Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Are we going to need to have the designated rucks in different coloured jumpers or something

Netball bibs, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

pkid posted:

Speaking of streaming etc, I know Telstra has unmetered streaming of games on Telstra phones.
Has anyone hooked their phone up to their TV to try it that way?

I have Foxtel and I loving hate it and want to get rid of it but it has the footy and I like being able to just hang out and know it's going to work and look good without too much fuss.
But if I could hook my phone up to my TV and watch unmetered I would sign up to Telstra's cheapest plan and go that route.

I think someone in this thread was able to get it up and running with a chromecast box last year maybe? I don't think the quality comes out the best on a big screen though.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The women's shorts are really cool

Digging the 70s track and field vibe, wish the men's uniforms can take some inspiration from them

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Erin Phillips is shredded

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

so now that i've come into a bit of cash i'm actually thinking of buying a proper AFL Membership (it doesn't hurt that they come with the international streaming) and like a true Yank plastic i'm trying to size up who'd i'd actually buy it from, right down to seeing who'll give me the most/best poo poo for my dollar. right now i'm down to:

--carlton (the local AFL team I play for is called the Blues and has a link-up with them)
--essendon (my dad bought me a long-sleeved Essendon jumper when he went to Melbourne once on business, because I remember watching James Hird on late-night AFL coverage here and he always wore long sleeves)
--richmond (the university I attended is the Tigers whose colors are black-and-gold, plus We're From Tigerland is a cracking club song)
--freo (when my AFL team plays as part of a combined side with other teams nearby we adopt Cincy's identity which is the Dockers, down to fairly recent Freo kits)

also, yes I can't wait to start playing again. i'm actually working on fitness this year ahead of the season, plus recruited a couple guys to come and play.

I'd recommend spending the year watching what games you can then following whichever team is the most fun to watch. Then you will know you will be able to get a proper emotional stake in the team from the on, rather than taking the punt on one side and having them stink it up for the year

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

One thing about the lower scoring and fewer teams is that percentage is going to play a much larger part in proceedings than in the men's

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Pats are the American Hawthorn

gently caress Hawthorn and gently caress the Pats

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

champion data continue their quest towards irrelevance by ranking Peter Wright as the best 20 year in the game since they started tracking this stuff in 2010. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cha...2331f673abea213

the gist of it:

foxfooty posted:

Wright’s rating of 11.1 is better than Cameron (10.7), Jack Darling (10.0), Hogan (9.8), Walker (9.0), Joe Daniher (7.4), Lynch (7.4) and Jack Gunston (7.3). This may come as a surprise seeing, of the aforementioned group, he has only kicked more goals than Lynch and Gunston at the same age.

note that cameron was the coleman runner up at age 20 with 62 goals for the year. apparently wrights 4.2 hitout per game average sealed the deal in the rankings.

what are champion data smoking?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

realbez posted:

I thought Wright looked scary good last year

looking scary good and having a scary good output across the duration measured are two different things. i dont know in a sane world how anyone could have rated wrights output higher than camerons at the same age (and because i am honour bound by this topic, hogans too)

its not a knock on wright as being poo poo, he looks to have enormous upside but like many of champion datas recent rankings, it feels like they crunched the numbers to some arbitrary formulas and then just ran with whatever was spat out rather than stopping and rationalising whether they could genuinely justify the output as being sane or reasonable

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i like that the crows addressed their midfield weakness during the trade period by trading away a 22yr old midfielder who played 21 games that year

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

viney has been named co-captain to join nate jones in the role

not sure i agree with that, jones does a fantastic job and while viney is great on the field he can barely string two words together in front of a mic and is still very young. would have much preferred him having at least another year or two under the belt before stepping up

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

its a bit of an interesting one, viney very nearly took out the b&f in 2015 despite missing 7 games and then won the 2016 award, so there's not much else he could do from his point of view to state his intent beyond 'be older'. i guess we will see how he goes, but it feels a bit unnecessary when jones is already doing such a great job and has a number of years on viney, its not like it was a 'now or never' moment from a timing point of view.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

3 touches to Mo Hope in the opening 2 minutes. This won't go well for the Dees

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Dees looked super good in that second half

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

poo poo, missed Brisbane v Freo

Brisbane's away wins are going to come in very handy at the end of the season

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also looking at the player stats, are they not doing SC score or player rating calculations?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The player she knocked out also ruptured her hamstring moments before the hit and will miss the rest of the season. Talk about unlucky

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

bit rough on mundy

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Testekill posted:

So the Saints are obviously going to throw their money at Martin now since they were pretty keen on chasing Fyfe. Either that or they'll try something like dislodging Hopper or Shiel from GWS because the GWS cap is full to bursting.

Fyfe still hasn't signed, so there's still an incredibly slim chance he could be dislodged from Freo

That said I reckon they will announce a new deal within the first month of the season if not sooner

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Saw this on instagram last and thought it was pretty swell

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Playing for the Dees seems like more of a nightmare than a dream tho

the @carltondraft_ instagram shop has a sense of humour about the rest of footy, this is oddly enough one of their only serious designs

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Is Mcdonald-Tipingwuti rocking a Mohawk now?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

nearly every top comment on the AFL fb's most recent posts are people bitching them out about it, the non-telstra customers who forked out for it are (rightfully) furious

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Just throwing it out there: what new Broadcast Agreement?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

remember chris judd's visy ambassadorship to come to carlton?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I much prefer this away jumper for the Dees. They've gone from the redlegs to the redbacks

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Jake Spencer is going for the Danny Rand look I see

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Windmill Hut posted:

UUGGHHHH the footage of Sam Day dislocating his hip looks painful as gently caress. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

Yep. Not the worst I've ever seen (Robbie Gray still holds that honour) but yeah he's hosed.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Josh Wagner dislocated his fibula against the Dogs. Ouch

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The fb comments on foxfooty were about what you'd expect from the people trying to defend his dad "How can we deport this guy but the AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT pays for TERRORISTS to live in this country??? Double standards!!"

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

how many coaches have been sacked within a week of winning their last game?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

rig up a claw hanging down from spider cables in the middle of the stadium which drops the ball at the beginning of each quarter, problem solved

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Set the footy in the middle of the center square and let the players run to grab it when the siren goes off.

Set multiples footies in the middle of the ground and teams have to rush to get them, dodge ball style

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Despite the AFL's insistence of screwing with the rules every year they still consider the 50m penalty for the protected zone to be acceptable.

Ridiculous.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i hope someone beats either adelaide or brisbane in the next couple of rounds (adelaide v melbourne in 2 weeks would be a great time for it) because it would be boring for 2 undefeated sides to just cruise to the final all season.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also mason wood is going to be out injured for the next couple of months and ben jacobs has re-broken his foot but fox footy are still trying to pump up north's chances this year

i guess if north does poo poo people forget they exist?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide v Brisbane is on next Saturday night at The Parade, so you'll get your wish

i literally checked the fixture before making that post, i have no idea how i missed that

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Has anyone watched that documentary Trophy Kids? It's on Netflix. It sure is something.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

what a loving prat. forcing GC to play it as their home game then try to put them over the barrel about it over which jumper to wear. its like they've taken up all their frustration about collingwood not letting them wear black and white and projected it onto gold coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

just throwing the idea out there - but lets looks at the long term likelihood of whats going to happen from capitalising on the market in china. if the game takes in a burgeoning domestic sports scene with new leagues getting set up they wont be exporting players to australia, if anything they will be hiring players from australia to play in china. so on the extremely slim chance this all goes gangbusters the long term effect will be a talent drain to the australian pool of players, which was only recently diluted by the new expansion teams.

• Locked thread