Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

An rear end in a top hat Japanese salaryman gets pushed in front of a train by one of his former employees after firing him, then gets into an argument with god about how useless god is in modern society. In response, god reincarnates him into a fantasy world on the brink of war, where the salaryman becomes a ruthless military officer feared by both the enemy army and her own men, despite only being a small child. The world erupts into a violent war notably similar to World War 1, with Tanya being on the GermanImperial side.

Characters

Tanya Degurechaff (VA: Aoi Yuuki)

Our main character. Very powerful mage, makes some very good faces. About as evil as the title would suggest. Despises the entity calling itself 'God' and instead refers to it as 'Being X.'

Viktoriya Ivanovna Serebryakov (VA: Saori Hayami)

A corporal under Tanya's command. Seems continually surprised at Tanya's brutality.

Erich von Rerugen (VA: Shinichiro Miki)

A high ranking Imperial officer who has known Tanya since she joined the military.

God/Being X

Namtab posted:

Being x wants people to believe, is pissed off with modern trends towards atheism, and has turned an unbeliever into an instrument to spread faith in another universe. That's all we know

Factions:

The Empire

An industrial superpower in central Europe with a proud, long-standing military history. So, you know, Germany. So far, Imperial forces seem to be much more competent and generally prepared for this war. Surrounded by enemies on all sides.

The Entente Alliance

Enemies to the empire that have banded together to defeat them. Their forces greatly outnumber the Empire, but also tend to be less disciplined. They have so far been shown to be a fairly diverse group of nations.

I'll probably update this OP as more things get introduced/explained.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what would tanya's stats be in magic the gathering

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've heard that this anime is just a lovely nerd getting smug about his+her grasp of infrastructure, supply, and management. How true is this?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've heard that this anime is just a lovely nerd getting smug about his+her grasp of infrastructure, supply, and management. How true is this?

It hasn't been so far but I have no idea about the source material. So far we have seen Tanya being crazy, a huge jerk and a badass while also being trolled by God/Fate/her own "clever" plans.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Like the author is the lovely nerd or Tanya?

Tanya is genuinely a horrible person because she's straight up a sociopath. She doesn't care what she has to do get to the socioeconomic spot she wants to be at to live a comfortable life. She's like an evil bizarro version of Futaba Anzu from idolmaster.

But yeah, even though she's a sociopath, she has a lot of good qualities that seem to get her in progressively worse places. She's smart, which helped her spring out from the horrible start she had as a poor, orphaned girl in alter WW1 germany but it also had her smart mouth sassing god in the middle of him venting his anger which got her in the mess in the first place. She's hardworking, which has gotten her decorated and promoted to higher rank within the military but its also gotten her sent to the front lines and progressively more dangerous situations.

She isn't a hypocrite either. Like in the first episode we see how ruthless she is with the two that disobeyed her orders but when given an order thats basically suicide she follows it to the best of her ability. Of course she had an entirely different idea of how things were going to play out afterwards but even when things dont go the way she wants them to she just forces a smile and keep trudging along to reach that comfortable place she can finally relax in.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

OnimaruXLR posted:

The book is trash but the show has been alright so far, they changed some stuff

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

what would tanya's stats be in magic the gathering

red/black flying with a skill to do X damage since she seems to able to deal some massive damage if she wants to.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was a bit unsure with the first episode, but sign me up after the second episode.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
I was honestly surprised last year when they announced this would be actually getting it's own anime.
I'm avoided details about the actual light novels but so far the anime is alright and gave me a weird Blackadder / Ciaphas Cain flashbacks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
So quick effort post, about the attention to historical detail.

WWI is often shorted handed as being caused by the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand; while technically true doesn't quite convey the whole story.

There are two intertwining causes, the political geopolitics that has its roots in the following: the Balkan Question stemming from the long running Austrian imperial interests in the Balkans, and the Russian Imperial interests in defend Orthodox christians within the Ottoman Empire and seeking a warm water port; and the byzantine plate spinning alliance games begun by Otto Von Bismark that his successors lacked the skills to keep up after his ouster.

Second, was the military-industrial developments leading up to the first world war: The creation of a permanent General Staff, and the implementation of war plans and mobilization tables.

To give brief context; the Kingdom of Prussia had won a series of wars culminating with their victory over France at Sedan in 1870 due to a number of reforms and technological developments. The Prussian General Staff happened as a result of the crushing defeat of the Prussian Army at the Battle of Jena at the hands of Napoleon; this "Military Reorganization Commission", worked to reorganize and rebuild the shattered Prussian Army.

After the defeat the Napoleon the General Staff was formally established, but it wasn't until the appointment of Helmuth von Moltke the Elder that the General Staff was considerably expanded and consolidated, gaining the features of a modern General Staff.

With Moltke at the helm after some false starts in Denmark (where Moltke's plans to cut off the Danes retreat are bungled) Molke gets his chance to show how good at war he is from playing games in 1866 in the war against Austria.

The benefit of a General Staff is that you have a bunch of young intelligent educated officers coming up with elaborate war plans to be executed at specified dates and times in advance; the most important aspect of these plans is railway and mobilization time tables.

A huge and crucial advantage Prussia had going into the war against Austria that entirely negated Austria's geographical defence-in-depth advantages is that their railway network was considerably superior; according to Moltke they could concentrate 300,000 troops in under a month while the Austrians only had one railway line to get 200,000 troops in two months to Bohemia. Thus, even if they could concentrate against a single Prussian army attacking in one direction; they have no way of doing so without two other Prussian armies quickly striking against their flanks.

This despite Austria having superior field artillery allows Prussia to crush Austria and from there the way is clear for Prussia to unite Germany as a primarily protestant nation; but only France remains to oppose this.

Napoleon III, Emperor of France is captured with his army surrounded at Sedan; largely due to the better organization, faster mobilization, and swifter execution of battle plans.

Not that Prussia was invulnerable hell no; this is still the same Army that would invade Russia without adequate logistical planning during WWII; but the point is the General Staff and a greater emphasis on better officer training and organization allows the Prussian Army to more quickly recover and adapt to failures in the field.

So what happens after 1870? Well my understanding is that pretty everyone in Europe adopts the Prussian model, widespread conscription, and hair trigger mobilization time tables; because if your enemy mobilizes 500,000 men and marches over the border than he's already as good as won if you're still struggling to mobilize in turn.

Creating these war plans and organizing them according to the scale of multi million man professional armies is a massive colossal undertaking and also makes them extremely rigid. Adjusting these plans can take weeks in order to properly reroute the hundreds if not thousands of trains that need to also be ferrying supplies to your front line units; you can't just throw a division onto a train and get to Point B; you'll have collisions and traffic jams for sure.

So for WWI, the last great chance for peace where Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Nichalas tried to hash things out privately over telegram, was mainly foiled because of how difficult it would be to cancel mobilization orders once sent; it would be chaos; and the war could be won or lost in that time.

So a lot of people with passing familiarity with WWI tend to blame what is usually called the "Schlieffen Plan"; because according to Wikipedia: "Field Marshal Alfred von Schlieffen was the Chief of the Imperial German General Staff from 1891 to 1906 and in 1905–06 devised a deployment plan for a war-winning offensive"; and that this is the plan that called for a massive quick offensive against France by storming through the Low Countries. This plan has had a lot of back and forth over the years but the basic idea is that for the plan to have a hope of working rapid deployment of forces over rail lines is crucial.

German strategic thinking for WWI is basically "Defeat France first super quick and then somehow something *mumble mumble* defeat Russia!"

So in Tanya of the Evil we see something similar happens in what I'm calling the "3-15 War"; in Tanya the Imperial General Staff have devised a similar war winning plan to win the war (called Plan 315) by deploying their best troops quickly over railways to crush their enemies piece meal, while the rest of the army holds the fort delaying the other fronts as long as possible; which is very similar to the Schlieffen Plan except that it doesn't appear to call for the defeat of any particular army as a prerequisite for ultimate victory.

In the first episode this plan has already appeared to have failed; none of their enemies have been defeated and forced from the war and the plan basically now seems to have been downgraded to rather than being their War Winning Army, is their Main Fire Brigade force where its sent, not to win any particular front, but to avert disaster of the front collapsing.

So we have the current situation of a primarily land based power locked into a two+ front war of attrition due to poor long term contingency planning, hrrmmmm where have I heard this before?

I think the main reason why the plan failed is largely the same as to why WWI turned out the way it did; armies due to improvements in logistics, training, and armament, are now robust enough to avoid destruction in a single days fighting; and the economies are sufficiently industrialized and efficient to continuously supply these armies with enough munitions and arms to keep the army in the field indefinitely until one side collapses due to the sheer economic and human cost.

So you know, they deploy their army, probably have something like the Battle of Tannenberg but before they can follow up on it another front is calling for emergency reinforcements due to enemy advances and the cycle rinses and repeats.

tl;dr: I like how the story seems to be close not just to the historical events it is based on; but also models the underlying causes in addition to it. Like a big game of Hearts of Iron IV.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Having read the novel that's translated I didn't have high hopes for the anime but I've been pleasantly surprised. The novels are far from being good but I don't hate them either.

For what it's worth, unless I'm getting the timeline wrong, the not-Germans didn't go into the war with a plan to deal with three or more fronts at once. They expected they'd be able to fight a defensive war on one front and win an offensive war on another because they've invested a lot more into their military but didn't foresee everyone getting pulled into a world war.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grausherra posted:

I was honestly surprised last year when they announced this would be actually getting it's own anime.
I'm avoided details about the actual light novels but so far the anime is alright and gave me a weird Blackadder / Ciaphas Cain flashbacks.

I could go for a Ciaphas Cain anime.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Demicol posted:

red/black flying with a skill to do X damage since she seems to able to deal some massive damage if she wants to.

I'd just go with a red version of Serra Angel: 3C2R 4/4 Flying Vigilance. It's not like we've seen her run out of mana yet. If she had any active, it'd be a +x/+0 and probably grant First Strike, all instead of the vigilance, but her cost is gonna go way up.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2017

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

So quick effort post, about the attention to historical detail.

WWI is often shorted handed as being caused by the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand; while technically true doesn't quite convey the whole story.

There are two intertwining causes, the political geopolitics that has its roots in the following: the Balkan Question stemming from the long running Austrian imperial interests in the Balkans, and the Russian Imperial interests in defend Orthodox christians within the Ottoman Empire and seeking a warm water port; and the byzantine plate spinning alliance games begun by Otto Von Bismark that his successors lacked the skills to keep up after his ouster.

Second, was the military-industrial developments leading up to the first world war: The creation of a permanent General Staff, and the implementation of war plans and mobilization tables.

To give brief context; the Kingdom of Prussia had won a series of wars culminating with their victory over France at Sedan in 1870 due to a number of reforms and technological developments. The Prussian General Staff happened as a result of the crushing defeat of the Prussian Army at the Battle of Jena at the hands of Napoleon; this "Military Reorganization Commission", worked to reorganize and rebuild the shattered Prussian Army.

After the defeat the Napoleon the General Staff was formally established, but it wasn't until the appointment of Helmuth von Moltke the Elder that the General Staff was considerably expanded and consolidated, gaining the features of a modern General Staff.

With Moltke at the helm after some false starts in Denmark (where Moltke's plans to cut off the Danes retreat are bungled) Molke gets his chance to show how good at war he is from playing games in 1866 in the war against Austria.

The benefit of a General Staff is that you have a bunch of young intelligent educated officers coming up with elaborate war plans to be executed at specified dates and times in advance; the most important aspect of these plans is railway and mobilization time tables.

A huge and crucial advantage Prussia had going into the war against Austria that entirely negated Austria's geographical defence-in-depth advantages is that their railway network was considerably superior; according to Moltke they could concentrate 300,000 troops in under a month while the Austrians only had one railway line to get 200,000 troops in two months to Bohemia. Thus, even if they could concentrate against a single Prussian army attacking in one direction; they have no way of doing so without two other Prussian armies quickly striking against their flanks.

This despite Austria having superior field artillery allows Prussia to crush Austria and from there the way is clear for Prussia to unite Germany as a primarily protestant nation; but only France remains to oppose this.

Napoleon III, Emperor of France is captured with his army surrounded at Sedan; largely due to the better organization, faster mobilization, and swifter execution of battle plans.

Not that Prussia was invulnerable hell no; this is still the same Army that would invade Russia without adequate logistical planning during WWII; but the point is the General Staff and a greater emphasis on better officer training and organization allows the Prussian Army to more quickly recover and adapt to failures in the field.

So what happens after 1870? Well my understanding is that pretty everyone in Europe adopts the Prussian model, widespread conscription, and hair trigger mobilization time tables; because if your enemy mobilizes 500,000 men and marches over the border than he's already as good as won if you're still struggling to mobilize in turn.

Creating these war plans and organizing them according to the scale of multi million man professional armies is a massive colossal undertaking and also makes them extremely rigid. Adjusting these plans can take weeks in order to properly reroute the hundreds if not thousands of trains that need to also be ferrying supplies to your front line units; you can't just throw a division onto a train and get to Point B; you'll have collisions and traffic jams for sure.

So for WWI, the last great chance for peace where Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Nichalas tried to hash things out privately over telegram, was mainly foiled because of how difficult it would be to cancel mobilization orders once sent; it would be chaos; and the war could be won or lost in that time.

So a lot of people with passing familiarity with WWI tend to blame what is usually called the "Schlieffen Plan"; because according to Wikipedia: "Field Marshal Alfred von Schlieffen was the Chief of the Imperial German General Staff from 1891 to 1906 and in 1905–06 devised a deployment plan for a war-winning offensive"; and that this is the plan that called for a massive quick offensive against France by storming through the Low Countries. This plan has had a lot of back and forth over the years but the basic idea is that for the plan to have a hope of working rapid deployment of forces over rail lines is crucial.

German strategic thinking for WWI is basically "Defeat France first super quick and then somehow something *mumble mumble* defeat Russia!"

So in Tanya of the Evil we see something similar happens in what I'm calling the "3-15 War"; in Tanya the Imperial General Staff have devised a similar war winning plan to win the war (called Plan 315) by deploying their best troops quickly over railways to crush their enemies piece meal, while the rest of the army holds the fort delaying the other fronts as long as possible; which is very similar to the Schlieffen Plan except that it doesn't appear to call for the defeat of any particular army as a prerequisite for ultimate victory.

In the first episode this plan has already appeared to have failed; none of their enemies have been defeated and forced from the war and the plan basically now seems to have been downgraded to rather than being their War Winning Army, is their Main Fire Brigade force where its sent, not to win any particular front, but to avert disaster of the front collapsing.

So we have the current situation of a primarily land based power locked into a two+ front war of attrition due to poor long term contingency planning, hrrmmmm where have I heard this before?

I think the main reason why the plan failed is largely the same as to why WWI turned out the way it did; armies due to improvements in logistics, training, and armament, are now robust enough to avoid destruction in a single days fighting; and the economies are sufficiently industrialized and efficient to continuously supply these armies with enough munitions and arms to keep the army in the field indefinitely until one side collapses due to the sheer economic and human cost.

So you know, they deploy their army, probably have something like the Battle of Tannenberg but before they can follow up on it another front is calling for emergency reinforcements due to enemy advances and the cycle rinses and repeats.

tl;dr: I like how the story seems to be close not just to the historical events it is based on; but also models the underlying causes in addition to it. Like a big game of Hearts of Iron IV.

This is interesting. Also am I the only one who thinks that drifter crazy person smile in the first gif looks dumb as hell?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ranzear posted:

I'd just go with a red version of Serra Angel: 3C2R 4/4 Flying Vigilance. It's not like we've seen her run out of mana yet. If she had any active, it'd be a +x/+0 and probably grant First Strike, but her cost is gonna go way up.

She's black/blue more than she's red, thematically.

Her two big things are: she doesn't want to be on the battlefield, and she blows everyone up on the regular. So how about something like:

Tanya the Evil - 2BU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Flying
BBB, return Tanya the Evil to your hand: Destroy all nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated.
3/3

drilldo squirt posted:

This is interesting. Also am I the only one who thinks that drifter crazy person smile in the first gif looks dumb as hell?

Dumb as hell, and also rad as hell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The dumb drifter grin is funnier when you see the little omakes they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTkKH1pguFw

Viktoria is as :downs: as she looks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The omakes are good, please keep posting them.

The 20 MB gifs, not as much.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
The first episode was ok, but episode 2 made me think I'll probably finish the whole season.

I thought that it wasn't actually God, and that was he point? Maybe a god, but not a master of creation. Him calling out Being X after having time stopped all magical like was hilarious.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Having gone in blind, I see from the second episode that the plot is apparently God punishing an atheist by reincarnating them into a literal foxhole.

Gotta be honest, it's not the direction I expected the show to take.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Having gone in blind, I see from the second episode that the plot is apparently God punishing an atheist by reincarnating them into a literal foxhole.

Gotta be honest, it's not the direction I expected the show to take.

Any other atheist and he wouldn't have bother to put him in a shithole, he would have just wiped him or her from existence. This one had the balls to sass him when the dude is doing a display of its powers so he sent him to be reincarnated in the worst possible position. I loved the expression of all the people going "WHAT!?" in that scene. loving even god couldn't believe Lin's level of sass.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 17, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AnacondaHL posted:

The omakes are good, please keep posting them.

Then you'll want to see episode 00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yal8nuVU6qQ

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I knew nothing of this and added it as a Shanaproject follow solely on the description. Hearing the sass between salaryman dude and Being X was like every single fedora-clad neckbeard getting their big philosophy debut and the subsequent metaphysical smackdown was wonderful.

Also Zac Bertschy thinks it's basically a fanwank over WWI era Germany so it never hurts to subvert the expectations of the ANN brass.

It's a fun follow-up to Drifters, if nothing else.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Where's the Nazi wizards irl

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

*Tips Magical Pickelhaube*

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Castle Wolfenstein, probably

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tanya's voice borders on irritating for me but the show's been entertaining enough so far that I don't mind watching more.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
DEUS VULT!
Ep 3 is pretty much the capstone for proving the three episode test positive. God's still a massive dick.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm surprised at how engaging this show is. The pacing feels good, the animation is quirky yet thematically fitting, and the voice acting sells it better than a used car salesman with giant inflatable balloons.

I'm on board with this until the end.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I made fun of this when the first images came out of Li'l Hitler, but now it's my favourite non-returning show of the season. Kinda proves them right though that Being X is incompetent since they just waste time on trolling Tanya/salary man.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That miracle was really fitting. God does not play fair. :v:

She's not going to start a political party after the war is over, is she?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Poil posted:

She's not going to start a political party after the war is over, is she?

I actually kinda hope she becomes literal Hitler with the accidental blessing of God Being X. But what if Being X's plan is to make genocide happen so he has less work to do? I'm spoiling that simply because I actually think it might be plausible.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I thought this show was going to be poo poo, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I like how Tanya is highly competent and always making progress towards her easy life. Then Being X shows up and fucks it up somehow. At least she kinda deserves it!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This show has one of the pettiest gods Ive seen in an anime and its hilarious

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This show has one of the pettiest gods Ive seen in an anime and its hilarious

This is like an anime retelling of the story of Job.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This girl is all cranium

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Tanya is Charlie Brown and God is Lucy with the football, but unlike Charlie Brown Tanya has no choice but to keep trying to kick the ball, or die; but gets a little closer each time.

Tanya's personality and dialogue is fun; and Ivanova is pretty funny too. "My new deployment isn't going to be destroyed my artillery right...?" :D

Command Ant posted:

This is like an anime retelling of the story of Job.

I *feel* like I've seen this trope before of a character constantly chasing the easy life but keeps on getting side tracked by bullshit circumstances and I'm not sure from where. Just Lucky Taylor comes to mind.

The curse on the gem really does seem like some kind of unfair "deus ex machina" ( :smug: ) in a sorta meta-in-universe way if that makes sense? I hope that bites "God" back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that Tanya's problems here are just because she refuses to play ball and keeps bad mouthing God rather then get the message.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should note that Tanya's problems here are just because she refuses to play ball and keeps bad mouthing God rather then get the message.

Being X is a huge attention-craving jerk.

Tanya just wants to live a quiet life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope the guy who pushed him into the train got what he deserved

• Locked thread