Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thepokey posted:

Essendon would be keen to set up a trade with St Kilda for Yestin Eades. Maybe take their first round pick or Billings or something

We'll probably get someone decent, there's going to be about $1 million in cap space without even taking into account someone like Watson retiring at years end.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anyone know what the deal is with the Telstra AFL season pass thing I get for free for being a Telstra customer? Does that let me stream games?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

Yes, you can stream games all year on your phone or tablet, but not a computer. I think if you have android you can cast it to a TV but it won't look great on a big screen. And the data is unmetered as a Telstra customer.*

*provided you stream it from your mobile connection or your internet is also with Telstra.

gently caress, I was hoping to get it on the computer. Who thought making people squint at a little phone screen for 4 quarters of footy would be a good idea?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

Foxtel and their TV deal.

That'd be right. I wonder if AFLDude will be back this season

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Good on her, but who the gently caress is going to take the helm as the only good footy journo?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

Am I the only one watching this?

I am, but it's hard to watch and post at the same time when it's on the phone

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

my internet can't even handle the 500kbps option on watchafl gently caress this whole earth

My stream has shat itself too

doesn't even look like any of the dubious ones I know of have the game either ffs

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

Has anyone else noticed that a bunch of players from both teams have things taped behind their ears? The only thing I can think it'd be would be some kind of sensor taking data as part of some study on concussion (but I have no idea).

That's exactly what it is

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The phone app live stream keeps crashing, a lot of reeeaally pissed off customers on their crowd support forum thingy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Pity about the streaming making it hard to watch the game. From what I did see it looks like Fantasia has picked up where he left off last year and it was good to see the returning players make it through without any injuries and looking in reasonable touch.

I thought Langford might have done a bit more given the way his preseason has been talked about.

snaeksikn posted:

Is Mcdonald-Tipingwuti rocking a Mohawk now?

I think it's a dreadhawk pulled back into a manbun

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Question: for the AFLW teams, 9000 was described as being a pretty good crowd. (And it was probably a bigger crowd than, for example, GWS had in some of its year one matches.) How big do we reckon crowds will eventually get? Will it be big enough to warrant maybe using actual AFL ovals?

And if not, would there maybe be room to expand AFLW into states that don't have AFL sides due to smaller populations? Like for example, one suggested reason Tassie doesn't have an AFL team has been that they have a relatively small population split up between Launceston and Hobart, but if they're not aiming for the 50,000 or so strong crowds that you get in the AFL, could Tassie sustain an AFLW team just as easily as one of the bigger states does?

They could have them in AFL grounds right now you'd think, just put a bunch of tarps out

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

David Myers broke again

6 weeks for a ruptured finger tendon. at least he shouldn't have lost any fitness with an injury like that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hahahahahahaha suck a gently caress you piss drinking idiot David Koch.

After all the loving bullshit maneuvering you did to make Gold Coast give up their home game for your China experiment, you try to also get them to wear their away strip so your opposition won't be playing in the colours of the chinese flag.

You chuck a massive tantrum about it and threaten them and then the AFL tells you to sit the gently caress down because Gold Coast are entitled to wear their home strip for their home game.

What a loving embarassing nong of a president.

NTRabbit posted:

They also made a big deal out of taking over an already functioning women's team in the state ammos, and taking over the women's academy from the SANFL, to which the SANFL replied thanks for offering to help, but we're still running the academy, and the ammo team is so well supported by Port that it was kicked out for a year for failing to pay fees, and - according to people involved with other teams - doesn't have enough players to make a team more often than not, and the first season of the SANFL Women's league is instead being contested by Norwood, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, and Glenelg.

Apparently a press conference and a photo op with Erin Phillips in a port guernsey was about as far as it went.

dude comes across as a deadset peanut, hopefully he has the influence at Port to be impossible to remove and runs his lovely club into the ground

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

Aren't they already appealing the appeal or some crap based on 'new evidence' or something? As you can tell I was very interested in yet more drug saga so I gave it a lot of attention.

Some group not affiliated with the club have appealed to the minister to review the case (there's actually a bit of support for this, the Greens want some sort of review into the way ASADA handled the case). Some other group also not affiliated with the club have sent a bunch of writs to the AFL demanding something.

Meanwhile the club is pretty keen to move on, as are most fans.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thepokey posted:

If some people external and separate to the club in whatever capacity want to appeal, or hell, not appeal, just investigate ASADA's investigation as to how it was bungled/made worse than it should have been - hey go for it. Even though Essendon's shoddy book keeping and Hird's appealing etc made ASADA's job 10x harder. If it's Essendon themselves, gently caress right off. What would appealing AGAIN achieve? You can't take back the time the players were suspended. If you cleared the name/got Jobe's medal back...eh, I'd say the ability to move on here and now means more. That said, I doubt Essendon want anything more to do with it themselves now. They've settled all the lawsuits, the suspensions are done, the shitstains responsible are cleared out. As the kids like to sing - let it go, let it goooo

It's not Essendon. They'd probably prefer these fan groups didn't bother at all because it just fills the back pages with stuff the club would much rather be moving on from.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thepokey posted:

Constant "unknown error" when trying to play watchafl for the Bombers game. What a service.

I'm trying to watch it via the phone app and keep getting a message 'Can't play this video'

Good work Telstra

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thepokey posted:

I got it working briefly in the third quarter. Was great quality and no buffering or anything when it did. Then back to unknown error.

But, uh, was Daniher injured because I didn't see him at all then saw he had 1 handball for -1 DT point on the footy live app.

he had 60 or so % game time so he wasn't off the ground. It was his first game back from injury though and he might have lacked a bit of fitness

probably doesn't matter if Begley can make habit of performances like that though

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

Liam Jones took a sick hanger

https://streamable.com/dorjv

how is he still on an afl list?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

how long before they go full BCCI and ban electronic devices from games lest a grainy, unsteady 30s clip of a goal end up on facebook?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Today I found out that Ellie Blackburn works at my local Aldi

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

2 disgruntled former employees getting a bit of revenge is the club's take on it. Wallis in particular is pretty annoyed his son got delisted last year

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Whatever it takes

Also elliots dad and dean wallis are under police investigation for harassment and blackmail of Essendon and afl staff

the guy with a source inside the club reckons that stories like this and the leaked tape of the meeting are going to occur sporadically for the next little while as the various participants try to settle scores or make themselves look better

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Reminder we're boycotting Coopers now, so find an alternative beer to drink while watching the football

West End

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

James Hird has a gig writing for the Hun now, sounds like he's doing a lot better.

Also apparently Lockett is right into his endurance motorbike racing which might be one reason he lost so much weight

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thepokey posted:

I have a feeling round 1 is going to be pretty ugly for us. We might have a patch of play which we serve it up to the Hawks, but otherwise I feel like they're going to run rampant on us.

yeah

I know a lot of bomber fans are pretty bullish about it but Hawthorn is always going to be a tough ask

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'd be disappointed if Essendon finish in the bottom 3 as most people are suggesting given there's a bunch of players back and they don't have the mental strain of the drugs scandal hanging over them any more

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

idgi

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

good to see sliding doors is still a gigantic pile of poo poo too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That Fantasia bloke goes alright

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Essendon fans are going to be insufferable this week

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO OUR COMEBACK STORY

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nah hawks are just loving cooked, trading out your 1st and 2nd b&f finishers for peanuts doesn't improve your team it seems

Having Clarkson's system up in Queensland doing a demolition job on Gold Coast probably doesn't help either

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

get that up ya

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Hawks are definitely cooked, but that's not the whole story. Essendon have a working midfield, lots of goalkickers, they can do well.

it's not like the returning players spent their entire time out of the game sitting on their arses either, they all trained hard and came back with excellent fitness

it was a bit like a 12 month preseason

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

There's a big difference between training fitness and match fitness though, and I'm still thinking we'll see that play out in the season.

blokes tend to come back ok fitness-wise after taking a year off with an ACL, I doubt the returning players will be any worse off than that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

It's a rebuild boys!

they're a bit hard without any draft picks

maybe they can trade out a few more legends of the game for 5th round picks and start from there

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

Clayton Oliver owns so much, he does like matrix time warping poo poo to fire off his quick handballs. Kid isn't even 20 yet either.

Parish is pretty good but I'm still a bit annoyed we didn't choose Oliver instead

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snoremac posted:

Can someone who watched the game explain the Ess vs. Haw result to me??? I get that all the drug dudes returned but still...

Did they suffer from the absence of Lewis and Mitchell?

Hawks are old and slow, Essendon exposed that with their quicker players. The Hawks were also missing their leaders in Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis. The new guys in O'Meara, Mitchell and Vickery don't play like the old Hawthorn from the sounds of things, lots of selfishness or hacked kicks forward out of a contest instead spotting a loose man.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Telstra AFL live is stupid, I'm logged in to my account on my phone and it says I have a free subscription until 2018, I log in to the same account on my desktop and it says I have no subscription

I asked Telstra about this and apparently your subscription is only for the device you paid for it on so in my case where I got it as part of my phone plan with Telstra and it had to be set up through the phone I can only watch it on the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

SEN is always like that, it's just manufactured controversy to get the bogans listening

What on earth has happened to Freo? They don't look a whole lot better than last year

• Locked thread