Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cmon Crows, put them away. I can't believe how the Cats half-arsed their way this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EDDIE BETTTTTTTSSSS

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ahahahahaha. Mick Molloy will be unstoppable this week lol.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

drunkill posted:

Trade Dangerfield.

Unironically this. I don't know what else will force half that team to work harder. GWS also need a good hard look at themselves after that final.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Even the guy at my local alcohol shop think it'd be nice for the Tigers to win and he's a Melbourne fan. There's always the excuse of supporting a Victorian team, I guess.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

realbez posted:

Carn the Tigers!

Same. Cut them some slack, it's been a long journey for them and as a Saints fan I can't look down on them for that achievement. I think the Crows are a big ask to beat, but if they maintain some good old one on one intensity for long enough I think they can squeak it through. But if they freak out at the occasion and the Crows can get their run on, it could be a landslide. I just want a good game whoever wins.

(won't stop me yelling EDDIE BETTTS though, you can't stop that man)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm almost shocked that we had a not-bad band for the GF who did an Oils cover. :iiam:

monolithburger posted:

I dunno, the 04/05 prelims sure tore my heart out as a barely teenaged Saints fan. The GF losses I managed to shut out most of the horror somehow.

It was the GF for me, just furious that the team didn't want it enough, it was there if they wanted it, they cbf and then they blamed the coach.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Tigers want this enough. That's the lesson for a Saints fan.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Crows certainly got booed :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Classic Betts sneak!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Holy crap, Jack!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/clairebbbear/status/913989941234868229

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Inb4 crows stole GF.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Umpiring aside, Richmond is doing what I thought they should, its hard one on one, and Adelaide aren't able to run like they want. But that umpiring is your classic bad GF stuff.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DARE TO DREAM :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"what's he doing?"
"he's beginning to believe!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/adamliaw/status/914010424491769856

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That is a killer blow.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah I think I'll be able to hear it from Bendigo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry about your town, Melbourne :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doc Holliday posted:

Who would have ever thought that Jack would be the premiership winning Riewoldt?

At least one of them managed it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crows lost their bottle. Didn't want it. That's the difference.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

So now it's back to 7-8. poo poo ebbs and flows. The only other current stadium with a capacity even close to the MCG's is, ugh, Stadium Australia, which is a hole and might get demolished or at least significantly reconfigured in the next decade. (Also, the first game on my list was of course Waverley which could house 80,000 but of course that's gone now, replaced by Docklands as a major venue.)

Given the screeching for tickets, there is really only one option in the country at this stage. In 20 years time? If Perth's new stadium gets stretched out to 80,000? It's possible.

I think that's a fairly good look at it, but I also notice from the stats that the good teams that have usually made at least the finals almost always win at home and win significant amounts away and they have done so for quite a few years. Compare the top teams in the last 10 years to the lower teams and it really stands out. You can't win in this game unless doing that or it's a really freaky occurrence when a team does.

So I would discount a lot of what fans think of as HGA. What is it about those teams that do well that overcomes such apparent obstacles? Managing travel and familiarity surely must be baseline coaching attributes in the modern game as much as injuries and attitude. No one is going to agree about umpiring, but could it be the umpires familiarity with the ground more than the teams perhaps? Or do the teams attitude at home actually count for more than away, affected by such things as supporters (because I've seen that trotted out in this thread as an excuse), and recovery as well as the above reasons?

Questions like that get me annoyed about the lack of good stats that might shed light on them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Brisbane and GC, and there's also a huge commercial advantage to success for certain old large VFL clubs who have been nowhere near it for a while, ie Richmond, Essendon, Carlton

I'd look into that if I were you, clearly Adelaide players were bribed to play like poo poo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

It could feel like teams aren't "there" since they don't have a recent history of success that makes them appear like the reigning powerhouses Hawthorn and Sydney were. Adelaide had some bad games but they felt apart from the pack to me, dominating the top 4 sides except on Saturday. Jury's out on whether Richmond are at the start of something big or had one good year, but aside from some marquee Richmonding they were consistently very good. They won their finals by an average of 40 points or thereabouts.

Just to argue the other side of the dumb argument from salty Crows, look at how many teams regularly lose at home. Or just remember how Brisbane dominated GFs (or WCE, etc). Adelaide beat Hawthorn at the G in round 2 (well it was April Fools Day). There's this sense from the salty ones that there has to be some underlying logic under this but look at this bizarre season and you realise it's just luck whatever the preparation. GWS gets thrashed by Swans, yes, then they go and smash Hawthorn the next week.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

racing identity posted:

Even if we go back to 1987, there's only
Been one extra occasion where an interstate side has defeated a side who plays home games at the MCG (1998). The others were all sides who played at Waverley or Katrina Park

What could it be?! :iiam: I wonder what those master criminals at the MCG are cooking up for next year!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

boy undead posted:

Gresh was taken with the pick upgrade we got for trading out pick 5 for Carlisle so I'm just being a smug bastard about it.

Saints will train them up and ship them out when the cap is reached or the trade is right, whichever comes first. Best training team ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Saints haven't lost a game yet woohoo :woop:

• Locked thread