Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Between the drafts we added 4 South Australians, and one Victorian kid who has been on our development squad all year, not at all a reaction to Vic Metro kids loving off whenever they feel like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Can't talk about Bickford's if you ban Adelaide discussion :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Like, all of them? Or have they just moved the nominated rookie stuff to round 1?

What is the point of the rookie list, then? It doesn't do have any restrictions that the senior list doesn't have. Is it solely down to having looser requirements on contracts/payments/etc?

At a guess, this is step 1 on the road to phasing out the rookie list entirely, letting the teams play them like regular list players for a season or two before deleting the looser payment requirements when they remove the list entirely.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it seems great if all it allows is clubs to trade in players to cover injuries but if it lets players bail on clubs mid season then that could be just as disruptive as injuries.

Which it well do, because the Free Agency rules have demonstrated that the AFL lacks the wherewithal to copy the American system properly

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Former AFL star Michael Talia has signed with Norwood

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

Yeah this would be my concern, I'd prefer a state league draft over a inter-club trade period. Although I suspect state leagues would be pretty pissed losing good players and possibly screwing their season.

They would, but the AFL doesn't care in the slightest bit about inconveniences to state leagues.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bickford & Sons. Ginger Ale and Bitter Lemon for the designated drivers, Soda Water and Tonic Water for the mixers for everyone else

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The first and only time I went to the states, I went out to dinner with my distant local coworkers, ad when I ordered a root beer because I'd never had one before and wanted to try it, they and the waiter looked at me like I needed to be detained at Area 51.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's what non-Victorian teams have to do to put off players jumping back to a Melbourne team, for bottom 6 cap space overs plus media money, the first time their contract runs out after their breakout season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A contract at least prevents them from loving off for nothing, which is better than a constant stream of players flowing back to Melbourne on no-compensation 2 year free agency.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There are 10 teams in Victoria, from a league of 18; at any given time, it's a reasonable expectation 2+ of them are going to be in the bottom 6, looking to boost their squad, and because of depressed wages for squad players, having the cap space to do it; most of the football media is based on Melbourne, which means most of the media opportunities are in Melbourne, and all of the sponsors largely only care about viewers in Melbourne and Sydney, which means the majority of the personal sponsorship dollars are in Melbourne, particularly for headline talent.

it's an entirely inequitable system, but as long as the system keeps helping the have-not VFL clubs with memberships gasping for success win premierships, and boost what would otherwise be flagging crowds and ratings in Melbourne, they won't change a thing about it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 12, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

As good as Simmons would have been in the AFL, I have no doubt he made the right choice, and in 15 years will have earned enough money from max contracts and endorsements to buy the AFL on a whim. Quite often he looks like he's been told the NBA will be tough, challenging, and physically demanding, and he can't figure out why it's not yet, as he crashes through, around, and over multiple times all-defensive, all-NBA, and all-star defenders on his way to another basket or visionary assist.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It wouldn't have lasted 6 months, most of the teams in the VFL were already insolvent in 1988

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

'We don't think go home factor will be a problem for Vic Metro kids being drafted to the Christchurch Keas" - AFL House

"This back door allowing people to arrive in Australia from pacific islands, probably by boat, in order to steal jobs and benefits from our hard working Aussie footballers, is now closed" Obergruppenführer Dutton, some months later

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 20, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Apparently Harmes, Hogan, Kent, and Gawn were in Bali together, and Gawn has deleted all his social media pics from the trip.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Soft drink chat has taken an unexpected turn this season :stare:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The best siblings at the Adelaide Crows will be wearing 20 and 39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I also have no kids, so here's the Crows membership packs. Mine arrived separately on the 21st and 22nd

Membership card says 'Foundation Member' on the back instead of years :smug:

Hat just barely fits, but the first scarf they've done in a few years is a really nice one from ISC, long and thick, and good layout. Gold got both, silver had to choose between hat or scarf. e: Got a decent pen too, forgot to put it in the pic

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 30, 2017

• Locked thread