-to-lack-of-health-coverage/

at least Syria has UHC

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't really think so. He said they're basically going to be unable to govern and don't even have the support of most Kurds, let alone Arabs. He wasn't overtly hostile though.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Phone posted:

yeah he was fairly explicit about mentioning who wants regime change and why. if he is as pro regime change as you say he is, i didn't hear much about that in the episode.

Pro-regime, as in supporting the regime, not pro-regime change.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The media has done an amazing job of demonizing Assad as some sort of psychotic turbo-Hitler even though he's really just a run-of-the-mill dictator of the sort the US supports all over the place, and it's been so effective that I really don't see any hope of challenging it if they've already managed to brainwash someone.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't really think so. He said they're basically going to be unable to govern and don't even have the support of most Kurds, let alone Arabs. He wasn't overtly hostile though.

I think it's still an open question whether ethnic Arab areas would accept a Kurdish-lead (or at least Kurdish-backed) local government. Magnier is obviously more pessimistic than Western leftist opinions (including Dolan and Ames).

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/876490520251465728

Next episode sounds really good can't wait

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothus posted:

I think it's still an open question whether ethnic Arab areas would accept a Kurdish-lead (or at least Kurdish-backed) local government. Magnier is obviously more pessimistic than Western leftist opinions (including Dolan and Ames).

Because Democratic Confederalism revolves around local rule it's a lot easier for the YPD to de-essentialize the Kurdish character of Rojava as a political entity. Although, a lot of people aren't going to see it that way.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Because Democratic Confederalism revolves around local rule it's a lot easier for the YPD to de-essentialize the Kurdish character of Rojava as a political entity. Although, a lot of people aren't going to see it that way.

True. I think the Kurds have been extremely reasonable in re-branding as the SDF and trying to play up their inclusiveness of Arab groups. I hope it works, becuase it's basically the best bet for a non-lovely outcome for whatever state emerges out of the non-Alawite parts of Syria.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MisColle

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
War Nerd, with emphasis on the Nerd.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was hoping they'd dive into Africa, especially with the number of missions the US seems to be running covertly on the continent.

I'm way behind on the show, but the Carl Zha stuff has be--

lol

Because I'm a history dork I did enjoy the fact that Zha spent time on Chinese historiography, I'm always interested in how China's come to terms with its past through the Cultural Revolution to present day.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jun 22, 2017