Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Carl owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

*posts 700 words about interesting geopolitical incident that most people have never heard of, includes a bunch of photographs of the hardware and people involved, notes cultural influences and long-term impacts*

*caps it off with pre- and post-incident anthropomorphic battleship moe girls*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spime Wrangler posted:

*posts 700 words about interesting geopolitical incident that most people have never heard of, includes a bunch of photographs of the hardware and people involved, notes cultural influences and long-term impacts*

*caps it off with pre- and post-incident anthropomorphic battleship moe girls*

Pobody's nerfect. :shrug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

prefect posted:

Pobody's nerfect. :shrug:

buddy that is perfection

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

buddy that is perfection

Anime is haram.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

prefect posted:

Anime is haram.

Anime is the purest expression of Tawhid

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

buddy that is perfection

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
more carl zha on the first sino-japanese war.

what are carl's qualifications? is he just some big fan of history or what?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

more carl zha on the first sino-japanese war.

what are carl's qualifications? is he just some big fan of history or what?

According to his facebook page he's educated as an electrical engineer. I think he's just a Chinese history nerd who naturalized as an American, so he can relate things that even American scholars generally aren't aware of.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

According to his facebook page he's educated as an electrical engineer. I think he's just a Chinese history nerd who naturalized as an American, so he can relate things that even American scholars generally aren't aware of.

Cool! I appreciate his takes on the evolution of Chinese historiography, that's really interesting stuff and I'm glad they get into it because perspectives from within and outside China are, as you say, not exactly widely known.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I'd love to see Carl get into it on current events in China, idk if he's that up to speed on that though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Now that I remember Carl mentioned Cat poo poo One/Apocalypse Meow in the Sino-Japanese War episode. That manga was pretty tight.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Plutonis posted:

Now that I remember Carl mentioned Cat poo poo One/Apocalypse Meow in the Sino-Japanese War episode. That manga was pretty tight.

Cat poo poo One

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Really want to read Autumn of the Black Snake after hearing Hogeland talk about Mad Anthony Wayne, the man who was bad at everything in life except war who rode within pistol shooting distance of a British fort to insult everyone inside by 'inspecting' it up close.

If it's anything like The Whiskey Rebellion there are probably a bunch of colourful characters like that. That was a joy to read.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Big news everyone should know

:siren: THE SCI-FI AND FASCISM EPISODE IS NOW FREE! :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/rwn-ep-64-repost-12256665

quote:

The War Nerd and David Forbes have an intense inside-sci-fi-nerd discussion about how sci-fi became dominated by far-right politics and narratives, Heinlein, Philip K Dick, and the newer wave of sci-fi writers breaking out of the traditional molds . . .

IMO this has been the most interesting Radio War Nerd to date, even if it's not specifically about war. The big takeaway for me is that the reactionary tendencies we see in nerddom on the internet actually has deep roots in scifi & fantasy literature going back half a century.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That episode is really good, yeah. I don't know some of the authors they mention, but they do a good job of offering context and exploring why some decisions and themes were used the way they did.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's a really fun episode, Dolan and their guest are really enjoying themselves throughout.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Another good one in a similar vein is episode 51 where they respond to the Russia controversy by talking about a rightwing conspiracy novel from the Cold War called "The Spike". It's funny because they're both embarrassed that they were into it, both being pretty rightwing at the time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Carl Zha ftw lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Carl Zha ftw lmao

I loving love Carl Zha now

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Carl Zha ftw lmao

holy poo poo this rules

when is the three kingdoms episode

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Carl Zha ftw lmao

i love carl

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I can't wait for the episode where Carl explains moe anthropomorphization of boats/planes/etc.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
drat brown moses got sandblasted on the last ep

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
new nerd! and it looks sick

quote:

Guest: Amal Saad, author & professor

On the 11th anniversary of the pivotal 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war, the War Nerd talks to one of the great scholars on Hezbollah, Amal Saad—author of "Hizbu'llah: Politics and Religion" and professor of political science at the Lebanese University in Beirut. Hezbollah is perhaps the most powerful resistance movement in the world, and it remains a mystery to outsiders in the West. Hezbollah's victory in the 2006 war shocked Israel, the US and the world. We discuss the war, its effect on Lebanon politics, Hezbollah's role in the Syria and how it's helped or hurt them, and the history and politics of Hezbollah

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

holy poo poo this rules

when is the three kingdoms episode

:siren: it's happening :siren:

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/890201668800962560

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I need to reread Ravages of Time

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Playing the Snes game of Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a huge nostalgia trip for me. Used to stay way up late with my friends as a kid, bungling through history, setting battlefields on fire, throwing boulders down onto sieging armies. It was my first contact with non-european history.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

John Dolan on Jeet Heer: "I don't read that trash."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:siren: FREE EPISODE :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-13429180

They've just reposted the interview with Amal Saad, who is one of the few scholars on Hezbollah and the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah war.

quote:

Reposting the War Nerd's interview with Hezbollah scholar Amal Saad, author of "Hizbu'llah: Politics and Religion" and professor of political science at the Lebanese University in Beirut — recorded on the 11th anniversary of the 2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel. Hezbollah is perhaps the most powerful resistance movement in the world, and it remains a mystery to outsiders in the West. Hezbollah's victory in the 2006 war shocked Israel, the US and the world. We discuss the war, its effect on Lebanon politics, Hezbollah's role in the Syria and how it's helped or hurt them, and the history and politics of Hezbollah...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:siren: FREE EPISODE :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-13429180

They've just reposted the interview with Amal Saad, who is one of the few scholars on Hezbollah and the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah war.

Israel fought a war in 2006? And they lost?

Nobody tells me about things.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

prefect posted:

You had to be paying attention to the news at the time. Israel claims they met their objectives, but the fact of the matter is that they couldn't handle a protracted deployment and withdrew from southern Lebanon asap. Which means Hezbollah won by default.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

prefect posted:

Israel claims to have won by virtue of having the higher body count (no poo poo, they were basically carpet bombing everything south of Saida and mostly killed civilians) but they got a bloody nose and have been gearing up and training for a rematch ever since because it was an even worse showing than 82 and this time they couldn't exploit sectarian divisions.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The invasion of Gaza also showed that they're still not prepared for another offensive war against determined defenders.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah turns out having the best trained and equipped army in the middle east means jack poo poo when you are fighting anything other than civilian hospitals and extremely lovely arab professional armies.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Israel's conflict with Hezbollah specifically has basically defined their (and by extension US) foreign policy in the region ever since, which is a fun thing to keep in mind when you consider Hezbollah has a lot of material ties to Iran, along with the weird relations between Lebanon and Syria which honestly could probably fill an episode by itself

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Yeah turns out having the best trained and equipped army in the middle east means jack poo poo when you are fighting anything other than civilian hospitals and extremely lovely arab professional armies.

More specifically, the IDF is trained to be a police force and don't know how to deal with anything where they don't already control the local authorities. Also, by internalizing the logic of ethnic warfare, the Israelis have become far too casualty-averse to the point where they can no longer tolerate any kind of protracted offensive action.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Listening to the "American Nazis" episode now, and I love it when Dolan gets into the Civil War history. It's so clear he really cares about it, and knows it deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

prefect posted:

Listening to the "American Nazis" episode now, and I love it when Dolan gets into the Civil War history. It's so clear he really cares about it, and knows it deeply.

Great article specially considering recent events

https://pando.com/2015/04/10/war-nerd-the-confederates-who-shouldve-been-hanged/