Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

OP is excellent. FOOOTAAAYYYY

I vote we have a rolling thread title too (if it's possible for OP to update it? or is that a mods-only thing?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Ooooooh pre-season games start in less than 2 weeks!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What is the simplest AFL fantasy game going around, in terms of weekly/unfront time investment required? If any?

Something beyond tipping, but not supercoach, would be ideal. I loved Supercoach back in the day when I had more free time (and was good at it because i had so much time), but now I just can't fit in the research needed to be good.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

quote:

Rising defender Jayden Hunt looks like taking his game to a new level in 2017.

Hunt's competitiveness, raw speed and ability to break the game open were on full display, as he was best afield in the match practice.

Hunt, judged Melbourne's best young player by the club's coaching staff last year – despite not being nominated for the NAB AFL Rising Star award – has bulked up considerably and has been one of Melbourne's best trainers this pre-season.

:swoon:

I can't wait for him to have some ridiculous line-breaking 30 disposal game this year where the rest of the league goes "holy poo poo"

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

UUGGHHHH the footage of Sam Day dislocating his hip looks painful as gently caress. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

There's a debate going on about getting rid of the bounce, and I'm all for it. Sure the sentiment of keeping it is nice, but the flat feeling when there's a shithouse centre bounce is something the game could do without. Even the fact that it's lopsided just makes ruck contents unfair occasionally, compared to just throwing it up. Make the umpires jobs easier.

quote:

Jordan Bannister
‏@JordanBannister

Great decision makers don't umpire AFL if they can't bounce. Best decision makers should be the priority. Not bouncing like a globetrotter 🙄

Interesting insight from Bannister.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

P.S. Joel Selwoods a grade a fuckwit

Does this now apply to Moana Hope too or she exempt cos AFL WOMENS

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/collingwood-magpies-womens-player-moana-hope-booked-for-speeding/

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Liam Jones took a sick hanger

https://streamable.com/dorjv

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHwKSVc5mrE

:swoon: :gizz:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm obviously very biased, but the Saints vs. Dees looks like it could be the best game of the opening round?

Ess vs. Hawks also interests me for both teams, i'm curious to see where Collingwood are at (and how WB start), and if Adelaide knock off GWS it would surely start waaaaay too early media commentary about both teams.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

GAME DAY

DEES PALING
TODAY

TODAY!!!

FOTOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEEPY UO EYES ON THE RED AND THE BLUE!!!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Clayton Oliver owns so much, he does like matrix time warping poo poo to fire off his quick handballs. Kid isn't even 20 yet either.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Massive dominance in hit-outs, clearances and inside 50s to the Dockers yet getting beaten comprehensively. Unusual.

Round 1 is done. Yay footy! It was too warm and too sunny this weekend to feel like proper footy season, but the cold is on the way in Melbourne (and daylight savings ends next weekend).

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Seriously why did Collingwood recruit Chris Mayne? Your forward line is poo poo at the moment but he certainly doesn't help

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

You Am I posted:

Is Richmond going to do the same thing as what Norf did last season?

They play WCE, Bris, Melb, Adelaide and WB in the next 5 weeks. Brisbane are away too so they could lose all five of those.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I don't feel like the standard of footy has been very good so far but it's pretty cool that i have pretty much no idea who will win any games next week. The only team that looks properly garbage an incapable of winning is Gold Coast, but then they could have a good game this afternoon and it'll just confuse everything further.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Windmill Hut posted:

I don't feel like the standard of footy has been very good so far but it's pretty cool that i have pretty much no idea who will win any games next week. The only team that looks properly garbage and incapable of winning is Gold Coast, but then they could have a good game this afternoon and it'll just confuse everything further.

WELP

Not just a "good game" but they won and won by a loving huge margin. Hawks are last on the ladder after three rounds. Absolutely crazy.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Also Tyrone vickery is a crab. 3 years? Fkn lol.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Jesse Hogan filmed having a dart at a music festival in WA.

Gawn was on the smokes as a youngster and he's All-Australian so i have high hopes for Hoges.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Walker :getin:

This game owns

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Who is the worse 5-0 team: 2016 Kangas or 2017 Tigers?

I'm going the latter. They should not be 5-0.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Capitulation is a bit rough on the Dees. I'm devastated, and it's really really ruining my week that our season is now shot - but after Spencer and Smith went down there was no way we were going to win without 30+ point lead going in the last quarter.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Kinda hate Fantasia but he's pretty good

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The MCG was really loving loud with 85k on Monday night. It was mostly Tigers fans, and when they hit the front in the third the crowd went absolutely berserk.

It sucked.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Recruiting state-league players mid year would be an interesting one. I assume that state league players who know they are a chance to be drafted would give their current employers notice that they may have to quit their job immediately, and would then have comfort in the fact that if they do get drafted, they're be quitting their job for at least a year of AFL employment (2 years for national draft).

If you were recruited mid-year, you'd have to quit your job but it may only be for a few months, with absolutely no guarantee that you'll get picked up permanently the following year. I'd argue these top-up players would need an increased match payments to cover for this?

I accept that playing AFL football is a different thing to 'normal' jobs, but most people wouldn't take a temp contract when already working full time.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Ablett is great and anyone who boos him can get stuffed

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Deliberate out of bounds is ruining the game. It's hosed.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Vince is done

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

AFLs rules are broken and the umpires are shocking at interpreting even the simplest of rules. It's ruining the game and gets worse every year.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Apparently handballing while being tackled is holding the ball too

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

Tom McDonald currently BOG

His brother might be worst

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Periphery posted:

Hunt should be shot for wearing that headband.

it's amazing

everything hunt does is amazing

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Cats finally having a loss. They aren't that food.

Adelaide and GWS the only teams I 'trust'. Port are looking good too.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

How is this FIFTY SIX TO ZERO??

How have Adelaide NOT SCORED???

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

NORTH KICKED ANOTHER WTF

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Apparently Lindsay Thomas clocked a bloke in the VFL and he had to be taken off on a stretcher. Described as being similar to Lloyd on Sewell.

Possibly 6-8 weeks suspension and AFL career done.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Good finish that.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

That ITB against Oliver was garbage. Resulted in a goal too.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

If any of you missed it, do yourself a favour and watch Clayton Oliver's GOTY. It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Angus Brayshaw's career might be over. He has suffered another concussion - i think that is 3 or possibly 4 this year? And 5 or 6 in the last 12 months. Apparently it was pretty much just a typical tackle/bump you'd see a hundred times a game.

At the very very least he needs to be taken out of the game for the remainder of the year.

• Locked thread