Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jon joe posted:

Would you say Tanya is more of a Hitler or a Goebbels?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Trump is Hitler, Tanya is Sisyphus.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

gomer pyle

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jon joe posted:

Would you say Tanya is more of a Hitler or a Goebbels?

Congrats on finding a worse topic than her gender identity

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

*thumbs up*

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Namtab posted:

Does she have the right type of RAM?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paracelsus posted:

Does she have the right type of RAM?

Guess you missed the episode where she got experimental super RAM.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tanya is...good!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEZo1TaXKP8

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

These really are quite excellent.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love how Tanyas attempt to demoralize her trainees only strengthened their resolve.

e- Also technically Tanya did not commit any war crimes...I think...

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 3, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love how Tanyas attempt to demoralize her trainees only strengthened their resolve.

e- Also technically Tanya did not commit any war crimes...I think...

boobytrapped a corpse

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davincie posted:

boobytrapped a corpse

Probably not a warcrime yet based on the timeline

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It's important to note that Romanias's entrance into the war in OTL was nearly as disastrous as was portrayed in this episode.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Well, now she isn't even trying to hide her contempt for the rules of war if they get in her way. The spirit of law was hanged and the word is forced to contort into shapes Tanya can work with at gunpoint. At this point I just want to see how far she will go :allears:.

Also disturbingly endearing how her troops were amazed that she could sound like a child. To them she is this larger than life figure, not someone who could sneak into an elementary school to have a free lunch.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ummm that face...looks familiar...

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I'm kinda surprised Tanya didn't just go for the Royal palace to capture their leadership.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
One thing I noticed in this episode is that she is now Tanya "von" Degurechaff since she's been knighted, making her part of the nobility. Which probably comes with a whole host of perks.

Also the insignia on the collars of their dress uniforms are missing now since they are a top secret unit.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Me, before watching this show:

Me, after watching this show:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
What do you do with dogs wearing gas masks anyway? Are they just cheap sight hound sentries or something?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
This show is a delight and scratches all of the right itches. I actually got a bit of a spine tingle from Tanya's commissionng speech; militerism is delightfully addictive in a way I don't have to feel guilty while still being able to think on it critically as to why this is still all kinds of wrong.

I know certain people on reddit are going to try to make Tanya their mascot but it's probably very easy to put them down.

This reminds me, did Tanya actually just sorta forget herself in the moment of winning so hard about her goals or is this a case that once she's finally forced into completing a task she completes it to the most of her ability? It's a little at odds with her bureaucratic foot dragging earlier.

quote:

One thing I noticed in this episode is that she is now Tanya "von" Degurechaff since she's been knighted, making her part of the nobility. Which probably comes with a whole host of perks.

Also the insignia on the collars of their dress uniforms are missing now since they are a top secret unit.

These are some nice details; was she Knighted in the books or is this extrapolating from Pre-WWI Germany? What perks can we expect?

CrazySalamander posted:

What do you do with dogs wearing gas masks anyway? Are they just cheap sight hound sentries or something?

:raise:

quote:

Well, now she isn't even trying to hide her contempt for the rules of war if they get in her way. The spirit of law was hanged and the word is forced to contort into shapes Tanya can work with at gunpoint. At this point I just want to see how far she will go .

Also disturbingly endearing how her troops were amazed that she could sound like a child. To them she is this larger than life figure, not someone who could sneak into an elementary school to have a free lunch.

I think it's Tanya that wanted to follow the book here but the troops were worried about losing the element of surprise; so she compromised?

It's hard to imagine any army at that point entirely not understanding the value of airpower with the western front ongoing but you still had people in the Soviet Army who felt that Mechanized troops could never replace horses up until 1941 so who knows.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

This reminds me, did Tanya actually just sorta forget herself in the moment of winning so hard about her goals or is this a case that once she's finally forced into completing a task she completes it to the most of her ability? It's a little at odds with her bureaucratic foot dragging earlier.

It's probably the latter; she doesn't want to do this dangerous, frontline job, but if she's going to do it, she's going to make sure it gets done. Though she also seems to be the power-tripping sort, which she might not fully realize herself as she rationalizes it away.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's Tanya that wanted to follow the book here but the troops were worried about losing the element of surprise; so she compromised?

I think it's more that Tanya recognized a surprise attack would be most effective in disrupting their enemies, but being a bureaucrat at heart, she still needs to follow the proper procedures. So she found a way to de facto commit a war crime while still technically following international law.

Her plan also seems premeditated, as she told Weiss he "plays too much by the book", indicating she planned to bend the rules from the start.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 4, 2017

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://my.mixtape.moe/udtvmu.webm

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Aoi Yuuki Chews the loving Scenery the Anime.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

All the dogs are wearing gas masks. They aren't going to scent anything or bite anything while wearing gas masks. Humans can shoot just fine while wearing gas masks, but it seems like the only thing the dogs could do would be act as marginal pairs of eyes, hence the sight hound (as opposed to scent hounds) comment.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
It may just be an off-hand reference to how dogs were fitted with gas masks in WW1 due to chemical warfare. Maybe they weren't as effective as trackers or whatever, but you're not just going to let Mans Best Friend die a horrible death to gas. I don't think the anime has made any mention of chemical warfare yet? Which is why I think it's just a bit of flavor. Looks cool (Like loving everything in this show, god drat).

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Aoi Yuuki Chews the loving Scenery the Anime.

I love how this show is making full use of her range too, you don't see that a lot in anime.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

She's doing very well not to break into Tatsumaki too, except in the shorts.

I'm not sure what to call this, being able to voice a character uniquely and not leak into your other roles. It's the thing Steve Blum is incapable of.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Ranzear posted:

She's doing very well not to break into Tatsumaki too, except in the shorts.

I'm not sure what to call this, being able to voice a character uniquely and not leak into your other roles. It's the thing Steve Blum is incapable of.

I'd roll that in as part of having good range, but maybe there's a specific word just for that. It's not the be-all-end-all of an actor's talent, of course, there's value in totally crushing one specific archetype (cough Daisuke Ono), but it's an impressive thing to have.

I thought Steve Blum was getting a pass these days since Jon Benjamin exists now.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 4, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It wasn't until I saw the third or fourth short that I even realized Aoi Yuuki voiced Tatsumaki.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

AnacondaHL posted:

Me, before watching this show:

Me, after watching this show:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hoobajoo posted:

I'd roll that in as part of having good range, but maybe there's a specific word just for that. It's not the be-all-end-all of an actor's talent, of course, there's value in totally crushing one specific archetype (cough Daisuke Ono), but it's an impressive thing to have.

I thought Steve Blum was getting a pass these days since Jon Benjamin exists now.

"now"? Jon Benjamin has existed for decades.

Wait, has Jon Benjamin stated doing anime dubs?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh. This may be accurate to the Romanian invasion, but narratively I don't quite see the point of it yet. To show how Tanya sees things?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ViggyNash posted:

Huh. This may be accurate to the Romanian invasion, but narratively I don't quite see the point of it yet. To show how Tanya sees things?

Establish the character of her battalion without a credible threat so we know how they operate when dealing with actual enemies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

"now"? Jon Benjamin has existed for decades.

Wait, has Jon Benjamin stated doing anime dubs?

Archer does have an anime waifu in it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's definitely weird that they don't have any idea of air warfare seeing as we saw that planes exist. The only thing I can think of is that nobody ever thought to strap guns to them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Namtab posted:

It's definitely weird that they don't have any idea of air warfare seeing as we saw that planes exist. The only thing I can think of is that nobody ever thought to strap guns to them.

When sticking guns to planes requires the invention of the thing that ties the gun's firing to the prop's RPM so the plane doesn't shoot its propeller off, or the more complex machinery to have wing-mounted guns and you have the alternative of just using flying people with guns that likely can move faster and present a lesser target than planes, it makes sense they won't use planes for air superiority.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Establish the character of her battalion without a credible threat so we know how they operate when dealing with actual enemies.

I guess. The episode was good but I feel like the plot didn't really do much. It felt weirdly decoupled from the conflict as a whole.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The episode was mostly about Tanya doing everything she could to delay or fail in her task of completing the mage battalion and instead succeeding beyond anyone's expectations. As for the actual notRomania counter attack, I guess we'll see if the ease of that particular encounter affects her soldiers ability to fight in an actual combat scenario.

Also apparently there is a publicity event in Akihabara for St. Valentines, get to know the novel author and also get bread rations or something like that

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namtab posted:

They had an idea of air warfare. When they were attacked they formed up into clumps and prepared to fire volleys into the sky. Sure, it was a terrible idea, but they had clearly at least heard of airplanes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They had aircraft carrying bombs so clearly the relative rarity of combat mages means there's still a strong incentive to weaponize aircraft for massed ordinance delivery.

• Locked thread