Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

When was the last bulldogs losing grand final

I think it was something like 1961; I think Hawthorns first ever GF win was the Bulldogs last appearance until last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Brisbane and GC, and there's also a huge commercial advantage to success for certain old large VFL clubs who have been nowhere near it for a while, ie Richmond, Essendon, Carlton

I have a feeling that unless the Dogs turn things around big time next year, they're about to prove that it only matters if you don't have massive issues lingering in the background.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hawks have sacked their CEO five months into the job :siren:CLUB IN CRISIS:siren:

Yeah like what the gently caress.
Were they unaware of who they were hiring?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

How does free agency compo work exactly?

Motlop was on a big fat contract because of his '13 form, and reportedly that a big part of the problem with him is that he was simply being paid too much. Do we get extra good cool compo if he leaves because we put him on a big contract or does it depend on the contract Port stick him on? I know the latter seems more sensible but this is the AFL so I genuinely don't know.

It's the latter.
If it works like it did a couple years ago then the AFL comes out with these bands of which salary get what draft pick.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

boy undead posted:

He was traded because he requested a trade, that's it. Watters tried to get him to stay but he'd made up his mind by that point.

Every now and then you'll see a trade or a move from a player where it's progressed so far that even if big things change and neither party actually wanted the player to move on the player is so committed to moving they'll do it anyway. I think we'll see it rear it's head again with Menzel if Geelong can't get Ablett back.
See: Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

racing identity posted:

Most of the Big Four draftees are father-sons, if you catch my drift

And these days large chunks of the public service are really just a bunch of free agents coasting on the coat-tails of one spectacularly talented team mate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Fits the subject like a glove.

gay picnic defence posted:

Everyone knows what has been said. The view is that pick 11 without getting anything back is entirely unreasonable given Stringer's mental health issues and the fact he's essentially been kicked out. There was an offer of 11 for Stringer and 26 but that was flatly rejected for some reason.

Because Stringer is worth more than 11 on his own if he goes to the right environment and everyone in the AFL universe knows that. Dodoro pulls this poo poo every time and it's far from loving endearing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

thepokey posted:

Can't believe I'm going to agree with Terry Wallace, but these are the post Richmond as premiers strange times. Stringer without any of his issues is worth pick 11. But with everything that's gone on with him he's more worth somewhere between 15 - 25 and that seems more fair. Also, does Terry Wallace have the most annoying voice in football?

a mid-first round draft pick for stringer and a mid-second has the potential to be the kind of bargain list managers should get fired for.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

racing identity posted:

The internet was a mistake

The internet is fine, the Web 2.0 was the loving mistake.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Like this is the weird part of the AFL.

In the NHL there'd be some conversation about it. You could go to the GM and say "hey, somethings going on and I want to be home right now" (see: Travis Hamonic) but ultimately it's in the GM's hands. It's pretty rare to see a player go "I want to go to the New York Rangers" and see the GM make it happen. If you aren't a Free Agent you have zero power (not strictly true, if you're about to be a free agent you can indicate you're going to demand too much for your team to pay and get them to trade you but you're not gonna have any say in where they trade you to, and when you sign you can set up a "do not trade me here" clause).
In the AFL you can go to your Coach or List Manager or whoever and say "I want to go to (for example) the Hawks" and for some bizzaroworld reason it's just taken that you have to go there. The more I watch the NHL the more I realise that I probably prefer the dynamic the NHL has where players have some say in it and can tilt the table and end up where they want to (see: Kevin Shattenkirk) but while you're contracted the team has all the power. Also the the thing being traded is your contract so whoever trades for you has to pay what you signed for or trade more assets for another team to share the hit. It feels like there's a sense of balance where the teams get what they can from the player and the player still has the ultimate choice through free agency (most of the time, sometimes they do get screwed, see: Andrei Markov).

That mostly applies to Lever; I think he absolutely gamed a rigged system and Adelaide are the big losers for it.

The Ablett thing is just radioactive right now.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 13, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Should probably have labelled them as the potential big losers. They're losing a known quantity and exciting talent in exchange for two tickets in the lucky dip.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shmoses posted:

A 2.4m woman of any kind would be the tallest woman alive

I'd take some convincing that the tallest woman alive isn't Liz Cambage. She's freaking massive.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

lmao :wtc:
How the gently caress is that better than pick 11 for Stringer and 26?

9, 25 and 30 for 13 makes no sense at all. I'm assuming that 2018 picks are involved, but even that makes no sense.

Also, the Dogs are now in a position where they're going full fire-sale. They clearly need him gone and Dodoro is gonna end up winning. Again. There's no loving justice in this world.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

We're probably end up calling ours The Tip or something.

Officially it'll be something stupid like "the Nest" or something, but if SASAFL doesn't call it "the Dingley Tip" I'll be seriously disappointed

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

I dunno, it works in other sports and would allow for draft picks to be traded across the floor based on the evolution of the draft. Could work, probably wont.

other sports have trading periods that last until halfway through the loving season.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Oh, I agree. Freo must have done something to get him to stick around

I think Port couldn't afford him and the (?the second time he tried to go across?) Crows opted to go for Wayne "like a decade past his prime" Carey which steamed him so much he decided to say "gently caress you" to SA and bedded down in Perth.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

The new CEO of the Hawks on SEN this morning noted that Ty's contract is included in next years salary cap.

Yeah, but importantly he can't play for us

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Italy and Netherlands have old teams and increasingly creaky domestic leagues, has a bit to do with it. (The Hawks analogy is apt too.) Holland (it's OK to call the football team Holland) are usually my second team so I am a little sad for that (especially since they missed at the last Euros as well), but as for Italy, meh.

Considering Italy did what they usually do in the Euro, them getting knocked out is a huge surprise.
The Dutch usually find new and inspiring ways to underachieve, so it's heartening to see them reach for new heights of underachievement.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

This is cool and good. Doesnt buddy still have like 6 years on his contract left?

This was brought up when he signed it. I don't think this has seen an official response.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Gary Ablett is being investigated by VicPol for sexual assault

Gary Ablett Sr, just to clarify.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

It did get an official response. The afl told Sydney when they made the offer that they would be held to it. If they didn’t hold clubs to the contracts they offer free agents, they’d just offer twenty year deals to win the player and then renege later saying “lol oops we didn’t think he’d retire”

Oh god yes.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

Talking on the radio about mid-season trading becoming a thing next year :jerry:

It's a thing in American sports and works pretty well in the NHL and NBA. I could absolutely see it falling to pieces here.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

the bundaberg burgundee creaming soda is the best by a long way

The Bundaberg soft drinks are amazing. The blood orange is good but the creaming soda and whatever the hell the other one I tried was were pretty good too.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

If decides to be some accountant or lawyer being a Dees supporter and MCC member will surely help his career prospects

Hawthorn are due to return to their pre-1950 form any day now.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I haven't seen a Jaeger O'meara injury report yet either.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I like how you can tell when the Hawthorn/Melbourne merger would've happened based on Hawthorn's member base doubling and Melbourne's slight growth.

Also the numbers of "non-access members" Essendon and Collingwood have.
I understand West Coast's numbers - there's no point buying an access membership if you're going on a waiting list anyway - but what's going on with those two?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cmndstab posted:

That's right, Volker and otf are different people, my bad!

I tried to talk Volkerball into being a Crows fan, but he'd already committed to GC apparently. Not that we have any more flags than Gold Coast since Volker started but I think we've been a bit more fun to watch...

At the time it was perceived to be injuries and bad luck that had kept the Suns from being successful, when it was actually the presence of two diametrically opposed mega-cancers and one of the most dysfunctional offices since... oh hey Brisbane, didn't see you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Volkerball posted:

It was my idea to support the suns because I wanted to pick a new team, and GWS didn't have Ablett. It worked out real well for me. Oh well, it's been fun in its own way. I was inspired to pick up a cocaine habit by following the suns, and that's been really good.

Looking up the timeline, I would've picked up the Suns at the end of 2013. So Jaeger O'Meara was the rising star and Jack Martin was coming in the next season and was probably going to be the rising star then. Loaded young team with the best player in the game as their captain. :sigh: Ablett's 2014 ruled at least. Nothing else really panned out except Lynch. Oh well, I already forced myself to hate GWS so there's no going back now. In for a penny, in for a pound.

*brings up Muybs SAS posting history*
Makes sense.

• Locked thread