Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Schlesische posted:

Don't follow Richmond. Richmond fans are loving insane. There is more speculation following this garbage fire on wheels than on literally any other club. It's like following the Toronto Maple Leafs.

GET hosed.

Also, OP, Schlesische is 100% correct. Follow Richmond at your own peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The Women's jumper designs of both the Crows and Dogs is superior to the mens.
Discuss.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

pkid posted:

Discuss.

There is no discussion. They just are. Same with Carlton.

Go Doggies!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I've managed to get myself to a computer to watch teh Dogs - Freo game, and I am really enjoying the commentary.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

pkid posted:

Discuss.

Dogs is literally a different shade of blue

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I've managed to get myself to a computer to watch teh Dogs - Freo game, and I am really enjoying the commentary.

You can really tell that Bennett is ESPN alumni. Carmody also goes alright, he was a bog standard when he started but he's turned out good.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

Dogs is literally a different shade of blue

A better shade!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A lot of these shanked kicks look like they're trying to put too much on it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I like when commentators talk about footy

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I pity any of the girls that have to line up on Sarah perkins

Edit: this game's standard is way higher than the one last night. More evidence collingwood are poo poo.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 4, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I pity anyone who has to play footy in February heat on grounds closer to concrete than turf in give

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I fuckin love daisy Pearce but that chemist warehouse ad is up there with the jack watts energy watch ad or whatever it was for cringe factor

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Freo being terrible, hope it's not an omen for the mens season.

Also, not noticing the umpiring or the umpires. Looking at you Razor Ray :argh:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good to see Freo playing in the spirit of Ross Lyon.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On to the most important part of footy: When the dogs win this game, I'll be 3/3 for my tipping. Yay for me!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Sort of hope we can get a losing team to score more than one goal though. Like I said it's early days and I think 3-4 games in, all the teams will have their systems sorted out. You gotta start somewhere though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Kearney, Brennan and Blackburn...thems my favs! I reckon if it goes on long enough without an Essendon women's team it might be hard to switch back across.

One thing I did notice tonight was some of the changes in bodies even since the all star game last year. Was a few girls you could tell really benefited from a summer in the gym with an AFL club

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Obvious standouts were Brennan, Kearney & Blackburn but I though that Ernst was great in the ruck while 21 & 22 for the Bulldogs were really important in defense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fortuitous scheduling for next week, Bulldogs v Crows is the pick of the games and set for Friday night

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

*gunter dance*

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
The handballing I've seen on display in the women's games so far has been considerably poorer than the mens, is that an upper body strength thing or because handballing is a more difficult thing that benefits from added years of training? Either way I'd expect that to improve in the next couple of years.

I'd love to see the stats, but I feel like the handball:kick ratio has been much heavier on the kicking side than is typical.

Generally the kicking has been ok though.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ZombieJesus posted:

The handballing I've seen on display in the women's games so far has been considerably poorer than the mens, is that an upper body strength thing or because handballing is a more difficult thing that benefits from added years of training? Either way I'd expect that to improve in the next couple of years.

I'd love to see the stats, but I feel like the handball:kick ratio has been much heavier on the kicking side than is typical.

Apart from goal-kicking the foot skills have been good.
The Hand skills have been atrocious and seem to be the main difference between the good players and the bad ones. You can really pick out a Darcy Vescio when she's the one who seems to be able to pick the ball up while retaining pace.

It's early days, and I'm not going to rag on women's footy because the contests have been hard fought and it's the first week of the first season of "professional" womens footy. I'm eager to see what the girls are capable of in the finals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ZombieJesus posted:

The handballing I've seen on display in the women's games so far has been considerably poorer than the mens, is that an upper body strength thing or because handballing is a more difficult thing that benefits from added years of training?

Both. Takes practise, repetition, and muscle memory to get the technique and timing right, takes upper body strength to be able to launch it a meaningful speed and distance. Getting all of these things perfect results in Mark Ricciuto, which is rare, but they'll get better.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ZombieJesus posted:

Handballing at AFL level is insanely good. I have no doubt I have more upper strength then 95% of the women afl players and my handballs barely make it past 4 meters at the best of times. Its really a learned skill of how to apply strength properly rather then brute force. They will absolutely get better but I agree its the most glaring "problem" as far as their skills go.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The other problem I've noticed with a lot of the handballs isn't just the handballer, but the receiver. They've either fumbled it or just not been prepared for it. I'd assume this will just be an experience/nerves thing too where they just haven't been prepared/in the exact right place to back up their team mate with the ball. I think pretty much most skill errors and strength/conditioning factors get a pass for quite a while, probably even beyond this year. If they're still present in 3-4 years time then maybe more questions could be asked of what about the system isn't working but its way too early to call that. And plus, as noted, the main thing you'd want at this point is just to see there is effort, and bloody hell is there effort because they're going in hard.
But skill errors and all, its just going to be fun watching it change and develop!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just got to watch the replay of Crows vs GWS and early indicators are that I am good at picking favourite players IMO.

And I guess being an actual professional athlete in another sport already gives a bit of a leg up. Start poaching more WNBA players IMO, AFLW.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Actually playing together as a team for more than one match will probably help the handball receives a bit too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

In the games I was able to see some vision of, the leading team was better at all-round ball handling skills, particularly chasing the ball down and managing it under attack. But this is to be expected in a beginner's league, it'll improve.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So turns out that not only was Eddie not at the AFLW opening match because of his prior committments to host geriatrics snotting each other, neither was the Pies CEO Pert. There were clubs represented at the AFL function who don't have a women's team. Horrible image from Collingwood leadership.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is it sad that I'm more hyped about watching a game of AFL Women's in February then I am about watching Australia A vs New Zealand in the cricket?

It's not even just the ODI factor, even if it was a Test I'd be treating it about as seriously as Cricket Australia apparently are.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CA has real problems right now, and I'm not sure they even realise half of them, or just how much danger from the AFL they're in, they're just far too adept at head in the sand.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

So turns out that not only was Eddie not at the AFLW opening match because of his prior committments to host geriatrics snotting each other, neither was the Pies CEO Pert. There were clubs represented at the AFL function who don't have a women's team. Horrible image from Collingwood leadership.

I'd heard about Eddie and that was a poo poo effort, but Pert too? Come the gently caress on, guys.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Collingwood poo poo, I'm shocked

https://twitter.com/sarahperkins28/status/827819399998427136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
:iceburn::stwoon:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

CA has the big bash. They're fine.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Giffed a few passages of play last night. Not doing this too much because gently caress uploading things on adsl2.

http://i.imgur.com/m6bLQZN.gifv
Collingwood's Jasmine Garner (#43) who will go down in history as the first-ever goal kicker in the AFLW competition. Garner marked strongly inside 50 before cooly slotting her chance from 30m out directly in front of goal to an ecstatic crowd.

http://i.imgur.com/RgY4KCz.gifv
Nat Exon (#15) lays a heavy tackle on Lauren Tesoriero (#7, Collingwood) in the centre square while Gabriella Pound (#6) collects the ball and kicks it forward to Lauren Arnell (Captain, #13) who goals after an assist from Darcy Vescio (#3).

http://i.imgur.com/pyj8Jv7.gifv
Natalie Plane (#32) shrugs off a tackle and kicks to Darcey Vescio.

http://i.imgur.com/QTcsGZQ.gifv
Brianna Davey on Collingwood's Emma Grant (#5) late in the second quarter and is knocked out for a few seconds. Later fails a concussion test and sits out the rest of the game on the bench.

http://i.imgur.com/Y5hVHMX.gifv
After a pickup by Vescio and a handpass from Tilly Lucas-rodd (#18) Brianna Davey (#1) kicks from 30 metres out, directly infront.

http://i.imgur.com/0VYyKmk.gifv
Vescio kicks her third

http://i.imgur.com/lKObN5b.gifv
Bianca Jakobsson (#35) takes a solid overhead mark on the back of her team mate Katie Jones (#2)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nice DDT by Tesoriero

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Melbourne Vs Brisbane begins in 5 minutes down at Casey Fields in Cranbourne East. Bit of rain on the way so it'll probably be a wet game all game.

Stream & match centre is here: http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/match-centre?matchid=100640104&competitionid=10064

Also this is real awesome.
https://twitter.com/katemccarthy24/status/828033032867106816

Edit: Solid crowd there. Possibly at least 5,000 from first looks.

Edit 2: Tayla Harris :swoon:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 5, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The wind at casey fields living up to its reputation. There's a reason only two or three away teams kicked more than like 40 points last VFL season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also I'm still a bit miffed that Brisbane poached both our key forwards as their marquee players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

The wind at casey fields living up to its reputation. There's a reason only two or three away teams kicked more than like 40 points last VFL season.

Yeah, Casey Fields is an apt name, it is in the middle of some fields with housing estates being built around it. Zero wind breaks, not many established trees. The rain isn't helping either. Great crowd though, the ground is packed despite the wet.

• Locked thread