Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Curious as to why a diety would be obsessed with a single random rear end in a top hat, enjoying the show so far none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bricklord posted:

Curious as to why a deity would be obsessed with a single random rear end in a top hat, enjoying the show so far none the less.

For all we know so far, he does that to everyone. But he was kind of an rear end in a top hat in that little post mortem talk. "I am tired of you humans." "Well, you wouldn't be so tired if you were better at your job. Besides, I have lead a way to privileged life to develop faith. I will never pray to you!" "... Screw you!"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 7, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Man created God in his image.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bricklord posted:

Curious as to why a diety would be obsessed with a single random rear end in a top hat, enjoying the show so far none the less.

All the best myths start with a god being a petty dick about something and elaborately tormenting a mortal.

"Hey Poseidon, Odysseus kinda half-assed his latest calf sacrifice to you. Really phoned it in."
"HOW DARE HE! TEN YEARS OCEAN!!!"

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 7, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bricklord posted:

Curious as to why a diety would be obsessed with a single random rear end in a top hat

Why wouldn't They be?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bricklord posted:

The show handles that part much better than the comic or novel does.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Being X is just bitching about how lovely his job has become and dumbass salaryman puts on his fedora triggering that most powerful of cosmic forces: spite

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The dude showed up specifically to bitch about how humans weren't respecting him enough and then Salaryman responds by calling him incompetent to his face and blatantly disrespecting him.

For a godlike ego, that must sting.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61c6O39AqLY

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

I don't get what the conversation was at the end.

Isn't the guy Subaru's VA?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think they're saying that they can't even get the satisfaction of having a woman as an upside of having masochistic sadistic commander since Tanya's a little girl and that doesn't get their rocks off.

Onean fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 8, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

via Related Youtube Videos

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Tanya being something like a Lawful Evil Cleric to an Evil God they hates makes this suddenly feel like this could've easily been a Forgotten Realms novel.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tanya being something like a Lawful Evil Cleric to an Evil God they hates makes this suddenly feel like this could've easily been a Forgotten Realms novel.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was one out there, save for the whole middle aged man in a child's body bit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Going back to last Fridays episode, there is something very fundamental that we overlooked in our discussion of Tanya's actions.

Up until this point the empire's war has been a defensive war where they have been defending their borders.

Tanya's actions were not just defending the border, she has actively crossed the border and taken aggressive action in an enemy nation.

Tanya has escalated the war.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Going back to last Fridays episode, there is something very fundamental that we overlooked in our discussion of Tanya's actions.

Up until this point the empire's war has been a defensive war where they have been defending their borders.

Tanya's actions were not just defending the border, she has actively crossed the border and taken aggressive action in an enemy nation.

Totally the Dakians' fault for entering the Empire without visas.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Namtab posted:

Hasn't the Empire been taking land from the Republic, though? Even if you are fighting a defensive war, I think it's normal to attack the enemy nation. Russia invaded Germany in WWII, and that wasn't seen as aggression because Germany hadn't surrendered.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

Hasn't the Empire been taking land from the Republic, though? Even if you are fighting a defensive war, I think it's normal to attack the enemy nation. Russia invaded Germany in WWII, and that wasn't seen as aggression because Germany hadn't surrendered.
At present all they're doing is repelling invaders because they have superior numbers and good quality troops. Their traditional military strategem is to keep doing this, at present very few higher ups want an offensive war.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Namtab posted:

At present all they're doing is repelling invaders because they have superior numbers and good quality troops. Their traditional military strategem is to keep doing this, at present very few higher ups want an offensive war.

poo poo then, things definitely did get escalated. Looking forward to the next episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Eh. Counter attacking into enemy territory is a well established strategy.

Lets see, the war Sun Tzu allegedly wins is basically that.

Republican France vs the various Coalitions.

Benedict Arnold marched into Canada.

I feel like there are some other wars I'm missing. I feel like this sort of "Shield and Sword" operation must be fairly common.

Also Tanya's force didn't occupy any land, but was a raid; which I feel like is a little lower down. For example the Newfoundlander regiment that burnt down the White House during the War of 1812 in response to the US invading Canada (again).

Not that I don't entirely expect this to escalate the war somehow but I feel fairly strongly the NotRomania crossing the border with what seems like 5 divisions probably did that first; the raid on their capital probably is just the excuse to officially declare war instead of "Oops, how did we take this land of yours..." ala 1939 Winter War against Finland.

So yes, it probably will escalate it but I don't think Tanya's actions were invalid considering historical or military context. Deescalation is up to the ambassadors.

Namtab posted:

The higher ups may not want a world war per se if pressed and described in those terms; but they almost certainly balk at the idea of appearing weak or giving up initiative; Otto Von Bismark they do not appear to have at the helm but an officer corps and General Staff with all the same weaknesses and blindspots as their real life historical counterparts; basically a bunch of nerds who value winning in a short sighted sense and ignore the larger geopolitical picture.

I think the Imperial Japanese Army and the way they crossed into Manchuria may be relevant here.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The higher ups may not want a world war per se if pressed and described in those terms; but they almost certainly balk at the idea of appearing weak or giving up initiative; Otto Von Bismark they do not appear to have at the helm but an officer corps and General Staff with all the same weaknesses and blindspots as their real life historical counterparts; basically a bunch of nerds who value winning in a short sighted sense and ignore the larger geopolitical picture.

I think the Imperial Japanese Army and the way they crossed into Manchuria may be relevant here.

It's an early plot point in the book that at the moment most of the generals want to pursue a flexible defence, with only the military advisor to the emperor wanting something more aggressive. That's why tanyas discussion with that one important guy is significant because she's telling him that the empire would be better off expanding. This has not really been covered in the anime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

It's an early plot point in the book that at the moment most of the generals want to pursue a flexible defence, with only the military advisor to the emperor wanting something more aggressive. That's why tanyas discussion with that one important guy is significant because she's telling him that the empire would be better off expanding. This has not really been covered in the anime.

What, I remember her distinctly saying they should offer lenient terms and end the war asap.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tanya knows the only acceptable outcome is to paint the map with your own colors.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poil posted:

Tanya knows the only acceptable outcome is to paint the map with your own colors.

Pretty borders makes everyone happy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Poil posted:

Please avoid coalitions when doing so though as it will make it harder to avoid border gore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Motherfucking crunchy roll this episode released just like normal and they've STILL haven't translated it apparently because of "Production Issues". I'm just going to watch a raw because this poo poo is insane.

Also next episode is a recap episode.

e- Funnily enough our conversation about Airplanes, is relevant in this episode

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Amazing, Tanya has managed to figure out how to torture through the fourth wall.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Liver Disaster posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was one out there, save for the whole middle aged man in a child's body bit.
You say that, but Elminster's probably done it at least once. Elminster Ed Greenwood is bad.

The series appears to have greater ambitions, but tbh I'd be fine with a comedy about an increasingly annoyed Tanya continually plotting to get away from the frontlines and ending up even deeper every time. Just mash up Catch 22/Ciaphas Cain/Irresponsible Captain Tylor, basically.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Add some Blackadder Goes Forth.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, what more could he possibly threaten Tanya with. At this rate, Tanya will become queen of the world because God keeps throwing resume fodder at her.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Being a famous war hero used for propaganda isnt all that great since the opposition will start devoting resources to kill you specifically for their own propaganda of "yes, we killed that bastard, go us".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Iretep posted:

Being a famous war hero used for propaganda isnt all that great since the opposition will start devoting resources to kill you specifically for their own propaganda of "yes, we killed that bastard, go us".

Exactly, but as of now no one can match Tanya. I guess we'll see what happens when other nations start devoting resources specifically to take her and her battalion on.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Only thing going for Tanya is that she is small and she can fly higher than the rest of the mages. She hasnt done anything that OP, she just picks positions where she is safer but at the same time seems to be heroic. To my understanding she went after the bombers because fighting actual mages is much more dangerous.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Iretep posted:

Only thing going for Tanya is that she is small and she can fly higher than the rest of the mages. She hasnt done anything that OP, she just picks positions where she is safer but at the same time seems to be heroic. To my understanding she went after the bombers because fighting actual mages is much more dangerous.

Her jewel also makes her faster and hit much harder than other mages, and I assume her shields are stronger as well. She's pretty OP, even if all her power ups are quantitative differences.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh. Counter attacking into enemy territory is a well established strategy.

Lets see, the war Sun Tzu allegedly wins is basically that.

Republican France vs the various Coalitions.

Benedict Arnold marched into Canada.

I feel like there are some other wars I'm missing. I feel like this sort of "Shield and Sword" operation must be fairly common.

Also Tanya's force didn't occupy any land, but was a raid; which I feel like is a little lower down. For example the Newfoundlander regiment that burnt down the White House during the War of 1812 in response to the US invading Canada (again).

Not that I don't entirely expect this to escalate the war somehow but I feel fairly strongly the NotRomania crossing the border with what seems like 5 divisions probably did that first; the raid on their capital probably is just the excuse to officially declare war instead of "Oops, how did we take this land of yours..." ala 1939 Winter War against Finland.

So yes, it probably will escalate it but I don't think Tanya's actions were invalid considering historical or military context. Deescalation is up to the ambassadors.

I don't think the issue was that Tanya did anything wrong or that she wasn't justified in striking back, it's that she directly attacked their capital and set them up to be taken over which we just saw is pretty much definitely gonna happen. Recall that the reason Tanya thinks a world war is going to happen is that everyone is afraid of the Empire expanding and gobbling up its neighbors until no one nation can stand up to it, forcing them to band together and triggering a war of alliances. This was the first step in that actually becoming a reality. Until then they were fighting defensively, but now they're actively looking to expand. World War I just started.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah though Blackadder I don't think chased promotion particularly hard; he just wanted out of the trenches. :(

Tanya is probably basically the equivalent of a P-51D Mustang being introduced in 1939 and being flown by an Ace. So she's super effective in her formation because her performance envelope has like 5 years head start on her probable enemies but it isn't like she can win the war on her own.

quote:

Unknown Being X keeps on digging that hole to bury her in.

I like she got her shot off a few times like she alluded to wanting to do in a earlier episode and it did gently caress all just to mess with her.

quote:

Wow, what more could he possibly threaten Tanya with. At this rate, Tanya will become queen of the world because God keeps throwing resume fodder at her.

You know who else didn't like smoking? :godwin:

I like that with the book material posted so far and with Tanya presumably letting loose a little I get the sense that outside of work Tanya's original dude's personality might've been fun to hang out and play shooters with.

quote:

I don't think the issue was that Tanya did anything wrong or that she wasn't justified in striking back, it's that she directly attacked their capital and set them up to be taken over which we just saw is pretty much definitely gonna happen. Recall that the reason Tanya thinks a world war is going to happen is that everyone is afraid of the Empire expanding and gobbling up its neighbors until no one nation can stand up to it, forcing them to band together and triggering a war of alliances. This was the first step in that actually becoming a reality. Until then they were fighting defensively, but now they're actively looking to expand. World War I just started.

Sure, though on the other hand if you going to fight a battle you should fight to win and win it as decisively as possible to display overwhelming superiority is something that originates from Von Clausewitz.

The Ender's Game comparisons write themselves at this point.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 11, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A loving recap episode for a one season show? Why even bothering to air that poo poo? Just skip one week, it's better than an utterly pointless waste of everyone's time. :argh:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Poil posted:

A loving recap episode for a one season show? Why even bothering to air that poo poo? Just skip one week, it's better than an utterly pointless waste of everyone's time. :argh:

Er, you think they're putting them in because they want to?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

darkgray posted:

Er, you think they're putting them in because they want to?
No, I've seen Shirobako. I'm saying no episode is better than a recap, because the end result is the same: no episode. :(

But hopefully the 11 episodes they actually make will be good.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I keep meaning to watch Shirobako. Maybe I can view it in place of Tanya next week! :v:

It's not necessarily a bad sign though, is it? I seem to recall a couple other shows squeezed in a recap episode at least in part because the series' popularity caught fire and they needed to get new viewers up to speed (andyes, also to save time/money I'm sure).

• Locked thread