Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Schlesische posted:

Who's commentating?

Jason Bennett, Nigel Carmody, Daisy Pearce, Sam Lane & Dangerfield. The first two are VFL commentators for channel 7 and are a hell of a lot better than the other channel 7 commentators.

edit: Players like Vescio, Davey, Pearce, Harris and Brennan are essentially going to be a level above everyone else. Not a shock considering how many of them are from Darebin Falcons.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The line for Dogs vs Freo apparently stretching out to Barkly street. Living in Ipswich now so sadly minimal chance of seeing games in person now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

pkid posted:

The Women's jumper designs of both the Crows and Dogs is superior to the mens.
Discuss.

Dogs is literally a different shade of blue

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I've managed to get myself to a computer to watch teh Dogs - Freo game, and I am really enjoying the commentary.

You can really tell that Bennett is ESPN alumni. Carmody also goes alright, he was a bog standard when he started but he's turned out good.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Obvious standouts were Brennan, Kearney & Blackburn but I though that Ernst was great in the ruck while 21 & 22 for the Bulldogs were really important in defense.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

champion data continue their quest towards irrelevance by ranking Peter Wright as the best 20 year in the game since they started tracking this stuff in 2010. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cha...2331f673abea213

the gist of it:

note that cameron was the coleman runner up at age 20 with 62 goals for the year. apparently wrights 4.2 hitout per game average sealed the deal in the rankings.

what are champion data smoking?

The crazy thing is that Wright is a decoy for Lynch, Cameron was the main man and had no real assistance since Patton was constantly injured.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Even Norf improved their loving midfield by picking up Hrovat.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Both of the suspensions from this weekend were the correct calls, both times the player jumped into it with a raised elbow and clocked the opponent in the jaw. Sucks for the Collingwood player that she's missing a substantial chunk of the season but she knocked her opponent out with her hit.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So the Saints are obviously going to throw their money at Martin now since they were pretty keen on chasing Fyfe. Either that or they'll try something like dislodging Hopper or Shiel from GWS because the GWS cap is full to bursting.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/...508daac5e518ca6

what a world we live in

snaeksikn posted:

Fyfe still hasn't signed, so there's still an incredibly slim chance he could be dislodged from Freo

That said I reckon they will announce a new deal within the first month of the season if not sooner

Teams generally don't name an OOC free agent as captain unless they're really confident that said free agent will stick around

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

realbez posted:

'arguably the best under 21 player in the competition' welcome back to footy!!!!

Who's that describing?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I reckon Cloke looked good for the Bulldogs & Crameri looked good after a slow start while Brad Lynch will be real good winger while his body develops until he can play HBF. Wish I can say the same about Adams who really seemed to be bothered by his hand while Webb just seemed off.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Question: for the AFLW teams, 9000 was described as being a pretty good crowd. (And it was probably a bigger crowd than, for example, GWS had in some of its year one matches.) How big do we reckon crowds will eventually get? Will it be big enough to warrant maybe using actual AFL ovals?

And if not, would there maybe be room to expand AFLW into states that don't have AFL sides due to smaller populations? Like for example, one suggested reason Tassie doesn't have an AFL team has been that they have a relatively small population split up between Launceston and Hobart, but if they're not aiming for the 50,000 or so strong crowds that you get in the AFL, could Tassie sustain an AFLW team just as easily as one of the bigger states does?

I think they'll probably hover at about the 9-10k point. We had the first AFLW match that people had to pay to get into and it had a bigger turnout than the preseason match before it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Sounds like Roughead is probably going to miss the first four rounds with a hamstring. I knew it wasn't going to be an ACL because he grabbed the inside of his leg when he went down but I figured that a PCL was probably the likely result.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

8+ weeks for Rougheads hamstring

Tore the tendon where it joins with the knee, should be training by Easter

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Hinkley doesn't need this job anyways

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

HA!

Geelong has the most one dimensional midfield out of any finals threats. They don't exactly have much outside of those two and you can tell that the media struggle to name good kids for them when they bang on about Cockatoo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

realbez posted:

Cunnington got a week for kneeing Duryea in the head. I thought it was accidental when I saw it, but on replay it does sort of look deliberate. Sort of, maybe. Pretty harsh.

https://www.twitter.com/NMFCOfficial/status/836078584468905985

edit: why won't that embed the tweet? :argh:
The vast majority of the contact there is caused by Duryea, I can't see it being deliberate at all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

That might be Roarke Smith done; third year as a rookie and it looks like he hurt the knee that he did the ACL in a couple of years ago. That's a massive shame, he's basically Wood's Mini-Me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

Umpire throws ball in. Throw is short. Ball hits a crows player in the back (he's watching the ruckmen and not the ball). Umpire pays a free against the crows as per the new no third man up rules.

:suicide:

Yeah, I've seen it in the Women's matches where if there is a poo poo throw then the players have to mill around like morons and not touch it because they're not the nominated rucks.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

tnimark posted:

The TAC is ending its relationship with Geelong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvGECYB6Gs

TAC told Geelong that they would drop them if they had one more incident after Smedts got busted and the captain getting busted 27/kms over the speed limit will do that. Should have ducked down a side street or something

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

"My club isn't in there" is what I faced with American MLS for a couple years. So I watched the league as a third party, Portland moved up, and now we're there.

The other argument, "what about the talent pool," seems to strike me as disingenuous. If - hypothetical - you opened the other 10 clubs up next year, most would struggle for a year or two, yes, but I think within five years they'd all be relatively competitive. Why? Creating demand - more women may start the game older, but there are plenty who have switched or play multiple codes in AFLW already. And I think the clubs would find a way.

It does suck when your team isn't there, but cmon, it's footy.

The talent pool is already shallow enough with 8 teams. In a couple of years there should be enough to support an extra two teams but it doesn't have enough currently.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Volkerball posted:

How do you use like 50 more interchanges than your opponent and still get shitwrecked in the 4th quarter over fitness. Spend all that money on a new training facility and nobody even uses the loving thing. Ugh. That does not bode well.

Bulldogs played with no intensity for the first half, capped our rotations and didn't use two players on our bench. We've done that the last couple of preseasons so that we're adjusted for the coming season.

edit: The first half wasn't exactly a success because we need to minimise the damage when our intensity is down but every game we actually turned up to play the final quarter we either just fell short or won.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 10, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Good, they never should have had the Albury region to begin with. O&M is a strong league and kids were drafted from the area all the time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

hooray twilight grand final this year look how excited I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PX7eU-fXDE

AFL ad starring Thor

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Well, Collingwood has to either win or get a really high score while losing in order for Melbourne to make the grand final.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

A few days ago, but I just saw this on the AFL website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-15/aflw-stars-join-multicultural-ambassadors-program

Dyson Heppell - Australian

We're selecting multi-cultural ambassadors so here's a White Australian who are super underrepresented in the community and on sporting fields.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Ah poo poo, we need another person then because I just joined

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

did the truth ever come out about jeremy howe's mysterious broken finger last year which he also blamed on his dog?

Didn't he admit that he broke it playing cricket?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It makes me laugh that people still trot out the finished 7th thing. Besides the fact that we won four finals in a row, we went into the final match against Freo not giving a poo poo because Adelaide laying down like bitches after losing Sloane meant that winning would have made no difference on where we placed.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

If this humidity keeps up in Melbourne the round 1 matches are going to be utterly hosed, it's like loving FNQ here

Brisbane humidity is loving garbo at the moment also so I can't imagine Metricon being much better

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Cow Dude at 22. Let's bow our heads boys

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Give me those sweet, sweet points

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snoremac posted:

What was the Carlton banner thing the Fox Footy people were criticizing?

Trying really hard to emulate the Bulldogs banners

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Ben Reid has to go also, intentionally gouged Morris' eyes

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

37 for the Maggies is dirty also, smacked JJ in the face after the ball went out

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snoremac posted:

Is Travis Cloke a piece of poo poo, or formerly a piece of poo poo by association w/ Pies?

Was their full forward until this year, they're just bitter as hell

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Jong has picked up 11 tackles in a half, I see the same dickheads screaming about how he's poo poo and a liability. It's like loving clockwork

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

And the Dogs injury curse raises its ugly head with seconds left on the clock.

E: Maybe?

Walked off unassisted, hope it's just a sprain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Big Boys are doing pretty well so far; Martin, Treloar, Howe, Libba & Hunter have all posted 100+ scores.

• Locked thread