Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
For Mt Baldy, you may be fine with just warm clothes and a solid idea of a safe route (I'd recommend go straight up the ski area or take the lifts and follow the ridge NW to the peak). It's not terribly steep, though depending on how the snow is settled you may have a slippery narrow ridge to straddle.

The standard extra equipment for snow (snow. Not glacier, not ice) travel is an ice axe & crampons, as you hopefully have heard, and if the mountain is thoroughly covered with a lot of consolidated (packed, firm, slippery) snow I'd take them. You may want to take them anyway (if money isn't an issue) just to familiarize yourself with this basic equipment.

You can look up what these are for. There's a lot of variations to choose from, but for basic walking on up to 45° non-icy slopes a single longish/straight handled ice axe and basically any crampon that fits your shoes will do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

lavaca posted:

This is probably better advice than mine if you are actually climbing a mountain with steep open slopes and not just following an uphill trail through the woods.

I disagree, ice axe + crampons won't help in an avalanche or if he starts to freeze to death :)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Congrats man, well done!

• Locked thread