Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

Assuming that a mountain is easily hikable in summer months (no technical skills required), what gear and skills are required to hike up that mountain in the snow? How do I best acquire those skills?

When I was young, we would go skiing once a year. I remember going on hikes that went up the ski slopes, and it was not an issue. Of course going up a simple (non-double black diamond) ski slope is one thing. Hiking up a mountain with steeper slopes to the left and to the right is another. What's the best way to get my feet wet doing such hikes? I live in an area that does not receive snow, but I could easily visit an area not far away (Los Angeles) that does. In particular, I am eyeing hiking up Mt. Baldy in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks for the input. What you wrote sounds very reasonable. I'll be sure to track down some experts and tag along with them on my first trip out.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks for the extensive list.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Reviving this thread because 5 people died after walking out onto a cornice. If you go up a mountain, stay the gently caress AWAY from the edge of a ridge.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3366530/breaking-news-search-for-missing-climbers-near-lions-bay/

I wasn't going to revive the thread just for a trip report, but now that you guys have revived it ...

I ended up scheduling the trip for April 14th hoping that most (but not all) of the snow/ice would have disappeared by then. The days before the actual hike I was panicking because satellite images and webcam footage still showed lots of snow and the weather forecast suggested freeze-thaw conditions - not good for hiking. It was also around then that I read stories of how many people had died on Mt. Baldy this year - not very reassuring. Fortunately, there was far less snow than satellite images suggested. The Devil's backbone trail up to Mt. Baldy has a couple of very narrow spots with steep slopes on either side, and I was not looking forward to crossing those if they had been covered by snow/ice. I also spent quite a bit of time reading about identifying snow cornices, watching youtube videos on using crampons, and how to do self arrests with an ice axe.

In the end, it was a fantastic hike. There were a couple of harmless snowbanks I had to cross, and while none of them required crampons, I did put them on for one of the snowbanks just for safety. I'm happy to report that I managed to cut down my ascent time from 4.5 hours (last year) to 3.25 hours even though I was not rushing. The best thing was that unlike last year, I felt zero altitude sickness this time. This confirmed that last years hike was such a terrible disaster because I was dehydrated and in poor physical shape (but I still made it to the top). This time, I took more liquids (+ electrolytes) and I spent a lot more time exercising before the actual hike. Click for pictures.

I now have my eyes on Mt. St. Helens.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Can't wait to get some wifi to view those pics!

They are all lousy cell pictures, so don't get too excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

a cute sea otter posted:

Beautiful hike, what was the distance covered?

~12 miles. I could have shortened it to ~10 miles if I had taken a different route, but given the snow I didn't want to take an unfamiliar route.

• Locked thread